Recent Transport Disasters Blamed On Spirits

Lite Beer

Come , Thai- apologists! Where are you?

Such nice tradition and culture and if you don't like it: go home!

Aren't you dlad, you are not living in a nanny- state, where everything is regulated?

Be a little advetorous, huh?!coffee1.gif

Right on Doc. Up here where I live in Esaan it's over the top but I love it. No hair cuts on Tuesday or Wednesday, bad luck. Can't start a new house in January, bad luck. Have to dig a hole where the house goes, put money and other special good luck items. Have to get the date from the local monk. Have to have the monks come to the house for the first three years three times to bless the house for good luck. Can't take the morning shower until fifteen minutes after breakfast, bad luck. Can only buy a new car or truck in certain months. If you get married God forbid, have to get the date from the local monk. Can only wear new clothes on Monday. Plant veggies on Wednesday. If you don't want rain today pull up lemon grass plants and put them in the ground upside down. Never give a towel as a gift. Very insulting as this indicates the recipient is dirty. Every banana tree has a female ghost. They consult the tree for a good lottery number. I have to admit I try to abide by the local customs but sometimes I'm a rebel without a cause, adventurous and throw all caution to the wind.

All good and nice...mostly, because your HOUSE doesn't FLY with 200+ passengers on a cruising altitude of 20 km....I guess...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i find funny is the replies to it. How can you live in Thailand and be surprised at it. Also you will find superstition in a lot of Asian countries. People come here to live and never even bother to look at the Thai culture. From the moment they get of the plane they start to make a list of what is wrong with Thailand.

I wonder if this will go the way of the Down town Inn here in Chiang Mai? They had some monks in to chase the spirits away and then they tore the building down. You don't have to buy there culture but you don't have to put it down either. Also just because they don't carry it to extremes don't for a moment believe there is no superstition where you come from. The people in charge are doing every thing any other airline or airport would do plus the cleansing ceremonies.

One final note if it makes the news out side of Thailand it will be forgotten tomorrow. In spite of what people think the whole world does not rotate on events in Thailand.

I read threads like this and I wonder why people come here to Thailand. Maybe many of them are looking for people they can feel superior to.

Because this is a safety issue with a major (ok, maybe not so major anymore) airline. Thai Air is an international carrier, not some bodunk third world banana republic fly by night operation (even if at times, they act like it). If they want to hold some quazi religous ceremony fine, but do it in private out of the public spotlight and do not try to blame an international incident (yes international, as this was an international flight) on hocus pocus spirits.

Sometime I truely do not understand apologists such as yourself.

I make no apology for them. If spirituality is some thing to hide for you that is your rite. The fact is you are ignoring the truth they have been doing good maintenance. All airlines have accidents no matter how hard they try to avoid them. I see you as all Thai bashers do fail to mention that they are doing more than a spiritual thing. This is Thailand and they have there spiritual beliefs who the hell do you think you are to come strutting in and bash them for it. As long as they do the proper maintenance on the planes that is all you should concern yourself with.

You and the rest of the Thai Bashers flame away I have no problem with allowing others their own spiritual beliefs and not trying to push mine on them.

Just one of you Thai bashers try to explain to me if they believe it is evil spirits why are they doing maintenance?

• Like 1

EWopen posted

Hmmmm...let's see. So if there are a lot of transportation accidents occurring, instead of instituting

safety measures to protect tourists, time for a merit making ceremony to ward off evil spirits......

Not sure if this is funny or sad.

Sad because its just another way to dodge responsibility and actually do something substantive, like better maintenance, but no were goling to blame it on spirits and skate sad.png

An ignorant mischaracterization. Actions to satisfy some peoples' spiritual beliefs does not mean that anyone is trying to "skate."

Some people will use any excuse to Thai Bash. They are doing what is proper maintenance in addition to following their spiritual beliefs. These people know it but choose to ignore it and bash. I am surprised that there was not more concern over painting over the air line name. Of course that was not a spiritual belief. All Air lines have problems from time to time it is inevitable. Some more than others. Thai air is not one of the others. Maybe the others should try spiritual beliefs.LOL

Agree Dolly. All these years flying Thai only minor issues not enough to mention.

What Thailand surely needs is a huge - can be seen from space spirit house for the whole nation - maybe located on a mountain top with a funicular railway so that folk could visit and make offerings. Nearby could be a similar sized Nang Kwak with a Statue of Liberty sized hand to bring in money to the whole country and to keep these things in nice threes a huge world beating sized Buddha. I'm sure such a project would capture the nation's imagination and become a major tourist attraction in it's own right. What we need is a public spirited Thai-Chinese businessman like Khun Lek and his Meuang Boran project to start the ball rolling. I'm only half joking as well if such a thing existed I'm sure it would be a wonderful sight to behold and attract the crowds and money.

