2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

The difference in pricing between the US and Thailand is due to BS taxes and BS dealers. The ASEAN agreements should remove a lot of the tax going forward, and the locally made bikes like the Z800 (375,000) should put pressure on the dealers selling 'fake' imports like the Street Triple at crazy prices (750,000).

Just to be fair, who makes the huge profit on higly priced locally produced bikes is mainly the manufacturer. For them is a double heaven, because they keep production and costs small while profit are high. The dealer can make marginally more but not much. If the manuf. wanted differently, they would set the price lower and dealer can adapt or lose the status.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no direct information but for a large company to let one single dealer to get away with the profit they cold make instead, seems stupid and unlikely.

Can be collusion, the other explaination is that the dealer is a large shareholder in the Thai factory.

I have no direct information but for a large company to let one single dealer to get away with the profit they cold make instead, seems stupid and unlikely.

Can be collusion, the other explaination is that the dealer is a large shareholder in the Thai factory.

The Triumph company in Thailand is 100% owned by Triumph UK. Triumph in the past hasn't been even slightly interested in the low volume Thai market. They set up the factory here to take advantage of cheap labour costs alone and weren't interested in a deal with the BOI regarding their manufacturing status. They see the Indian and Chinese markets as where the money is going to be for them, hence the construction of the Indian super factory and new models being designed for their Asian core markets. A while back Triumph ceased production of complete bikes in Thailand and concentrated on manufacturing parts alone. Whether they have begun producing complete bikes again I don't know. To sell bikes here cheaply they need to renegotiate their status here and give BritBike it's marching orders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's coming but all the reviews I've read the Versys and Suzuki are very close in terms of performance. The 2013 V Strom doesn't even have USD forks (Versys does), maybe the 2014 does? Plus it's 40k more expensive than the Versys, which is a lot of mods or a few fun tours up north. We already have the CB500X and the Versys.

I just wished they'd brought something a bit different rather than more of the same (even if it is 10% better that what's already here, which is debatable). I also question the dealer support for a new model, I haven't seen too many Suzuki dealerships springing up all over the place but hopefully that will follow.

So IMO the 2 line up like this...

Versys 40k cheaper

Versys loads of dealer support and cheap spares

Versys tons of aftermarket parts

V Strom "maybe" 10% better if you ride more fire trails than roads.

My main hope is that the Japs will do the same thing with some other, more exciting models, maybe they're realizing that Thai consumers are fed up with ripoff prices and it's better to sell a load of bikes at small margins than one or two bikes at massive margins.

Fair play to Suzuki for doing this, I commend them - I just wish they'd chosen something a bit more exciting. What's next, the mighty Gladius to compete with the er6n and CB500F? I'd rather see a 2014 GSXR750 at 400-450k to blow the competition out of the water...

Just to share, I spent many days riding a Versys in Thailand, and on a recent business trip to Vancouver test rode a 2013 V Strom for almost an hour.

The V Strom may not even be 10% better of a motorcycle than a Versys, a Versys performs great, but the Strom has 50% more character than a Versys. Engine feel, vibes and torque, through the throttle, bars, and pegs is way more enjoyable. A Versys was one of 3 bikes at the top of my buying list this year, but now it's a Strom for sure - would have bought the one I test rode that day if northern Canadian roads were warmer

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's coming but all the reviews I've read the Versys and Suzuki are very close in terms of performance. The 2013 V Strom doesn't even have USD forks (Versys does), maybe the 2014 does? Plus it's 40k more expensive than the Versys, which is a lot of mods or a few fun tours up north. We already have the CB500X and the Versys.

I just wished they'd brought something a bit different rather than more of the same (even if it is 10% better that what's already here, which is debatable). I also question the dealer support for a new model, I haven't seen too many Suzuki dealerships springing up all over the place but hopefully that will follow.

So IMO the 2 line up like this...

Versys 40k cheaper

Versys loads of dealer support and cheap spares

Versys tons of aftermarket parts

V Strom "maybe" 10% better if you ride more fire trails than roads.

My main hope is that the Japs will do the same thing with some other, more exciting models, maybe they're realizing that Thai consumers are fed up with ripoff prices and it's better to sell a load of bikes at small margins than one or two bikes at massive margins.

Fair play to Suzuki for doing this, I commend them - I just wish they'd chosen something a bit more exciting. What's next, the mighty Gladius to compete with the er6n and CB500F? I'd rather see a 2014 GSXR750 at 400-450k to blow the competition out of the water...

Just to share, I spent many days riding a Versys in Thailand, and on a recent business trip to Vancouver test rode a 2013 V Strom for almost an hour.

The V Strom may not even be 10% better of a motorcycle than a Versys, a Versys performs great, but the Strom has 50% more character than a Versys. Engine feel, vibes and torque, through the throttle, bars, and pegs is way more enjoyable. A Versys was one of 3 bikes at the top of my buying list this year, but now it's a Strom for sure - would have bought the one I test rode that day if northern Canadian roads were warmer

I am with you on this Fishenough. I travelled extensively on my Versys's and had a great time but the V-Strom is just so much more.

