2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

Any body else getting the run around from Suzuki Avenue Bangkok regarding registration and all the other required documents. Excellent product but the after sales in Bangkok is far from good. My friend just bought a V-Strom from Khon Kaen.......... Sooooooooooo much better. £ months and many unanswered calls later they now need all the documentation I provided on date of purchase once again. Khun Pong says "very sorry it my fault and it will come this week. Then within two minuts he calls wife to ask for the documentation he has obviously lost. What a <deleted>! I have emailed Suzuki with my thoughts! Very disappointing for Suzuki Japan and even more so for those of us that dealt with Bangkok!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings all! I have been reading this thread and I also wanted to echo some of the other members in thanking you guys for all the great feedback.

I have just arrived in Rayong where I will be living for the next few years. I have really been interested in the V-Strom and had a quick chance to test ride it up in CM a week or so ago.

I also rented the Versys and Honda's CB500X for a few days each.

Herein lies my internal dilemma between getting the Strom, Versys, or Honda's CB500X.

Now I know it's been discussed and I know the CB500X is far inferior to both the other bikes, but when it's coming in at only 215k, I could afford to go nuts with accessories, whereas 350k for the Strom is already pushing the budgetary limits.

So here's the big question: Am I crazy for even thinking if getting the Honda? Are the other bikes THAT much better?

Evan

Greetings all! I have been reading this thread and I also wanted to echo some of the other members in thanking you guys for all the great feedback.

I have just arrived in Rayong where I will be living for the next few years. I have really been interested in the V-Strom and had a quick chance to test ride it up in CM a week or so ago.

I also rented the Versys and Honda's CB500X for a few days each.

Herein lies my internal dilemma between getting the Strom, Versys, or Honda's CB500X.

Now I know it's been discussed and I know the CB500X is far inferior to both the other bikes, but when it's coming in at only 215k, I could afford to go nuts with accessories, whereas 350k for the Strom is already pushing the budgetary limits.

So here's the big question: Am I crazy for even thinking if getting the Honda? Are the other bikes THAT much better?

Evan

Yes they are if you're going to be touring. While the 500X can easily roll at 140 kph, you're not just going to be able to twist the throttle and get the response at that speed like the bigger bikes will give you. The added power is nice when you have a pillion. You won't use that much more petrol with the bigger bikes either.

In the city it's more of a toss-up. The CB500X has 0,1" more suspension travel (5") than the Versys and 0,3" less than the V-Strom. More travel can result in a smoother ride and ease of kerb jumping. The CB500X has 1,4" less seat height (31,9") than the Versys and 1" less than the V-Strom; it may be easier to flat foot at the many lights. As on even the 500X I am at eye level with Vigo drivers I can't see much advantage to the higher seats on the other bikes. The 500X is 11kg lighter (195kg) than the Versys and a whopping 25kg lighter than the V-Strom. Lighter weight translates into ease of movement. The CB500x is 0,6" narrower (32,4") than both the competitors. Narrow bikes are easier to filtre with.

Looks are subjective, but to be honest none of the three bikes are a looker. In my mind the 500X has the least offensive plastics on it, but the swingarm and frame of the Versys really make the corresponding parts of the Honda look cheap. The Buell rip-off exhaust on the Versys is also nicer, but probably a bit less in tune with a real adventure bike where the V-Strom wins there. The V-Strom also has the built in luggage rack if that matters to you.

The Versys has been on the market for quite some time; there are numerous upgrades/aftermarket parts for it. The CB500X has been out for over a year and there's stuff out there, but nothing close to that offered for the Versys. The V-Strom has just been released; few aftermarket parts for it. None the less, the parts you can get for any of the bikes don't cost all the much really; get the bike you want and save up the little bit it will cost to upgrade it to your style.

Very good summery dave boo. I'd just like to add V Stom has been around for a fair while (in a couple of different form) in other countries. For spares it seems Jacketboy Facebook page is good in LOS and there are many other locations in US/ Ozzie and Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

deecypher, also not to mention that the Versys will be much easier to sale when you are done with it.

I'd go for the Versys if you plan to do touring or with a pillion.

In my opinion, forget about saving money for accessories and get the better bike. a year later you can still add accessories and still be happy with the more decent bike.

