BANGKOK 23 May 2019 16:01
Sign in to follow this  
pastafarian

Foreigners may no longer require a teacher's license?

So, Just to be clear.

You can only get a maximum 2 TL waivers. So that's 4 years total. If you haven't passed all 4 tests and taken a Thai culture course in that time, then you are out of luck. Correct?

My understanding was that if you were taking the tests (not Passing) and trying to improve yourself, you would get another waiver. This is not the case, Yes?

It's a little confusing to say the least.

I hope this never happens. I teach English (part time) in a local education center and of the several other English teachers here, the only one that actually CAN speak English ( I'm English BTW) is Canadian. I have stood in for many other teachers here and their students speaking and writing skills are way below what they should be. I struggle to understand them on many occasions, with even the simplest of phrases. Yet somehow they always seem to get good grades. Myself and the Canadian teacher have discussed this many times and are appalled by the quality of the English education here. Allowing just anyone to teach will only serve to make the situation worse.

P.S The spell checker here, has just tried to correct the word "Center" to "Centre". ( Mine is the correct English spelling). Case proven lol

sorry but people now rarely write - they text. tweet, etc in a language that although gramatically incorrect is understandable to them. This trend will continue so that one day you will only be signing your name.

the problem is practice in speaking English - as there's not enough NES people to go around and no incentive to offer their services.

if the Government relaxes the Immigration rules then some NES retirees might give up some time to speak English with these kids - I say this as the Schools and Uni's dont pay that much - so if a retiree gives up a few hours a week for English classes the Government should give them special consideration when applying for the retirement extension visa or the 90 day show your face rule.

There are 6 schools and Uni's around where I live and I bet they would go for this idea.

Won't happen, if you're a retiree they'll just think you're here with dollops of cash and more free time on your hands than anyone could dream of. They will think they're doing you a favour by helping you fill in your spare time instead of flirting with dolly's, drinking, reading, watching TV, going to the gym, sightseeing, going to nice restaurants and other wasteless retiree pursuits. They will always want everything for free and still expect you to graab to them if they are gracious enough to allow you a visa extension.

So, Just to be clear.

You can only get a maximum 2 TL waivers. So that's 4 years total. If you haven't passed all 4 tests and taken a Thai culture course in that time, then you are out of luck. Correct?

My understanding was that if you were taking the tests (not Passing) and trying to improve yourself, you would get another waiver. This is not the case, Yes?

It's a little confusing to say the least.

I believe teachers at non-formal (language) schools, International schools, vocational colleges and universities are exempt from TCT Teacher Licensing requirements. Also, if you work for an agency that's licensed as a non-formal school and sub-contracts teachers to formal schools, you should be exempt as well, but this depends on how a particular labour office views these rules.