Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

I left Fitness Thailand for most of the reasons listed above. Crowded as hell now, and mostly because idiots are chatting rather than lifting (no not just a 30-60sec rest between sets) Taking pictures of themselves in the mirrors, etc etc.

Found a new and small place, signed up for 4 months we'll see how it goes. I worry about it increasing in size too quickly as it's quite small, but very neatly kept, unlike Powerhouse where the clients are too ignorant to know how to put back a dumbbell on it's labeled rack...

On a side note, Has anyone been to Harris over at KSK? Not Kawee (a gym that was fine 5 years ago, but horrid now).

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gym on top of Rimping Superstore is supposed to be very well equiped.

Agreed. Those two places are the best in Chiang Mai.

The gym on top of Rimping supermarket near Novotel is called Fitness Thailand.

Nothing better available at the moment.

i heard fitness thailand thats above rimping is building a new gym somewhere near carrefour. Chiangmai Business Park to be more precise with a swimming pool, and everything you can find in a good gym. anyone heard of this?

WorldClub at Hangdong was wonderful place to be at until it closed its doors end of last year to Grace Int. School.

~

How about the new place right across the street from the airport? Or is that one of the ones being discussed here?

Hey guys. I'm living in Hang Dong (well right on the border between Chaing Mai and Hang Dong by the Night Safari and Doikham Panorama). For me location is huge. Saving 10min each way can make or break fitness plans (especially avoiding traffic getting through or around the moat).

So I'd really appreciate more details about gyms near the airport. I know these quotes are very old. The Rimping supermarket is more or less right next to the airport correct? But when I googled Fitness Thailand I got this place http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/index.php which is north of the moat and 15min commute each way for me. Also it's the place I see most people complaining about in recent posts. Did Fitness Thailand move locations or is there still a gym above the Rimping supermarket? Also is this other gym "across the street from the airport" still open? If so what is it called and where exactly is it? Easy to spot?

I have a basket ball court near my building for pull ups, free cardio outside, all kinds of things I can do for upper body for free, but I really need is a squat rack. A real one, meaning the full cage with the adjustable metal rods. Any gym that has this a couple benches and dumbbells that go up to 130 would be fine for me. I'd happily give up all the frills and gimmicks to shave off 20min round trip.

That said I would like a place to bring the gf sometimes. Where she can do 20min cardio then hang out by a nice outdoor pool while I finish working out. So basically I'm interested in any information you guys could provide.

By the way. I'm planning to just start touring the gym. One every week on leg day. Kill two birds with one stone, check out the facilities and kill a leg workout in one trip.

What are these gyms like wrt to drop in fees for single workout? I was thinking of starting with Powerhouse.

• 7 months later...

Nothing has changed?

Expensive Powerhouse and crowded Fitness Thailand?

A combination of crowds and lack of gym etiquette make Fitness Thailand a frustrating place to exercise in the evening. The management still puts a much higher priority on televisions than maintenance.

I haven't checked Powerhouse for awhile, but I assume it is still more expensive than Fitness Thailand, smaller but better maintained, and sometimes crowded as well.

It's been years since I happily left the Hillside 4 gym, at the time they had useless staff, very old equipment, dim lighting, and few if any of the aerobic exercise machines worked properly. Unless they've done a major overhaul I wouldn't bother with them.

Supposedly the Maya shopping center will open a high end, very expensive gym. I don't know when.

The gym situation in Chiang Mai is not good.

In the Nimmanhaemin area I believe the gym at Kantary Hills hotel has memberships available. Not huge, but decent, great swimming pool that gets sunshine (so the water isn't always cold like many) and a more upscale atmosphere than many other options. No idea what they charge. I stayed at the hotel once and there seemed to be many locals using the gym.

• 4 months later...

I left CM for a year and was hoping to read about a new fitness club. I had lived in CM the previous 3 years and the nicest club or the closest to America was Cali Wow. It wasn't cheap but I didn't care because it was clean and they maintained fairly well before they closed a few months before I left.

Fitness Thailand sucks but deadly that was the last place I worked out before I left...I hated when Thai ladies would chat on their cell phones when I was trying to do cardio next to them at WOW and at Fitness Thailand the dudes grunt and have no gym manners. FT is dirty as hell and the equipment was horrible. I miss the hell out of Thailand but that place would be the absolute worst gym in Seattle.

With the size of Chiang Mai, it blows my mind that there really isn't a place that caters to clients willing to pay more. I was actually going to email a couple of the 5 star hotels to find out if I could buy a membership. Sounds like when I move back to CM I will have to slum it to get a good workout.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I left CM for a year and was hoping to read about a new fitness club. I had lived in CM the previous 3 years and the nicest club or the closest to America was Cali Wow. It wasn't cheap but I didn't care because it was clean and they maintained fairly well before they closed a few months before I left.

Fitness Thailand sucks but deadly that was the last place I worked out before I left...I hated when Thai ladies would chat on their cell phones when I was trying to do cardio next to them at WOW and at Fitness Thailand the dudes grunt and have no gym manners. FT is dirty as hell and the equipment was horrible. I miss the hell out of Thailand but that place would be the absolute worst gym in Seattle.

