Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

California Wow - Anyone have a membership there. I don't want to go in and get gang sold until I know someone is liking what they bought. My wife is looking for a good step class and or aerobics. She is already in good shape so getting into it .. should be easy. And she loves shopping at the airport plaza, it seems a perfect match, maybe not to my wallet but such is life.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the best deals for a basic gym with weights n machines, and then some classes if you like the thai-techno-step thing, is Body n Mind on the little Airport Road. It's small. Kind of new n kind of crappy all at once. It gets crowded around 5:30-8p some nights, but not always. A few cuties there, especially the staff,...and then also alot of the pretty boys, mainly doing the classes and dancing around with the girls. But it's a friendly culture, good mix of THai n Farang, the trainers are helpful if you want a routine written out for you, or help with your form. They have a sauna, but no pool. Tennis courts too. Sauna has a suspicious crowd just like CM Orchid. I only pay 6,500 /yr or something like that. It's more if you pay the monthly rate. But great value, easy to get to and just do your workout.

One of the best deals for a basic gym with weights n machines, and then some classes if you like the thai-techno-step thing, is Body n Mind on the little Airport Road. It's small. Kind of new n kind of crappy all at once. It gets crowded around 5:30-8p some nights, but not always. A few cuties there, especially the staff,...and then also alot of the pretty boys, mainly doing the classes and dancing around with the girls. But it's a friendly culture, good mix of THai n Farang, the trainers are helpful if you want a routine written out for you, or help with your form. They have a sauna, but no pool. Tennis courts too. Sauna has a suspicious crowd just like CM Orchid. I only pay 6,500 /yr or something like that. It's more if you pay the monthly rate. But great value, easy to get to and just do your workout.

Ha, don't let out the secret RTD; we'll have 1/2 the TV forum joining up! :D

Yeah, some Thai disco boys at CM Orchid (mostly late afternoon). But that is one of the things that makes it "female friendly"!

And they are all pretty cool, and keep to themselves.

The big draw for me is the location, the price (8K/yr), and the pool.

I understand the Lotus Hotel (behind Central) also has a great facility- haven't checked it out yet as my membership at Orchid is good till Oct. I understand they have an even bigger pool.

I like this gym because being next to Central KSK, I can go to gym, then walk next door, do all needed daily shopping, then walk back to my motorsai and go home. Very convenient.

And no, I've never been in the saunas, you hansom man, you... :o

McG

And the 20m pool at CM Orchid is gd for suntanning, but not so gd for swimming. Every morning you will see the hotel cleaner trying to catch the floating dead insects with a fishing net & a long stick. And as usual, the little insects will slip through the net....

There are some older Japanese expats who are regular late afternoon swimmers at Orchid pool; they are there every day, rain or shine.

When there is an insect population explosion, yeah sometimes you'll see an errant critter (or 10) in the water. Right now it is completely clean....

The 700 year stadium has a 50 meter pool. It's great for laps in the morning and afternoon. But late in the afternoon and early evening the kids get out of school and start to crowd it.

Looking at google maps....I noticed a 2nd 50 meter pool in Chiang Mai not far from the 700 year stadium. Does anyone have any details on that?

The 700 year stadium has a 50 meter pool. It's great for laps in the morning and afternoon. But late in the afternoon and early evening the kids get out of school and start to crowd it.

Looking at google maps....I noticed a 2nd 50 meter pool in Chiang Mai not far from the 700 year stadium. Does anyone have any details on that?

That's a pool belonging to a hotel. I'm not sure if I remeber the name right when I say it's the Imperial mae ping? I know

it's a hotel "chain" that, confusingly enough, has another hotel with the same name in the centre of the city. You can guess

how I know this.

I was there once, about a year ago. Seemed ok, but too many leaves etc. floating in the water, maybe because

not many people were using it? I was the only one there at the time I think.

Also a little expensive I thought. 200b maybe?

• 2 months later...
tnx mcl (just have to mention, what a gorgeous cat in your avatar!)

