2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

Please keep us posted with some nice reviews after you put a few miles on the bike. What did you have before to compare it with?

Still struggling to convince my wife i deserve a bike....and when i showed her the V-Strom she wasn't at all excited about the looks (couldn't care less about the tech part of course). I love the comfort of the V-Strom, but not sure it will be 'exciting' enough to keep me happy for longer then a short while. I kind of want a toy....but it needs to be comfy too and sitting on a Hyperstrada just killed that option.

Im getting my V-strom next Friday.

I have added:

Top case kit 15,000 baht
Back rest 1,800 baht
Crash bar 4,900 baht
Engine cover 4,800 baht
For hand guard 1,200 baht
screen 4,200 baht

Skipping the side boxes as I will seldom use them and i have bought soft saddle bags (Givi 431.. something) as a reserve plan.

Will i regret this do you think? The Suzuki side boxes can not be bought separately......

2012-Suzuki-VStrom650ASE-ABS1.jpg

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in there last week finalising a few options prior to sending a deposit. Liked the look of the Gladius too with a red frame.

My only (personal) concern is it's a lot higher than any other bike that I've riden. I cannot put both feet flat on the ground when at a stop.

Any (sensible) comment to stop this worry ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was in there last week finalising a few options prior to sending a deposit. Liked the look of the Gladius too with a red frame.

My only (personal) concern is it's a lot higher than any other bike that I've riden. I cannot put both feet flat on the ground when at a stop.

the balls of your feet is enough to keep a bike nicely upright.

or one foot flat is also enough but be careful on where you are putting that one foot, no sand, no hole!

Please keep us posted with some nice reviews after you put a few miles on the bike. What did you have before to compare it with?

Still struggling to convince my wife i deserve a bike....and when i showed her the V-Strom she wasn't at all excited about the looks (couldn't care less about the tech part of course). I love the comfort of the V-Strom, but not sure it will be 'exciting' enough to keep me happy for longer then a short while. I kind of want a toy....but it needs to be comfy too and sitting on a Hyperstrada just killed that option.

Im getting my V-strom next Friday.

I have added:

Top case kit 15,000 baht

Back rest 1,800 baht

Crash bar 4,900 baht

Engine cover 4,800 baht

For hand guard 1,200 baht

screen 4,200 baht

Skipping the side boxes as I will seldom use them and i have bought soft saddle bags (Givi 431.. something) as a reserve plan.

Will i regret this do you think? The Suzuki side boxes can not be bought separately......

2012-Suzuki-VStrom650ASE-ABS1.jpg

Not much to compare with. This is be biggest bike i have own. Have had a few 500cc offraod 15-20 years ago and rented some 750cc sport touring for a few week now and then back home 10-15 years ago. In Thailand i have only had 125-250cc's for the last 10 years.

So where in the Kingdom can the big Suzuki's be serviced? I haven't seen any shops in Pattaya?

I am interested in the V-Strom as well, I rather pay more compared to the Versus, ONLY because of the V-Twin engine, really.

Suzy like Honda will be expanding their big bike network inThailand, I have been informed. Right now, there is only BKK.

I would or will (hopefully) be servicing my own Wee Strom. It's quite a "bulletproof" machine.

I read the following in a brochure about the V-Strom ABS (DL650AL2):

In addition, a low seat (20 mm lower than the standard seat) and a high seat (20 mm higher than the standard seat) with the same finish as the standard seat are available as options to accommodate a wide range of user preferences and body sizes.

So you may ask for such "low seat" to get rid of your worry?

EDIT:

Here the link to the brochure: http://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads.htm

Think carefully about buying a bike that is tall for you. Particularly so if you will be riding in Thai cities a fair bit. Thai roads like all tropical countries have a considerable camber and a drainage channel by most kerbs. That can put the point at which your wheels are touching the ground a good 2 inches above the point at which your foot would touch the ground. If the bike is tall for you, this requires constant pre-planning. Also if you will be walking the bike backwards on dusty ground, tippy toes doesn't really cut it.

So think carefully if this is the bike for you. It will not be a major bother, more like a nagging doubt in the back of your mind which can become a pain in the arse if you are doing a lot of stop - start or dirt road riding.

The Gladius perhaps has the lowest seat in the middleweight class. There is an option there for you.

