Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

Lite Beer

Nobody seems to have taken Techboy's "Father, Son and Holy Ghost" bait. Pity, I was hoping to hear about the merits of angels and saints and things .....

Maybe the true believers missed it, unfortunately as I was also waiting to hear the clap trap that goes along with it ...............

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone thru several blessings/rituals for various reasons out of respect for my Thai wife's beliefs and she knows that I don't believe in ghosts/spirits and respects my belief in 'Casper' [the friendly ghost]. Now, as long as it doesn't cost me big baht or attract big crowds, she can do what makes her feel comfortable.

We can count our blessings that Thais don't bury live children in the cement used to build bridges as has been documented in the Philippines...........or maybe they should?? Just kidding, of course.

Previously, Thai Rath has reported that a ghost in "traditional costume" (which strangely resembles the outfit Thai Airways flight attendants wear) has helped evacuate the passengers from the aircraft shortly after it slid off the runway.

Must have been an air ghostess!

Good one! Makes one wonder when the 'ghostess' might be promoted to 'co-pilot', eh?

http://www.amazon.com/God-My-Pilot-Robert-Scott/dp/1178805743

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037746/

Then there is Auckland's Novotel Airport official blessing Ceremony:

http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/Corporate/NewsAndMedia/AllMediaReleases/NOVOTEL-opening-ceremony.aspx

Or how about a A blessing ceremony, led by Kahu Kimokeo Kapahulehua for Maui, Hawaii Airport's new shuttle service:

http://mauinow.com/2013/08/02/roberts-hawai%CA%BBi-hires-39-for-newly-launched-airport-shuttle/

I could cite thousands of examples of invocation of the supernatural for a blessing in the West, but, I'm sure you get my drift: Thailand does not exactly have a monopoly on the (hopefully, only partial) reliance on the supernatural to promote 'good luck' (or whatever you want to call it). I'm sure most of us have heard of the Trinity - the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

Giving a blessing to appease the spirits Iand bring good luck is one thing I guess, but something else for a high up in a company to come out ad say their recent mishap was because of the spirits

I don't think he went as far as to blame the incident on the spirits, did he (I don't feel obligated to trust the source)?

This man has mind-boggling credentials:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/management/sorajak-kasemsuvan-TG/

Was playing the 'Spirit card' some kind of inscrutable ploy to appease more than just the spirits? Now my interest is piqued.

But if it is indeed the case, the only thing I can say is (as usual and like most others): TiT

Mind-boggling credentials - hardly and any credibility should now be in tatters, that's unless he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he made the statement.

This is of course all nonsense. Everybody who has ever worked in aviation knows that all mishaps are the work of so-called "Gremlins" which are "mischievous and mechanically oriented, with a specific interest in aircaft." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gremlin

There are unsubstantiated claims that the male gremlins, who are the ones doing the damage, are usually chased off by female gremlins (like "Fifinella"), so attracting female gremlins to the aircraft is said to be the only remedy.

I think he needs to do a human sacrifice to the gods, that's what the druids used to do 2000 years ago, to keep Britain & Ireland rolling along nicely 555

and see what happened since they stopped doing that tongue.png

In relation to the airplane accident, some of you might be interested in the following news item: http://jansaviation.com/news.php?art=crash-landing-in-bangkok

Nothing about nose wheel failing.

Yes, that is interesting and completely contrary to everything Thai air has said. Sounds like a very rough landing. It says the right wing touched the runway, but did't say if that was before or after the right main tires blew. Also doesn't say anything about collapsed landing gear.

Can't believe a word Thais say.

I have no problem with the Monks and others doing their spiritual, religious thing.   I do have a problem when the people who are actually supposed to use science, engineering and reasoning  rely on this stuff.   

Very scary; light 3 incense sticks and then drive a van at 140 Km/hr.   

if it is true, someone probably made a few bob and is collecting the rent.

Sent from my WT-PAD013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Come , Thai- apologists! Where are you?

Such nice tradition and culture and if you don't like it: go home!

Aren't you dlad, you are not living in a nanny- state, where everything is regulated?

Be a little advetorous, huh?!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

So, who has notified CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera etc. of this?

edit: I have taken the liberty of sending this to CNN.

