2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and getting aprilla mirrors made the world of difference to wind noise/buffeting. Tried the givi airflow but didn't help me, so stuck with the mra x-creen. I had the taller seat (I'm 6'2") and if I was buying again I'd lower the pegs and keep the stock seat (so less wind noise/buffering)

• 1 month later...

Hi any more updates on how members are getting on with their V-Strom"s. I am in the process of buying a bike and my heart tells me the Hyperstrada but my pocket and my brain says the V-Strom. I don't have much big riding experience and also will be living down south in Chumphon so maybe service issues. Thanks for all the info to date .

Hi any more updates on how members are getting on with their V-Strom"s. I am in the process of buying a bike and my heart tells me the Hyperstrada but my pocket and my brain says the V-Strom. I don't have much big riding experience and also will be living down south in Chumphon so maybe service issues. Thanks for all the info to date .

Hi, im still very happy with mine. I have now passed the first 5000rpm brake-in step at 800km and now allow to rev it to 7500rpm now. The more revs the more i like the bike clap2.gif The only issue i had was the lousy windscreen but that was easily solved with a new one. Thinking about to make it little louder as it is little too quiet.

Am i the only one here who actually bought the V-strom? Wonder how many they have sold till now in Thailand.

I think it is too tall for most Thais. Im 1.83 with 34' jeans inseam and I both of my heals reaches the ground, barely, but i can't but any weight on them.

Am i the only one here who actually bought the V-strom? Wonder how many they have sold till now in Thailand.

I think it is too tall for most Thais. Im 1.83 with 34' jeans inseam and I both of my heals reaches the ground, barely, but i can't but any weight on them.

i see some on Bangkok roads but never seen a farang on one.

There is a farang in Buriram who has just bought one. As I am also waiting to purchase one, I have asked for feed-back from him, but no reply!

Thats why I posed the question as I am torn between buying the Ducati Strada or the V-strom. For such a good bike and lots of good reviews on

the net not too many on the road in Thailand. They also doing a deal at the moment with free insurance registration plates etc. and priced at 350k

and another 49k you can get it dressed in adventure kit. For 400k you are getting a lot of bike that has been manufactured in Japan. Thanks for the

info TramsPepus thats interesting about the size that explains a lot why not many Thais buying this model. I still love the Strada but I am about to

put a deposit on the V-Strom. smile.png

Like you, I intended getting the full Kit but after reading numerous reviews on sites, I will probably get Givi airflow screen and luggage as they seem better than Suzi items.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I heard that they will or have started the production of the 2015 model of 650 V-strom in Thailand now. I have also heard that Suzuki loses approx 200K on each Japanese made V-strom sold in Thailand. The one of the sources is a CEO of a customer of mine in the motor industry.

I heard that they will or have started the production of the 2015 model of 650 V-strom in Thailand now. I have also heard that Suzuki loses approx 200K on each Japanese made V-strom sold in Thailand. The one of the sources is a CEO of a customer of mine in the motor industry.

that doesnt make a lot of sense ,a 200k loss would mean it costs them 549k to build it and get it to bangkok and then sell it for 349k ??

sounds pretty weird .......blink.png

that doesnt make a lot of sense ,a 200k loss would mean it costs them 549k to build it and get it to bangkok and then sell it for 349k ??

They are testing the market, It is a calculated loss as what i was told....

Strange way to test the market without any dealer back-up support. Seems a bit "cart before the horse" to me!

If you want to know what Japanese bikes cost to build and ship, look at US retail prices, and bear in mind the US dealers are still making a profit. Then look at Thai prices for the same imports, and how close Thailand is to Japan compared to the US in terms of logistics. I very much doubt that Suzuki are losing 200k per bike on the VStrom.

The difference in pricing between the US and Thailand is due to BS taxes and BS dealers. The ASEAN agreements should remove a lot of the tax going forward, and the locally made bikes like the Z800 (375,000) should put pressure on the dealers selling 'fake' imports like the Street Triple at crazy prices (750,000).

Huge credit to Kawasaki for opening up the big bike market in Thailand. They really started all this and pressured the others into action. They just need to keep on top of the dealerships now because I've seen quite a decline in their service levels since 2008 while Honda seem to be improving their big bike service with the new Big Wing centres.

If you want to know what Japanese bikes cost to build and ship, look at US retail prices, and bear in mind the US dealers are still making a profit. Then look at Thai prices for the same imports, and how close Thailand is to Japan compared to the US in terms of logistics. I very much doubt that Suzuki are losing 200k per bike on the VStrom.

