Greek claims Thai girlfriend swindled him out of Phuket property, two million baht

Lite Beer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad state of affairs but be warned it is not just Thais I was ripped off by an English guy running a real estate business on Koh Phangan a few years ago the sad fact is he is still in business and doing okay for himself but that does not get me my 1.3 million baht back. he and his German business partner ( who has now left ) screwed me and the wife big time and we had known them for 3 years and trusted them as friends. I have come to realize that in Thailand every one needs money to survive and they will do what they have to to get it nationality or friendship does not come into it when someone gets desperate or greedy they will do anything Sadly I think this guy has lost three things what he thought he had a girlfriend, a house and 2 million baht. Life is to short I hope this guy can try and forget what has happened which I know will be very difficult and go forward by being positive I have to assume that his girlfriend was from a local bar he frequented and after 2/3 years got bored with him and ran off with all his belongings.

• Like 1

some of these critics are harsh. To live through life without ever trusting anyone is not my idea of a decent life. My Thai friend cheated me and my wife out of milions but the fact that he was a long time good friend hurt more than the loss of money. Everything is in my wifes name. If you can not trust your wife then you should not marry her . Unfortunately in Thailand it is the man's conciet that is the problem. He thinks he is so hansome or a desirable husband that his wife is marrying him for love and not his money. He should first look at his future wife and ask him self would a similar girl in his own country would marry him for love. He is too full of himself to admit that he could not find a young or desirable girl in his own country to marry him.

You see so many young girls married to old men here who obviously married them for thier money and many are anxiously waiting for them to die or perhaps are conspiring somehow to get rid of them.

ive said it before but Thais trust NO ONE so why should we? well maybe there is more trust in other cultures? Thailand appears to be a cesspool of dis trust.

• Like 1

This guy isn't a victim.

He is a former inmate and a violent, abusive and dangerous alcoholic.

This is the second incident from him in less than a week.

He needs to be taken into custody by the BIB before he hurts some one or kills himself...or both.

Earlier in the week he threw every bit of glass and crockery in his house, plates, cups, saucers, light fittings, out on to the street in front of his yard. This was in the evening around 8pm at night. This is a busy but small thoroughfare and both lanes were scattered with shards of broken glass and pottery. A dozen or so people had the tires on their cars and motorbikes shredded as a result of this lunatic and his acting out. He was hurling abuse and kitchenware at several young Thai girls that were commuting home from work on their scooters. To my utter amazement the police were called but did nothing because the Greek was out of his tree on booze and he had locked himself inside his yard behind the gate.

He claims to be broke and has no money for food. But have a look at the photos in the article...How come he has money for cigarettes and booze?

This loser needs to be locked up and then deported.

So did you personally witness this? How do you know that he is a former inmate? Did he tell you or just rumours? Is there the slightest possibility that the 2 incidents are related? I think I would have a hissy fit if this happened to me!

• Like 2

Booze, cigarettes and other stuff does nothing to help the analytical mind. The mind that weighs the pros and cons of

all before it. One day, like many of us, this man will have to ask the person standing in front of him what's going wrong.

If he is lucky enough to be directed there, he will be looking in a mirror.

• Like 2

Have a guy in our village (estate) who built a home and has a 30 yr lease on the land. He met a female of a certain illegal profession and she moved in with him. After a few months her family moved in and he was pushed out, threatened by her brother. The guy called the police to have them evicted to no avail and he was left on the street so to speak.

He took the matter to court which took over 12 months to resolve, could've of been resolved earlier if he agreed to pay them compensation, a few hundred thousand baht but he refused to compensate them for stealing his home. He eventually won his home back but lost a few electrical items and entertainment systems which were apparently removed from the home by spirits. He now lives alone and refuses to even have a live in maid.

Good to hear he got the scum out.

The fact of the matter is, foreigners are not allowed to buy land. If you think you are smart and try to work the system by using someone else's name or other means, then you don't have a leg to stand on when it hits the fan. Quite simple really unless its money you can afford to loose , don't do it.

• Like 2

This guy isn't a victim.

He needs to be taken into custody by the BIB before he hurts some one or kills himself...or both.

Earlier in the week he threw every bit of glass and crockery in his house, plates, cups, saucers, light fittings, out on to the street in front of his yard. This was in the evening around 8pm at night. This is a busy but small thoroughfare and both lanes were scattered with shards of broken glass and pottery. A dozen or so people had the tires on their cars and motorbikes shredded as a result of this lunatic and his acting out. He was hurling abuse and kitchenware at several young Thai girls that were commuting home from work on their scooters. To my utter amazement the police were called but did nothing because the Greek was out of his tree on booze and he had locked himself inside his yard behind the gate.

