2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what Ive read about this bike (a few years ago) is that its nothing short of amazing. Great power, great in the city, great in the country, great on the high way, excellent riding position, excellent fuel economy.... Im pretty sure it also won bike of the year, maybe even a few times. I checked about 6 months ago (when i was first thinking of moving here) if they are selling it in Thailand and it was a no... I bought a PCX recently, but this is very interesting.... Probably the best "do anything" bike on the market.

The question ia how can they sell it in thailand for this price?

Normally, it needs to cost 480 k thb in thailand if it is import.

Maybe it is made in an Asean country?

Goos bike imo for long hauls. Goos reviews.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe I missed something, but isn't this just Suzuki's version of the Versys, about 40k Baht more expensive and without the dealer support network?

From what I've been told, they are not even close.

The SV650 is allegedly a wheelie machine, and obviously a V-Twin as opposed to a parallel.

Like to hear some first-hand info from those who have owned/ridden both though.

Either way, more choice at closer-to-reasonable prices is most definitely a good thing IMO.

FWIW - here is a vid of an SV650 filming a Husky 610 - looks like fun!

Maybe I missed something, but isn't this just Suzuki's version of the Versys, about 40k Baht more expensive and without the dealer support network?

The SV650 is allegedly a wheelie machine, and obviously a V-Twin as opposed to a parallel.

Either way, more choice at closer-to-reasonable prices is most definitely a good thing IMO.

Holy cow, those guys loos like they are having fun and very skilled riders too but not wearing much safety gear eh, must be very confident indeed.

France, was there on a touring trip many many years ago, beautiful place.

V-Twin sounds good too, better than a parallel any day.

Yes very easy to pull wheelies smile.png

But theres a problem with the back cylinder when doing longgggg wheelies, the front cylinder doesnt get enough oil when the front end is lifted. But this wont affect 99% of riders though.

On the SV 650 the air intake is choked off by the frame, the intake duct is too close to the frame, if you lift the gastank by 1 centimeter (no more) acceleration and top speed increases a lot, this is also an engine that benefits from removing the emissions system.

Loved my SV 650, the clutch draw was a little on the hard side, the seat was a butt killer and sits higher and more forward than an ER6. Top speed is around 200kph / 125 mph sitting upright, would probably hit around 215-230 kph in full crouch. These engines just start to break in after 25k miles / 40k kilometers, loads of low end torque.

The V-twin sounds like a cheap mans Ducati.

My 2004 SV 650 at Los Flores Canyon in Malibu

image.jpg

pig cop that got me the first day i had it LOL

pig.jpg

Thats good news, not that the Kawa 650 range are bad at all - they helped create the big-bike market here in LOS to a certain degree.

It is good to hear the feedback on this bike as it is a bike that has a history, and is not simply a new project designed to maximize the cost/profit ratio.

I'd heard great things about this bike even 10 years ago.....and excellent to see something that is 'made in Japan' available here at that sort of price.

Nice one Suzuki!

Gave them a quick call. Seems delivery is about December or January. Colors available: White, grey and red (not orange), so probably different from the colors in the picture of the OP.

I for one like the styling, kind of a "poor mans" Triumph 800....well yeah, i know far fetched.....;)

amazing that they just pop up like that, without any prior build up or intro or rumours of them coming out with it. Their website does not have any info on it yet even....poor website anyhow.

Asked the sales staff about show room in Phuket. "No have now, but maybe soon....".

One ting I not quite understand, how come Suzuki can import this bike and sell it relatively cheap compared to the big Hondas I seen at Honda Big Wing?

Consider that the Thai manufactured Hondas are more expensive in Thailand than in America (after shipping and import taxes) and you may have the answer.

Gave them a quick call. Seems delivery is about December or January. Colors available: White, grey and red (not orange), so probably different from the colors in the picture of the OP.

I for one like the styling, kind of a "poor mans" Triumph 800....well yeah, i know far fetched.....wink.png

amazing that they just pop up like that, without any prior build up or intro or rumours of them coming out with it. Their website does not have any info on it yet even....poor website anyhow.

Asked the sales staff about show room in Phuket. "No have now, but maybe soon....".

Suzuki would have got payback on most of the research and development costs years ago, ongoing changes/improvements aren't a big drain on the finances for an in production model.

And my guess is they want a bigger slice of the medium/big bike pie. So a few models that sell well, albeit at a lower profit, will fatten the bottom line for Suzuki LOS HQ.

They can't be selling a lot of Gixxer's or Hayabusa's.....so the only way is up in the sales statistics!

With about 10% more HP, 5% torque, and built in Japan.

So probably what one would get adding a pipe, filter and fuel controller to a Versys, which would probably cost more than 40k anyway, plus you're still left with a modded Thai bike compared to a stock Jap one.

Archived