BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SumetCycle

2014 Suzuki V-Strom

After like an hour we think we found it, or at least Avenue Ratchayothin.

Keep us posted about your findings/thoughts on the bike, as I am considering getting one too!

Any idea how much the extra panniers/top box is

Does this have ABS?

Performance wise I remember reading lots of reviews when the Versys came out - Versys and V-Strom were always pretty close. Versys maybe a bit more street oriented.

Good price for a made in Japan bike, that's for sure. Especially if it comes with ABS which should be a 20-30k value.

Does this have ABS?

Performance wise I remember reading lots of reviews when the Versys came out - Versys and V-Strom were always pretty close. Versys maybe a bit more street oriented.

Good price for a made in Japan bike, that's for sure. Especially if it comes with ABS which should be a 20-30k value.

Yes it does

Spent 5 hours in Bangkoks rush hours trying to find the place where i could see one. I have no clue why the sales person first directed us to there office at Suzuki Aveny as there were no V-strom to see there. It took us 2.5 hours to find it. No the V-stom is to see at Promenade Mall i was told. Another 2 hours was spent before we found that place.

Here are some pictures. It looks much bigger/longer than Versys

13709437.jpg

13709445.jpg

13709446.jpg

13709447.jpg

I'm sure Kawasaki & Suzuki have a running battle as to who can produce the ugliest bikes.

I'm sure Kawasaki & Suzuki have a running battle as to who can produce the ugliest bikes.

Function over form. The Versys is "pretty" ugly. The V-strom is just plain ugly. Both great bikes though.

Over-rated waste of money.

The next day, Sean and I were feeling restless, so took the V-Strom and CB500X up Angeles Crest Highway to grab lunch at Newcomb’s Ranch. I rode the CB500X on the way up there, he rode it back. It was just a jeans-and-jackets casual ride, but on the way up the mountain I did my usual thing, passing supposedly larger, faster bikes — this time an R1200GS and a guy in a really unfortunate leather onesie on KTM 990 Super Duke. The little Honda proved a willing companion for fast riding, its height and upright riding position affording a great view around corners and cars and its Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires delivering plenty of confidence even over the melted tar snakes on this very hot day. A lot like the other 500s, just with better forks and vision.

Then, on the way down, I hopped on the V-Strom and followed Sean. That mid-capacity Suzuki is one of our favorite all-round bikes. It’s light and manageable in the city, all-day comfortable on the highway and, most surprisingly, a blast on twisty roads like this one. But man, after that Honda, it felt positively portly. It felt heavy to push around, slow to steer and its more powerful engine was less willing to rev match downshifts and just wasn’t as able to play along with spirited riding than the smaller Honda. Wow.

For the first time ever, I actually had a hard time keeping up with our very own Captain Slow, as he just merrily scooted down the mountain, with no idea that I was trying hard, but still falling back.

Back in town, things got even worse. A bike that we’d previously considered a good companion for splitting heavy traffic suddenly felt large and cumbersome trying to keep up with the dinky Honda. The CB500X would just scoot through gaps that were simply too small for the V-Strom to fit through at all.

Don’t get us wrong, the larger Suzuki is going to be the more capable tourer, but in town or on a mountain road, the little Honda is the much more capable machine.

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-honda-cb500x/

The exhaust pipe is massive for a 650! Must be 20 kilos!

Good bike, V twin alwayyys better than parallel. Rememebr the SV650, quite modded. was/is the standard "little league" race bike in the us, still popolar at track schools, etc.

However moons ago I was riding with a friend that had one, I had the '00 Ninja 6R. At the red light he asked me to "start quick" as he was curious to "see the difference". Well, there was much, much difference.

Personally, saving to buy new in that price range, Iwould shell out the 25K bath more and get the Z800.

Over-rated waste of money.

