2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

Maybe I missed something, but isn't this just Suzuki's version of the Versys, about 40k Baht more expensive and without the dealer support network?

With about 10% more HP, 5% torque, and built in Japan.

So probably what one would get adding a pipe, filter and fuel controller to a Versys, which would probably cost more than 40k anyway, plus you're still left with a modded Thai bike compared to a stock Jap one.

Correct and don't forget a V-Twin engine. Love them V-Twinsthumbsup.gif

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's coming but all the reviews I've read the Versys and Suzuki are very close in terms of performance. The 2013 V Strom doesn't even have USD forks (Versys does), maybe the 2014 does? Plus it's 40k more expensive than the Versys, which is a lot of mods or a few fun tours up north. We already have the CB500X and the Versys.

I just wished they'd brought something a bit different rather than more of the same (even if it is 10% better that what's already here, which is debatable). I also question the dealer support for a new model, I haven't seen too many Suzuki dealerships springing up all over the place but hopefully that will follow.

So IMO the 2 line up like this...

Versys 40k cheaper

Versys loads of dealer support and cheap spares

Versys tons of aftermarket parts

V Strom "maybe" 10% better if you ride more fire trails than roads.

My main hope is that the Japs will do the same thing with some other, more exciting models, maybe they're realizing that Thai consumers are fed up with ripoff prices and it's better to sell a load of bikes at small margins than one or two bikes at massive margins.

Fair play to Suzuki for doing this, I commend them - I just wish they'd chosen something a bit more exciting. What's next, the mighty Gladius to compete with the er6n and CB500F? I'd rather see a 2014 GSXR750 at 400-450k to blow the competition out of the water...

350 k is good price but v strom is a bike around for long time and looka and performs the same for 10 years.

I hope suzuki brings gixxer 600 or 750 as well soon.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree with the comments on dealership network, etc. Nonetheless excited that Suzuki becomes another player in the Big Bike market. For me the difference of 40,000 Baht I assume. Versys is 310,000 something I believe vs the V-Strom 350,000 is more than justified by the fact that the V-Strom is a fully imported model and not manufactured in Thailand. Right now in the pre-launch period you also get free 1st class insurance, and register.

Probably excited as it looks different than yet another Versys on the street....:)

Damn'it spoiled for choice now: Was considering the KTM Duke 690 or a Mulitstrada, but could not quite bring myself to cough up the high prices. Waiting to see the new Hypermotard prices, which at least are closer to 500,000 than 800,000. I know pretty much different purpose bikes, but then again, i am not so sure what i am going to do with the bike yet anyway....time will only tell, after many years cars only. My heart says KTM Duke 690R....yammy. Brain says V-Strom.

I recently went to a Suzuki dealers' meeting. Suzuki Thailand will sell the bikes first and then give existing Suzuki small bike dealers the option of opening a Suzuki big bike showroom. It may take some time, but eventually there will be Suzuki big bike dealers all over the country. We are also a Suzuki small bike dearer and are thinking of opening one of the big bike showrooms here in Nonthaburi.

I recently went to a Suzuki dealers' meeting. Suzuki Thailand will sell the bikes first and then give existing Suzuki small bike dealers the option of opening a Suzuki big bike showroom. It may take some time, but eventually there will be Suzuki big bike dealers all over the country. We are also a Suzuki small bike dearer and are thinking of opening one of the big bike showrooms here in Nonthaburi.

Suzuki sure as hell could use a boost, don't see many Suzuki's on the streets nowadays.

Suzuki sure as hell could use a boost, don't see many Suzuki's on the streets nowadays.

same as kawasaki before they went the niche/big bike route.

maybe suzuki will follow with the same tactics.

I just ordered one, unseen. :o) Bank deposit 15000 baht. Have no time to go to BKK now and i wanted to place the order before 25th Sept for the promotion. Expected delivery - December.

