Greek claims Thai girlfriend swindled him out of Phuket property, two million baht

Lite Beer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally know of 5 cases where a judge has ordered the house sold and the proceeds given to the foreigner who paid for it. Even in one case, the judge clawing back the assets of the ex wife to pay the foreigner. Actually in all law schools in Thailand, there is a documented test case that all lawyers must study that shows how the person who purchases the property (a Thai female owner and a male foreigner buyer in the case) is not necessarily the sole owner of the said property, if that person did not pay with their money. This is regardless of you signing a document that says it was not your money on the day of land purchase. Banking documents prove otherwise!

So if you sign a legal document certifying that it wasn't your money that purchased the land, but then you come back later and say that you lied on said legal document and it was your money, the court will accept that? That makes a lot of sense.

I get the impression that some folk on here read these sort of stories with glee.

The guy was maybe naive or too trusting i dont know bit from a compassion point of view you do yourself no favours by ridiculing him.

As for the comments about him smoking and not being handsome i find them a bit embarrassing to be honest.

I never view these stories as entertainment or with delight, but with great sadness in fact, although it doesn’t mean that I have a lot of sympathy for these guys.

These women are taking advantage of the naive, the lonely, the desperate, the vulnerable, the gullible and perhaps some may describe these men as the less intelligent, who are blinded by their hopes and dreams and deny to themselves the reality of the situation until it comes along and smacks them in the face.

These women are in fact scammers but on a grand scale.

If anyone reading this thread is in a similar situation at the moment or considering becoming deeply involved with Thai women, especially if you are an older guy, than you do so at your own risk and discretion.

Remember the golden rules:

If a woman truly loves you, she will go anywhere with you and money will be a low priority on her list.

Avoid if most of her problems can only be sorted with money.

The case of this Greek man is not the first of it`s kind and will not be the last, or in other words, there is one born every minute.

• Like 1

Another thief in a land of thieves. What a surprise. Next.

My ex-wife, known on this board as 'Ami', swindled me out of more than 2 million baht. She was a 'hi'so'' prostitute who played the long game. House for mother, business for father, money in the bank plus a load of brand name trash.

I wouldn't trust any of these girls in Thailand - or the blokes - if my life depended on it. This country is full of crooks. If you are seeing a 'hi-so' girl in Chiang Mai, aged 31, civil engineering degree, good chinese and english - beware. She's after your wallet.

• Like 1

some of these critics are harsh. To live through life without ever trusting anyone is not my idea of a decent life. My Thai friend cheated me and my wife out of milions but the fact that he was a long time good friend hurt more than the loss of money. Everything is in my wifes name. If you can not trust your wife then you should not marry her . Unfortunately in Thailand it is the man's conciet that is the problem. He thinks he is so hansome or a desirable husband that his wife is marrying him for love and not his money. He should first look at his future wife and ask him self would a similar girl in his own country would marry him for love. He is too full of himself to admit that he could not find a young or desirable girl in his own country to marry him.

You see so many young girls married to old men here who obviously married them for thier money and many are anxiously waiting for them to die or perhaps are conspiring somehow to get rid of them.

I do not think there is any middle aged, balding, maybe fat farang who believes that the lady marries him for his looks. Most probably she will marry him in order to escape poverty. Also, if the guy is pleasant, loving and he is relatively generous to her parents, then, why not , she will feel affection for him. She will never have lustful thoughts about his body ,.of course, but she will accept his embraces not in a totally negative frame of mind. If the girl is not a total loss, meaning she had not been abused as a child and grew in a relatively loving family then the chances for a successful marriage might be there and the whole thing might succeed. Again she, like any woman on the planet dreams of a prince on a white horse(or elephant, ha,ha) For the woman to respect a man he must match her needs in bed and be decent towards her. If this happens the chances of a vengeful and fraudulent behavior are less, I think.

• Like 1

If he wants his embassy to help him because that's what he said then why not go to the embassy instead of sitting on the road? That won't help much.

But anyway, these stealing ass thai girlfriends are such cuties when they think they can do such things. I would bring the whole corrupt system down on them if I was played by one of them. Only out of respect because I am in their country so I need to follow their rules.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

Maybe he had a lease and it was cancelled and then she sold the house - it only needs a copy passport and a forged Power of Attorney which nobody bothers to verify.

Maybe she used the method above to take his money out of his account.

Of course maybe not but the fact that it is that easy to steal property and money here seems to evade the conscious thoughts of most posters here.

