Visa run to Laos via Friendship Bridge

Hi,

I come from the Netherlands and my tourist visa is running out.

I stay in Ubon Ratchathani and I tried to find out if someone here could get me a Laos visa (from Khon Kaen) so I could cross the border at Chong Mek and return the same day to Thailand. But someone told me that the immigration at Chong Mek doesn't do that anymore and that is will be a hassle anyway because you need to go to Phibun to get your visa.

The quickest and cheapest alternative to this plan is taking the bus to Nongkai, buy a Laos visa at the border on the Friendship bridge and then return the same day crossing the bridge on the other side. Does anybody know if this is possible?

And also does anybody know if there is any danger of not getting back in because of SARS? (officially not but I saw something on the news today which I couldn't quite understand)

Ann

The quickest and cheapest alternative to this plan is taking the bus to Nongkai, buy a Laos visa at the border on the Friendship bridge and then return the same day crossing the bridge on the other side. Does anybody know if this is possible?

And also does anybody know if there is any danger of not getting back in because of SARS?

Hi Ann, and welcome to Thailand Expat Forum!

Bus to Nong Khai bus stn, another bus to the border, 1.550 Baht to the Visa Arrival Guy, some more 10 baht sovernirs on the way there, and just turn around after the Tax Free Shop.

Immigration will bonk in to Muang Thai again!

Voila!

Dear George,

Thank you for your very quick reply.

Do you by any chance know the situation at the border at Chong Mek?

It seems to change often, and we can't really find out if we can get a Thai tourist visa there as well. (we will first need to get a Laos visa from Khon Kaen)

Ann