Golfing Attire

johnh101

Normal acceptable attire (for men anyway) is an open neck shirt (short sleeved or long sleeved) with a collar (no T-shirts), casual shorts or slacks (no flowery board shorts or denim), socks and shoes.

Tracksuits and jeans are not considered acceptable attire.

Baseball caps or hats of any other description must not be worn the wrong way round.

Women may wear appropriate sleeveless golf attire.

Whilst wearing proper golf shoes is recommended, I don't think that it's compulsory.

/Edit - if you do a google search for "golf dress code" you will find that Thailand's golf club dress codes are pretty much the same standard as anywhere else in the world.

Edited by Jai Dee

They have it covered but let me add a few cents.

Wear white or light colored. If you are susceptable to heat, black shirts can kill. Addidas and Nike have cooling wear that helps also.

Its bloody hot on the course. Dress and play accordingly. Drink way too much water and keep in the shade as much as possible.

Another quick tip. Drinking beer etc is great for about the first 4 - 6 holes.

Just wait for the de-hydration headache by about the 12th. By the 16th you will be calling an ambualance :o

Its the sort of thing you only do once.

• 4 weeks later...

Jaidee has got it worked out. Stay of the beer till about the last 3 holes if your having a bad day, then it's not far to the club house for a shower and air con.

Carry a sports water bottle and top up with ice and water.Always light coloured shirts,carry a sweat towel as you get saturated. I go for a change of shirt and cap at half way, makes you feel a bit better for trip back to the 18th.Stick to the shade whenever possible.

• 1 month later...
Addidas and Nike have cooling wear that helps also.

and Adidas are made here so you can get good 'climacool' shirts at a decent price.

Have a large golf umbrella - with the silver lining. Useful for rainstorms, but mainly used as a sun shield...... and take a handtowel.

coops

What is the normal attire on the golf courses here ?

Shorts, jeans, casuals ?

Do you have to have golf shoes, etc

Cheers

Essential Dress Code/Items for Thai Golf Courses

In order of importance:

1) Two mobile phones (attached to your belt and to be used at all times).

2) Loud and irritating voice (especially when someone else is playing their shot).

3) Trousers (long or short, does not matter) and a T-Shirt that totally clash with each other.

4) A ridiculous chrome cap with 2 square metres of fabric attached to keep the sun off your neck.

I dont have time to think of more, rushing to get out of the office, but I look forward to you lot adding as you see fit.

Don't forget to book two caddies, one for holding the Umbrella , the other to bring you cool towel's and to ensure that the portable chair is always ready to use.

BTW there are more companies selling Golfshirts than the two mentioned and they are all made here in Thai factories with Thaifabrics and controlled by the respective Company so that consumer get what they pay for.

Enjoy yr game.

What is the normal attire on the golf courses here ?

Shorts, jeans, casuals ?

Do you have to have golf shoes, etc

Cheers

Essential Dress Code/Items for Thai Golf Courses

In order of importance:

2) Loud and irritating voice (especially when someone else is playing their shot).

3) Trousers (long or short, does not matter) and a T-Shirt that totally clash with each other.

4) A ridiculous chrome cap with 2 square metres of fabric attached to keep the sun off your neck.

I dont have time to think of more, rushing to get out of the office, but I look forward to you lot adding as you see fit.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that one thing you WONT need when playing with the locals is a Rule Book.

Typical on-course conversation:

"Flee dlop na?"

"Urrm, no, actually your tee shot is in someones back garden."

"Chai, flee dlop na?'

"Urrm, not really, your tee shot is 50 yards out of bounds."

"Chai, mai dee na. Flee dlop na?'

"Here, please take the 20 baht off me now for this hole as I obviously have no chance of hitting as good a shot with any of the 14 clubs in my bag as you have with one stroke of your pencil".

"Arai na? Flee dlop chai mai?"

"Jesus...ok flee dlop, but only if you promise to tee off on the next hole before I even finish putting out on this one."

In order of importance:

The Club I play at in Bangkok has a very strict rule about Mobile 'phones on the course - enforced rigorously in competitions and usually invoked at the start of any serious play between individuals.

If a Players' 'phone rings at any time during the round:

Stroke Play - 2 stroke penalty

Match Play - loss of hole

Unfortunately at the moment there is no sanction available if the Caddy has a 'phone - as most of them do these days of course: I played on Tuesday morning and smack in the middle of my Tee shot an a par 5 my Caddy's 'phone erupted with that very seasonal and traditional Thai melody "we wish you a Merry Christmas".

:o

Patrick

In order of importance:

The Club I play at in Bangkok has a very strict rule about Mobile 'phones on the course - enforced rigorously in competitions and usually invoked at the start of any serious play between individuals.

If a Players' 'phone rings at any time during the round:

Stroke Play - 2 stroke penalty

Match Play - loss of hole

Unfortunately at the moment there is no sanction available if the Caddy has a 'phone - as most of them do these days of course: I played on Tuesday morning and smack in the middle of my Tee shot an a par 5 my Caddy's 'phone erupted with that very seasonal and traditional Thai melody "we wish you a Merry Christmas".

:o

Patrick

Just finished a round today and my caddy spent most of the time talking on her mobile phone!!!

The best response to those irritating phone calls the caddies get is to tell her, after she receives or makes the first call...."One more call and NO TIP today."

That normally gets the unit turned off for me.

The best response to those irritating phone calls the caddies get is to tell her, after she receives or makes the first call...."One more call and NO TIP today."

That normally gets the unit turned off for me.

You mean you actually tip your caddie? :o