The BBC is now also done wink.png

............. and 'The Sun'

Good man. I applaud your efforts to disseminate Thainess to the rest of the world.

Our glorious muppet PM will no doubt be very pleased you are taking her desire to promote Thainess so seriously, and will, no doubt, personally congratulate you for your efforts. If she ever returns from her overseas shopping trips, that is.

Aren't you dlad, you are not living in a nanny- state, where everything is regulated?

After you.

Thai airways has faith in it ghouls n ghosts....

Wonder how many amulets the average Thai pilot has hanging on the cockpit panels and rear vision mirrors.

I guess after the first PR cluster xxxx concerning this incident, the Star Alliance PR team will currently be having an emergency meeting. I wonder how long Thai will remain in Star Alliance?

Edited by metisdead
Cleanout your keyboard and stop using disguised profanities.
  • Like 1

In 20 years I never met a Thai that doesn't believe in spirits and ghosts , I take it with a grain of salt and live with it , Like i did in the westernworld with the Bible and its unbelieveble story's that most of the westerners believed really happened .

What i find funny is the replies to it. How can you live in Thailand and be surprised at it. Also you will find superstition in a lot of Asian countries. People come here to live and never even bother to look at the Thai culture. From the moment they get of the plane they start to make a list of what is wrong with Thailand.

I wonder if this will go the way of the Down town Inn here in Chiang Mai? They had some monks in to chase the spirits away and then they tore the building down. You don't have to buy there culture but you don't have to put it down either. Also just because they don't carry it to extremes don't for a moment believe there is no superstition where you come from. The people in charge are doing every thing any other airline or airport would do plus the cleansing ceremonies.

One final note if it makes the news out side of Thailand it will be forgotten tomorrow. In spite of what people think the whole world does not rotate on events in Thailand.

I read threads like this and I wonder why people come here to Thailand. Maybe many of them are looking for people they can feel superior to.

I know what you mean, but what's surprising is that this incident is to do with the international side of Thailand - namely its international airport. And international passenger safety. It's not just an internal Thai issue.

A perhaps strange thing about superstitious and religious belief is that believers often instinctively know when it wouldn't be wise or appropriate to express their beliefs. For example, I doubt that when dealing on the world stage, Thailand's leading politicians talk on the record to politicians or the media from other countries about the influence of 'spirits'.

As a Brit, it makes me wonder when in history a national British newspaper last - if ever? - had a headline about 'God causes traffic accident' or 'God wants us to go to war with....'

• Like 1

It sounds bizarre, but as a Kiwi I'm used to this sort of spirit thing. The Maori in NZ dominate all aspects of life relating to their spirituality. If a new public building is built, the Maori must bless it and scare away the evil spirits. Recently a helicopter pilot got fined for hovering over a mountain and apparently causing massive cultural dramas because the mountain was sacred to the Maori. I could go on and on.

So whilst the Thai may sound a bit third worldly in regard to their respect/fear of the spirits, look at first world NZ where the native culture is all pervasive and the entire country has to kow-tow to their beliefs.

At least there doesn't seem to be any safety issues in NZ. Most western countries have religion as a part of their beliefs and those also include non nonsensical things that don't exist in a material form. The difference is if there's an accident it's left to technical experts to deal with. I can't see the Archbishop of Canterbury being called in to Heathrow to give his opinion.

My sister and her husband are visiting us in February next year. I think I'll email this to her to reassure her about safety in Thailand.

In 20 years I never met a Thai that doesn't believe in spirits and ghosts , I take it with a grain of salt and live with it , Like i did in the westernworld with the Bible and its unbelieveble story's that most of the westerners believed really happened .

How many do you think actually believe that the Bible stories are true. I can only speak for the UK but I think you'll find most don't and even years ago they were taken as not literal. In the UK you often hear "just put me down as C of E." basically that means I can't be bothered to think about it.

I'm sure if there was an accident and an official blamed spirits or the devil he'd find himself out of a job pretty quickly.