Regarding the forks JonnyF. USD forks are great if they are a quality item and the Versys are budget. Forks on the V-Strom work well and overall the V-Strom has more adjustment. At the end of the day not many of us riders will push a bike so hard we would really feel the difference between USD to Regular forks. Other advantage of regular forks is they are not as vulnerable to pitting of the tubes. You could apply the same method to the front brakes, wavy disc over regular. I always thought my two Versys and er6 brakes wer pretty average but I can assure you the V-Strom brakes fantastic.

35k baht difference is nothing when you compare the quality at close quarters and for me its money well spent.

Regarding availability of aftermarket parts there are plenty and more coming.

Plenty more Suzuki dealerships around Thaialnd than Kawasaki.... Does not take much to train up existing Suzuki mechanic's.

Gladius is here also to compete with the er6n as is the GSXR 750 and 1000.

I might be a bit biased towards Suzuki as I have owned plenty of Jap bikes along with Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki. Has to be said all were good but for me the Kawasaki' did not have the same finish as the others and the Suzuki was always well put together and great value for money. At the end of the day its great that we are now getting more choice in Thailand at real world prices and competition is always good a good thing.

jonny, most developing/emerging countries do that.

you cannot expect these kind of policies from developed countries.

Price story of Triumph is sad of course but i believe most of that add up is dealer profit.

I presume you're saying that the US isn't developed?

So many things that are developed for the track make their way onto the street.

Good example is USD forks. No reason to be on a street bike for any practical reason. Just saying in effect 'Look at me, I am on a race bike'. They were developed to remove unsprung weight - for street riding not noticeable.

Same with wavy brake rotors.

Fashion not function first - 'cause that is what the public wants. And will pay for.

So where can I find the nearest dealer from Pattaya?

I really like what you guys says about the 650's engine character.

Not sure Suzuki sell big bikes in Pattaya. But yes in Bangkok in the following.

THAI SUZUKI MOTOR CO., LTD.
31/1 RANGSIT-ONGKHARAK ROAD, BUNGYEETHO
THANYABURI, PATHUMTHANI 12130, THAILAND.

Thanks, but I don't want to go to Bangkok each time it needs service, that is the main problem I got with the Suzuki's right now.

I think we got a Suzuki car dealer here, I might check them out.

It's odd that they don't have a dealer here in Pattaya, it could sell bike like hot cakes here.

Some here says Suzuki will manufacture big bikes here from next year, is that 100% confirmed? If yes, they might get slightly cheaper then?

I am interested in the Gladios, I think the blue color is very cool.

Thanks, but I don't want to go to Bangkok each time it needs service, that is the main problem I got with the Suzuki's right now.

I think we got a Suzuki car dealer here, I might check them out.

It's odd that they don't have a dealer here in Pattaya, it could sell bike like hot cakes here.

Some here says Suzuki will manufacture big bikes here from next year, is that 100% confirmed? If yes, they might get slightly cheaper then?

I am interested in the Gladios, I think the blue color is very cool.

I'd enquirer in the biggest existing small bike dealers selling Suzy"s because they will more than likely be selling the bigger bikes too. That's the situation here in Ubon.

Agree with u about blue Gladius BTW and the one with red frame looks good too in the flesh (in BKK)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good example is USD forks. No reason to be on a street bike for any practical reason. Just saying in effect 'Look at me, I am on a race bike'. They were developed to remove unsprung weight - for street riding not noticeable.

Fashion not function first - 'cause that is what the public wants. And will pay for.

Not sure I'd agree with that, higher spec is higher spec. Whether a bike gets ridden to those limits depends on the rider. Not sure how putting higher spec forks on a 650 is fashion over function?

What I would agree with is that Japanese built bikes are worth paying extra for. That comes from personal experience owning Jap made bikes and Thai made (Jap) bikes. Plus, all the reviews I've read say that Suzuki engine is a peach.

Still be a bit concerned about the service levels though. I'm sure it's ok for standard oil changes etc. but I wouldn't expect it back too quick in the event of anything serious or difficult to diagnose. Spare parts might be an issue.

I am just about to pull the trigger on buying the 650 with the BKK show offer of free insurance registration .I have requested information about aftersales service as the bike will be in Chumphon. The nice lady said she would have to get back to me on that. In saying that a trip to the big Mango on my own once in a while appeals biggrin.png .

I got directed by K.Pong at Suzuki BKK, to Mityion Kawasaki in Pattaya for my first 1000km service..... Mityion are going to open a Suzuki big bike shop in Pattaya in around June

Excellent news, many thanks for that, do you know the location? Honda big wing and Kawasaki (big bike?) are located direct opposite each other (same family owners) on Sukhumvit so it should be near there I would think? Don't understand why they just don't have one big shop with all the brands under same roof? Well maybe a bad idea, somebody fired bullets at the Honda big wing shop a while ago, he-he.