Any body else getting the run around from Suzuki Avenue Bangkok regarding registration and all the other required documents. Excellent product but the after sales in Bangkok is far from good. My friend just bought a V-Strom from Khon Kaen.......... Sooooooooooo much better. £ months and many unanswered calls later they now need all the documentation I provided on date of purchase once again. Khun Pong says "very sorry it my fault and it will come this week. Then within two minuts he calls wife to ask for the documentation he has obviously lost. What a <deleted>! I have emailed Suzuki with my thoughts! Very disappointing for Suzuki Japan and even more so for those of us that dealt with Bangkok!

Bought the GSXR 5/6 months ago. Haven't received the registration yet. Maybe due to the recent protests causing a backlog.

Very good summery dave boo. I'd just like to add V Stom has been around for a fair while (in a couple of different form) in other countries. For spares it seems Jacketboy Facebook page is good in LOS and there are many other locations in US/ Ozzie and Europe.

Yeah, I should have said that the comment in regards to aftermarket bits and bobs was directed at locally manufactured items.

Bought the GSXR 5/6 months ago. Haven't received the registration yet. Maybe due to the recent protests causing a backlog.

At last after far to much buggering about from me and the lovely wife we finally got all the documents from Suzuki Avenue Bangkok. Only just though as we picked them up at 9pm on the 3/6/2014 prior to a 6 day tour starting at 6am the following morning. Khun Pong is a complete plonker whom does not even have the balls to admit it was himself that lost all my original documents at time of purchase. A discrace to Suzuki IMO and Suzuki Thailand have been informed and are in communication over this cock up which I am sure is not just happening to me!

Just completed 6 amazing days and 2400km tour taking in Nan province. I will give a better report later but having ridden many roads on different bikes over the years including 2 Versys here I can say the V-Strom was an absolute stonking bike to ride. And yes IMO it out handles and out performs the Versys and does it with much less effort.

Alanr

Thanks for all your comments. Why am I not surprised? Japanese provide excellent product and a workable system for sales and aftersales and the Thais decide it is too much hassle and they'll do it the short cut way but screw it up. Seen it a million times. The remedy is strong, firm management. If this is lacking, well things go wrong. It is good to have this information.

I was thinking of getting the other 650, the SV650 but if the Thai dealership is useless, then forget it.

Alanr

Thanks for all your comments. Why am I not surprised? Japanese provide excellent product and a workable system for sales and aftersales and the Thais decide it is too much hassle and they'll do it the short cut way but screw it up. Seen it a million times. The remedy is strong, firm management. If this is lacking, well things go wrong. It is good to have this information.

I was thinking of getting the other 650, the SV650 but if the Thai dealership is useless, then forget it.

Bike is good and so are the dealers all but Bangkok..........

Any body else getting the run around from Suzuki Avenue Bangkok regarding registration and all the other required documents. Excellent product but the after sales in Bangkok is far from good. My friend just bought a V-Strom from Khon Kaen.......... Sooooooooooo much better. £ months and many unanswered calls later they now need all the documentation I provided on date of purchase once again. Khun Pong says "very sorry it my fault and it will come this week. Then within two minuts he calls wife to ask for the documentation he has obviously lost. What a ! I have emailed Suzuki with my thoughts! Very disappointing for Suzuki Japan and even more so for those of us that dealt with Bangkok!

At last after far to much buggering about from me and the lovely wife we finally got all the documents from Suzuki Avenue Bangkok. Only just though as we picked them up at 9pm on the 3/6/2014 prior to a 6 day tour starting at 6am the following morning. Khun Pong is a complete plonker whom does not even have the balls to admit it was himself that lost all my original documents at time of purchase. A discrace to Suzuki IMO and Suzuki Thailand have been informed and are in communication over this cock up which I am sure is not just happening to me
Alan, you sure he lost your documents and it wasn't just a delay at the DMV due to the recent protests?

I've heard of newly-purchased bikes from other manufacturers having a similarly long wait for registration in Bangkok recently.

I've been promised plate and green book at the end of this month and I bought the bike about 6 months ago. We'll see.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Any body else getting the run around from Suzuki Avenue Bangkok regarding registration and all the other required documents. Excellent product but the after sales in Bangkok is far from good. My friend just bought a V-Strom from Khon Kaen.......... Sooooooooooo much better. £ months and many unanswered calls later they now need all the documentation I provided on date of purchase once again. Khun Pong says "very sorry it my fault and it will come this week. Then within two minuts he calls wife to ask for the documentation he has obviously lost. What a ! I have emailed Suzuki with my thoughts! Very disappointing for Suzuki Japan and even more so for those of us that dealt with Bangkok!