Think carefully about buying a bike that is tall for you. Particularly so if you will be riding in Thai cities a fair bit. Thai roads like all tropical countries have a considerable camber and a drainage channel by most kerbs. That can put the point at which your wheels are touching the ground a good 2 inches above the point at which your foot would touch the ground. If the bike is tall for you, this requires constant pre-planning. Also if you will be walking the bike backwards on dusty ground, tippy toes doesn't really cut it.

So think carefully if this is the bike for you. It will not be a major bother, more like a nagging doubt in the back of your mind which can become a pain in the arse if you are doing a lot of stop - start or dirt road riding.

The Gladius perhaps has the lowest seat in the middleweight class. There is an option there for you.

I will probably still with the V Strom and order it with the inch lower seat. I think that should be OK.

I like the Gladioi but am getting this bike for just long distance touring and no city riding.

Thanks for the input Briggsy

Did you go for a V-strom 650?

Did you go for a V-strom 650?

I will be, when the $ is available in a few weeks. Will order a red one with Adventure pack plus a few other goodies. Have made some enquiries about seat height and there are a couple of other options (in addition to a lower seat) so that one concern has now diminished.

Anyone want a Kwacker ZR7 (inline 750/4) inc Green book ?????

^^^^ is it the one with the little fairing or naked?? Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It HAD the little fairing (ZR7s) but it's now naked with twin projector lights. All original parts go with bike sale. Met Blue/ new battery& chain and 100% legal.

^^^^ is it the one with the little fairing or naked?? Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It HAD the little fairing (ZR7s) but it's now naked with twin projector lights. All original parts go with bike sale. Met Blue/ new battery& chain and 100% legal.

post a photo of it man!

post a photo of it man!

post-156212-0-62351200-1390396671_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Pasting from an other thread as this is the "official" V-strom 650 thread.

180km on the bike yesterday and surprisingly a soaring behind. strange as the seat is wide and comfortable.

I bought the adventure vario screen but doesn't make the trick. The wind noise and buffeting is VERY annoying. Except for that the bike is a dream to ride. Swallows potholes quietly like my offroad and no tireing vibrations anywhere, and it has much less mechanical sounds and rattles than my friends Versus.

Very happy with it, but I have to do something about the wind noise and buffeting though..

----------------------------------------------------------

Im using really good watchable rubber earplugs but the buffeting is killing the joy of the ride. It seems like the screen is doing more harm then good as if i standing up on the bike the noise and buffeting lessens.

I'm very disappointed at Suzuki who makes you believe the "adventure screen" is a full-good a adventure option.... The "adventure screen" is as crappy as the original as i have read. So a total waste of money there... Thanks for trusting the brand Suzuki's know-how.... I could have used that money on a quality screen like a Givi AF3101 Airflow Windscreen instead which does works well according to many reviewers....

If someone else is considering to buy the bike with the original top-box with backrest (made by hard cheap foam) for 16,800 baht, Don't do... I did, and it is not better or more equipped than any other boxes, just overpriced at many times over. I would say that my old Shad box at 3500 baht is even better as it can be open and closed with only one hand...

Enough whining.... It is a great bike and with a new screen it will be even better. Have done 280Km so far....

460km on the clock and i love the bike more and more (except for the crapy screen)

The manual recommends a max 5000rpm for the first break-in period of 800km and then another 800km at max 7500rpm. Then free reving up to 10000rpm. Totaling a 1600km brake-in, a really long brake-in distance, right?

Today I got the Givi AF3101 Airflow Windscreen which i ordered from Ebay italy for €85 ($114) (half the US-price btw) plus €50 for shipping and 1200 baht in customs fee. Seems like everything get stuck in customs now days.

I will have a long ride tomorrow with the new screen and hopefully it will make the bike even more enjoyable..

695 km on the clock today. Only 100km left for raise the rev limit from 5000 to 7500rpm. 200km with the new Givi AF3101 Airflow Windscreen. It works well and I LOVE IT... But it looks little goofy though. But if goofy would be a problem i wouldn't have bought the V-strom to begin with. Can drive at 115km (5000rpm) with open helmet without getting any dust or wind in the face. No turbulence around the helmet. Little turbulence from the side mirrors sometimes though. I can hear the engine now :-) SHAME at Suzuki who couldn't design a better windscreen.

Archived