He claims to be broke and has no money for food. But have a look at the photos in the article...How come he has money for cigarettes and booze?

So because he did this he's not a victim??? How do you know what happen before this incident? I agree on that's it's not a smart thing to do what he did, but it seems like he lost it. Not all people reacts same way. wai2.gif

I wonder about the property....was it in his, or her name?

how do we find out?

Based upon the fact that an individual cannot own property in Thailand, and he clearly doesn't appear to be running a multi-million dollar company, then we know that the house would have to be in her name...!

Another thief in a land of thieves. What a surprise. Next.

Now if his Thai gf was an undercover agent for an EU tax collection agency, it would be snatch worth celebrating. However, what an idiot for not protecting his money. Did he give her access to his account? Was it really the only cash he had? It all sounds a bit shonky to me.

Nothwithstanding the distress Zeus here is undergoing, poor guy, if there was anyone swindling anyone I woul dhave though the Greek's would've come out in front. Alas no.

It would be great to think that there could be a simple administrative control put in place before a man enters into such an arrangement. It could be a 1 hour counselling, read-and-sign-here that you know what can happen to you etc.. Could save a lot of grief and negative chit-chat on this forum also.

• Like 1

“When I came back from my trip to the USA, I learned that the document of property ownership had been transferred. Moreover, about two million baht had gone missing from my bank account.

“Now I have no money to buy any food," he said.

How would two million baht " go away" from his bank account? I'd say he didn't read "Private dancer."

Time to go back to Greece to have some Ouzo, Germany will pay for his expenses. Or France?-

I am in a relationship and have a lot of money invested in my/our future with my wife here. I am in 100%. But that means protecting myself as well as my wife. I have a nut buried away that my 25 yr old son can access for me if all goes to hell. If it never does it's good. I don't mean it's a million dollars or anything but enough to make some rent someplace and move on in life. I hope I never have to use it. All that said, if she wants me out she'll have me out and I will just have to just eat it. I knew that when I started and I know that now as it will be tomorrow. It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Foreigners as we all know cannot own property in Thailand. What he could have done was to register a 30 yr. lease with the land office when they bought the home. This would have required her signature. this way he would have had a place to live.

He should have never given her his ATM card with all his money. Now he is out of luck, and I don't know about other Embassy's, but the American Embassy would have been of little help.

Barry

Rent house is better and give "partner" a joint ATM account with small baht in it, then things like this can not happen,

nuff said

Unfortunately there are a lot of really dumb guys out there.

I would never ever trust a Thai enough to put a house in their name unless it was something I could afford to lose. Giving her full access to his bank account is just dumb.

I personally know a guy who had a joint account with his Thai gf and told her it was only for on going living expenses. She waited till he left the country then cleaned out the account and bought herself a condo with the money.

Edited by lapd

I wonder what he's crying about! He most likely dont have time to spent here anymore.EU pressured Creeks to stop the custom were civil servants get extra 6 days vacation.They get because they have to use computers!

There is a chanse, if he was a hairdresser then he has plenty of time.Hairdresser in creece retire when 50!

how do we find out?

Based upon the fact that an individual cannot own property in Thailand, and he clearly doesn't appear to be running a multi-million dollar company, then we know that the house would have to be in her name...!

Last time I looked the maximum ownership rights available in Thailand were 65% of the floor space of a condo. It is amazing that people do not do their homework.

I gave the money for a house I sometimes live in to my gf to raise our daughter. No rights. No papers. The difference was I knew I would have no rights if it all went pear shaped. No malice but plenty of forethought.

I had other money and investments then.

My other investments went pear shaped.

We have since gotten over the fact I am a poor farang and living o/s at present. Embarrassing, but she has dealt with it. She seems to genuinely love me as does her father and at least 3 of her 9 sisters. Can't win em all.

Trust issues abound with this life choice in Thailand.

Its a great place for exercising the intuition.

Some people wade right in with no safety net. Others are more cautious.

It would be great to know how many successful stories there are.

I think the successes would outweigh the others.

In this little area of Isaan, most of the expats I know are quite successful, at least smart enough to do it right,

and frequently have great relationships as well. However we are talking about village or country life. There's no tourism

here and next to no "night" life. The people have less distractions.

Alcohol and other abuse is a major obstacle.

• Like 2

how do we find out?

Probably in her name but he thought it was in his. The Thai registration documents are all in Thai, including the owner's name so it could be anyone unless you know Thai. Probably at the time of registration, the gf told the registrar to put her name on for a few baht fee. My electricity was in the name of a long gone previous owner and I didn't find out until I sold the condo. In any case he couldn't own a house himself and doubt he had leased it.

This guy isn't a victim.

If this is the case then please pull the story as well as locking him up and deporting him.