I have been waiting for the Versys to come out with a new model for more than a year now. I had hope it would happen 2013 and now it seems it will not happen for the 2014 model eihter. (Don't like the awkward looking headlight).

What do you guys think about the price? Will it drop after while as seen on many other newly introduced bikes?

/T

^

I ordered my bike without having seen one in person either;)

I think the price is damned good for LOS (certainly lower than I would have guessed)- I doubt it will drop, and if it goes down 20K in a year, so what? I'd rather have and enjoy the bike for a while than wait for a possible price drop that might never come.

Good for you- you'll dig the V-Strom.

Does this have ABS?

Performance wise I remember reading lots of reviews when the Versys came out - Versys and V-Strom were always pretty close. Versys maybe a bit more street oriented.

Good price for a made in Japan bike, that's for sure. Especially if it comes with ABS which should be a 20-30k value.

Does this have ABS?

Performance wise I remember reading lots of reviews when the Versys came out - Versys and V-Strom were always pretty close. Versys maybe a bit more street oriented.

Good price for a made in Japan bike, that's for sure. Especially if it comes with ABS which should be a 20-30k value.

Yes it does

Spent 5 hours in Bangkoks rush hours trying to find the place where i could see one. I have no clue why the sales person first directed us to there office at Suzuki Aveny as there were no V-strom to see there. It took us 2.5 hours to find it. No the V-stom is to see at Promenade Mall i was told. Another 2 hours was spent before we found that place.

Here are some pictures. It looks much bigger/longer than Versys

13709437.jpg

13709445.jpg

13709446.jpg

13709447.jpg

Over-rated waste of money.

The next day, Sean and I were feeling restless, so took the V-Strom and CB500X up Angeles Crest Highway to grab lunch at Newcomb’s Ranch. I rode the CB500X on the way up there, he rode it back. It was just a jeans-and-jackets casual ride, but on the way up the mountain I did my usual thing, passing supposedly larger, faster bikes — this time an R1200GS and a guy in a really unfortunate leather onesie on KTM 990 Super Duke. The little Honda proved a willing companion for fast riding, its height and upright riding position affording a great view around corners and cars and its Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires delivering plenty of confidence even over the melted tar snakes on this very hot day. A lot like the other 500s, just with better forks and vision.

Then, on the way down, I hopped on the V-Strom and followed Sean. That mid-capacity Suzuki is one of our favorite all-round bikes. It’s light and manageable in the city, all-day comfortable on the highway and, most surprisingly, a blast on twisty roads like this one. But man, after that Honda, it felt positively portly. It felt heavy to push around, slow to steer and its more powerful engine was less willing to rev match downshifts and just wasn’t as able to play along with spirited riding than the smaller Honda. Wow.

For the first time ever, I actually had a hard time keeping up with our very own Captain Slow, as he just merrily scooted down the mountain, with no idea that I was trying hard, but still falling back.

Back in town, things got even worse. A bike that we’d previously considered a good companion for splitting heavy traffic suddenly felt large and cumbersome trying to keep up with the dinky Honda. The CB500X would just scoot through gaps that were simply too small for the V-Strom to fit through at all.

Don’t get us wrong, the larger Suzuki is going to be the more capable tourer, but in town or on a mountain road, the little Honda is the much more capable machine.

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-honda-cb500x/

Good bike, V twin alwayyys better than parallel. Rememebr the SV650, quite modded. was/is the standard "little league" race bike in the us, still popolar at track schools, etc.

However moons ago I was riding with a friend that had one, I had the '00 Ninja 6R. At the red light he asked me to "start quick" as he was curious to "see the difference". Well, there was much, much difference.

Personally, saving to buy new in that price range, Iwould shell out the 25K bath more and get the Z800.

Over-rated waste of money.