I got directed by K.Pong at Suzuki BKK, to Mityion Kawasaki in Pattaya for my first 1000km service..... Mityion are going to open a Suzuki big bike shop in Pattaya in around June

Excellent news, many thanks for that, do you know the location? Honda big wing and Kawasaki (big bike?) are located direct opposite each other (same family owners) on Sukhumvit so it should be near there I would think? Don't understand why they just don't have one big shop with all the brands under same roof? Well maybe a bad idea, somebody fired bullets at the Honda big wing shop a while ago, he-he.

I have no idea where. But one of the Kawa technicians pointed south when he talked about it. I never asked exactly where.

I am just about to pull the trigger on buying the 650 with the BKK show offer of free insurance registration .I have requested information about aftersales service as the bike will be in Chumphon. The nice lady said she would have to get back to me on that. In saying that a trip to the big Mango on my own once in a while appeals biggrin.png .

Still awaiting a reply from the nice lady. But than things move slow in Thailand had similar problems trying to buy a pick up just take a chill pill lol.

I finally got the call need deposit now as offer on insurance finishes today. I had to explain that the banks over here are closed on Sunday. He said down South only HuaHin or Phuket service big bikes. The main thing I am happy that the decision is made but the wife does not like the idea smile.png .

I finally got the call need deposit now as offer on insurance finishes today. I had to explain that the banks over here are closed on Sunday. He said down South only HuaHin or Phuket service big bikes. The main thing I am happy that the decision is made but the wife does not like the idea smile.png .

They said the same when i ordered mine. The promotion expired 25th of September. Same, same promotion as now.

Lol he said(Offer) I will have to ok this with my manager. But coming from a sales myself I understand a sale not a sale till its paid for so I suppose

15k is a decent enough deposit to guarantee a sale. He told me the bike would be ready on Friday if I wanted it. But only traveling from Europe on

Thursday and with Songkran and a promise to drive from Chumphon to Udon to visit family after Songkran I declined his offer. But will collect when

we get back from Udon early May.

Is there much interest in the V-Strom?

The reason I ask is the we have been asked to review and test ride it instead of the Gladius which was due next week. Having just finished the Versys which has been tested left, right and center it seems Suzuki along with other manufacturers such as Ducati feel the adventure, dual sport is the area to promotein Thailand and I agree. The Mutlistrada is something on the list as well.

Our concern is the aftersales issue which is something we will bring up with Suzuki if this goes ahead.

Just curious to know peoples opinions on the bike. Obviously there are plenty of reviews of this bike elsewhere.

Cheers

The reason I ask is the we have been asked to review and test ride it instead of the Gladius which was due next week. Having just finished the Versys which has been tested left, right and center it seems Suzuki along with other manufacturers such as Ducati feel the adventure, dual sport is the area to promotein Thailand and I agree. The Mutlistrada is something on the list as well.

Our concern is the aftersales issue which is something we will bring up with Suzuki if this goes ahead.

Just curious to know peoples opinions on the bike. Obviously there are plenty of reviews of this bike elsewhere.

Cheers

Might be worth asking these guys???

https://www.facebook.com/pages/jacketboycom/200974706716602

Cheers

Might be worth asking these guys???

A colleague recently bought the V-Strom and while not mechanical, he's being fobbed off about his registration which has gone from 1 month to 4.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/jacketboycom/200974706716602

Expat based. Are these mod shops enough to convince people to trust possible back up issues?

Cheers

Who are you guys? Any on-line site we can check out?

Only on some things, yes, but doesn't everyone want a cool looking bike? Some take it to extremes though.

Improved electronics and displays, engine performance, traction control, ride by wire, ABS, adjustable suspension etc don't have much to do with fashion and are all about function. When you think about it, only a tiny amount is about fashion.

For those serious riders and track hounds not on a budget, Ohlins suspension, Brembo monoblocks carbon bodywork etc. do have a function. And admittedly also look cool as well.

Simply generalizing and dismissing something as only fashion without taking into account the background of the rider utilizing such items does them a disservice IMO.

Riders installing top of the range accessories and just riding to Starbucks and never hitting the curves or twisties is an area I would agree with you on re. fashion accessories.

Take the Ducati Panigale as an example of race-derived functional technology benefitting street bikes. I still find it amazing how Ducati can wring nearly 200hp out of a twin-cylinder machine.

Just my 2 cents.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Cheers

You been asked to review the bike? Why's that? You run a bike website or magazine?

With regards to Suzuki's 'aftersales issue', I have a GSXR not a V-Strom from Suzuki Avenue Pahonyothin. The service has been pretty good but typically Thai in some aspects, friendly but no sense of urgency. Mechanics seem to be on-call. Meaning their only there when work needs to be done so advanced notice or a bit of a wait is required.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

∆ I agree. Much race inspired parts do a great job on the street.

But fitting USD forks that are not adjustable ? Ohlins are top drawer, and usable on a street bike. Anything that improves vehicle performance I am for.

ABS - yes 100% more safe, along with traction control.

My comments were more of a general nature, not dissing anything, except the 'All show and no Go' items.

Archived