Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

I'm a member at Platinum and work out there 3-4 times per week. Happened to be there today, Saturday, and was chatting with manager. 680 annual members. Busiest weekday evenings, nearly empty weekday mornings and weekends. I think that many of the active members are women who take the yoga and fitness courses, rather than use the equipment.

I'll update the previous posts: TVs have cable stations, towel service available, opened new downstairs weight room with new equipment (just today!), new machines coming upstairs soon, ample parking.

Staff are friendly and helpful, not pushy on training at all, can communicate in English well enough.

Personally, I like Platinum because it is clean, spacious, not pretentious, easy to park at, and close to my house. I paid 10K for a 1 yr membership. And it is true, girls at the counters are cute, fit, and wear white miniskirts.

How short..... :o

Put it this way Cc, you don't need much of an imagination :D

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just checked out the gym at the D2 hotel and equipment totals around 15 pieces with the usual running machines, weight machines and sit up pieces but no sign of a rowing machine. They have a steam room on the same level (top floor) and swimming pool is lower down both of which are included in the fee. Walls are floor to ceiling glass which makes the place warm as it was this afternoon but does allow decent views. They are open 0600 thru to 2200. I was told price was 8,000 per annum and was declined a discount for the wife but as locale is good I was still planing to join then I was told there is also a 500baht per month (only months you actually use the gym) to be paid which I declined. Awaiting call from manager to see if he is willing to waive this for 2 memberships. I don't know of any other gym in this immediate area so hoping for a positive response.

• 1 month later...

D2 hotel is about 300mts inside the night bazzar as you turn in from Thapae Road. Its on the right and sits back about 80mts. Its a new image Dusit hotel and well smart. Address is 100 Changklan Road but as I say you'll have to look deep inside a soi to your right, I can't recall what the hotel used to be called but others will.

For the record I never could get the management to shift on a discount if both the wife and I joined up but I'll probably shell out when I return as facilities and location for me are good. One particular young lady on the front desk is also very easy on the eye but alas no white mini skirt.

Do you guys konw of any place that sells good food supplements in Chaing Mai. Is it possible to buy good protein shakes, creatine, vitamins (eas, twinlab etc.) anywhere??

Also a good natural testesterone booster called Long Jack-Tongkat Ali grows naturaly in Thailand.. so I wonder where I could buy that?

I'm a member at Platinum and work out there 3-4 times per week. Happened to be there today, Saturday, and was chatting with manager. 680 annual members. Busiest weekday evenings, nearly empty weekday mornings and weekends. I think that many of the active members are women who take the yoga and fitness courses, rather than use the equipment.

I'll update the previous posts: TVs have cable stations, towel service available, opened new downstairs weight room with new equipment (just today!), new machines coming upstairs soon, ample parking.

Staff are friendly and helpful, not pushy on training at all, can communicate in English well enough.

Personally, I like Platinum because it is clean, spacious, not pretentious, easy to park at, and close to my house. I paid 10K for a 1 yr membership. And it is true, girls at the counters are cute, fit, and wear white minis

Yeah, they're real cuteys and that sauna is like a warehouse. Let me know if they get a decent rower in, Puwa :o

Man, you are obsessed with rowing. Don't you know any other exercises? Are you training for the Olympics? For God's sake, buy a bloody boat !!!! :D

I just located a GNC store in chiang mai on the net...

MUANG CHIANGMAI

Store: KAAD SUAN KAEW (7641)

Phone: (662) 243-0095

Address: 9914 HUAY KAEW RD SUTHA

MUANG CHIANGMAI

Thailand

Does anyone know where that is, and how their product range is ??

I just located a GNC store in chiang mai on the net...

MUANG CHIANGMAI

Store: KAAD SUAN KAEW (7641)

Phone: (662) 243-0095

Address: 9914 HUAY KAEW RD SUTHA

MUANG CHIANGMAI

Thailand

Does anyone know where that is, and how their product range is ??

Kaad Suan Kaew is a fuc**ng huge joint which, amongst hundreds of smaller stores houses Central Department Store. It is next to the Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel only a few hundred metres from the north west corner of the moat. No idea on the products at GNC.

"good protein shakes, creatine, vitamins" nah, I prefer the natural goodies provided by fresh food and beer :D rather than manfactured ones.

As for the testosterone booster Long Jack-Tongkat Ali, stuff that, 50 mgs of V does the trick. :o

• 1 month later...

I have been keeping my eye on this topic hoping that more information would be posted....Sadly, it hasn't.

I am arriving in CM next month and would be really interested to know if there is any fresh information on the subject of gyms. I am looking for a facility that has free weights as well as multi-gym stations. Some C.V. stuff would be okay but I think that I could live without it as I will be doing other training that should cover the fat burning. I would also like to know if there are any supplement suppliers there in CM. A decent protein powder would be all that is needed. The portions of meat in LOS are a little small for a growing lad like me :o

In addition, a gym that has some cute women in it is always a benefit. When I am bench pressing more than my own bodyweight, I find, that the ladies give me that little bit more motivation to perform, if you know what i mean... :D

Oh...and yes, I don't really want to pay a fortune either.....Is that too much of a tall order in CM??

