2014 Suzuki V-Strom

SumetCycle

Terrific review alanr!!!

Can anyone recommend the best luggage for the Wee, something that would be available in Thailand that is fairly inexpensive. Looking for panniers, top box, preferably that can all be removed easily. Is aluminum THAT much better than plastic? Does black luggage get really HOT inside? Are top loading panniers essential? Anyone retrofit their luggage with a cooling system for food (read: beer)?

Hi deecypher,

Unfortunately the best luggage system for a Wee is not going to be inexpensive. Plastic is fine but for sure aluminium is going to be stronger as it was designed to be used for adventure riding where the bike will be dropped from time to time. The Suzuki luggage is made by Hepco & Becker which have a good name, saying that my mate had the Top Box and it decided to detach itself 350k into a tour the other week. The box survived although somewhat bashed and we used a cargo net for the rest of the tour to prevent it happening again. Personally I prefer Givi. I have used their luggage systems many times without and problems and they fasten on and off easily.

The Strom has one annoyance and that is the monstrous exhaust pipe, fitted so far out it prevents a neat and balance luggage system being fitted and ends up ridiculously wide. I bought the Givi Outback Trecker system with the standard 37ltr exhaust side and 48ltr opposite in black. After fitting I could not live with the width so I changed the 48ltr for another 37ltr fitted a new exhaust system which was on the cards anyway and cut and re-manufactured the exhaust side rack to match the opposite side. This to me was worth the effort and I am now very happy with the set up and i posted some photo's earlier in the thread. The top loading is useful as it stops stuff spilling out when you open them on the bike. They are also totally waterproof and being square and strong can take aditional loads strapped to the top. They can also double up as a handy seat once removed. This system also has one of the easiest quick releases I have seen on alloy boxes.

Jacketboy.com on facebook can supply any type of Givi luggage for the Strom and has many photos on his web page. The guys name is Krasian, he speaks very good English and his service is excellent.

Regarding cooling systems just chuck a couple of cool bricks into a cool bag and your good to go........

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good review, 2 quick questions if you don't mind. How tall are you and how do you find the seat height on the V-Strom? I am thinking of getting a new bike but I am vertically challenged.

I like your review in that it shows how bikes that are similar on paper don't always feel that similar when ridden. I used to have a VFR800fi and while it was a pretty heavy bike (and some folks rated it poorly because of that), it never felt heavy unless I was at very low speeds.

Good review, 2 quick questions if you don't mind. How tall are you and how do you find the seat height on the V-Strom? I am thinking of getting a new bike but I am vertically challenged.

I like your review in that it shows how bikes that are similar on paper don't always feel that similar when ridden. I used to have a VFR800fi and while it was a pretty heavy bike (and some folks rated it poorly because of that), it never felt heavy unless I was at very low speeds.

I am 5'9" and 31" inside leg. Can put both feet flat with the standard seat and perfect for me. Suzuki do a 2cm higher or lower seat and and you can also buy lowering links (ebay) for the rear suspension so it can be tailored to fit just about any size quite easily.

I have the CB 500 X wihich has a slightly lower claimed seat height than the V-Strom. Seat width also plays a part. I am 5' 5" and riding and stopping is no problem. Occasionally it is tricky if the ground on which I want to put my foot down is lower than the bike e.g. rain drainage channel etc.

I think although it is no problem 99.99% of the time, I would in hindsight have bought something not as tall e.g. CB 500 F or er6n. However having bought it, I will not be changing it due to the height.

So, if you are the same height as me, you certainly want to consider seat height before buying the V-Strom. Suzuki do do another 650 with a very low seat and a full luggage deal, you may want to consider.

I am actually about 5'8 but I only have a 28" inseam. Basically I have the typical no neck, knuckle-dragger build. I think the Vstrom might be a bit too tall for me. I am not a big fan of the lowering kits as they change the geometry. I suppose I could lower the forks in the triple clamp to offset that but I just don't want to mess around that much. One good thing about having the build of an ape is I never complain about the pegs being too high and the bars are not as much of a stretch.

I am thinking the cb500f might be a better choice for me ergonomically but I am worried that it just might not have enough fun factor. Maybe the CB650f or whatever the naked 650 4cyl is called would be better but I think its seat is a bit higher than the cb500f. But as Briggsy says seat heright is only one factor the seats shape makes a big difference too. If it narrows up enough near the tank I am usually ok.

I have the CB 500 X wihich has a slightly lower claimed seat height than the V-Strom. Seat width also plays a part. I am 5' 5" and riding and stopping is no problem. Occasionally it is tricky if the ground on which I want to put my foot down is lower than the bike e.g. rain drainage channel etc.

I think although it is no problem 99.99% of the time, I would in hindsight have bought something not as tall e.g. CB 500 F or er6n. However having bought it, I will not be changing it due to the height.

So, if you are the same height as me, you certainly want to consider seat height before buying the V-Strom. Suzuki do do another 650 with a very low seat and a full luggage deal, you may want to consider.

