2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

Hi deecypher,

I bought black for asthectic reasons but if you have the red strom alloy colour would look good also. I would imagine the alloy colour would have a coating on of some sort. Panniers get scratched very easily and the alloy colour would'nt show the marks so readily as the black which to be honest I only thought of afterwards.

Just measured my rack and the modified width is 52cm so the existing width was 62cm. The 37ltr box is 25cm wide so the 48ltr box must be 35cm giving a standard outside width of 122cm. Way to wide in my opinion and it made filtering a nightmare and looked ridiculous. 2 x 37ltr with standard rack will drop of 100cm but you have to live with the offset as you would with any system with equal boxes. My modified system comes in at total width102cm. Total handle bar width is 90cm so the boxes are 6cm rather than 16cm wider each side which it makes it so much easier to judge when filtering narrow gaps and when I or others look at the bike it looks right. The main problem is the stupid silencer which I am sure Suzuki could have fitted much better. I had always intended modifying the silencer anyway so technically there was little extra cost regarding the pannier mod. For me the mod was worth doing and 2x37ltr boxes have plenty of capacity and I am now very pleased with the set up in every way. if your interested in modifying your pipe and rack then I can help with this.

Hi deecypher,

Very pleased with my Givi boxes and like their quick release system but SW Motech should be top quality to. You pays your money and takes your choice. Regarding the skid plates they are progressing along and should have some available soon. I have changed the design slightly to allow easier oil filter access and increased from 3mm to 4mm alloy sheet for added strength. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Alan. One follow up on your Givis if I may:

1) I know you opted for the black powder coating. Did you get them for aesthetics or because you wanted to avoid aluminum oxide dust. I personally like the silver version, but don't want to deal with oxide dust smudging on my gear.

2) I know you modified the PL___CAM rack to make it even narrower, but do you know the width between the inner edge of the cases before you modified? I'm trying to discern my maximum top case width.

Cheers! E

post-82017-0-82389600-1405213236_thumb.j

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys,

At last the long awaited skid plates are now available. The Ravetech skid plates are manufactured from 4mm Aluminium with a durable powder coat finish. These skid plates do not mount to any engine casings. They mount directly to the frame and Suzuki or Givi crash bars in order to provide maximum engine protection and no vibration. Oil & filter changes can be done with the the plate fitted but removal and refitting takes less than 5 mins. These units fit with standard or after market exhausts / silencers and center stands. These Skid Plates are of a very high quality and add engine and oil filter protection and also provide a nice finish to that area that has something missing!.

They come complete with all fittings and instruction and free fitting to any customers coming to Buriram.

Priced at just 5,300 baht

Postage can be provided and will be charged at base Thai Post rates. I will be visiting the Post Office next week to get rates to cover all provinces.

For further details contact me on [email protected].

As most of you are aware I have run my own bike over several months and over 5000km with a prototype product. This has been a total success except access to the oil filter. The new product addresses that problem which also allows for easier access to other engine parts without any loss in protection.

post-82017-0-24856700-1405688280_thumb.j

post-82017-0-39653300-1405688321_thumb.j

post-82017-0-99117500-1405688373_thumb.j

post-82017-0-88329700-1405688409_thumb.j

post-82017-0-87703300-1405688466_thumb.j

post-82017-0-28961500-1405688513_thumb.j

post-82017-0-24319000-1405688564_thumb.j

Before and after......

Nice work there Alan! I might just have to take you up on one if these plates soon. Just picked up my alu Givi Outbacks, crashbars, airflow windscreen and Shad SH48 top box today.

No less than a few hours in BKK and I got rear-ended by a city bus! Minor dent on the left box and a mini scratch on the right crashbar, but no injury thank goodness.

Gotta get the heck outa this town before it kills me.

Before and after......

Nice work there Alan! I might just have to take you up on one if these plates soon. Just picked up my alu Givi Outbacks, crashbars, airflow windscreen and Shad SH48 top box today.

No less than a few hours in BKK and I got rear-ended by a city bus! Minor dent on the left box and a mini scratch on the right crashbar, but no injury thank goodness.

Riding in Bangkok is no fun at the best of times. As you said no injury to yourself but you never said about the bus driver? 555.

Before and after......

sorry to hear this. Bus drivers are the worst here in Bangkok. Very careless, aggressive and disrespectful driving with 5 bottles of redbull per day! Thai motorists dont like them as well.

and bangkok is not a good place for a v strom for sure!

glad you are fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks a well made and functional item at a reasonable price!