Powerhouse has a website: www.powerhousethailand.com It's not far from the Amari Rincome and the Phucome Hotel. I'm sure there's more hotels nearby but I don't know their names.

I'm hearing rumours of a chain from Bangkok setting up a large complex in Chiang Mai right now. I don't know any other details but I've heard the rumour from several people. Anybody know anything of this?

D2 hotel is about 300mts inside the night bazzar as you turn in from Thapae Road. Its on the right and sits back about 80mts. Its a new image Dusit hotel and well smart. Address is 100 Changklan Road but as I say you'll have to look deep inside a soi to your right, I can't recall what the hotel used to be called but others will.

For the record I never could get the management to shift on a discount if both the wife and I joined up but I'll probably shell out when I return as facilities and location for me are good. One particular young lady on the front desk is also very easy on the eye but alas no white mini skirt.

D2 was previously Chiang Inn Hotel..........

I have been keeping my eye on this topic hoping that more information would be posted....Sadly, it hasn't.

I am arriving in CM next month and would be really interested to know if there is any fresh information on the subject of gyms. I am looking for a facility that has free weights as well as multi-gym stations.

I would also like to know if there are any supplement suppliers there in CM. A decent protein powder would be all that is needed. The portions of meat in LOS are a little small for a growing lad like me :o

In addition, a gym that has some cute women in it is always a benefit. When I am bench pressing more than my own bodyweight, I find, that the ladies give me that little bit more motivation to perform, if you know what i mean... :D

Oh...and yes, I don't really want to pay a fortune either.....Is that too much of a tall order in CM??

I think all the information you are looking for is already in the thread. Platinum has free wights; GNC at Central/Kad Suan Kaew is well stocked, plus you can buy protein powder at many gyms. And here's a tip: when you go to the gym to work out, bring lots of 20 baht notes. Hand them out to the women there, and ask them to stand around the bench press fawning all you as you lift more than your own weight. They love that!!

And here's a tip: when you go to the gym to work out, bring lots of 20 baht notes. Hand them out to the women there, and ask them to stand around the bench press fawning all you as you lift more than your own weight. They love that!!

So you are the one who ruined it for me. I used to give them 10 baht coins and they were perfectly happy! :o

I'm hearing rumours of a chain from Bangkok setting up a large complex in Chiang Mai right now. I don't know any other details but I've heard the rumour from several people. Anybody know anything of this?

that would be california wow. don't know where yet but heard right at the back of carrefour. again not sure. saw them advertise for personnel in one of the thai newspapers last week for chiang mai branch.

that would be california wow. don't know where yet but heard right at the back of carrefour. again not sure. saw them advertise for personnel in one of the thai newspapers last week for chiang mai branch.

Someone else told me this morning that the new one is supposed to be near Airport Plaza (not to be confused with Body and Mind). Perhaps there are two coming in. Carrefour makes sense though as there are no good gyms on that side of town that I'm aware of.

correction, California Wow is going to be above robinson's at Airport Plaza.

Personally, I like Platinum because it is clean, spacious, not pretentious, easy to park at, and close to my house. I paid 10K for a 1 yr membership. And it is true, girls at the counters are cute, fit, and wear white minis

Yeah, they're real cuteys and that sauna is like a warehouse. Let me know if they get a decent rower in, Puwa :D

Man, you are obsessed with rowing. Don't you know any other exercises? Are you training for the Olympics? For God's sake, buy a bloody boat !!!! :D

Can't beat a rower for allround fitness if you know much about keeping fit.

Jogging is ok but is tough on the joints

Biking is good, which I do, but traffic and pollution are bad

Weight lifting is good, which I do, but is about as useful for overall fitness as playing snooker

Coud buy a boat but perhaps a tad OTT when compared with sitting on a machine in a cosy gym while taking in the eye candy. Could also buy a machine but a good un is 70k and a bit boring rowing in the house.

<deleted> are you btw? :o

Powerhouse have a website.. but no email??? I was going to email them and ask how much it is to work out there.. I plan on being 4 months, and if there any mid priced hotels around... or maybe apartments... can anyone here help out?

Are any of the golf local drive ranges close by??

Is the university near by.. I´ve herd it´s a good place to run and swim?

Aha...that will be why the Gym above Tesco/Lotus on the Hang Dong Road are really pushing me to take a membership there with 6 weeks free membership.

It's not a bad gym, has everything you need, just find it strange watching people shopping and eating when you are working out. Thats the bit that is putting me off joining.

I was impressed with Platinum, but its a half hour drive to get there compared to 10 minutes to Tesco. California wow would be just 5 minutes more.

Does anyone know when its due to open.? My Wife likes to do "Hot Areobics" Tesco/Lotus does not have these classes, Platinum does and I am sure CW would.

Aha...that will be why the Gym above Tesco/Lotus on the Hang Dong Road are really pushing me to take a membership there with 6 weeks free membership.

It's not a bad gym, has everything you need, just find it strange watching people shopping and eating when you are working out. Thats the bit that is putting me off joining.