In relation to the airplane accident, some of you might be interested in the following news item: http://jansaviation.com/news.php?art=crash-landing-in-bangkok

Nothing about nose wheel failing.

Yes, that is interesting and completely contrary to everything Thai air has said. Sounds like a very rough landing. It says the right wing touched the runway, but did't say if that was before or after the right main tires blew. Also doesn't say anything about collapsed landing gear.

Can't believe a word Thais say.

No, no one with a brain will be interested in that story. Can't believe a word they say eh? Yet you both believe an article dated Sep 8 from Jansaviation.com.

cheesy.gif Laurel and Hardy go to Thailand.

What Thailand surely needs is a huge - can be seen from space spirit house for the whole nation - maybe located on a mountain top with a funicular railway so that folk could visit and make offerings. Nearby could be a similar sized Nang Kwak with a Statue of Liberty sized hand to bring in money to the whole country and to keep these things in nice threes a huge world beating sized Buddha. I'm sure such a project would capture the nation's imagination and become a major tourist attraction in it's own right. What we need is a public spirited Thai-Chinese businessman like Khun Lek and his Meuang Boran project to start the ball rolling. I'm only half joking as well if such a thing existed I'm sure it would be a wonderful sight to behold and attract the crowds and money.

Good plan. I see in a recent poll that people figured the Statue of Jesus in Brazil was one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. With your plan Thailand could have a triple attraction in the same place.

Being as the tallest mountain is in Chiang Mai they all ready have the infrastructure to handle the increase in Tourists. Maybe a few more vans for transportation.

I have no problem with this kind of report. As long as the people in charge of the regular aircraft maintenance keep taking their job seriously, monks are welcome to add their blessings to the whole picture. Thais are known for blessing and merit making all means of transportation - taxis, longtail boats, trains, trucks etc - so why not airplanes ? It is their culture, and it does not harm anyone.

However BLAMING ghosts for an accident is a different level. It should be noted that human mistakes and technical failures are closely connected when an accident occurs, and the Thai aircraft personnel should be trained accordingly - under a ghost & spirit free approach - otherwise I suggest the IATAA grounds all Thai Airways aircraft until the ghost or ghosts are found !

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 2

Not just the 'Third World' believes in this superstitious nonsesnse. Australians have just elected a Prime Minister who seriously believes in a giant, magic sky fairy. It's the 21st Century and still the majority of humans believe in gods, ghosts, devils, spirits, souls, witches, magic, miracles, angels.....etc etc

What i find funny is the replies to it. How can you live in Thailand and be surprised at it. Also you will find superstition in a lot of Asian countries. People come here to live and never even bother to look at the Thai culture. From the moment they get of the plane they start to make a list of what is wrong with Thailand.

I wonder if this will go the way of the Down town Inn here in Chiang Mai? They had some monks in to chase the spirits away and then they tore the building down. You don't have to buy there culture but you don't have to put it down either. Also just because they don't carry it to extremes don't for a moment believe there is no superstition where you come from. The people in charge are doing every thing any other airline or airport would do plus the cleansing ceremonies.

One final note if it makes the news out side of Thailand it will be forgotten tomorrow. In spite of what people think the whole world does not rotate on events in Thailand.

I read threads like this and I wonder why people come here to Thailand. Maybe many of them are looking for people they can feel superior to.

Because this is a safety issue with a major (ok, maybe not so major anymore) airline. Thai Air is an international carrier, not some bodunk third world banana republic fly by night operation (even if at times, they act like it). If they want to hold some quazi religous ceremony fine, but do it in private out of the public spotlight and do not try to blame an international incident (yes international, as this was an international flight) on hocus pocus spirits.

I make no apology for them. If spirituality is some thing to hide for you that is your rite. The fact is you are ignoring the truth they have been doing good maintenance. All airlines have accidents no matter how hard they try to avoid them. I see you as all Thai bashers do fail to mention that they are doing more than a spiritual thing. This is Thailand and they have there spiritual beliefs who the hell do you think you are to come strutting in and bash them for it. As long as they do the proper maintenance on the planes that is all you should concern yourself with.

You and the rest of the Thai Bashers flame away I have no problem with allowing others their own spiritual beliefs and not trying to push mine on them.

Just one of you Thai bashers try to explain to me if they believe it is evil spirits why are they doing maintenance?

Maybe that's the next step. Cut back on the maintenance and go for the Evil Spirit Appeasement Strategy big time.

In relation to the airplane accident, some of you might be interested in the following news item: http://jansaviation.com/news.php?art=crash-landing-in-bangkok

Nothing about nose wheel failing.

Yes, that is interesting and completely contrary to everything Thai air has said. Sounds like a very rough landing. It says the right wing touched the runway, but did't say if that was before or after the right main tires blew. Also doesn't say anything about collapsed landing gear.

Can't believe a word Thais say.

