Greek claims Thai girlfriend swindled him out of Phuket property, two million baht

Lite Beer

Also,lets not forget, a lot of blokes come here after being demolished by ex wives in divorce settlements, they bring what little they have left and invest it in what they believe to be a new love, a new life,eyes still closed by prior events and eye candy everywhere, blowing away any sense of logic,it s always easy to say, well this will never happen to me, BUT!

• Like 1

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears he is known to neighbors and the police as a violent drunk. I wonder how much

abuse the Thai wife took over the last three or four years ????. If this is true, and He is one

of those "Know it all" drunks, who abuses his family, than good for the wife!!!!! She probably

has an 8th grade education and got it all over on this Jerk....Enjoy your live on the street !!!!!!

Also,lets not forget, a lot of blokes come here after being demolished by ex wives in divorce settlements, they bring what little they have left and invest it in what they believe to be a new love, a new life,eyes still closed by prior events and eye candy everywhere, blowing away any sense of logic,it s always easy to say, well this will never happen to me, BUT!

Couldn't agree more Mr. Dudu biggrin.png

So many experts here with there 'it would never happen to me' <deleted> and 'serves him right' are probably just hiding some home truths and stroking their egos!

Let's face it, most of us learn the hard way, whether it's just a few baht or millions of baht. I have never been conned by the Mrs. but have I been conned by a Thai? Hell yeah!

That said, personally I think he could have a been a little more careful.

• Like 1

I can only imagine there will be many side to this story before the thread dies a natural death.

I don't worry about what would happen if my wife decided to dump me and take everything I own. I reckon if I pissed her off enough to do that she would probably kill me first. biggrin.png

• Like 1

This guy isn't a victim.

He is a former inmate and a violent, abusive and dangerous alcoholic.

This is the second incident from him in less than a week.

He needs to be taken into custody by the BIB before he hurts some one or kills himself...or both.

Earlier in the week he threw every bit of glass and crockery in his house, plates, cups, saucers, light fittings, out on to the street in front of his yard. This was in the evening around 8pm at night. This is a busy but small thoroughfare and both lanes were scattered with shards of broken glass and pottery. A dozen or so people had the tires on their cars and motorbikes shredded as a result of this lunatic and his acting out. He was hurling abuse and kitchenware at several young Thai girls that were commuting home from work on their scooters. To my utter amazement the police were called but did nothing because the Greek was out of his tree on booze and he had locked himself inside his yard behind the gate.

He claims to be broke and has no money for food. But have a look at the photos in the article...How come he has money for cigarettes and booze?

This loser needs to be locked up and then deported.

"He is a former inmate and a violent, abusive and dangerous alcoholic." How do you expect to make a statement like that and expect it to be taken as truth? You leave it there without any references to prove that it is not pure whim on your part? I am certainly willing to believe that there is much more to the story. Also cannot imagine someone with credit resources for a trip to the States can hit the skids so quickly. But I do not know how much of your account about the guy to believe when you clearly are so inclined to embellish: Tires shredded by random bits of glass and crockery? Crockery- never. And glass maybe if a tire was manufactured fifty years ago. Not punctured mind you but "schredded?" A dozen schredded tires? B.S. Generally your detaied description of the guy's actions is such that it could only be credible if you were an actual witness inside the house. At the end of the day the whole thing is not a big deal to me but I get annoyed when someone in a position to provide reliable information eclipses it with effete melodrama.

Edited by techboy
  • Like 2

I personally know of 5 cases where a judge has ordered the house sold and the proceeds given to the foreigner

This is very good information to know but can you separate yourself from the barstools and list where to find these multiple documented cases?

ummm... I know 5 cases of people winning a million in the lottery, but actually none of the people I know that bought houses for their gals got their money back. Especially when somebody else (a lender) is holding the paper. But, if thinking you will have your day in court and win everything back when things go wrong helps you sleep better, thats fine. If the money to purchase was foolishly paid in cash, then get yourself a lawyer. Piece o cake. Right? When the liquidation happens, subtract tax, lawyer, legal fees, depreciation etc. Probably comes up to a down payment, for those who decided to play it safe and finance the property with a bank.

Another thief in a land of thieves. What a surprise. Next.

Anyone who talks like you clearly came here for a living situation without knowledge of the country. Also as evident is that you are poorly traveled and never have lived outside your own country until moving here.

Oh, you know me so well, not lol

My knowledge of the country prior to coming here, and the knowledge and experiences gained here in the past 8 years would lead me to think I know the country and its people pretty well.

And how the hell do you get "poorly travelled" and "never lived outside your own country" from what I wrote? Oh wait, you ASSUMED, and you know what they say about that ...