I know because it happened to me!

I would be more distressed, because my partner was 50 years old!

After 7 years together, I spent almost 3 million baht to build my girl a new house, I guess that I am really screwed, because now I will have to live in said house for the rest of my life!

Land of thieves? Typical TV butthurt poster without brain. Why the hell do you even live here if things you know are only bad ones,judging all country? bah tv posters make me sick. It's his fault if he don't know with what kind of girl he's marrying to.It so funny when some foreigners marry with prostitute and than complain everything it's about money and they stole their money,well she ain't in this business for fun. Some foreigners are missing half brain

Edited by GotR1GHT
  • Like 2

Alas land cannot be in the poor foreigner,s name, even though any thai is free to buy land in Greece or wherever. He should have used a reputable lawyer (they do exist here despite claims to the contrary) so that he could have excercised complete control over the property for at least 30 years, I do not see a happy ending to this saga sad.png

I wonder about the property....was it in his, or her name?

how do we find out?

Ignore my following advice at your peril:

To legally cover your ass in Thailand against being scammed or from the charms of false pretences of these women where the guy is considering investing money into it:

Hire the services of a reputable Thai lawyer, make a legal agreement that any monies plied into land or property, vehicles and so on, on the woman’s behalf, is a non interest loan, to be paid back if the relationship fails for any reason or reasons.

Never part with your hard earned dosh or life savings solely on trust and on a hope and a prayer that things will work out.

Got it? If not, you should.

Land of thieves? Typical TV butthurt poster without brain. Why the hell do you even live here if things you know are only bad ones,judging all country? bah tv posters make me sick. It's his fault if he don't know with what kind of girl he's marrying to.It so funny when some foreigners marry with prostitute and than complain everything it's about money and they stole their money,well she ain't in this business for fun. Some foreigners are missing half brain

Great posting. You complain about what I write, then continue on and more or less agree with what I stated. Classic.

I do agree however (and as I've said many times before) that foreigners leave their brains and common sense at the arrivals gate.

How long have you lived here by the way?

How many times have we all heard a similar story. Hard to know whether to feel sorry for the guy or call him a fool ....

... and thing is that it is not gonna stop. More stories like this will happen and happen again. Not worth to lose your brain listening only to your heart for a thai woman, especially if you met her in phuket. Not worth it at all.

Great posting. You complain about what I write, then continue on and more or less agree with what I stated. Classic.

I do agree however (and as I've said many times before) that foreigners leave their brains and common sense at the arrivals gate.

Total and utter rubbish and BTW, I have lived here for over 30 years and the knowledge I have probably forgotten is more than you already know.

Anyne who has money and is gullible can be scammed and cheated anywhere in the world. Ever heard the old saying; A fool and his money is easily parted? This pertains not only in South East Asia.

An Uncle back in the States was scammed out of $300000 by his so-called business partner in 1973, with a gentlemens agreement, which was a lot of money in those days. and you may not believe this, but his lady business partner was not Thai.

i have had male friends in the West literally taken to the cleaners and left distitute on the streets by their wives or girlfriends and again, these were not Thais.

And BTW, how long have you been here? Or perhaps you don`t live in Thailand at all?

• Like 1

It doesn't matter for how long i live here. And how does my post even agrees with what you said? i just said it's so funny when people generalize just because they hear something and immediately assume it's everywhere like this. I said it's guys fault also that he didn't know with what kind of girl he's marrying.Your saying land of thieves clearly state that thai is land of thieves. Judging dozens of people and assuming 70 millions are same.Bravo.

• Like 2

Has Mr.Vardas ever heard of a well-known phenomenon called "get yourself a lawyer to cover your assets? I'll bet $1000. US, that Vardas was told, by @ least three different Greek nationals, the do's and don'ts of expat living in Thailand. Typically having to learn everything "the hard way", guaranteed, Mr.Vargas deluded "himself" into believing that his Thai (bargirl) wife, was "different" from all the others.

My advice! Mr.Vargas, go to the Greek Embassy in Bangkok, then apply for citizen repatriation to Greece.

Vargas deserves no sympathy! His story has been recounted on a thousand different occasions. Even the Embassies will advise their citizens of the pitfall realities of Thai expat life. Again, I'll bet $1000. that Mr.Vargas was told to consult with a attorney first, before spending his money. Even the stupidest foreigner knows to get a 30-year lease (contract with Thai girlfriend) on the house & property first! No wonder the Thai people believe we "farangs are stupid. Too many Vargas's here! Read the expat bible book "Money Number One", by Aloysius Bartholemew Thistlewaite. Then STOP letting your penis do you thinking for you. CAPICHE?

