Chiang Rai Immigration Office & Services

playbgnow

Does anyone happen to know if the Chiang Rai Immigration office can give me an exit visa?

Can they also give me the paper that states my address so that I can renew my drivers license?

Or any other elaboration on the immigration services in Chiang Rai are most welcome.

Thanks

If you mean the Mae Sai Immigration Office then the answer to all your questions is “Yes”. They can do anything any other office can do. Not sure what you mean by exit visa, as one typically needs a visa to enter, not exit Thailand.

In addition, on the first Saturday of each month (Oct 5th, next date), they setup shop at Central Plaza, saving many of us from a long drive to Mae Sai.
  • Like 1

I have a marriage visa which is good for a year. It is my understanding that if you wish to leave the country you need an exit visa so as not to lose your marriage visa when you return.

They call that a "re-entry" and yes they do that for about 1900 baht, if I remember correctly. You do need to leave and re-enter before your marriage visa expires, however.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

I have a marriage visa which is good for a year. It is my understanding that if you wish to leave the country you need an exit visa so as not to lose your marriage visa when you return.

They call that a "re-entry" and yes they do that for about 1900 baht, if I remember correctly. You do need to leave and re-enter before your marriage visa expires, however.

A single re-entry is 1,000 baht fee.

That does sound more reasonable.smile.png

That does sound more reasonable.smile.png

3,800 for a multiple entry visa.

They will issue the form that you want for renewing your driving license for ฿100. I did mine at Mae Sai a few days ago. If you need a motorbike and a car driving license they will issue you two proofs of residence at a cost of ฿100 each. I believe this is the cheapest in the country. You will have to supply a copy of your passport photo page and page with permission to stay stamp and white card: and tabien baan, wife's ID card both signed by her. Then at the driving license office in Chiang Rai they want the proof of residence, copy of passport and permission to stay and TM6 (white card) despite the fact that the proof of residence certificate validates those documents already. They will also want a medical certificate, though that is not what I would call it. Cost ฿30 which just about proves that you are alive but not much more. Dead easy.

• 1 month later...
If you mean the Mae Sai Immigration Office then the answer to all your questions is “Yes”. They can do anything any other office can do. Not sure what you mean by exit visa, as one typically needs a visa to enter, not exit Thailand.
In addition, on the first Saturday of each month (Oct 5th, next date), they setup shop at Central Plaza, saving many of us from a long drive to Mae Sai.

I'm moving to the Chiang Rai area in November from Phuket. I will need to post a new residence once I arrive in Chiang Rai using the TM-28. I currently hold a non-res O visa good until February 2014, however I'll need to do a 90 day report inbetween. I assumed that both proceedures could be done in Chiang Saen not Mai Sai?

Am I to understand that its either Mae Sai Immigration or once on the first saturaday of each month in Chaing Rai at Central Plaza...shopping mall? What floor?

You cannot change your drivers licence in Chaing Saen? Boy this is brutal. Driving all the way to Mae Sai and back...

If you mean the Mae Sai Immigration Office then the answer to all your questions is Yes. They can do anything any other office can do. Not sure what you mean by exit visa, as one typically needs a visa to enter, not exit Thailand.

I'm moving to the Chiang Rai area in November from Phuket. I will need to post a new residence once I arrive in Chiang Rai using the TM-28. I currently hold a non-res O visa good until February 2014, however I'll need to do a 90 day report inbetween. I assumed that both proceedures could be done in Chiang Saen not Mai Sai?

Am I to understand that its either Mae Sai Immigration or once on the first saturaday of each month in Chaing Rai at Central Plaza...shopping mall? What floor?

You cannot change your drivers licence in Chaing Saen? Boy this is brutal. Driving all the way to Mae Sai and back...

90 day report can be done by mail, easy, but otherwise yes.

Chiang Saen Immigration office, whilst very small, should be able to process all your immigration requirements. So you should be able to register the fact that you have moved, and do your 90 day report. They should also be able to give you the letter of residence you need for your driving licence, although you would have to ask them.

Your driving licence isn't something any immigration office can change.

That would need to be done at the Department of Land Transport, which I believe is in Chiang Rai city.

