BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
chris2004

China visas for UK nationals living in Thailand

I'm considering a trip to China next year but wanted to be sure about getting a visa before booking the trip. I live permanently in Thailand so wouldn't want to have to use the Chinese Embassy in the UK. Is it straight forward to get a visa from the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok if you are not a thai national.

Looking briefly at their web site it seems you have to show them a return air ticket and hotel booking BEFORE you get the visa. Is that a risk if they then refuse the visa. You would be left with a ticket/hotel you can't use.

Chris, there have been a number of threads on this subject, and unfortunately the Chinese consulates regularly move the goalposts on requirements.

Firstly a tourist visa for China is valid for three months after issue and is usually a single entry only. I would suggest that you wait as long as possible before you apply to ensure the rules don't change again. I have heard of difficulties for a non Thai getting a visa in Bangkok, but similarly I have heard that Chiang Mai is much friendlier.

Another problem with BKK is that all of the counter staff are Thai and if a visa is refused, they can rarely tell you why. If you do get refused then it is suggested you speak to the Chinese Consulate staff and not argue with the counter staff.

as for showing Air tickets and Hotel bookings, I believe this is now required, so another suggestion is wherever you land in China book a hotel at that location. I always use booking.com and you pay to the hotel when you check out. No money changes hands until then, even tho they take your credit card details. If they refuse a visa then simply cancel your booking with booking.com. Airline tickets are a little more difficult, but they can be cancelled and money refunded.

As a final resort, it is well known that a visa is easy to get in HK. Hope this helps.

why didn' t you go now? holding uk passport, you can receive 72 hours transit visa for free on arrival if you 're flying to kuanchow, shanghai, pekin from bkk, then flying to a third country, such as singgapore, vietnam, laos, cambodia, manila.etc

you'd bette book airasia bkk-can one way, then 3 days later departing from CAN-BKI( kota kinabalu, malaysia),or tigerair can-sin......

thus you spend zero on visa.

or you can give your passport to big travel agent in bkk, they can also make cina tourist visa for you....

you shouldn't go embassy by yourself, which makes things worse and complicated.

why didn' t you go now? holding uk passport, you can receive 72 hours transit visa for free on arrival if you 're flying to kuanchow, shanghai, pekin from bkk, then flying to a third country, such as singgapore, vietnam, laos, cambodia, manila.etc

you'd bette book airasia bkk-can one way, then 3 days later departing from CAN-BKI( kota kinabalu, malaysia),or tigerair can-sin......

or you can give your passport to big travel agent in bkk, they can also make cina tourist visa for you....

I don't think many people would like to visit China for three days only. You are correct about the transit visas, however they are only valid for the city that issued it. In other words if you wanted to travel outside of the issuing city you would have to travel by roads as the Airport security check would not allow you to board a domestic/international flight. And you would not be able to book into a hotel outside of that city either.

I don't think many people would like to visit China for three days only. You are correct about the transit visas, however they are only valid for the city that issued it. In other words if you wanted to travel outside of the issuing city you would have to travel by roads as the Airport security check would not allow you to board a domestic/international flight. And you would not be able to book into a hotel outside of that city either.

no....

72hour transit visa granted in kuanchow airport 're allowed to go whole province of canton, 72 hour transit granted in sh and pek and chengdu (ctu)allowing to go all municipality areas of pek and sh and chengdu.

Edited by rnw

more cities will offer 72 hour transit free waiver soon,such as wuhai,kunmin etc.........

Edited by rnw

And you would not be able to book into a hotel outside of that city either.

nonthaburial, you fly into kuanchow and receive 72 hours transit stamp, you can stay in senzen or zuhai or any cities (in canton) hotels or guesthouses

Thanks guys it sounds a bit of a minefield. I would certainly want to spend more than 3 days there. Maybe forget that idea and go somewhere else.

And you would not be able to book into a hotel outside of that city either.

nonthaburial, you fly into kuanchow and receive 72 hours transit stamp, you can stay in senzen or zuhai or any cities (in canton) hotels or guesthouses

rnw, I actually live and work in Dongguan and have done so for over four years, I must admit your spelling confuses me, are you Chinese ? kuanchow (Guangzhou ?) Senzen (Shenzhen ?) Zuhai (Zhuhai ?) Pek (Beijing ?) Can (Guangdong ?)