At last after far to much buggering about from me and the lovely wife we finally got all the documents from Suzuki Avenue Bangkok. Only just though as we picked them up at 9pm on the 3/6/2014 prior to a 6 day tour starting at 6am the following morning. Khun Pong is a complete plonker whom does not even have the balls to admit it was himself that lost all my original documents at time of purchase. A discrace to Suzuki IMO and Suzuki Thailand have been informed and are in communication over this cock up which I am sure is not just happening to me
Alan, you sure he lost your documents and it wasn't just a delay at the DMV due to the recent protests?

I've heard of newly-purchased bikes from other manufacturers having a similarly long wait for registration in Bangkok recently.

I've been promised plate and green book at the end of this month and I bought the bike about 6 months ago. We'll see.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Nope nothing to do with the protests. He lost my documentation and it only took him two days to get everything done once we sent him new info. So if can do in two days why does it always take so long even when they don't loose anything?

Alanr

Thanks for replying.

I was under the impression that Bangkok was the only dealer at present for Suzuki big bikes. Are there others?

Alanr

Thanks for replying.

I was under the impression that Bangkok was the only dealer at present for Suzuki big bikes. Are there others?

Other existing dealers are going to go into Suzy big bikes. I know

The Ubon dealership was organising the change last time I visited. They had one Strom and a VanVan on show.

Alanr

Thanks for replying.

Khon Kaen and Ubon Rattatani are both excellent. Check out your local Suzuki dealer as they are spreading fast.

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but if I were to walk into a Suzuki dealership to buy a brand new V-Strom 650, what additional fees, if any, would I be looking at on top of the 350k retail price? From what I can gather, a 7% VAT tax is already included in the price. Specifically, I'm interested to know about excise tax, registration, etc.

Thanks!

In my experience, the bike price has always included everything. Even the first years insurance and at least one junk helmet. Last time they gave me two junk helmets.

But I have never bought a bike over 150cc in Thailand.

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but if I were to walk into a Suzuki dealership to buy a brand new V-Strom 650, what additional fees, if any, would I be looking at on top of the 350k retail price? From what I can gather, a 7% VAT tax is already included in the price. Specifically, I'm interested to know about excise tax, registration, etc.

Thanks!

To give you an idea, my Honda CB 500 X out of the showroom was 215,000 Baht. The add-ons were insurance (first-class), tax, registration and compulsory government insurance. The total was 227,000 Baht. The bulk of that was first-class insurance which was around 9000 Baht.

So if insurance is included, add around 3000 Baht. If first-class insurance is not included, add around 20,000 Baht. First-class insurance is of course optional. Do not confuse it with government insurance which is not optional.

Hope this helps.

In my experience, the bike price has always included everything. Even the first years insurance and at least one junk helmet. Last time they gave me two junk helmets.

Sent from my Lenovo A820 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have not enquiried recently at Suzuki BKK but when I did 6 months ago, the price did NOT include insurance. They did, however do a limited time deal with free insurance a while back but I have no idea of details/dates.

I have not enquiried recently at Suzuki BKK but when I did 6 months ago, the price did NOT include insurance. They did, however do a limited time deal with free insurance a while back but I have no idea of details/dates.

Indeed, Issanman is, I think, confusing compulsory government insurance with first-class insurance. First-class insurance is optional and not cheap and I have never, never had that "thrown in" with the deal here in Thailand.

Even the government insurance (under 500 Baht) is not included but you have to add this to the showroom price. The showroom will put a healthy mark-up on this of course.

I have only ever bought small bikes in Thailand so in my cases, first-class insurance was never mentioned or considered. Thanks for the correction.

I have only ever bought small bikes in Thailand so in my cases, first-class insurance was never mentioned or considered. Thanks for the correction.

That is correct. There are 2 different insurance types here. First-class insurance is generally unavailable in Thailand on small bikes. I sought but could never find!!

But for bigger bikes, CBR 150 and larger, it is available but often only in the earlier years of a bike's life.