True, but the Gladius is a completely different style bike. I understand that he forks can be dropped up to 10mm too as well as lower " dog-leg" joints being fitted to the rear suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am actually about 5'8 but I only have a 28" inseam. Basically I have the typical no neck, knuckle-dragger build. I think the Vstrom might be a bit too tall for me. I am not a big fan of the lowering kits as they change the geometry. I suppose I could lower the forks in the triple clamp to offset that but I just don't want to mess around that much. One good thing about having the build of an ape is I never complain about the pegs being too high and the bars are not as much of a stretch.

I am thinking the cb500f might be a better choice for me ergonomically but I am worried that it just might not have enough fun factor. Maybe the CB650f or whatever the naked 650 4cyl is called would be better but I think its seat is a bit higher than the cb500f. But as Briggsy says seat heright is only one factor the seats shape makes a big difference too. If it narrows up enough near the tank I am usually ok.

Cb650f is nearly as low as cb500f. I see very small and short thai guys riding it nicely.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

V strom lovers, i was at 'panda rider' to get revit one piece raincoat today and they have a fully build v strom there.

Check the parts list, they have all the parts available.

Liked the tool set box cum skid plate. Looks handy.

Also owner of panda rider just bought bmw nine t. Sits in the middle of the shop, so nice! He has a nice collection of bikes there now!

post-184955-14029180616134_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14029180773312_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14029180929006_thumb.jpg

post-184955-1402918105741_thumb.jpg

Cb650f is nearly as low as cb500f. I see very small and short thai guys riding it nicely.

Today saw a fairly short Thai chap on a Versys. Surprised me as if there was that much of a disparity between me and a bike I would hesitate to ride it in Bangkok.

No worries if you are short!

holy shit. that guy is such a shorty and handles so well his BMW to do a wheelie. dang!

But could you imagine him on Sukhumvit at 1800 hours?
He'd have to have boots like Elton John in Pinball Wizard Ooops showing my age now!

another video how to ride taller bike.

in the end, the height does not matter that much if you can handle well. regardless of seat height, the v-strom seems like the best deal for an all-round touring bike in Thailand.

and I couldn't imagine if he was having a passenger. seems quite a dangerous thing to do, riding a bike you cant touch the floor.

No worries if you are short!

holy shit. that guy is such a shorty and handles so well his BMW to do a wheelie. dang!

He'd have to have boots like Elton John in Pinball Wizard Ooops showing my age now!

no dilligad, you are not showing your age. I like the movie 'Tommy' a lot and i am relatively young!

but yes dave, i cannot imagine that guy around Sukhumvit or anywhere in Bangkok between 17:00 to 19:00!

• 2 weeks later...

Suzuki Ubon today confirmed that they sell AND service the Suzy big bike range now. They had 2 Stroms and 2 Gladius plus a few other models in stock. Also notice the new Honda BigWing shop under construction a short way away.

On my way to pick up my brand new Wee from Mityon Pattaya. They are the temporary dealer for Suzuki big bikes until they open their own dealership, coming "soon". First NEW bike ever!

Good luck and ride safe

On my way to pick up my brand new Wee from Mityon Pattaya. They are the temporary dealer for Suzuki big bikes until they open their own dealership, coming "soon". First NEW bike ever!

I've heard some horror stories about Mityon Pattaya.

And they're going to be an official Suzuki dealer? The mind boggles.

they are official dealer of every major brand there.

what an outright monopoly! Monopoly kills the competition that benefits consumers.

I had a VERY positive experience with the staff there. Other than the fact that they hardly allow for much negotiation, they were extremely friendly and one girl there has very good English. Like some others had mentioned earlier in this thread, I couldn't negotiate much on the price, but had them comp some accessories and insurance ~ 10k worth.

I had a VERY positive experience with the staff there. Other than the fact that they hardly allow for much negotiation, they were extremely friendly and one girl there has very good English. Like some others had mentioned earlier in this thread, I couldn't negotiate much on the price, but had them comp some accessories and insurance ~ 10k worth.

so you paid 350k on the road price and what else did they offer you free???

so you paid 350k on the road price and what else did they offer you free???

I got the Wee, rego, 1st class insurance, tax, low seat, hand guards, and centre stand all in 370,000. Would have cost over 380,000 with all that stuff. Not a great deal but at least I can rest well knowing that re-sale values in Thailand are WAYYY better than they are back in Canada (not that I EVER intend on selling this bad boy!)

"A good negotiation is when both sides feel like they got screwed." SHAMELESS

I have dealt with Mit Yon both for big bike (Honda) and small bike sales at different branches.

Of course they are friendly when you come in and buy a bike. They are dealers. They make their profit and commission by putting as many units out of the door as possible.

Big Wing Pattaya (Mit Yon) is a pale version of Big Wing Bangkok. I will tell you why.

