Almond Milk

Jamie

Wife and daughter are in Thailand currently visiting family. My daughter is allergic to cow's milk as well as coconut. While in the States, she was drinking almond milk. I'm trying to find out if almond milk is widely available (or available at all) in Thailand. They are currently in the Sakon Nakhon area. Wife has been trying to give her soy milk as a substitute but daughter isn't really wanting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Villa Market and Foodland both have it - imported from Australia, Price about 250 Baht for a big carton.

I doubt Tops has it.

I saw it in Tops Khon Kaen. As another poster mentioned it is imported from Australia.

When we poor in America 70 to 80 years ago my family made this junk. Now the rich think they discover a miracle drink

Interesting. Can you help the poster find it in the LOS? One does not have to be "rich" to enjoy it.

• Like 1

When we poor in America 70 to 80 years ago my family made this junk. Now the rich think they discover a miracle drink

Junk? Sounds like you didn't like it. Was it the actual taste, or embarrassment of being poor and different? Kids can be that way. You must have been in almond growing country because even then almond milk would have been more expensive than cow's milk.

Anyway, almond milk is a very healthy drink.

It is definitely available at Villa Market, although the home made is much tastier and you can make it more concentrated that the too-diluted store-bought almond milk.

Edited by HerbalEd

It's easy to make your own almond milk, but one of the great things about Thailand is all the dairly milk alterntaives. You can get sesame milk, jobs tears milk (so good), corn milk, hazelnut milk, oat milk - go to Tops if you can, they have the best selection.

I love the stuff they sell in the States... but I suppose you could mix up a good recipe. Personally, I would use coconut water as a base. It is pure and fresh. Then add some Almond mush (get a recipe online) and a drop of vanilla extract. mmmmmmmmm super nutrients and fresh. Serve ice cold, or add yogurt and fruit for a splendid smoooooothiee.

Come to think of it, I am going to get a blender tomorrow. Banana, almond mush, coconut water and a drop of vanilla. A slice of banana for some smacking sweetness.

• Like 1

Don't know how old your daughter is, however Makro has packs of Soy milk,dehydrated, you

just add water and (chocolate syrup)....It's listed as Ovaltine soy milk, I use it all the time don't

do much dairy anymore.I believe this is available in Testo too. You get ten pack and the price

is about B82....each pack makes about 10-12 oz..............

Don't know how old your daughter is, however Makro has packs of Soy milk,dehydrated, you

just add water and (chocolate syrup)....It's listed as Ovaltine soy milk, I use it all the time don't

do much dairy anymore.I believe this is available in Testo too. You get ten pack and the price

is about B82....each pack makes about 10-12 oz..............

One of the points of almond milk (or oat or hazelnut) is that it is NOT soy milk and is in fact far

healthier.

You can google the negative effects of soy milk yourself or search thaivisa threads.

Soy milk is junk and qulaity alternatives cost though I believe that

it doesn't have to be as high as it is. In Laos they import almond milk

from another supplier and it costs half of what it does in Thailand

• Like 2

• 6 years later...
On 10/8/2013 at 5:12 PM, BugJackBaron said:

Soy milk is junk and qulaity alternatives cost though I believe that

You can buy a 1 litre bottle of unsweetened soya milk from Macro etc... costs the same as the sugary version.

And soy milk typically has a higher protein content than almond milk (unless it has been fortified.)

• Like 1