Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

There is another hotel opening very soon in the Night Bazaar across the street from Starbucks and Burger King that is supposed to have a good gym. Anyone know the name (which I think is French)?

Le Meridian is opening soon and rumored to have a good gym with a pool.

Le Meridien

The gym at Centara Duangtawan (4th Floor) is great. Good equipment, steam bath, sauna, jacuzzi, beautiful pool with a fantastic view over the Doi Suthep and the City, not too crowded. Membership 7,500 K or 8'000 K / year. Membership also includes a card with special discounts on food, drinks and accommodation at the hotel.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO the gym at Centara Duangtawan is not all that great. The jacuzzi is almost always cold - so useless - and the swimming pool is very shallow and L shaped, so it is often filled with kids playing games and making swimming laps very difficult. Also, the equipment is OK, but not a lot of it, so it can be difficult using some of the machines as some members use them for over an hour at a time. :o

I wonder when is the best time to use California WOW though. I just don't like it when its so crowded. Early morning or late night or mid-day? Thanks.

BTW, if you are looking for membership, try to get a lifetime membership as it is really cheap (I got mine for only 15000 and it can be used at all California WOWs in the country)

I wonder when is the best time to use California WOW though. I just don't like it when its so crowded. Early morning or late night or mid-day? Thanks.

BTW, if you are looking for membership, try to get a lifetime membership as it is really cheap (I got mine for only 15000 and it can be used at all California WOWs in the country)

I've been going every day this week, from about 8 am until 11 am, and while there are plenty of people, it is not so crowded that I can't get on a treadmill or cycle. Even at that early hour it seems the treadmills up front are mostly filled up, but the ones upstairs are mostly empty. Haven't been there during other hours...

• 2 months later...

I'm very happy with the Powerhouse Gym (near the Amari Rincome). Joined a couple of months back. But then I'm trying to get fit again, and fluffy towels/jacuzzis are always conducive to that goal.

For a modern, properly equipped gym without the frilly extras, various group fitness courses, and enthusiast qualified personal trainers for those prepared to pay a bit more, it fits the bill for me.

I was looking for a Gym around 6 months ago and could only really find fitness centers, which to be honest was not really what I wanted. I then was told about the Gym at Tanawan 2 complex, its perfect for free weights and just basic weight training, there is some cardio machines such as rowing and running machines but also alot of free weights which is what i wanted. I joined after visiting a few times, it cost me 960 bhat for the year that includes a membership for the full size swimming pool, with the membership each session is only 20 bhat without it its 50 bhat each session for the gym and 40 for the pool. I went at different times to start with then i worked out its usually empty when it opens at 7am well apart from me. gets a bit busy around 9ish then thats it until 5pm then its gets a little busy. it closes each night at 8pm. the only downside to it really is that it closes on a Monday.

When I swam at the Amari I was a guest of the hotel. What a pool though.

They use to have outside memberships but no longer.

One of the outside members who was no longer able to swim at the Amari built his own pool. I understand he sells memberships for

swimming in his private pool. I heard it is one nice pool, anyone know where this pool might be?

One of my near term goals besides buying a new mountain bike is to find this pool.

We move to CM this September.

Thanks in advance

I was looking for a Gym around 6 months ago and could only really find fitness centers, which to be honest was not really what I wanted. I then was told about the Gym at Tanawan 2 complex, its perfect for free weights and just basic weight training, there is some cardio machines such as rowing and running machines but also alot of free weights which is what i wanted. I joined after visiting a few times, it cost me 960 bhat for the year that includes a membership for the full size swimming pool, with the membership each session is only 20 bhat without it its 50 bhat each session for the gym and 40 for the pool. I went at different times to start with then i worked out its usually empty when it opens at 7am well apart from me. gets a bit busy around 9ish then thats it until 5pm then its gets a little busy. it closes each night at 8pm. the only downside to it really is that it closes on a Monday.

I live just around the corner..it takes me less than 4 minutes to walk there.

I might just see ya, look for the "mini-whale" bobbing around towards the deep end..

I wish the TV upstairs had a DVD player on it though..

I might just see ya, look for the "mini-whale" bobbing around towards the deep end..

Where exactly is the Tanawan 2 complex?

Today wife and I went to California Wow, well, wow, not bad and the girls that work there WOW O WOW, also a real hard sell, but I'm used to be in sales and understood.

We like Platinum the most and they had the best deal and a pool to boot, but, Powerhouse has a better location. My wife loves the yoga classes which all 3 had to offer. They all had their advantages. Decisions, decisons.

Where exactly is the Tanawan 2 complex?

Never mind, I found directions to it in another thread.

yep hope to see you in there, agree with you about the upstairs t.v, i usually just have my ipod on. to find me just look for the equally sized white guy usually in the shallow end avoiding dive bombing kids..... :o

• 2 months later...

I was at the platinum fitness today and wanted to join together with my wife (I was there last year and I liked it) but they turned us away and told they only sell day passes (at 400 THB ^^). A gym that is not selling memberships anymore? something must be really wrong, will they be out of business soon?

Now I'm looking for a new fitness center. The one at the nordwest corner of the inner city (tawan bowling center) looked terrible... I'm not looking for free weights. I don't like california wow because it is in a shopping mall. What's left? Maybe I take a look at powerhouse gym.

I looked at powerhouse and it is a joke and way overpriced unless you join for a year. Relax-Land in the south of the city seems to be a meeting point for gays rather than a fitness center (and they don't open before noon anyway). So next I will look for fitness thailand (their webpage looks good)... if everything else fails, we will have to buy day passes at platinum then.