1. There is no firm management. If you want the staff to behave you need a manager who they fear and respect present on site. The sales manager is usually not there. The head mechanic is just one of the lads.

2. The sales people routinely add on random mark-ups to accessories. (Bike prices are fixed). When questioned, the mark-ups melt down. They are trying it on.

3. They don't evenly remotely adhere to the service schedule set out by Honda. "No need", "We did it" (they didn't), etc.

4. They bizarrely overfill oil, over-inflate tyres, over-tighten the chain and overfill the coolant. And that is only what I noticed. I can only assumed they are very badly trained (learn on the job?) or mistakenly think "more is better".

5. They decline to use standard equipment for measuring. T-square, torque wrench, pressure gauge, etc. I can understand this in small garages but Big Wing is a fully-equipped workshop designed by Honda.

In summary as someone pointed out, they have no competition as they are a monopoly. They are selling a superb product. They rely on these 2 facts to blag their way through. I recommend you use another dealer which will require you not using Suzuki or Big Wing Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest updates on my V-Strom. I purchased the standard set up of Givi Treker Outback panniers and due to the exhaust off set the boxes come as an odd pair as do the Suzuki boxes, 1x37ltr for the exhaust side and 1x48ltr for the left side. The exhaust side frame is spaced out to clear the hideously large Suzuki can and the whole set up may well be first class quality but so wide that I was worried about filtering and it look ridiculous IMO. To rectify this I modified the exhaust system and exchanged the left side 48ltr box for a 37ltr with Jacketboy.com. I then set about cutting welding the right side frame to match the left side.

Whilst waiting for the new box to arrive I made my own skid plate and got this and the modified frame powder coated and fitted. The new box set up looks much better and is just slightly wider than the bars at present but with hand guards fitted I think it will be around the same width. Skid plate finishes off the lower engine whilst also adding protection to the engine and oil filter. For those interested the skid plate is fixed to the crash bar and bike frame and not the "engine" like Givi and some others do. Skid plates on bikes of this size and weight will suffer damage if bottomed onto rocks etc on a regular basis and are more to provide protection agaist flying debris. Saying that if you do impact on a skid plate mounted directly to the engine it can crack engine casings causing massive and expensive problems. I intend making more of these units as soon as I get time and they will fit Givi or Suzuki type engine bars. I am aiming to price reasonably around 5000 baht.

Hand guards are on the way and I have also fitted two 12v sockets to the dash for the GPS bracket I have yet to make.

Centre stand from Jacketboy.com 2900 baht. Had to be modified this slightly as the main spring would not stay on the pins as the heads were to small. The stand did not fall as it was caught by the secondary spring "but" not good and required attention before using again. This involved drilling out the existing pins and fitting new pins with larger heads and welding into place. I have informed Jacketboy.com. Other than that the stand is well made and very good value.

With these mods completed I will be well happy with my bike and look forward to some long tours starting with Nan province in June. Still no number plate after 6 weeks or more now. Mind you it took Ducati 4 months to provide the plate on my mates new Multistrada! Not to worried but if your planning a tour outside of Thailand soon after you have purchased your new bike then this is not good.

Cheers

Alan

Hey Alan,

So I'm thoroughly enjoying my new Wee and I've been doing some extensive research on luggage and I just LOVE what you have done! I'm really interested in aluminium luggage, so it's pretty much between the SW-Motech TraX or Givi Outback setup with matching 37L bags. The cheapest I've found is Jacketboy's Givi setup for 36,000. However, the OEM luggage looks like SW-Motech. If my math is correct and they are asking 52,000 for the 3 case setup and 19,000 for just the top-box, the side panniers and rack alone could be as cheap as 33,000. Still unclear which are better, Givi or SW Motech.

see: http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/bigbike/home.php?id_product=1&type=parts#parts

Also, how are you coming with the skid plates? I would love some more details on them, VERY interested.

post-197531-0-56449600-1404650517_thumb.

Hi deecypher,

Very pleased with my Givi boxes and like their quick release system but SW Motech should be top quality to. You pays your money and takes your choice. Regarding the skid plates they are progressing along and should have some available soon. I have changed the design slightly to allow easier oil filter access and increased from 3mm to 4mm alloy sheet for added strength. I will keep you posted.

Hi deecypher,

Very pleased with my Givi boxes and like their quick release system but SW Motech should be top quality to. You pays your money and takes your choice. Regarding the skid plates they are progressing along and should have some available soon. I have changed the design slightly to allow easier oil filter access and increased from 3mm to 4mm alloy sheet for added strength. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Alan. One follow up on your Givis if I may:

1) I know you opted for the black powder coating. Did you get them for aesthetics or because you wanted to avoid aluminum oxide dust. I personally like the silver version, but don't want to deal with oxide dust smudging on my gear.

2) I know you modified the PL___CAM rack to make it even narrower, but do you know the width between the inner edge of the cases before you modified? I'm trying to discern my maximum top case width.

Cheers! E

Archived