2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

But fitting USD forks that are not adjustable ?

Well fitting them as an aftermarket part is obviously just for looks but most come as stock and on higher-end machines are fully-adjustable.

post-181811-13973653433786_thumb.jpg

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest updates on my V-Strom. I purchased the standard set up of Givi Treker Outback panniers and due to the exhaust off set the boxes come as an odd pair as do the Suzuki boxes, 1x37ltr for the exhaust side and 1x48ltr for the left side. The exhaust side frame is spaced out to clear the hideously large Suzuki can and the whole set up may well be first class quality but so wide that I was worried about filtering and it look ridiculous IMO. To rectify this I modified the exhaust system and exchanged the left side 48ltr box for a 37ltr with Jacketboy.com. I then set about cutting welding the right side frame to match the left side.

Whilst waiting for the new box to arrive I made my own skid plate and got this and the modified frame powder coated and fitted. The new box set up looks much better and is just slightly wider than the bars at present but with hand guards fitted I think it will be around the same width. Skid plate finishes off the lower engine whilst also adding protection to the engine and oil filter. For those interested the skid plate is fixed to the crash bar and bike frame and not the "engine" like Givi and some others do. Skid plates on bikes of this size and weight will suffer damage if bottomed onto rocks etc on a regular basis and are more to provide protection agaist flying debris. Saying that if you do impact on a skid plate mounted directly to the engine it can crack engine casings causing massive and expensive problems. I intend making more of these units as soon as I get time and they will fit Givi or Suzuki type engine bars. I am aiming to price reasonably around 5000 baht.

Hand guards are on the way and I have also fitted two 12v sockets to the dash for the GPS bracket I have yet to make.

Centre stand from Jacketboy.com 2900 baht. Had to be modified this slightly as the main spring would not stay on the pins as the heads were to small. The stand did not fall as it was caught by the secondary spring "but" not good and required attention before using again. This involved drilling out the existing pins and fitting new pins with larger heads and welding into place. I have informed Jacketboy.com. Other than that the stand is well made and very good value.

With these mods completed I will be well happy with my bike and look forward to some long tours starting with Nan province in June. Still no number plate after 6 weeks or more now. Mind you it took Ducati 4 months to provide the plate on my mates new Multistrada! Not to worried but if your planning a tour outside of Thailand soon after you have purchased your new bike then this is not good.

Cheers

Alan

post-82017-0-78529000-1397960544_thumb.j

post-82017-0-65576900-1397960593_thumb.j

post-82017-0-06631700-1397960635_thumb.j

post-82017-0-96945900-1397960685_thumb.j

post-82017-0-80172400-1397960757_thumb.j

Are those the Givi LED lights? Any reports on how well they work?

Yes they are........ I tend to think of them as get yourself seen rather than light up the far east so have them set none offensive. V-Strom lights are already good but turn these off at night and the difference is significant. The best part about these lights is the quality. Comes with switch and wiring loom including relay. All that's needed is to thread the loom and connect to battery and trigger wire.

Yes they are........ I tend to think of them as get yourself seen rather than light up the far east so have them set none offensive. V-Strom lights are already good but turn these off at night and the difference is significant. The best part about these lights is the quality. Comes with switch and wiring loom including relay. All that's needed is to thread the loom and connect to battery and trigger wire.

Thanks. I was intending on getting some lights but was looking at either those or the Denali D2. There is probably a big difference in the light output, but if it was small enough I was going to go with the more affordable option.

Thanks. I was intending on getting some lights but was looking at either those or the Denali D2. There is probably a big difference in the light output, but if it was small enough I was going to go with the more affordable option.

Have a look on aliexpress.com. Some options on their.

Have a look on aliexpress.com. Some options on their.

R1
??

Good choice for Thailand !!!!!!
I think it's an excellent choice for Thailand.

Good for you. Enjoy...

Enjoy what? Sorry but <deleted> are you talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed something, but isn't this just Suzuki's version of the Versys, about 40k Baht more expensive and without the dealer support network?

From what I've been told, they are not even close.

The SV650 is allegedly a wheelie machine, and obviously a V-Twin as opposed to a parallel.

Like to hear some first-hand info from those who have owned/ridden both though.

Either way, more choice at closer-to-reasonable prices is most definitely a good thing IMO.

FWIW - here is a vid of an SV650 filming a Husky 610 - looks like fun!

Some motorcycle magazine reviews put the V-strom a notch ahead of the Versys in terms of engine vibration, shifting, acceleration, riding comfort, and instrument panel. It is a bit tall for some riders but if you want an all around on and off road bike, this is it. I have been asking owners about their like and dislikes for a year or more and ever single one say it is the best bike they have ever owned.

Well today has finally arrived I collect my new bike. Really excited and of course nervous because of the step up in cc to what I am used

to. Thanks for all the advice here especially alanr for all the support.

Well today has finally arrived I collect my new bike. Really excited and of course nervous because of the step up in cc to what I am used

Big day for you, eh. Congt and safe riding.

Please do report back how you find the ride.

Well done Blowin. I am sure your a very happy man now wearing a smile a mile wide. Ride safe and keep in touch.

Congrats and please throw a report to us.

There is nothing like receiving a new bike in this world!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks guys. I have to admit it was a bit daunting for the first few ks till I got used to the power. I have only ridden small bikes so this was all new

to me. But the boss was brave to ride with me and I have to say it was a blast. Now tomorrow I will take it out and practice more. Thanks again for

all the support and when I saw it for the first time it was love at first sight what a class looking machine .

post-26654-0-25735500-1399376162_thumb.j

Nice bike. Guess it takes some time to get used to the high seat. Be sure to always think of the seat hight before you stop and want to put your foot down thumbsup.gif

But its such a comfortable ride, i envy you smile.png

Nice bike. Guess it takes some time to get used to the high seat. Be sure to always think of the seat hight before you stop and want to put your foot down thumbsup.gif

But its such a comfortable ride, i envy you smile.png

That did not cause a problem as I am just under 6 foot. But my poor wife had plans she is fully airborne so it will have to be just my bike :). But I did stall the bike coming up a hill on a dirt road and she is pretty heavy with a full tank.

Or Touratech, Thailand but they are silly money. Alan's look a better option IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In my ongoing quest to uderstand and fit into this lovely country why oh why is it so difficullt to get the simplest things done by so called F ing experts? As you can guess there has been a cock up with my skid plates....... No longer wishing to trust another welder I am about to take the leap to spend significant amounts of money on a decent AC tig welder and produce the things in house as much as possible. Please bare with me......... Oh dear.....TIT!

Archived