• 2 weeks later...
Could anyone tell me if any of the hotels in Chiang Mai have top-tier fitness centers equal to the JW Marriot in Bangkok? Is there any place with equipment similar to Fitness First or California Wow? I just returned from Powerhouse which I was told was the best in Chaing Mai and found it only just adequate. Thanks!

Could anyone tell me if any of the hotels in Chiang Mai have top-tier fitness centers equal to the JW Marriot in Bangkok? Is there any place with equipment similar to Fitness First or California Wow? I just returned from Powerhouse which I was told was the best in Chaing Mai and found it only just adequate. Thanks!

california wow is on the 4th floor of the airport plaza , its a good gym about the right size and has everything, only problem and its the same accross the board with them, is the marketing, u cant just join, u gotta go though an hours worth of marketing to get a price!!!

once thats over with though., your quids in. quiet too, nothing like the BKK ones.

Does anyone know about this? Is Platinum Fitness in trouble? I heard they may be closing in December, but would open after the new year.

I was at the platinum fitness today and wanted to join together with my wife (I was there last year and I liked it) but they turned us away and told they only sell day passes (at 400 THB ^^). A gym that is not selling memberships anymore? something must be really wrong, will they be out of business soon?

Now I'm looking for a new fitness center. The one at the nordwest corner of the inner city (tawan bowling center) looked terrible... I'm not looking for free weights. I don't like california wow because it is in a shopping mall. What's left? Maybe I take a look at powerhouse gym.

I have been a member of the Centara Hotel (formerly Duangtawan Hotel) fitness center for three years. I went through the messages in this thread, and seems the last mention of this fitness center was several months ago, so I'll update with my own recent experiences and impressions.

The fitness center is on the 4th. floor of the hotel which is on Loy Kroh Road near the intersection with Changklan (i.e. in the Night Bazaar area, west of the Ping River). Hours : 6am to 10pm seven days a week, open all Thai holidays. As you might expect crowded from 4PM on to 8:30PM most days except Saturday, Sunday night. Waiting time for a treadmill can be long (see below for more comment on treadmills).

Large swimming pool is L-shaped, and can be crowded with kids afternoons, weekends, as one poster commented. Good for laps when not crowded, but turn-around complicated by steps. Not the ideal place for a lap-swimmer.

Membership around 8k baht per year, try and negotiate for slightly lower. I am not sure what memberships for half-year or less are going for. They've recently had a promotion recently of 799 baht per month paid by the month, and some members are upset about this, feeling the place is too crowded, but it's hard for me to sort out the impact of this new membership promoton from occasional crowding from when the hotel is (seldom) really fully occupied or busy, so I'm not sure about this.

For fifty baht you can get a sticker for your car allowing you to park in the hotel's parking garage which is very handy.

Both men's and women's dressing rooms contain showers, steam room (usually nice and hot), jacuzzi (never hot enough, as one poster on this thread commented already), two saunas (one of which is usually red-hot, just the way I like it). Dressing room can be crowded, lockers awkward to get to when crowded, but this doesn't bother me. Unfortunately, I have never yet been able to fully experience the women's dressing room, so my comments apply only to the men's dressing room :o

Staff are great ! Very friendly, courteous, non-intrusive. You won't, however, to my knowledge, find staff members who are able to be personal trainers or competent coaches. They went out of their way to be kind to me, and show a gracious concern, during the time after I was going through cancer treatment and looked kind of "skeletal." The manager went out of his way to suspend-extend my membership five months (free) when I was unable to work out for five months due to cancer treatment side-effects (I did have to provide a letter from my doctor).

Equipment : large separate free-weight room now in what used to be the aerobic room. aerobic room re-located to the other side of the hotel (hooray), but even when it was on the equipment side, the sound insulation was good. large separate room with many of the cam-based exercise machines (pro quality) that allow you to isolate one muscle group at a time and get even resistance through the whole range of motion without "ballistic" impact (that's important to older [65] people like me who are concerned about protection from any injury to joints, sinews, tendons, ligaments, fascial sheaths, etc. : i.e., we are not "free-weight-fanatics").

Central large room has a wide range of dumb-bells, ab machines, four pro quality treadmills (two of which have recently had problems where the "elevation" function wasn't working). Many other bicycle, ellliptical trainers. Rowing machine ? : I don't remember.

Because I have tinnitus in my ears, I wear ear-plugs when on the treadmill : all the treadmills are near a teevee which, as you might expect [TIT]. is often loud in addition to music playing (sometimes loud). Staff are open to turning down the music to a reasonable level on request.

A few years ago I went to the Orchid Hotel fitness center. Great swimming pool. Unbearable noise level during aerobic classes, indifferent to somewhat hostile staff, saunas often not cleaned. I also went to Hillside 4 where I found staff indifferent, equipment reasonable, dressing room way too small and crowded, saunas non-functional.

I highly recommend the Centara/Duangtawan fitness center.

regards, ~o:37

If you use aerobic machines it has become very difficult to find a free machine due to too many members at the Centara/Duangtawan and people using certain machines for 2 hours at a time. I have tried changing my hours, but find other members doing the same thing and still no machines available.

The staff say that they want to stop signing up so many members, but upper management won't listen. I'm looking for a health club where I don't have to wait in line for long periods! :o

• 4 weeks later...

Archived