2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

It's horses for courses. IMHO the V-Strom will make a more accomplished go most places tourer than the CB500X. It costs a fair bit more than the Honda but I think you're getting a lot more bike for your money. That's not to say that the Honda isn't a decent little bike in it's own right.

+1 exactly

Still impressed V-Strom is so close to the Versys in price. Must be the FTA with Japan?!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I remember now sorry.

I remember asking this to manager lady of suzuki on bike show as well but could not geta satisfactory answer like how come that cheap.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think that this is a perfect "bigger" bike for Thailand. It has decent suspension and as long as the brakes and tyres ok wont need to many mods. I would consider the dealer shortage a concern so my versys will have to do. Not the most beautiful bike but has some good angles.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think that this is a perfect "bigger" bike for Thailand. It has decent suspension and as long as the brakes and tyres ok wont need to many mods. I would consider the dealer shortage a concern so my versys will have to do. Not the most beautiful bike but has some good angles.

Most reviews see the Versys as a better street bike and the V-Strom as a better kinda-offroad bike with the 19" front. If you have a Versys I'd think the "upgrade" to a V-Strom would be disappointing. Some things are better, some are worse, and in the end you paid money for nothing. And yeah service would be a concern; Kawasaki is outstanding in that regard.

No arguments with any of that. I was speaking from my 3 month ago purchase of a new versys. My experience with 3 trips to kanchanaburi for some ride outs has made me appreciate many good things about the bike and the v-strom's off road capabilities are wasted on me. Love to imagine a world tour but its doubtful in my lifetime.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im heading back from China today and is due to pick up my v-strom. But im getting a second thought as it might be difficult to get spare parts and proper service around Pattaya area as the model does not seems to be so popular among farangs/thais living there. And I also plan to buy a fun car and the 350k could be better spent on tuning and customizations instead... And I already have a PCX150 and a CRF250 in the garage and GF thinks we need a car instead, so it has to be fun car then if spending money on one according to my opinion...

Though decision.... Go for the bike and buy a cheaper, boring car. Change to another bike like Honda NC700X and a cheaper car. Skip the bike and go for the nicer car.... What would you guys do?

Im heading back from China today and is due to pick up my v-strom. But im getting a second thought as it might be difficult to get spare parts and proper service around Pattaya area as the model does not seems to be so popular among farangs/thais living there. And I also plan to buy a fun car and the 350k could be better spent on tuning and customizations instead... And I already have a PCX150 and a CRF250 in the garage and GF thinks we need a car instead, so it has to be fun car then if spending money on one according to my opinion...

Though decision.... Go for the bike and buy a cheaper, boring car. Change to another bike like Honda NC700X and a cheaper car. Skip the bake and go for a nicer car.... What would you guys do?

I go for a bike always.

If you spend any time riding on poor road surfaces this seems the best choice IMHO. For me neither the V-Strom or Versys are good looking bikes and are definitely function over form - both good at what they do.

I agree, but think the WeeStrom looks better with its twin headlights.

Though decision.... Go for the bike and buy a cheaper, boring car. Change to another bike like Honda NC700X and a cheaper car. Skip the bake and go for a nicer car.... What would you guys do?

I go for a bike always.

I have to agree on that.

Fun bike (depending on needs): 250K baht up to +4 mill baht for top shelf Ducati.

Fun car (again depending on needs): +2 mill baht and up to perhaps +30mill for Bugatti Veyron (not sure you can get one for that, haven't checked since I saw my bank balance, lol).

I given up long time ago getting a fun car here, so I bought a new pick-up truck instead.

Though decision.... Go for the bike and buy a cheaper, boring car. Change to another bike like Honda NC700X and a cheaper car. Skip the bike and go for the nicer car.... What would you guys do?

Change the girlfriend.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Instead of the V-Strom I'd either get a Versys or a new Honda 650 inline 4.

By all tests V-Strom and Versys are head to head but Kawasaki has a large distribution network, spare parts are cheap and easily available, as are trained mechanics. Suzuki has nothing like that support network. Dealer support was one of the best things owning a Kawasaki. On top of that the Kawa is cheaper. Not even sure the V-Strom has ABS in Thailand.

I just sold my Versys to a friend who used to have a V-Strom and he said the Versys is better.

Cars, no. Cars aren't that much fun unless you're spending 8M Thb+ so as fun factor is concerned bike is way more bang for the buck.

I just sold my Versys to a friend who used to have a V-Strom and he said the Versys is better.

Just curious, was your mates a current model V Strom. as I understand the engine was upgraded a couple of years ago?

Just curious, was your mates a current model V Strom. as I understand the engine was upgraded a couple of years ago?

Might very well have been the old model as this was some years back. Was it a significant update?

All comparison tests I've read have them head to head...

Might very well have been the old model as this was some years back. Was it a significant update?

All comparison tests I've read have them head to head...

I read it had a number of improvements but more noticeably in the mechanics. You are right that they both are similar and good bikes. I think the V Strom"s are better on rough terrain and a bit quicker at low down acceleration.

Suzuki say the Big Bike network is coming (don't hold yer breath).

My own opinion is it looks better and I like to own a more uncommon bike (always have! 555 ). The fact that they are Japanese built also attracts me too.

If I recall, I think I read somewhere Suzuki are not going down the road of Honda and Kawasaki, who have a separate company dedicated to their larger bikes. Suzuki are retailing their larger bikes through their existing network of dealers. I have no idea how this will work in practice, particularly when it comes to repairs and maintenance. I mean it is a huge leap from a Smash to a Hayabusa.

I was surprised to actually see a Gladius out on the road today just outside of Prachinburi city.

If they ever do expand their network of service centres here, I might go mad and buy one.

Sorry for derailing thread, back to the V-Strom.

By all tests V-Strom and Versys are head to head but Kawasaki has a large distribution network, spare parts are cheap and easily available, as are trained mechanics. Suzuki has nothing like that support network. Dealer support was one of the best things owning a Kawasaki. On top of that the Kawa is cheaper. Not even sure the V-Strom has ABS in Thailand.

Cars, no. Cars aren't that much fun unless you're spending 8M Thb+ so as fun factor is concerned bike is way more bang for the buck.

Wow that was quick Nick. I am sure your buddy is loving life a new motor & all. What is your next ride you are looking at? Congrads!

Wow that was quick Nick. I am sure your buddy is loving life a new motor & all. What is your next ride you are looking at? Congrads!

Buy a bike and forget the car, cars are boring bikes are not!

• 4 weeks later...

Im getting my V-strom next Friday.

I have added:

Top case kit 15,000 baht
Back rest 1,800 baht
Crash bar 4,900 baht
Engine cover 4,800 baht
For hand guard 1,200 baht
screen 4,200 baht

Skipping the side boxes as I will seldom use them and i have bought soft saddle bags (Givi 431.. something) as a reserve plan.

Will i regret this do you think? The Suzuki side boxes can not be bought separately......

2012-Suzuki-VStrom650ASE-ABS1.jpg

Archived