I was impressed with Platinum, but its a half hour drive to get there compared to 10 minutes to Tesco. California wow would be just 5 minutes more.

Does anyone know when its due to open.? My Wife likes to do "Hot Areobics" Tesco/Lotus does not have these classes, Platinum does and I am sure CW would.

TP, i think you should wait for CW. shouldn't be long from now. max by end of october.

Yeah, they're real cuteys and that sauna is like a warehouse. Let me know if they get a decent rower in, Puwa :D

Weight lifting is good, which I do, but is about as useful for overall fitness as playing snooker

Coud buy a boat but perhaps a tad OTT when compared with sitting on a machine in a cosy gym while taking in the eye candy. Could also buy a machine but a good un is 70k and a bit boring rowing in the house.

Almost any activity that raises your heart rate and keeps it there, which includes increased oxygen intake, is good for overall fitness. Walking would do it if you were going up a steep enough incline. Maybe you could pop down to your local disco and boogie the night away, that would do it (and I am sure that there is plenty of 'eye candy' - Does 'eye candy' eventually rot the Pupils??) :D

As regards weight lifting, it depends how much intensity that you put in to it, as to whether you will improve overall fitness or not. There is a guy called Charles Staley who has developed a programme called 'E.D.T'. It stands for Escalated Density Training. If you do this correctly you will increase you fitness levels on a regular basis and increase strength (and depending on you diet and age, you may growth some new muscle too). It's completely progressive and designed to allow you to monitor your progress after every workout.

I assume that '<deleted> are you btw?' is a polite way of asking me what right that I have to include myself in this 'open to all', 'totally public', forum? Well I am not Sir Steve Redgrave, so there is no point in kissing my arse....

I am just like you really; although I am not as obsessed with rowing, I don't use phrases like 'tad OTT', if I can help it, I clearly know a little bit more about training, I have never described any gym that I train at as 'cosy' and I can take a joke..That actually makes us sound quite different really. Oh yes, I am also a personal fitness trainer. I would be happy to write you a programme if you want to spice up your training. I will also be in CM next month and would even be happy to offer my services as a trainer. (that is, of course, you have not taken our exchanges too seriously and you are already planning my horrible death by bullet to the back of the head - that would put a real downer on my trip) I have written programmes for all levels of fitness, strengths and ultimate goals. :D

Almost any activity that raises your heart rate and keeps it there, which includes increased oxygen intake, is good for overall fitness. Walking would do it if you were going up a steep enough incline. Maybe you could pop down to your local disco and boogie the night away, that would do it (and I am sure that there is plenty of 'eye candy' - Does 'eye candy' eventually rot the Pupils??) :D

As regards weight lifting, it depends how much intensity that you put in to it, as to whether you will improve overall fitness or not. There is a guy called Charles Staley who has developed a programme called 'E.D.T'. It stands for Escalated Density Training. If you do this correctly you will increase you fitness levels on a regular basis and increase strength (and depending on you diet and age, you may growth some new muscle too). It's completely progressive and designed to allow you to monitor your progress after every workout.

I assume that '<deleted> are you btw?' is a polite way of asking me what right that I have to include myself in this 'open to all', 'totally public', forum? Well I am not Sir Steve Redgrave, so there is no point in kissing my arse....

I am just like you really; although I am not as obsessed with rowing, I don't use phrases like 'tad OTT', if I can help it, I clearly know a little bit more about training, I have never described any gym that I train at as 'cosy' and I can take a joke..That actually makes us sound quite different really. Oh yes, I am also a personal fitness trainer. I would be happy to write you a programme if you want to spice up your training. I will also be in CM next month and would even be happy to offer my services as a trainer. (that is, of course, you have not taken our exchanges too seriously and you are already planning my horrible death by bullet to the back of the head - that would put a real downer on my trip) I have written programmes for all levels of fitness, strengths and ultimate goals. :D

Granted Einstein, although rowing is pretty intense and a superb over all, low-impact exercize. Certainly works well for me when combined with jogging, cycling, and lifting weights. Don't need to be at my absolute peak as I'm not training for the olympics, but just keeping trim enough to stroll between bars.

Thanks for the offer but if that's you in your avatar I'll think I'll take a pass. :D

ps - OTT means over the top by the way. :D

• 1 month later...
The D2hotel recently opened a fitness centre on its 10th floor, nice ambience with city and mountain views. I don't remember the price but it seemed like it was in the 10K/year range--whatever the price was I remember thinking it was a bargain.

Sabaijai is usually right about just about everything, but - according to a buddy - he struck out on this one. The D2 is 14,000 per year and there is VERY little equipment compared to the many 7,000 baht a year places around town that have everything that you want.

If you are a snooty, rich yuppy that wants to brag about working out at the D2 and all you want is a pool, a view and a smattering of work out stuff, this is the place for you. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Dont know if this is allowed on the forum, but I've seen it in many pharmacies so....

Does anyone know where to get Dianabol? The pharmacies only sell them in thousand capsule units, but I only need about 150. Please PM me if if you know someone.

How is the gym and swimming pool in Hillside Plaza?

Jackr,

what about swimming, great cardio, easy on the joints.

Archived