The difference in pricing between the US and Thailand is due to BS taxes and BS dealers. The ASEAN agreements should remove a lot of the tax going forward, and the locally made bikes like the Z800 (375,000) should put pressure on the dealers selling 'fake' imports like the Street Triple at crazy prices (750,000).

Huge credit to Kawasaki for opening up the big bike market in Thailand. They really started all this and pressured the others into action. They just need to keep on top of the dealerships now because I've seen quite a decline in their service levels since 2008 while Honda seem to be improving their big bike service with the new Big Wing centres.

all we need now is this 125% tax to be abolished :)

its crazy that you can buy a new pickup for the price of mid sized bike and after a year they give you back 100k

as if everyone in bkk needs to be driving a pickup to work instead of a bike so just make the bikers pay double to subsidise the car drivers

thai logic at its finest blink.png

Thanks for the heads up on the Givi gear DILLIGAD. Is there a Thai on line site ?

TramsRepus when will the 2015 model be released ? Would hate to buy mine in Aug. and a new model released the following month.

Thanks for the great information again guys.

all we need now is this 125% tax to be abolished smile.png

its crazy that you can buy a new pickup for the price of mid sized bike and after a year they give you back 100k

as if everyone in bkk needs to be driving a pickup to work instead of a bike so just make the bikers pay double to subsidise the car drivers

There is nothing wrong on that logic and it is mostly same even in our countries to protect the domestic market and to get more investment/employment by forcing producers to invest for domestic production.

also, you can always buy a local made honda wave for cheap and go work with that, of course they are not expecting you to go work with a cbr1000rr naturally!

Thanks for the heads up on the Givi gear DILLIGAD. Is there a Thai on line site ?

TramsRepus when will the 2015 model be released ? Would hate to buy mine in Aug. and a new model released the following month.

Thanks for the great information again guys.

Sorry, I don't have a link but do know there are suppliers in BKK (Dr BigBike/Pandariders????)

I got the info from this comment on a local forum

Looked at the Suzuki luggage and although it looks a good deal I decided on Givi Treker Outback. Luggage is always difficult here as it is so expensive but Givi have a promotion on at the moment so I took advantage of it. 39,000 for silver and 40,000 for black alloy panniers. Should be here in a week or so.

There is nothing wrong on that logic and it is mostly same even in our countries to protect the domestic market and to get more investment/employment by forcing producers to invest for domestic production.

also, you can always buy a local made honda wave for cheap and go work with that, of course they are not expecting you to go work with a cbr1000rr naturally!

Most other countries don't do that, if Europe did the same thing to Thai made cars that Thailand does to European made cars (for example) then Thailand's vehicle export market would suffer badly.

It's even worse with the fake imports, a Thai built Street Triple is about 400,000 baht in the UK, and the same bike from the same factory is 750,000 baht in Thailand. Can't really justify that...

There is a farang in Buriram who has just bought one. As I am also waiting to purchase one, I have asked for feed-back from him, but no reply!

Yes I bought one and I am well chuffed. I have owned several Versys and a er6n in the past couple of years and I feel the V-Strom is a whole lot better all round. I have owned a DL1000 before so I new what I was getting but If you want reviews there are plenty out their already and they are all good and they ain't wrong.... Regarding the seat height it is 20mm lower than the Versys and it does have a lower or higher seat option + or - 20mm. Plenty of Thai's riding the Versys so the seat height is not a worry for them and it looks as though plenty are ordering V-Strom's.

Waiting time is not long and several of ordered bikes on offer if you search the interweb, so no reason to wait DILLIGAD. v-stromclubthailand.com is worth a look.

I believe the 2015 model is the same as current model but made in Thailand not Japan. Quality is top shelf on the Japan model and yes Suzuki are loosing a packet on these at the moment. My two mates riding Thai built Multisradas are having some quality issues. Something to bare in mind.

Regarding Givi accessories try Jacketboy.com on fb. Guys name is Krasian and he provides an excellent service and speaks good English.

Service providers will be done through existing Suzuki dealerships but progress is slow. I just had to travel from Buriram to Bangkok for the first service which is not ideal especially when it turns out the Bangkok mechanic is from Satuk in Buriram!!!!! This can only improve and using existing dealers should be a better way to go than using stand alone big bike dealers spread thinly across Thailand. Time will tell!