The next day, Sean and I were feeling restless, so took the V-Strom and CB500X up Angeles Crest Highway to grab lunch at Newcomb’s Ranch. I rode the CB500X on the way up there, he rode it back. It was just a jeans-and-jackets casual ride, but on the way up the mountain I did my usual thing, passing supposedly larger, faster bikes — this time an R1200GS and a guy in a really unfortunate leather onesie on KTM 990 Super Duke. The little Honda proved a willing companion for fast riding, its height and upright riding position affording a great view around corners and cars and its Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires delivering plenty of confidence even over the melted tar snakes on this very hot day. A lot like the other 500s, just with better forks and vision.

Then, on the way down, I hopped on the V-Strom and followed Sean. That mid-capacity Suzuki is one of our favorite all-round bikes. It’s light and manageable in the city, all-day comfortable on the highway and, most surprisingly, a blast on twisty roads like this one. But man, after that Honda, it felt positively portly. It felt heavy to push around, slow to steer and its more powerful engine was less willing to rev match downshifts and just wasn’t as able to play along with spirited riding than the smaller Honda. Wow.

For the first time ever, I actually had a hard time keeping up with our very own Captain Slow, as he just merrily scooted down the mountain, with no idea that I was trying hard, but still falling back.

Back in town, things got even worse. A bike that we’d previously considered a good companion for splitting heavy traffic suddenly felt large and cumbersome trying to keep up with the dinky Honda. The CB500X would just scoot through gaps that were simply too small for the V-Strom to fit through at all.

Don’t get us wrong, the larger Suzuki is going to be the more capable tourer, but in town or on a mountain road, the little Honda is the much more capable machine.

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-honda-cb500x/

Depending on which magazine or review you're 'riding', so's the Honda (in the 'R' configuration) in comparison to the Ninja 300:

If we don’t sound over the moon about the CBR500R, it’s mostly because of our expectations. We assumed it would be a step between the willing CBR250R and a true supersport like the CBR600RR. It’s not. Instead, it’s something entirely different, a sensible small motorcycle with good build quality, solid performance, and commendable efficiency. It’s the bike you’d recommend to a new rider, an acquaintance. But for your friends with true sporting intentions and a thirst for authentic mechanical presence—point them at a Ninja 300. Save a couple of bucks and forgo the ABS. The littlest Ninja looks great in Pearl White.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1307_honda_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/viewall.html#ixzz2ffo65seh

The fact is that a single review (that I've seen posted several times- yes, Wes Stiler likes the new Honda) isn't the end-all-be-all for any motorcycle- there are other valid opinions, and calling the V-Strom an 'over-rated waste of money' based on what one reviewer has said is a bit over-the-top..

Good bike, V twin alwayyys better than parallel. Rememebr the SV650, quite modded. was/is the standard "little league" race bike in the us, still popolar at track schools, etc.

However moons ago I was riding with a friend that had one, I had the '00 Ninja 6R. At the red light he asked me to "start quick" as he was curious to "see the difference". Well, there was much, much difference.

Personally, saving to buy new in that price range, Iwould shell out the 25K bath more and get the Z800.

Z800 is tempting but I think its too heavy for non motorway riding and it certainly isn't a touring bike. Sure it is a very beautiful aggressive looking steed but I am not convinced that it will sell well here in LOS(I hope I'm proved wrong).

Wee Strom is on my list of possibles as a newt bike and I'd like to hear from any owners here with a review.

Was at promonade last saturday to check the bikes.

I checked v strom and it is huge. A nuce comfy ass hauler it looks like. Very comfy seat too.

The manager lady said, suzuki have plabs to produce big bikes next year in thailand. Hope it will happen!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13799102319179_thumb.jpg

post-184955-1379910244533_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13799102664337_thumb.jpg

It's horses for courses. IMHO the V-Strom will make a more accomplished go most places tourer than the CB500X. It costs a fair bit more than the Honda but I think you're getting a lot more bike for your money. That's not to say that the Honda isn't a decent little bike in it's own right.

• 1 month later...

Archived