With the size of Chiang Mai, it blows my mind that there really isn't a place that caters to clients willing to pay more. I was actually going to email a couple of the 5 star hotels to find out if I could buy a membership. Sounds like when I move back to CM I will have to slum it to get a good workout.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

When you get back to Chiang Mai rather than suffering and bitching you can go to the five star hotels and ask them.

Walk it is good exercise and you will see quite a bit of Chiang Mai as you get your cardio with out the nattering people around you.

Highly inflammatory post removed'

Read forum rules

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

Highly inflammatory post removed'

Read forum rules

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

I guess you missed his post? Calling a spade a spade, FYI walking isn't a cardio workout so John should stick to things he knows like dating bar girls and drunk less evening. HTH

Sent from my iPad

I've been using powerhouse for about 9 months. Year membership was 12k, which is reasonable.

Staff are nice, it's clean but a little small and no pool.

Oh, and they've no punch bag which is really a low tech cheap piece of equipment.

I've been using powerhouse for about 9 months. Year membership was 12k, which is reasonable.

Staff are nice, it's clean but a little small and no pool.

Oh, and they've no punch bag which is really a low tech cheap piece of equipment.

Sent from my iPad

I'm still trying to figure this app but I will for sure check out powerhouse since that is the area I usually live near Kad S K...that to those suggesting powerhouse.

Sent from my iPad

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this thread? My wife is looking for a gym which is clean and has machines and fitness classes rather than weight orientated, she would prefer a more female orientated gym if there is such a thing.

I used the Harris gym in the Lotus hotel for two months, there were lots of women working out there. They have individual training for members and a aerobic room with female trainers. Bonus is parking at Kad Suan Kaew, you never have to go out in the rain.

There is a new gym going up right now on Chiang Mai/Lampang Rd. called Chiang Mai Fight Fit. The Thai owner has a lot of expat friends who apparently gave him input as to what expats like in a good gym. I know nothing else other than the name and they do have a Facebook page showing the construction along with a map. Just search for the name on FB. Looks like the website is not up and running yet.

Apparently Powerhouse gym is moving to Hang Dong soon. I suspected something was up when they actually offered me a decent deal on a 1 year membership without me having to haggle a bunch.

Wow really! What did you get? They knocked off a measely 500 bht for my year membership. When are they moving locations? Thats actually probably better for them as i personally cant stand the tiny little areas for people....maybe they are getting a bigger space. But sucks for me as i chose the spot as its near my home.

Apparently Powerhouse gym is moving to Hang Dong soon. I suspected something was up when they actually offered me a decent deal on a 1 year membership without me having to haggle a bunch.

Wow really! What did you get? They knocked off a measely 500 bht for my year membership. When are they moving locations? Thats actually probably better for them as i personally cant stand the tiny little areas for people....maybe they are getting a bigger space. But sucks for me as i chose the spot as its near my home.

They offered me 10,700 baht for a year which you normally can get, but only after haggling with that annoying front desk woman.

She never seems particularly friendly or interested in her job, except when it comes sales/membership negotiating. You'll see her light right up when your membership is close to expiring. I suspect the desk girls get a % of whatever they sell you a membership for.

There is a new gym going up right now on Chiang Mai/Lampang Rd. called Chiang Mai Fight Fit. The Thai owner has a lot of expat friends who apparently gave him input as to what expats like in a good gym. I know nothing else other than the name and they do have a Facebook page showing the construction along with a map. Just search for the name on FB. Looks like the website is not up and running yet.

I checked them out on Facebook. They are into the martial arts from what I could see there. Several different styles all the way down to or up to depending on your point of view Yoga.

I have read many different threads on gyms. Always wondering where they have a gym for general purpose like the Central Dongtawhan. Sorry about the spelling it is on Loi Kroh near the night bazaar. It had every thing I needed for just general work out the problem was they did not keep it in condition. Many of the gyms I see discussed are the same not kept in condition dirty or the poster is looking for one where he can become a body builder.

It would also be nice to find one with a qualified trainer who does more than chat with he girls. Don't need continual monitoring just get me a set to keep me in shape.

That wouldn't do the business any better. Who would want to go through the bottle neck of that road each morning or evening!

I believe Powerhouse isn't moving, but, rather, is opening up another branch near 'The Game'.

This.

You can see a picture of my car on the poster for the new gym location. I just happened to be parked there when they rolled up and took the photo. This fact alone gives me first hand knowledge and credibility to post here. I should be taken seriously.

I have asked the lady at Nimman several times, but they have no answers regarding what the rates will be, or if your membership from Nimman Powerhouse will allow you to use Kad Farang Powerhouse.

Further they are also building a "Health Club" somehwere else. But It's not a gym...??

Further and moreover, the new gym at Kad Farange is a "boutique" gym. The space it will be in is pretty small looking.

But don't worry. There will be promotions coming soon.

The Powerhouse at Kad Farang is supposed to Open November 25th

Rgs

SM

Any one have used the Mini Gym (brand new and its name) on the middle ring road between Rimping and NIS - north side?

small and no pool but everything is new and clean. mainly cardio and machine weights with virtually no free weights..Towels and day lockers included

Expensive at 24K a year but might give it a 3 month (2,600 Baht a month) trial as location is great for me...

Any feedback?

Archived