Right on Doc. Up here where I live in Esaan it's over the top but I love it. No hair cuts on Tuesday or Wednesday, bad luck. Can't start a new house in January, bad luck. Have to dig a hole where the house goes, put money and other special good luck items. Have to get the date from the local monk. Have to have the monks come to the house for the first three years three times to bless the house for good luck. Can't take the morning shower until fifteen minutes after breakfast, bad luck. Can only buy a new car or truck in certain months. If you get married God forbid, have to get the date from the local monk. Can only wear new clothes on Monday. Plant veggies on Wednesday. If you don't want rain today pull up lemon grass plants and put them in the ground upside down. Never give a towel as a gift. Very insulting as this indicates the recipient is dirty. Every banana tree has a female ghost. They consult the tree for a good lottery number. I have to admit I try to abide by the local customs but sometimes I'm a rebel without a cause, adventurous and throw all caution to the wind.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 2

What i find funny is the replies to it. How can you live in Thailand and be surprised at it. Also you will find superstition in a lot of Asian countries. People come here to live and never even bother to look at the Thai culture. From the moment they get of the plane they start to make a list of what is wrong with Thailand.

I wonder if this will go the way of the Down town Inn here in Chiang Mai? They had some monks in to chase the spirits away and then they tore the building down. You don't have to buy there culture but you don't have to put it down either. Also just because they don't carry it to extremes don't for a moment believe there is no superstition where you come from. The people in charge are doing every thing any other airline or airport would do plus the cleansing ceremonies.

One final note if it makes the news out side of Thailand it will be forgotten tomorrow. In spite of what people think the whole world does not rotate on events in Thailand.

I read threads like this and I wonder why people come here to Thailand. Maybe many of them are looking for people they can feel superior to.

Because this is a safety issue with a major (ok, maybe not so major anymore) airline. Thai Air is an international carrier, not some bodunk third world banana republic fly by night operation (even if at times, they act like it). If they want to hold some quazi religous ceremony fine, but do it in private out of the public spotlight and do not try to blame an international incident (yes international, as this was an international flight) on hocus pocus spirits.

Sometime I truely do not understand apologists such as yourself.

Right on Doc. Up here where I live in Esaan it's over the top but I love it. No hair cuts on Tuesday or Wednesday, bad luck. Can't start a new house in January, bad luck. Have to get the date from the local monk. Can't take the morning shower until fifteen minutes after breakfast, bad luck. Can only buy a new car or truck in certain months. I have to admit I try to abide by the local customs but sometimes I'm a rebel without a cause, adventurous and throw all caution to the wind.

My front gate is NOT where I wanted it. sad.png

We know that statements of fact and description of reality may (and have been) deemed to be disrespectful of Thailand and its culture. Such as:

1- Thais believe that Spirits can and rule life. Fact!

2- Thailand has systemic corruption: Fact!

3- Thailand has peculiar quirks about their understanding of maintenance: Fact!

4- Thailand has a dismal antiquated (19th century) railways record: 12 derailments in one month:

5- Fact! Motorcycles on the footpaths endangering the lives of pedestrians: Fact!

Oh! I guess some like to place the thumb in front of their eyes to block the sunlight of truth.wai.gif

EWopen posted

Hmmmm...let's see. So if there are a lot of transportation accidents occurring, instead of instituting

safety measures to protect tourists, time for a merit making ceremony to ward off evil spirits......

Not sure if this is funny or sad.

Sad because its just another way to dodge responsibility and actually do something substantive, like better maintenance, but no were goling to blame it on spirits and skate sad.png

An ignorant mischaracterization. Actions to satisfy some peoples' spiritual beliefs does not mean that anyone is trying to "skate."

Some people will use any excuse to Thai Bash. They are doing what is proper maintenance in addition to following their spiritual beliefs. These people know it but choose to ignore it and bash. I am surprised that there was not more concern over painting over the air line name. Of course that was not a spiritual belief. All Air lines have problems from time to time it is inevitable. Some more than others. Thai air is not one of the others. Maybe the others should try spiritual beliefs.LOL

• Like 1

How very convenient.

The corruption and ineptitude that plagues this country can be easily passed off onto "spirits" which is eagerly followed up on by the media.

The general populace dutifully swallows it up, nodding sagely over their dinners at news time but happily the soap is on after and they can watch hi so's mistreating women and underlings and all is forgotten.

How many centuries has been going on in Thailand? Any bad doings explained away with the briefest of excuses and outright lies, no matter how far fetched they are.

Luckily Thai kids are being taught to be free thinkers and not to be afraid to question the status quo eh? It's all going to change. Social media! Thai spring!