Well done, Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have seen Alan's Ravetech skid plate up close on another V Strom in Buriram.

It is everything as described.

Exceptionally well made and very functional.

The owner of this V Strom is very happy with it thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well done, Alan

Well done, Alan

I have seen Alan's Ravetech skid plate up close on another V Strom in Buriram.

It is everything as described.

Exceptionally well made and very functional.

The owner of this V Strom is very happy with it alt=thumbsup.gif>

Thanks guys,

Two prototypes were run on my bike and another for over 5000km with no running problems but did highlight some improvements that have been made. They consisted of reducing the sidewalls to allow access for oil and filter changes with the plate in position and also allowing better access for cleaning. The other thing which I addressed was to move the front ventilation holes further out leaving the middle portion solid. This was to stop all the crap coming off the front wheel spraying up into the engine and exhaust area. Whilst I was at it I stepped up from 3mm alloy to 4mm and these plates really are the business now. Very easy to fit and I can also supply Givi bars if needed and as I said before I will offer free fitting in Buriram. Please contact me if your interested.

Thanks

Alan

Having had two Versys due to that was all that was available at the time and enjoyed the tits out of both of them I can truly say that the V Strom is so much more. Handling for a street bike on paper the Versys should be better but in real life I can push the V Strom harder with less effort and much more confidence. The engine is much more usable and the brakes and suspension are chalk and cheese also. Off road the V Strom tracks better and much easier to catch when it tries to let go from under you than the Versy. I paid the extra and it was a money well spent IMO.

I think that this is a perfect "bigger" bike for Thailand. It has decent suspension and as long as the brakes and tyres ok wont need to many mods. I would consider the dealer shortage a concern so my versys will have to do. Not the most beautiful bike but has some good angles.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most reviews see the Versys as a better street bike and the V-Strom as a better kinda-offroad bike with the 19" front. If you have a Versys I'd think the "upgrade" to a V-Strom would be disappointing. Some things are better, some are worse, and in the end you paid money for nothing. And yeah service would be a concern; Kawasaki is outstanding in that regard.

Having had two Versys due to that was all that was available at the time and enjoyed the tits out of both of them I can truly say that the V Strom is so much more. Handling for a street bike on paper the Versys should be better but in real life I can push the V Strom harder with less effort and much more confidence. The engine is much more usable and the brakes and suspension are chalk and cheese also. Off road the V Strom tracks better and much easier to catch when it tries to let go from under you than the Versy. I paid the extra and it was a money well spent IMO.

I think that this is a perfect "bigger" bike for Thailand. It has decent suspension and as long as the brakes and tyres ok wont need to many mods. I would consider the dealer shortage a concern so my versys will have to do. Not the most beautiful bike but has some good angles.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most reviews see the Versys as a better street bike and the V-Strom as a better kinda-offroad bike with the 19" front. If you have a Versys I'd think the "upgrade" to a V-Strom would be disappointing. Some things are better, some are worse, and in the end you paid money for nothing. And yeah service would be a concern; Kawasaki is outstanding in that regard.

I will have to take a rest ride on a V-Strom , my Versys is great for what it is, but I would love a bit more guts in overtaking. When I bought the Versys (2010) there wasn't much on the market compared to now. Wont actually be buying anything until next year and may keep the Versys anyway. Great to have such choices now.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought it was time for an update regarding the skid plates and other things. Several Ravetech Skid Plates are now fitted to several V- Strom's with the customers being very happy. Discussions with Suzuki Khon Kaen are very positive with the intendion of visiting the other Suzuki dealerships shortly. Another service Ravetech are now offering a supply and fitment service of quality accessories to kit your bike out how you want it. Either simple protection to full blown touring spec with all work carried out to farang standards. We just took delivery of the bike pictured directly from the dealership for ongoing delivery by us to Khoa Yai with many high spec accessory fitted.

Givi Treker Outback 37 ltr black aluminium side boxes.

Givi Crash Bars

Ravetech Skid Plate

Givi Spot lights

Center Stand

12v & USB dash mounted sockets with ignition energised relay

Fender extender

Ventura Lens Protectors

68,000 baht

Anybody interested in having their V Strom or another bike please contact [email protected]

post-82017-0-16945000-1410174409_thumb.j

post-82017-0-74591600-1410174975_thumb.j

post-82017-0-85181100-1410175049_thumb.j

post-82017-0-15513600-1410175094_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Based on the silence of this thread these days. Bang for buck, it;s probably the best deal to be had pretty much anywhere especially in Thailand where it suits the mixture of roads we have here.

