Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

Lite Beer

I have no problem with the Monks and others doing their spiritual, religious thing.   I do have a problem when the people who are actually supposed to use science, engineering and reasoning  rely on this stuff.   

Yeah it's clear these people didn't get to their position through competence. From the article we have the (former, fortunately) director of the international airport and meteorology dept. - 

"Dr. Smith Thammasaroj, former director of Suvarnnabhumi Airport, told Thai Rath he was convinced of the existence of supernatural entities around the airport even though, he admitted, he had never encountered any particular case personally.

The scientist who once headed Thailand′s Meteorological Department said he had invited so many psychics to conduct ceremonies and constructed so many shrines "that I can′t keep count". 

"We even had to build a condominium for the ghosts to reside," Dr. Smith said, "Because the spirits are so many individual spirit houses won′t be enough"."

Is he the same Dr. Smith from the movie "Lost in space"?

How unfortunate that Dr Smith is called a scientist here.

:lol:

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a compete load of superstitious, nonsensical <deleted>

Someone please enlighten me that this is a 'spoof' article!!!!

Can you imagine the head of a FTSE100 company having a bit of bad luck with the companies fortunes ordering 'spirit appeasing' sessions in all of the underperforming divisions?

This is just so funny I can't take any more!!!w00t.gifblink.png.

Many of them pray to some form of god which to me is just as superstitious and ridiculous as blaming spirits.

• Like 1

Hmmmm...let's see. So if there are a lot of transportation accidents occurring, instead of instituting

safety measures to protect tourists, time for a merit making ceremony to ward off evil spirits......

Not sure if this is funny or sad.

Neither. It's just stupid.

Way to go (again) Thailand in improving the way you are thought of in the world arena. You take 1 step towards 1st world status and 2 steps back. Try again.

Expect to see Thai Airways complaining about loss of bookings very soon and then receiving a nice subsidy from the Govt. after they block a road somewhere.

What i find funny is the replies to it. How can you live in Thailand and be surprised at it. Also you will find superstition in a lot of Asian countries. People come here to live and never even bother to look at the Thai culture. From the moment they get of the plane they start to make a list of what is wrong with Thailand.

I wonder if this will go the way of the Down town Inn here in Chiang Mai? They had some monks in to chase the spirits away and then they tore the building down. You don't have to buy there culture but you don't have to put it down either. Also just because they don't carry it to extremes don't for a moment believe there is no superstition where you come from. The people in charge are doing every thing any other airline or airport would do plus the cleansing ceremonies.

One final note if it makes the news out side of Thailand it will be forgotten tomorrow. In spite of what people think the whole world does not rotate on events in Thailand.

I read threads like this and I wonder why people come here to Thailand. Maybe many of them are looking for people they can feel superior to.

• Like 2

EWopen posted

Hmmmm...let's see. So if there are a lot of transportation accidents occurring, instead of instituting

safety measures to protect tourists, time for a merit making ceremony to ward off evil spirits......

Sad because its just another way to dodge responsibility and actually do something substantive, like better maintenance, but no were goling to blame it on spirits and skate sad.png

An ignorant mischaracterization. Actions to satisfy some peoples' spiritual beliefs does not mean that anyone is trying to "skate."

Put this man in charge from the PM's position, temples, ministries, right down to crowd control for protests. He sould have a following/voting base of 60%. Furnish whiskey and 75% may be possible.

Edited by slapout

Well, there is always something or someone can take my breath away when I read Thai Visa every day but this is a first. My wife just came in to the kitchen area to hear me chewing on my museli and banana saying out loud 'Unbelievable, totally frakking unbelievable'.

I really am in total disbelief that the Managing Director of an international airline, a flag carrier no less is issuing a public statement of this magnitude. Thai Airways has today, taken the heat of every other airline in the world because they have just become the laughing stock of aviation the world over. Perhaps their new strap line should be 'Thai Airways - Taking you to new heights'. New heights of folly and hilarity that is.

I am sure that the FAA and EASA will be overjoyed that the aircraft flying into it's airspace from Thailand have been the subject of the additional maintenance procedure of spirit appeasing. I do hope that mention of this countermeasure will be placed on the final inspection report of the 'botched' landing at swampy. The heads of FAA and EASA should both ban Thai Airways aircraft from their airspace with immediate effect until a complete clarification has taken place of the stance of the airline and in particular it's senior management, some positions (appointments) I might add which are required to meet approval of domestic CAA's.

To know of the poverty round that airport and to learn that they have a condo, built for the spirits is too much. I can just imagine the comments of every crew that land at swampy from now on. The pilots in the front will be taking the piss relentlessly.

Where was I, oh yes, I am turning blue as my breath has been taken away, I need to breath and my fingers cannot type fast enough to convey my thoughts. Time to breath and finish my museli.

Sounds sort of like a lot of sclerotic raving. Finish your daily museli so that you will stay "regular" and then time for your daily constitutional nap? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Sad, quite sad!

Too funny...... I thought by the title of the article that the accidents were caused by personnel who were drunk on "spirits". Even my Thai wife laughed when she read it, and she's a devout Buddhist. She said, "You're talking about a major airport here, not the corner of my paw's rice field!!". We were both cracking up!

Edited by The Usual Suspect
  • Like 1

Nobody seems to have taken Techboy's "Father, Son and Holy Ghost" bait. Pity, I was hoping to hear about the merits of angels and saints and things .....

As soon as the Managing Director of an international airline claims JC or St Peter was helping people off an aircraft at their hub airport, believe me, we will take the bait ;)

• Like 2