• Like 2

Chiang Saen Immigration office, whilst very small, should be able to process all your immigration requirements. So you should be able to register the fact that you have moved, and do your 90 day report. They should also be able to give you the letter of residence you need for your driving licence, although you would have to ask them.

That would need to be done at the Department of Land Transport, which I believe is in Chiang Rai city.

You may have a problem with a letter of residence from Mae Sai office. My visa was from Bangkok and when I moved here I tried to get a letter of residence from Mae Sai, twice, and they told me I had to go to Bangkok for it because that is where my visa was issued ! ! ! ! They told me that if I got a new visa from the CR office that they could get me the letter of residence but I would have to go through the new visa process and lose the remainder of my old visa. In my mind I thought that was a really STUPID idea. So I went to Bangkok for my letter of residence.

You may have a problem with a letter of residence from Mae Sai office. My visa was from Bangkok and when I moved here I tried to get a letter of residence from Mae Sai, twice, and they told me I had to go to Bangkok for it because that is where my visa was issued ! ! ! ! They told me that if I got a new visa from the CR office that they could get me the letter of residence but I would have to go through the new visa process and lose the remainder of my old visa. In my mind I thought that was a really STUPID idea. So I went to Bangkok for my letter of residence.

Visa, or extension of stay?

They call that a "re-entry" and yes they do that for about 1900 baht, if I remember correctly.  You do need to leave and re-enter before your marriage visa expires, however.

I think the cost of a re - entry visa is B1900 single entry or B3800 multi entry. See link to CM Immigration :

http://chiangmaiimm.com/en/free.html

Sent from my Liquid MT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What letter of residence?

Not everyone agrees with me, but I always suggest going to the source for information. As Fiddlesticks points out, our situations are not always identical, making it impossible to do what someone else said we can do. Simply go to Chiang Saen and ask them.
Most of us who live here happily, don’t look at things like extensions or 90-day reports as a burden, and find ways to make the best of a trip to Mae Sai, when necessary. It is a 115 km trip oneway for me but by including a little shopping, a side trip for sightseeing, lunch at a new restaurant or visiting friends, it becomes a pleasure rather than a burden or brutal.
Central Plaza is not that big so you can't miss the immigrations boys and girls setup in front of Robinson on the main floor.

I fully intend to do just that once I am in residence next month. I'm just trying to sort out beforehand any obsticles or insights those from the General Chiang Rai area may have.

Having made numerous trips to Mae Sai I don't think one more is a real issue, however if unnecessary I am obliged to take the course of least resistance.

No doubt I'll be quaying up at Robinsons one day as well. Thanks

• Like 1

The one you're supposed to have to be able to renew your driving licence.

I was not aware it was called a "letter of residence." Thought it was just a verification of current visa. BTW, 100 baht everywhere in Thailand for this service. My current licence is valid until 2017. Wonder if that date will be affected when I go in to change the address? Never know, perhaps it'll be extended again for a full 10 years.

Thanks.

I was not aware it was called a "letter of residence." Thought it was just a verification of current visa. BTW, 100 baht everywhere in Thailand for this service. My current licence is valid until 2017. Wonder if that date will be affected when I go in to change the address? Never know, perhaps it'll be extended again for a full 10 years.

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Why would a visit to immigration have any affect on your driving licence?

Thanks.

Thai driving licenses are only issued for 5 years.

Thanks.

Thai driving licenses are only issued for 5 years.

That is not correct.

THe first licence is a temporary licence which is one year. After this a 5 year may be issued.

5 years are only given on long tem visas. If the person is on a tourist visa he can only obtain a one year licence.

One year licences are not valid outside Thailand while the 5 year is.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Why would a visit to immigration have any affect on your driving licence?

Only to obtain the required certificate of residence required by the Transportation Department prior to issueing a drivers licence to a ferang. In this case due to relocation I need to change the address on my licence to reflect my new residence.

Ah, ok. Understood :)

In that case, you should probably do all the paperwork needed for your relocation with immigration first. Once they're happy with that, that will have established the fact that you live in the area that they are responsible for.

Then you should be able to get the letter you need for the driving licence update.

Out of interest, seeing as you mention the Chiang Saen office, whereabouts are you moving to?