Govt insurance only covers third party injury. In Thai this is phor ror bor. This is compulsory.

First-class insurance on a V-Strom should be around 15,000 Baht - 20,000 Baht a year depending on what the policy covers.

Thanks!

First class insurance and registration was another 17,000 baht so 367,000 baht on the road price. Free insurance and registration fee was only available during a promotion period. I missed that too!

Thanks!

First class insurance and registration was another 17,000 baht so 367,000 baht on the road price. Free insurance and registration fee was only available during a promotion period. I missed that too!

Hi alan been away for awhile :( this was the same for me when I got my bike in May. Free compulsory insurance and registration was all that was offered.

V-Strom Review. Nan Trip, 5 riders on 2 x V-Strom's 1 x Versys & 2 x Multistrada's.

Just completed a six day tour to Nan and back totaling 2448km on the bike. First stretch from Buriram is a bore until you get past Chum Pae on Route 12. After that you start to get into some beautiful biking country and I have to say our trip up to Nan was full on twisty mountain roads and void of traffic. In fact one road was all new fresh tarmac and we didn't see a single sole for some 35+km. As you can imagine we enjoyed ourselves and as the days went on the smiles got bigger. Nan has on offer every type of road and stunning scenery. Tony's Place (Bikers Corner) in Nan is a must for great food and hospitality.

The bike continues to impress in every department and held its own extremely well against my mate Andy (the nutter) on his Multistrada. Road with him last December on the Mae Hong Song loop on my Versys and it was hard work staying with him. As I have owned both Versys and now V-Strom and ridden similar roads with the same guys it's good to compare. Overall comfort of the V-Strom is very good even day after day in the saddle. The bike rides silky smooth with very little vibration anywhere. Swapping bikes with one of the guys on a Versys quickly reminded me of how much they buzz and I had forgotten all about the fuzzy mirrors. The engine power is about the same but delivery is very different. The Strom pulls from around 2500rpm without any snatching and with a wider gear spacing allows for a lot less up and down changes whilst chasing the switch backs. Brakes are very strong with a nice feel and very little effort required. When it comes to handling I enjoyed the Versys very much and had always known the V-Strom would be slower and less agile with its longer wheel base and 19" front wheel. By day two this proved to be not the case for me at all. I find the Strom tips in easier settles quicker and gives a much more secure feeling with lots of feedback. It flicks from left to right very quickly and I was able to ride to the edge of the tyre with ease. When it did get a little scary such as I read it wrong or the road was a tad slippery it was so easy to correct without the sphincter muscle having a seizure. On the muddy or graveled roads the 19" wheel and longer wheel base makes riding these surfaces very easy. It's a shame the abs has no off switch but this was not a problem on this trip but maybe full rainy season muddy tracks might be.

Suspension is very smooth and soaks up the bumps with ease and handles hard ridding without any fuss. The adjustment is there but loaded or unloaded I leave it where it is.

Bridgestone tyres were a big surprise and offer a stonking amount of grip.

4 ltr / 100km at best and worst was 5 ltr / 100km which easliy gives 350km between fill ups.

The bike is a joy to ride and a great choice for Thailand at a cracking price. Do I miss the the extra cubes a 1000cc+ gives? Yes of coarse I do but do I really need it? Simple answer is no. Mind you the 1000 V-Strom brochure was shoved under my nose and it is very tempting! Either way, Suzuki make a very good bike and they have always been my preferred Jap choice. The Versys is a great bike and kudos to Kawasaki for opening the market. Versys is showing its age a little now and hopefully when a new model comes out Kawasaki will give it a dedicated chassis like they did the 1000cc and make it the bike it can be. Very sad Bangkok are not doing their job but the privately owned Suzuki dealerships that I have had contact with in Isaan seem very switched on and offer a service I think we can have confidence in.

Alanr

Thanks for replying.

Phuket has a Suzuki big bike dealership, they are excellent!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Terrific review alanr!!!

Can anyone recommend the best luggage for the Wee, something that would be available in Thailand that is fairly inexpensive. Looking for panniers, top box, preferably that can all be removed easily. Is aluminum THAT much better than plastic? Does black luggage get really HOT inside? Are top loading panniers essential? Anyone retrofit their luggage with a cooling system for food (read: beer)?

Archived