Can i just ask, does anyone know roughly the going rate for powerhouse? (As some of you mention its quite expensive). Would like to compare costs. Otherwise ill just pop in (but once you get in these places they do tend to latch on to you!)

Bump for this question as I'm interested too. Anyone got a ballpark price?

That's a pool belonging to a hotel. I'm not sure if I remeber the name right when I say it's the Imperial mae ping? I know

it's a hotel "chain" that, confusingly enough, has another hotel with the same name in the centre of the city. You can guess

how I know this.

I think that you mean the Rim Ping.

The Mae Ping is downtown. :o

We've been more than happy with the Platinum Fitness Club. Located on Mae Rim Road just across from the Lana Golf Course.

It is a good size pool, four studios (spinning, kick boxing,yoga and aerobics) and a sauna. It has about 20 treadmills, 10 step machines

a number of bikes and TV monitors for all the treadmills. Lockers and showers are adequate. Juice bar is nice and nice size lobby

area. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. Cost 10,000B per year (8,000B if over 55) and no monthly fees or fees for

classes. It is also not very busy from 7:00 to 4:00, don't go evenings so can't comment on that. Large parking lot is also a plus.

Contact me if you've got questions. JOHN :o

• 4 weeks later...

Im looking for somewhere with nice steam rooms, jacuzzi, sauna and luxurious fluffy towels.

You know the sort of place - somewhere one can truly relax and unwind. In BKK i was a member of the capitol club in Sukhumvit Soi 24. Really liked that place.

Any similar places in CM?

• 5 months later...
i heard fitness thailand thats above rimping is building a new gym somewhere near carrefour. Chiangmai Business Park to be more precise with a swimming pool, and everything you can find in a good gym. anyone heard of this?

There is a new gym which is officially opening on April 1/08 behind Carrefour and seems well priced at 5000 baht a year or 50 baht per day with various other packages.

It's fairly basic (no pool etc as reported above) aircon and all the expected cardio equipment, free weights and universal equipment. It currently is a little short on dumbells only up to 50lbs and no leg press. Some of the equipment is Thai made, which means some slightly off center benches, but other key equimpent, like the smith machine and cables have been purchased. If your a little creative you can do everything you need to and seems to be well priced.

The change room and showers leave a little to be desired but it is still manageable. Again for the price I don't think you can beat it.

Cheers.

Isn't there a Gym at one of the upper floors of the Kad Suan Kaew (Central) ?

I have gone to Orchid hotel Gym last winter and found it quite o.k., but some more machines for belly-treatment would not be bad at all.....

Yes there is Kawee Power Zone at Kad Suan Kaew on the 3rd Floor. Not bad. 50 Baht for the day or 800 per month. Good selection of machines.

Can anyone give a recomendation for a gym to the south of the city? I'm on Chang Klan road near Chiang Mai land village. Primarily interested in weights in an aircon environment.

Maybe try the new luxury Shangrila Hotel while they are desperate for money and don't have many customers? They seem to be offering lots of discounts on buffets.

Tell us what you think if you check it out. :o

Shangrila is, for now, by far the best in Chiang Mai ( I think I've looked at them all) if you are looking for a quality spa-like gym. The equipment is the basic Life Fitness hotel package plus some free weights, but the amenities and comfort level are pretty high.

When I stopped by early last month they were still figuring out the price, but I seem to remember 24K per year was mentioned......

Im looking for somewhere with nice steam rooms, jacuzzi, sauna and luxurious fluffy towels.

You know the sort of place - somewhere one can truly relax and unwind. In BKK i was a member of the capitol club in Sukhumvit Soi 24. Really liked that place.

Any similar places in CM?

Are you looking for a gym? or a spa?

• 2 weeks later...
We've been more than happy with the Platinum Fitness Club. Located on Mae Rim Road just across from the Lana Golf Course.

It is a good size pool, four studios (spinning, kick boxing,yoga and aerobics) and a sauna. It has about 20 treadmills, 10 step machines

a number of bikes and TV monitors for all the treadmills. Lockers and showers are adequate. Juice bar is nice and nice size lobby

area. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. Cost 10,000B per year (8,000B if over 55) and no monthly fees or fees for

classes. It is also not very busy from 7:00 to 4:00, don't go evenings so can't comment on that. Large parking lot is also a plus.