You could have added to "a land of thieves" with....................thieves, and arrogant, obnoxious, cold-hearted, racist foreigners who could improve this country to no end just by leaving it. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I can only imagine there will be many side to this story before the thread dies a natural death.

I don't worry about what would happen if my wife decided to dump me and take everything I own. I reckon if I pissed her off enough to do that she would probably kill me first. biggrin.png

cheesy.gif Know what you mean there.

Would be a result if my Mrs took everything and buggered off but it aint gonna happen! sad.png

Love 'er reallybiggrin.png

If you are a Greek these days you just can't win.

Stay in your own country and your wages are slashed, your pension decimated and your future hocked to international bankers and vulture capitalists.

Escape to the Land of Smiles and the local low life steals your home and money.

Coming to a country near you soon. . .

• Like 1

Unfortunately in Thailand it is the man's conciet that is the problem. He thinks he is so hansome or a desirable husband that his wife is marrying him for love and not his money. He should first look at his future wife and ask him self would a similar girl in his own country would marry him for love. He is too full of himself to admit that he could not find a young or desirable girl in his own country to marry him.

You see so many young girls married to old men here who obviously married them for thier money and many are anxiously waiting for them to die or perhaps are conspiring somehow to get rid of them.

Hmm, they stated she was 50 years old and he was 56, so I guess all these comments are null. Maybe the available girls want older men since they are settled down and likely not butterflys. Plus they are usually financially more secure, something ALL woman want. Do you think they prefer homeless, jobless young guys who stick their dick in anything that moves? A girl that just date a man for his looks is just as bad as one that does it for money. They are both shallow and always looking for the BBD (bigger better deal.)

Give me a break.

• Like 1

Remember their have been multiple documented cases of foreigners suing their ex wifes and winning to get the money he paid for house back in his bank account. Problem with this forum is that no one checks Thai law, which clearly states that the person that paid for the house, is the one who has the right to it, of the proceeds of its sale.

I personally know of 5 cases where a judge has ordered the house sold and the proceeds given to the foreigner who paid for it. Even in one case, the judge clawing back the assets of the ex wife to pay the foreigner. Actually in all law schools in Thailand, there is a documented test case that all lawyers must study that shows how the person who purchases the property (a Thai female owner and a male foreigner buyer in the case) is not necessarily the sole owner of the said property, if that person did not pay with their money. This is regardless of you signing a document that says it was not your money on the day of land purchase. Banking documents prove otherwise!

You would have no idea how pissed off the Thai wife becomes when the court orders her to sell her house and give all the money back to the ex husband!

Don't believe all the BS coming from barstools!

Interesting, and kind of makes you wonder why they do not just allow foreign ownership.

How many times have we all heard a similar story. Hard to know whether to feel sorry for the guy or call him a fool ....

Didn't we just hear this same story in the article about the hundreds of homeless farangs now littering the streets of Thailand major tourist destinations? Hummmm.

I wonder about the property....was it in his, or her name?

how do we find out?

Based upon the fact that an individual cannot own property in Thailand, and he clearly doesn't appear to be running a multi-million dollar company, then we know that the house would have to be in her name...!

Wrong,land and house,two different animals.Off the top of my head,what about transportable homes,to be moved by truck if necessary.

...I gather he neither owned the house, nor was it transportable, as he would not feel the need to throw a tantrum. Interesting that many people criticize this man as being dull witted because he bought a home he cannot keep, as you can just as easily be divorced by a woman in the western world, and the courts will often grant the wife(and children) ownership of the house. The sad reality is that many men just feel obliged to buy property in a place where they probably never get any rights whatsoever. If it made him feel any better, he might want to know how many times the house was mortgaged without his knowledge.

Usufruct contract...amen.

some of these critics are harsh. To live through life without ever trusting anyone is not my idea of a decent life. My Thai friend cheated me and my wife out of milions but the fact that he was a long time good friend hurt more than the loss of money. Everything is in my wifes name. If you can not trust your wife then you should not marry her . Unfortunately in Thailand it is the man's conciet that is the problem. He thinks he is so hansome or a desirable husband that his wife is marrying him for love and not his money. He should first look at his future wife and ask him self would a similar girl in his own country would marry him for love. He is too full of himself to admit that he could not find a young or desirable girl in his own country to marry him.

You see so many young girls married to old men here who obviously married them for thier money and many are anxiously waiting for them to die or perhaps are conspiring somehow to get rid of them.

That is sad about your long time friend cheating you. Life really does not play fair sometimes, I do not know about the people involved in the story posted but they are of a similar age and on the surface does not perhaps look like a bargirl story.