No, no one with a brain will be interested in that story. Can't believe a word they say eh? Yet you both believe an article dated Sep 8 from Jansaviation.com.

cheesy.gif Laurel and Hardy go to Thailand.

eh? Jansaviation is highly respected, unlike Thai Airlines

Maybe that's the next step. Cut back on the maintenance and go for the Evil Spirit Appeasement Strategy big time.

Careful with what you say there are a few on this thread who will believe that. I swear some of them would buy the Brooklyn Bridge if you offered it to them.

I don't think this comes as any sort of a shock to anyone who has spent more than a few continuous months in Thailand; it's par for the course. I doubt (hope?) the CEO doesn't actually believe this nonsense and is merely placating a national audience who are collectively looking to him to take all reasonable (to them) actions in order to prevent these kinds of accidents (and worse) in the future, based on their values and beliefs, which hopefully to the Thais includes actual technical corrections and improvements, but obviously and unfortunately also includes ghosts and other assorted superstitions.

• Like 1

The USA has sky marshals the Thais will have sky monks.cheesy.gif

On a serious note unless all you posters claim to be atheists you shouldn't make fun of Thai beliefs. Are Thai ghosts less real than the holy ghost god/allah? First world countries who have freedom of information and decent educational institutions are still full of people who believe in holy ghosts/invisible friend. The USA christians are just a crazy as the Middle East muslims only the world doesn't pay much attention to them because they don't blow people up regularly. It is hypocritical for posters who believe in gods to make fun of the Thais just because they advertise there beliefs. Why don't you make fun of the American president for publicly admitting his belief in holy ghosts. He is the most powerful man on the planet not some politically appointed CEO of a two bit airline.

On a serious note unless all you posters claim to be atheists you shouldn't make fun of Thai beliefs. Are Thai ghosts less real than the holy ghost god/allah? First world countries who have freedom of information and decent educational institutions are still full of people who believe in holy ghosts/invisible friend. The USA christians are just a crazy as the Middle East muslims only the world doesn't pay much attention to them because they don't blow people up regularly. It is hypocritical for posters who believe in gods to make fun of the Thais just because they advertise there beliefs. Why don't you make fun of the American president for publicly admitting his belief in holy ghosts. He is the most powerful man on the planet not some politically appointed CEO of a two bit airline.

Your correct but how many have come out publically and blamed an air craft incident on ghosts ?

As regards the most powerful man on the planet, currently....didn't realize Valadmir Putin believes in holy ghosts, thought he was atheist

• Like 1

On a serious note unless all you posters claim to be atheists you shouldn't make fun of Thai beliefs. Are Thai ghosts less real than the holy ghost god/allah?

(Snipped)

Why would you think everyone is making fun of the people's beliefs? My mother was deeply religious, but she still wore her seatbelt.

I don't think there is anything wrong with any of the ceremonies. I do, however, have a concern when it is used instead of due diligence with regard to safety.

• Like 1

What's so looney about this? Voodoo is absolutely real to those that believe in it. They have created their own collective poltergeist. I double dare any who live in BKK to go buy a Gumon Tong (Thai ghost baby) from an amulet merchant--then neglect it, refuse to offer it candy and milk, and otherwise abuse it. Let me know how your luck goes, and if it's good-- I may reconsider my entire belief system.

Pretty please.

Edited by KuhnPaen

I guess if the didn't do this placating the spirits ceremony they would lose a lot of Thais as customers. They wouldn't feel safe if it was not done.

How do the Chinese feel about it? Do they have different spirits to placate?

Are we as Farangs doomed if we don't also placate the spirits?

Come , Thai- apologists! Where are you?

Such nice tradition and culture and if you don't like it: go home!

Aren't you dlad, you are not living in a nanny- state, where everything is regulated?

Be a little advetorous, huh?!coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif>

Right on Doc. Up here where I live in Esaan it's over the top but I love it. No hair cuts on Tuesday or Wednesday, bad luck. Can't start a new house in January, bad luck. Have to dig a hole where the house goes, put money and other special good luck items. Have to get the date from the local monk. Have to have the monks come to the house for the first three years three times to bless the house for good luck. Can't take the morning shower until fifteen minutes after breakfast, bad luck. Can only buy a new car or truck in certain months. If you get married God forbid, have to get the date from the local monk. Can only wear new clothes on Monday. Plant veggies on Wednesday. If you don't want rain today pull up lemon grass plants and put them in the ground upside down. Never give a towel as a gift. Very insulting as this indicates the recipient is dirty. Every banana tree has a female ghost. They consult the tree for a good lottery number. I have to admit I try to abide by the local customs but sometimes I'm a rebel without a cause, adventurous and throw all caution to the wind.

To contribute to the list of good luck/bad luck Thai caveats, my Thai girlfriend reminds me that there is another important one:

Never, never put on a T-shirt or dress inside out because... the bad spirits will think you are dead and may come to claim your spirit and leave you spiritless while still alive.... Go figure.

• Like 1