Contact me if you've got questions. JOHN :o

Does Platinum have website?

There is another hotel opening very soon in the Night Bazaar across the street from Starbucks and Burger King that is supposed to have a good gym. Anyone know the name (which I think is French)?

Le Meridian is opening soon and rumored to have a good gym with a pool.

Platinum is a great gym, and a great deal at 8K for 55+ members.

If I wasn't addicted to the convenience (and friendships with fellow members) at Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel, whose facilities pale in comparison to Platinum.....ah well!

CM Orchid is also 8K/yr. Somewhat shopworn gym, lockers/showers so so. But a great 20 meter pool, with lots of sun all day. And it is right next to Central KSK, so I find it very convenient to go there, do my workout, swim, sun, etc.- then walk next door on a daily basis to do all necessary shopping.

I've timed it; if I catch all the lights it is 5 minutes from my front door.

Others who live in different parts of town will be no doubt better served by newer/closer gyms.....

• 1 month later...

Hey all... I will be back in CM for a month this summer and will definitely be hitting the gym hard. I used to go to the municipal gym for free weights (very bare bones but just what I needed) and hit the streets for running.

However, lately I've been running on a treadmill and then cycling a whole bunch, then hitting the weights.

So... I've gone through all the threads here and can't find the consolidated info--is there a gym that has treadmills, cycling machines, and free weights? And will quote a price for a one month membership?

So far it looks like Platinum is what I am looking for--anyone know if they fit the above criteria?

Oh--and does anyone know if the mini-skirted lasses are back at work?

[quote name='mild7even' date='2008-05-22 07:38:05' post='1993367'

So... I've gone through all the threads here and can't find the consolidated info--is there a gym that has treadmills, cycling machines, and free weights? And will quote a price for a one month membership?

California Wow at Airport Plaza has all those things and more. A couple of months ago they were running a special one month trial membership for 399 Baht. The music can get annoying and there are no miniskirts, but 399 for a month's use of their equipment is a good deal. Not sure if the promotion is still on, but you might want to check it out.

Hey all... I will be back in CM for a month this summer and will definitely be hitting the gym hard. I used to go to the municipal gym for free weights (very bare bones but just what I needed).

Wondering where the muni gym is located? Since I am always riding my bicycle around CM, if I was near one, I might pop up for a few reps.

Are there other free facilities with free weights, CMU or others perhaps. I currently use a multiplastic bag with 6 1 1/2 liter bottles.

Wondering where the muni gym is located? Since I am always riding my bicycle around CM, if I was near one, I might pop up for a few reps.

Are there other free facilities with free weights, CMU or others perhaps. I currently use a multiplastic bag with 6 1 1/2 liter bottles.

The municipal gym has free weights but it's not a free facility. Still, it's cheap and basic. The weight room is located under the municipal stadium seats. From Chang Phuek gate go north & take a right by the white elephants/bus station. The stadium is a short ways down on the left.

• 4 weeks later...
California Wow at Airport Plaza has all those things and more. A couple of months ago they were running a special one month trial membership for 399 Baht. The music can get annoying and there are no miniskirts, but 399 for a month's use of their equipment is a good deal. Not sure if the promotion is still on, but you might want to check it out.

The promotion is still on, though it took a moderate amount of work to get to it.

Went yesterday and got hit with the hard sell--something like 4000 baht "joining fee", and several thousand baht per month after that, with a minimum two year contract. Price kept coming down and they finally quoted 399 for a month, and I promised to reconsider at the end of the month if I wanted a year long membership.

Hours are from eight in morning til 10 at night. Went early this morning and had to use a service entrance to get in--the mall wasn't open yet. Plenty of treadmills and cycling machines, got in on the weights though it was a bit crowded for a few moments. Nice locker and shower facilities. Not much eye candy, unfortunately, but a great workout.

Archived