I am in the process of fabricating an aluminium skid plate as the oil filter is a little exposed and the bike looks odd without a belly pan of some sort. I don't like the Givi one as it connects to the engine instead of the frame and it looks a little flimsy to me. The Suzuki plastic fairing/belly pan is about 5000 baht and is cosmetic only. It will take me a few weeks to get it completed and I intend on making some for sale. They should come in around the 5000 baht mark and I will post pictures and full details when its available.

Alan

post-82017-0-27506300-1395991302_thumb.j

If you want to know what Japanese bikes cost to build and ship, look at US retail prices, and bear in mind the US dealers are still making a profit.

Shipping cost the manufacturers next to nothing I would hazard a guess.

Shipped my HD from Vancouver to Australia, as part of a C-can shipment, and it was only 500 bucks.

You can get a lot of bikes in a 40 foot C-can so the cost per bike would be a lot less.

If you want to know what Japanese bikes cost to build and ship, look at US retail prices, and bear in mind the US dealers are still making a profit.

Shipping cost the manufacturers next to nothing I would hazard a guess.

Shipped my HD from Vancouver to Australia, as part of a C-can shipment, and it was only 500 bucks.

You can get a lot of bikes in a 40 foot C-can so the cost per bike would be a lot less.

Yep that was my point, these bikes would be very affordable if the tax ever comes off them. Even cheaper to ship a Street Triple from Rayong to RCA in Bangkok.

Most other countries don't do that, if Europe did the same thing to Thai made cars that Thailand does to European made cars (for example) then Thailand's vehicle export market would suffer badly.

It's even worse with the fake imports, a Thai built Street Triple is about 400,000 baht in the UK, and the same bike from the same factory is 750,000 baht in Thailand. Can't really justify that...

jonny, most developing/emerging countries do that.

you cannot expect these kind of policies from developed countries.

Price story of Triumph is sad of course but i believe most of that add up is dealer profit.

Ubon have a white one on display now so I will try to find out if servicing is available there. Thanks for the info, Alan it's appreciated!

Have you ordered one yet DILLIGAD???? You may find the white one in Ubon is on its way to Buriram. Servicing in Surin will be well in place by the time you need it DTD!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Thanks again guys great information and help. Thanks especially alanr1610 you have single handed made me decide this is the bike I

will buy and even the color I will pick. I have a contact name that specks and writes English so I will organize deposit from this end. She

told me if ordered now it will be available by the end of May. But alas I am going to be in Thailand for April and half of May but I will be

back in August so I will collect than. I will be in Chumphon so prob. service problems there too. Keep us posted Alan about the skid plate

I might take you up on that offer.biggrin.png

Ubon have a white one on display now so I will try to find out if servicing is available there. Thanks for the info, Alan it's appreciated!

Have you ordered one yet DILLIGAD???? You may find the white one in Ubon is on its way to Buriram. Servicing in Surin will be well in place by the time you need it DTD!!!!! thumbsup.gif
Not yet as got more important things to do. I live nearer to Ubon than Surin hence the previous comment about servicing there.

I also want to see

, then "cross off" a CB650F inline 4 as a possible next bike and if that doesn't suit , a V Strom will be ordered from Ubon when the time is right.

Ride Safe!!!

Thanks again guys great information and help. Thanks especially alanr1610 you have single handed made me decide this is the bike I

will buy and even the color I will pick. I have a contact name that specks and writes English so I will organize deposit from this end. She

told me if ordered now it will be available by the end of May. But alas I am going to be in Thailand for April and half of May but I will be

back in August so I will collect than. I will be in Chumphon so prob. service problems there too. Keep us posted Alan about the skid plate

The salesman in Suzuki Avenue Bangkok is khun Bong and he speaks pretty good English.

The salesman in Suzuki Avenue Bangkok is khun Bong and he speaks pretty good English.

I bought mine from Avenue from a Khun. Pong with a "P" thumbsup.gif .. And yes he speaks and writes pretty good English.

Edit: Here is his email address: Teerakit Aroonsakul <[email protected]>

is the lady i have been in contact with. I am planning my early retirement to Thailand later in the year hence the new bike. We have a farm down south and I plan to do some touring and generally have fun. But I have to admit a certain bit of interpretation driving in Thailand as I drive a pickup and

a small bike when over. But I suppose thats part of the adventure and trill.

Archived