It is a bit pathetic that people post crap about something without any info. I hope the prick of a friend who cheated you gets what they deserve.

And if they were not ale to get away with these acts of thievery, perhaps they would think twice. Go after this once good friend with a vengeance, that would be envied by Zeus. Call all his friends, family, parents, business associates, and anyone in his circle. Make them aware of his acts of crime. Embarrass him to no end. Blacken his name. Blacken his reputation. Blacken his already black soul. Contact his employer. Show up at his house, making demands of compensation. The problem is, if you let these things go, nothing ever gets done. If you make an incredible nuisance of yourself something might develop, and he may decide he needs to make you Whole. Just maybe. Worth a try. No, I do not want to hear the warnings. Warnings are for cowards with alot of cash they are willing to walk away from. I would have made this guys life such a living hell, and never stopped, if there was enough money at stake. His life would have been a mere shadow of its former existence when I got done with him. Believe me, I have done it before, and it worked!

some of these critics are harsh. To live through life without ever trusting anyone is not my idea of a decent life. My Thai friend cheated me and my wife out of milions but the fact that he was a long time good friend hurt more than the loss of money. Everything is in my wifes name. If you can not trust your wife then you should not marry her . Unfortunately in Thailand it is the man's conciet that is the problem. He thinks he is so hansome or a desirable husband that his wife is marrying him for love and not his money. He should first look at his future wife and ask him self would a similar girl in his own country would marry him for love. He is too full of himself to admit that he could not find a young or desirable girl in his own country to marry him.

Previous dialogue is not harsh for this era & of this evolving growth/western reconstruct within Thailand. Man also is not conceit, i.e. the one spoken of or those who follow, but ignorant given the vast media sources to research. On another insert, Thailand is not the majority of old men upon young women, just balant in the media. The majority now (outside media crosshairs) mostly tourists & backpackers (both men & women, yes Women!) range from 18 to 40, but average well below 30. The minority exists as always within every country, but more so via media of whichever source of Asia or it's Southeast...

...so blind the West.

I get the impression that some folk on here read these sort of stories with glee.

The guy was maybe naive or too trusting i dont know bit from a compassion point of view you do yourself no favours by ridiculing him.

As for the comments about him smoking and not being handsome i find them a bit embarrassing to be honest.

"I find it amazing that a man will buy a woman a house in a foreign country. Would you buy a house for a woman in your home country after such a short period of time? Or a long period of time for that matter. "

No, and none of us would because she could buy it herself and life is equal. Here the dependency and disproportion in wealth means the Falang will pay (obviously). That's our choice if we want to buy a house, but here we cannot own it (the land) and so that is the reason why so many of us fall for this rip off by Thai ladies. If we buy we must put it in a company name (technically illegal) or give it to the Thai wife/girlfriend.

In effect this is a Government sponsored scam. How can it be called anything different when most people's single biggest financial outlay is placed directly in a poorer spouses legal ownership and a temptation just too great for many.

I call it a Government approved and sponsored temptation to transfer ownership from foreigner to Thai.

If they wanted to make things fair there are other options like a few zoned tourist areas where foreigners could own houses in their own name up to a maximum size etc. Having the only legal option as paying the money with ownership to a Thai, is just asking for the temptation to steal and that is why it happens so often.

The Thai's don't mind. The Thai Gov't doesn't mind. Not really, it's a transfer of wealth scheme and just depends, for those willing to do it, if they want to play the long game or the short game or just see how it goes.

Heck, if I had the same situation reversed to set me up for life and all I had to do was take the money and run, I may be tempted too. The Thai Government should be called out on this "Scam to Tempt" to find a better and fairer way to run the real estate ground rules of this country.

Edited by twix38
  • Like 1

come on folks, give this poor soul a break.

On this other thread, we have long term TV members, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667248-is-it-safe-for-a-foreigner-to-marry-a-thai/page-8

who shout how much they do trust their lovely wife, how much the wifey is honest, and so they have put all their saving in her name.

And now the some TV member come, and shout how much this guy was dumb to trust his wife for 4 years! blink.png

First....There is always more to the story then what is printed. It is very easy to make a judgement on limited information. It is also easy to say .....no my girlfriend or wife is a good girl who would never do that........LOL.......The reality is that this is not our country and based on corruption and 'the rules changing' that to have or 'invest' all of your net worth is very questionable to do. The truth is if I was a Thai girl I would do the same thing and take all I could get. Why not??? Most relationships even by Vegas standards ( getting married is a 50/50 shot whether it works out) will fail. Then what?? As a Thai girl who has invested time and energy into a relationship, what does she end up with?? Walk in her shoes before a judgement is made and get all the facts.