I am riding to Nan again this month with 8 other farlang's and five of us will be on V-Strom's so I know they are selling really but I am quite surprised more contributions have not being added to the thread for a while.

Based on the silence of this thread these days. Bang for buck, it;s probably the best deal to be had pretty much anywhere especially in Thailand where it suits the mixture of roads we have here.

I am riding to Nan again this month with 8 other farlang's and five of us will be on V-Strom's so I know they are selling really but I am quite surprised more contributions have not being added to the thread for a while.

Yes I agree about the V-strom, only thing putting me off is lack of proper dealer ship in Pattaya.

I will likely buy a used Versus 650 soon which is a near sibling to the Strom.

No the bike forum here is pretty dead, I been a lot on the UK.Versus forum lately in order to collect as much info about the Versus as possilbe and I got heaps of good info and they discuss all kind of bike matters very civilized.

I am sure there is a big V-Strom forum out there somehwere.

Hey Alan, I blew my wad on the new bike, luggage, crash bars, windscreen, etc. so I need to save up a bit, buy your product is on the top of my list!

Your trip to Nan sounds like heaps of fun, I haven't connected with any riders in my area yet (Ban Chang, Rayong).

As far as Suzuki in Patts in concerned, I had a great experience with them. I purchased my bike from Mityon but all the service is performed through Suzuki on Sukhumvit. The staff at Mityon are great, they got my green book, plates and English manual fairly quickly. Also not sure if this is standard, but the 2 year warranty seems to include labour, even on standard service like oil changes, all you have to pay for is the oil itself. I know the dealer network isn't the same as Kawa, but it's growing and the bike is just so much nicer that the Versys IMHO.

And now, a pic from Koh Tao...

post-197531-0-53487700-1415871694_thumb.

Looks as though the Thai dealership's are doing a good job these days and well impressed they are serving up English hand books. Not sure I got any book!.

With all that's happening up here with an established big bike community and International Race circuit you would think they would have the sense to open a dealership in Buriram. Ah well.

There are some pretty active Thai forum's for the V Strom but not always easy to follow or contribute.

When were done I will post a report on the Nan trip or rather I will post my mates report as he has a talent for that sort of thing. Nine of us going, 5 x V-Strom 650's, 2 x Multistrada's a CB500X and Er6n. Strange not to have a Versys going this time! Five of us did Nan earlier this year and it is as good as it gets. There was a Versys that trip! Reversing the route this time with a few changes.

Another project I am working on is a Versys skid plate. There is very little choice for the Versys and as the project has developed I can understand why. It's not been an easy one but we have almost cracked it.

I plan to do a Honda CB500X once the Versys is finished and if anybody with a 2014 1000 V-Strom wants to let me model a skid plate on their bike in the near future I would love to hear from you. It will need to be fitted with crash bars and It would be better for somebody local to Buriram as their are normally several fittings required to get everything 100%. We would only require the bike during day times and there is a free skid plate at the end of it.

• 1 year later...

Hi All...

I have some experience on a V-Strom. I purchased a 06 in 07 with about 3300 miles on it. After many bikes have come and gone, my Wee is my #1 bike now with almost 50k miles on it. Right about now, it's on a ship heading toward bkk. This is a do everything pretty well bike. Not great for off road, not great for touring, not great for city traffic (U.S. okay but def. not Bangkok) but it's an all around great bike. It's never been to the dealer and the only thing done is chains, tires, brakes, & reg. maintenance stuff. I'm really looking forward to making some great trips in SE Asia!!

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Hi All...

I have some experience on a V-Strom. I purchased a 06 in 07 with about 3300 miles on it. After many bikes have come and gone, my Wee is my #1 bike now with almost 50k miles on it. Right about now, it's on a ship heading toward bkk. This is a do everything pretty well bike. Not great for off road, not great for touring, not great for city traffic (U.S. okay but def. not Bangkok) but it's an all around great bike. It's never been to the dealer and the only thing done is chains, tires, brakes, & reg. maintenance stuff. I'm really looking forward to making some great trips in SE Asia!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, are you importing your bike or just for a tour?

Hi All...

Jeff

Importing--it arrived last week and I'm setting it up now. They tell me it will take three months to get a license for it! Amazing.

Hi All...

Jeff

Importing--it arrived last week and I'm setting it up now. They tell me it will take three months to get a license for it! Amazing.

Have you been told the import process regards tax/duty and emissions test?

Be good if you can keep us updated.

Hi All...

Jeff

Have you been told the import process regards tax/duty and emissions test?

Be good if you can keep us updated.

Archived