The next day, Sean and I were feeling restless, so took the V-Strom and CB500X up Angeles Crest Highway to grab lunch at Newcomb’s Ranch. I rode the CB500X on the way up there, he rode it back. It was just a jeans-and-jackets casual ride, but on the way up the mountain I did my usual thing, passing supposedly larger, faster bikes — this time an R1200GS and a guy in a really unfortunate leather onesie on KTM 990 Super Duke. The little Honda proved a willing companion for fast riding, its height and upright riding position affording a great view around corners and cars and its Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires delivering plenty of confidence even over the melted tar snakes on this very hot day. A lot like the other 500s, just with better forks and vision.

Then, on the way down, I hopped on the V-Strom and followed Sean. That mid-capacity Suzuki is one of our favorite all-round bikes. It’s light and manageable in the city, all-day comfortable on the highway and, most surprisingly, a blast on twisty roads like this one. But man, after that Honda, it felt positively portly. It felt heavy to push around, slow to steer and its more powerful engine was less willing to rev match downshifts and just wasn’t as able to play along with spirited riding than the smaller Honda. Wow.

For the first time ever, I actually had a hard time keeping up with our very own Captain Slow, as he just merrily scooted down the mountain, with no idea that I was trying hard, but still falling back.

Back in town, things got even worse. A bike that we’d previously considered a good companion for splitting heavy traffic suddenly felt large and cumbersome trying to keep up with the dinky Honda. The CB500X would just scoot through gaps that were simply too small for the V-Strom to fit through at all.

Don’t get us wrong, the larger Suzuki is going to be the more capable tourer, but in town or on a mountain road, the little Honda is the much more capable machine.

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-honda-cb500x/

Depending on which magazine or review you're 'riding', so's the Honda (in the 'R' configuration) in comparison to the Ninja 300:

If we don’t sound over the moon about the CBR500R, it’s mostly because of our expectations. We assumed it would be a step between the willing CBR250R and a true supersport like the CBR600RR. It’s not. Instead, it’s something entirely different, a sensible small motorcycle with good build quality, solid performance, and commendable efficiency. It’s the bike you’d recommend to a new rider, an acquaintance. But for your friends with true sporting intentions and a thirst for authentic mechanical presence—point them at a Ninja 300. Save a couple of bucks and forgo the ABS. The littlest Ninja looks great in Pearl White.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1307_honda_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/viewall.html#ixzz2ffo65seh

The fact is that a single review (that I've seen posted several times- yes, Wes Stiler likes the new Honda) isn't the end-all-be-all for any motorcycle- there are other valid opinions, and calling the V-Strom an 'over-rated waste of money' based on what one reviewer has said is a bit over-the-top..

I think the "Made in Japan" moniker is worth a few $ more, but I couldn't bring myself to pay 350k for the Suzuki (or 310k for the Versys) when a Honda CB500X is 215k.

Good bike, V twin alwayyys better than parallel. Rememebr the SV650, quite modded. was/is the standard "little league" race bike in the us, still popolar at track schools, etc.

However moons ago I was riding with a friend that had one, I had the '00 Ninja 6R. At the red light he asked me to "start quick" as he was curious to "see the difference". Well, there was much, much difference.

Personally, saving to buy new in that price range, Iwould shell out the 25K bath more and get the Z800.

Z800 is tempting but I think its too heavy for non motorway riding and it certainly isn't a touring bike. Sure it is a very beautiful aggressive looking steed but I am not convinced that it will sell well here in LOS(I hope I'm proved wrong).

Wee Strom is on my list of possibles as a newt bike and I'd like to hear from any owners here with a review.

Was at promonade last saturday to check the bikes.

I checked v strom and it is huge. A nuce comfy ass hauler it looks like. Very comfy seat too.

The manager lady said, suzuki have plabs to produce big bikes next year in thailand. Hope it will happen!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13799102319179_thumb.jpg

post-184955-1379910244533_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13799102664337_thumb.jpg

It's horses for courses. IMHO the V-Strom will make a more accomplished go most places tourer than the CB500X. It costs a fair bit more than the Honda but I think you're getting a lot more bike for your money. That's not to say that the Honda isn't a decent little bike in it's own right.