A few facts that may save a guy a fortune and a lot of emotional trauma.

Cute girl sends out signals to a guy that she likes him.

After spending a passionate evening with her and a night of lovey-doveyness
with and perhaps the best sex the guy has had for years, he becomes smitten and can hardly believe his luck.

He holds her hand and listens intently to her pitiful hard luck stories and then wants to be her knight in shining armour, to the rescue, at any price, dreaming that at last he has discovered a true soul mate and love of his life, believing in a dream the guy decides to invest in her for a good future.

This is how it begins and of course in many cases the result will turn out completely different to the guy’s expectations.

Three major clues that will determine if the girl is not sincere and giving a guy a load of BS:

1. Most of her problems can only be solved with money.
2. The girl is not willing to give up any of her usual social schedules to be with the guy.
3. Appears to have many relatives, friends, acquaintances or colleges that she prefers to keep to herself and separate from her so-called relationship with the guy.

It`s very simple. If a girl really likes or loves a guy, she will unconditionally follow him anywhere with no strings or provisos attached.

Her main ambition in life will become solely to be with her man without any financial stipulations and social limitations. She should in fact be proud and keen to show off her new boyfriend and let everyone know that he and she is now an item.

If this is not the case, then dream on baby, because it`s going to cost you dear and you are wasting your time.

Now, would I lie to you?

I find it amazing that a man will buy a woman a house in a foreign country. Would you buy a house for a woman in your home country after such a short period of time? Or a long period of time for that matter.

"In your home country" one can buy a house in LOS cannot, so a little less "amazing" smile.png

• Like 1

Ignore my following advice at your peril:

To legally cover your ass in Thailand against being scammed or from the charms of false pretences of these women where the guy is considering investing money into it:

Hire the services of a reputable Thai lawyer, make a legal agreement that any monies plied into land or property, vehicles and so on, on the woman’s behalf, is a non interest loan, to be paid back if the relationship fails for any reason or reasons.

Never part with your hard earned dosh or life savings solely on trust and on a hope and a prayer that things will work out.

Got it? If not, you should.

I've heard in recent times, a method that is becoming more popular to "cover your ass" is the Thai wife/gf obtains a bank loan for the property, with the foreigner going guarantor on the loan. Of course, he is the one actually paying for the loan. If she leaves, he stops paying. I'm just a little unsure what exposure the foreigner has to the bank in the case of her default. Maybe another member can comment on a bank loan default/foreclosure effect on a guarantor.

Another variation to this I have heard of is, the foreigner "employs" his Thai wife/gf as a cook or cleaner etc for X amount of baht per month. She can show this as a regular and legitimate, long term income to the bank. Of course, she is paid well over the average wage for such labour. She then gets a bank loan for the property. If she leaves - you stop paying for her "employment" and the bank takes her/your house.

I don't think the above would suit everyone. They have their advantages, and disadvantages.

They are just other ways foreigners are trying to add some security to "owning" land here, especially if in a relationship with a Thai women.

If anyone is going to get married or be in a long term relationship with a woman in Thailand, you have to realize the risks of accruing any assets that are not or cannot be in your name. It's either that or have some form of prenuptial agreement, is such instruments are legal in Thailand. Relationships are a risk in any country. And the axiom - 'Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned' can be applied universally. Unfortunately, many men get involved with women in Thailand that have questionable scruples from the outset. That is foolish no doubt.

But I think most of us have made our share of mistakes. I certainly have. Luckily, they weren't situations left me destitute and sipping coffee and shouting gibberish in the middle of the street. But, when I see pictures of a man like this or someone less fortunate than I, I always remember what my mother used to say 'There but for the grace of God, go I'.

My ex-wife, known on this board as 'Ami', swindled me out of more than 2 million baht. She was a 'hi'so'' prostitute who played the long game. House for mother, business for father, money in the bank plus a load of brand name trash.

I wouldn't trust any of these girls in Thailand - or the blokes - if my life depended on it. This country is full of crooks. If you are seeing a 'hi-so' girl in Chiang Mai, aged 31, civil engineering degree, good chinese and english - beware. She's after your wallet.

It appears to me your problem was you viewed her as "hi-so" when you should of viewed her as "low-so" - like all the others. :)