Greek claims Thai girlfriend swindled him out of Phuket property, two million baht

Lite Beer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this is their country, but it ceases to amaze me how dependent they are on our money for the development of their economy. You would think that our respective embassies and governments would seek to establish some considerations in the way of protecting their respective citizens if they want to continue to trade with respective foreign countries. Thailand is more dependent on foreign countries than foreign countries are on them. I really pisses me off to see a man in this state or any foreigner for that matter.

• Like 1

I wonder about the property....was it in his, or her name?

how do we find out?

Based upon the fact that an individual cannot own property in Thailand, and he clearly doesn't appear to be running a multi-million dollar company, then we know that the house would have to be in her name...!

Last time I looked the maximum ownership rights available in Thailand were 65% of the floor space of a condo. It is amazing that people do not do their homework.

I gave the money for a house I sometimes live in to my gf to raise our daughter. No rights. No papers. The difference was I knew I would have no rights if it all went pear shaped. No malice but plenty of forethought.

I had other money and investments then.

My other investments went pear shaped.

We have since gotten over the fact I am a poor farang and living o/s at present. Embarrassing, but she has dealt with it. She seems to genuinely love me as does her father and at least 3 of her 9 sisters. Can't win em all.

Trust issues abound with this life choice in Thailand.

Its a great place for exercising the intuition.

Some people wade right in with no safety net. Others are more cautious.

It would be great to know how many successful stories there are.

I think the successes would outweigh the others.

In this little area of Isaan, most of the expats I know are quite successful, at least smart enough to do it right,

and frequently have great relationships as well. However we are talking about village or country life. There's no tourism

here and next to no "night" life. The people have less distractions.

Alcohol and other abuse is a major obstacle.

Simple question. If all these farangs are so 'successful' what are they doing living in Issan?

The story implies a house not a condo. I think most people are aware of the rules about condos.

Edited by lapd

*feel sorry for those this happens to. again, this kind of experience should be printed on a pamphlet and issued together with air tickets in country of origin, with a footnote in bold reading, and no, 'yours will not be different'. does the same think happen to our fellow expats in other s/e asian countries? be interesting to hear any unbiased views from people with experience in other countries in the region.

I feel sorry for the Greek guy, but then again sh*t like this happens all the time. If you're a farang, either buy a condo in your name, or only buy a home with a Thai partner if you can afford to lose your property! I'll never understand why farangs pay for a house when it's not in their name. If it's not in your name, you don't own it! (Obvious, yes, but think about it.......)

This guy isn't a victim.

He is a former inmate and a violent, abusive and dangerous alcoholic.

This is the second incident from him in less than a week.

He needs to be taken into custody by the BIB before he hurts some one or kills himself...or both.

Earlier in the week he threw every bit of glass and crockery in his house, plates, cups, saucers, light fittings, out on to the street in front of his yard. This was in the evening around 8pm at night. This is a busy but small thoroughfare and both lanes were scattered with shards of broken glass and pottery. A dozen or so people had the tires on their cars and motorbikes shredded as a result of this lunatic and his acting out. He was hurling abuse and kitchenware at several young Thai girls that were commuting home from work on their scooters. To my utter amazement the police were called but did nothing because the Greek was out of his tree on booze and he had locked himself inside his yard behind the gate.

He claims to be broke and has no money for food. But have a look at the photos in the article...How come he has money for cigarettes and booze?

This loser needs to be locked up and then deported.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

how do we find out?

Based upon the fact that an individual cannot own property in Thailand, and he clearly doesn't appear to be running a multi-million dollar company, then we know that the house would have to be in her name...!

Wrong,land and house,two different animals.Off the top of my head,what about transportable homes,to be moved by truck if necessary.

Rent house is better and give "partner" a joint ATM account with small baht in it, then things like this can not happen,

nuff said

Unfortunately there are a lot of really dumb guys out there.

I would never ever trust a Thai enough to put a house in their name unless it was something I could afford to lose. Giving her full access to his bank account is just dumb.

I personally know a guy who had a joint account with his Thai gf and told her it was only for on going living expenses. She waited till he left the country then cleaned out the account and bought herself a condo with the money.

Not even joint accounts.3rd party acc. with same bank,transfer as needed.

This happens every day here, but only a few victims like this fool is stupid enough to tell anybody, especially BIB who don't care about falangs being scammed in Thailand, they probably celebrating with the Greek's ex girlfriend right now coffee1.gif

how do we find out?

Wrong,land and house,two different animals.Off the top of my head,what about transportable homes,to be moved by truck if necessary.

...I gather he neither owned the house, nor was it transportable, as he would not feel the need to throw a tantrum. Interesting that many people criticize this man as being dull witted because he bought a home he cannot keep, as you can just as easily be divorced by a woman in the western world, and the courts will often grant the wife(and children) ownership of the house. The sad reality is that many men just feel obliged to buy property in a place where they probably never get any rights whatsoever. If it made him feel any better, he might want to know how many times the house was mortgaged without his knowledge.

• Like 1

I don't care if the guy was a former prison inmate. That isn't the point. If he was a nutter then the girl could just leave. But she took all his money etc. She is the bad one in all this, not him.

I realize this is their country, but it ceases to amaze me how dependent they are on our money for the development of their economy. You would think that our respective embassies and governments would seek to establish some considerations in the way of protecting their respective citizens if they want to continue to trade with respective foreign countries. Thailand is more dependent on foreign countries than foreign countries are on them. I really pisses me off to see a man in this state or any foreigner for that matter.

I come from a so called rich country and we borrow from overseas.How much do you rekon the mighty USA borrow from China.Thailand may borrow money from overseas but they certainly are not dependent on it.They probably borrow from the same place as the Yanks.Thailand learnt their lesson 16 years ago.

How many times have we all heard a similar story. Hard to know whether to feel sorry for the guy or call him a fool ....

I have been told by many people I waste my money on renting. I have never bought a house/Condo, car or motorbike. And I have never had a girlfriend/wife take it from me. This is an old story and has been going on for the 26 years that I have lived here.

• Like 1

how do we find out?

Last time I looked the maximum ownership rights available in Thailand were 65% of the floor space of a condo. It is amazing that people do not do their homework.

I gave the money for a house I sometimes live in to my gf to raise our daughter. No rights. No papers. The difference was I knew I would have no rights if it all went pear shaped. No malice but plenty of forethought.

I had other money and investments then.

My other investments went pear shaped.

We have since gotten over the fact I am a poor farang and living o/s at present. Embarrassing, but she has dealt with it. She seems to genuinely love me as does her father and at least 3 of her 9 sisters. Can't win em all.

Trust issues abound with this life choice in Thailand.

Its a great place for exercising the intuition.

Some people wade right in with no safety net. Others are more cautious.

It would be great to know how many successful stories there are.

I think the successes would outweigh the others.

In this little area of Isaan, most of the expats I know are quite successful, at least smart enough to do it right,

and frequently have great relationships as well. However we are talking about village or country life. There's no tourism

here and next to no "night" life. The people have less distractions.

Alcohol and other abuse is a major obstacle.

Simple question. If all these farangs are so 'successful' what are they doing living in Issan?

The story implies a house not a condo. I think most people are aware of the rules about condos.

You seem sadly deluded about Issan.I am well off and Phuket would one of the last places i would want to live.