Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone give a recomendation for a gym to the south of the city? I'm on Chang Klan road near Chiang Mai land village. Primarily interested in weights in an aircon environment.

Maybe try the new luxury Shangrila Hotel while they are desperate for money and don't have many customers? They seem to be offering lots of discounts on buffets.

Tell us what you think if you check it out. :o

Shangrila is, for now, by far the best in Chiang Mai ( I think I've looked at them all) if you are looking for a quality spa-like gym. The equipment is the basic Life Fitness hotel package plus some free weights, but the amenities and comfort level are pretty high.

When I stopped by early last month they were still figuring out the price, but I seem to remember 24K per year was mentioned......

There is another hotel opening very soon in the Night Bazaar across the street from Starbucks and Burger King that is supposed to have a good gym. Anyone know the name (which I think is French)?

Im looking for somewhere with nice steam rooms, jacuzzi, sauna and luxurious fluffy towels.

You know the sort of place - somewhere one can truly relax and unwind. In BKK i was a member of the capitol club in Sukhumvit Soi 24. Really liked that place.

Any similar places in CM?

Are you looking for a gym? or a spa?

• 2 weeks later...
We've been more than happy with the Platinum Fitness Club. Located on Mae Rim Road just across from the Lana Golf Course.

It is a good size pool, four studios (spinning, kick boxing,yoga and aerobics) and a sauna. It has about 20 treadmills, 10 step machines

a number of bikes and TV monitors for all the treadmills. Lockers and showers are adequate. Juice bar is nice and nice size lobby

area. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. Cost 10,000B per year (8,000B if over 55) and no monthly fees or fees for

classes. It is also not very busy from 7:00 to 4:00, don't go evenings so can't comment on that. Large parking lot is also a plus.

Contact me if you've got questions. JOHN :o

Does Platinum have website?

There is another hotel opening very soon in the Night Bazaar across the street from Starbucks and Burger King that is supposed to have a good gym. Anyone know the name (which I think is French)?

Le Meridian is opening soon and rumored to have a good gym with a pool.

Platinum is a great gym, and a great deal at 8K for 55+ members.

If I wasn't addicted to the convenience (and friendships with fellow members) at Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel, whose facilities pale in comparison to Platinum.....ah well!

CM Orchid is also 8K/yr. Somewhat shopworn gym, lockers/showers so so. But a great 20 meter pool, with lots of sun all day. And it is right next to Central KSK, so I find it very convenient to go there, do my workout, swim, sun, etc.- then walk next door on a daily basis to do all necessary shopping.

I've timed it; if I catch all the lights it is 5 minutes from my front door.

Others who live in different parts of town will be no doubt better served by newer/closer gyms.....

• 1 month later...

Hey all... I will be back in CM for a month this summer and will definitely be hitting the gym hard. I used to go to the municipal gym for free weights (very bare bones but just what I needed) and hit the streets for running.

However, lately I've been running on a treadmill and then cycling a whole bunch, then hitting the weights.

So... I've gone through all the threads here and can't find the consolidated info--is there a gym that has treadmills, cycling machines, and free weights? And will quote a price for a one month membership?

So far it looks like Platinum is what I am looking for--anyone know if they fit the above criteria?

Oh--and does anyone know if the mini-skirted lasses are back at work?

[quote name='mild7even' date='2008-05-22 07:38:05' post='1993367'

So... I've gone through all the threads here and can't find the consolidated info--is there a gym that has treadmills, cycling machines, and free weights? And will quote a price for a one month membership?

California Wow at Airport Plaza has all those things and more. A couple of months ago they were running a special one month trial membership for 399 Baht. The music can get annoying and there are no miniskirts, but 399 for a month's use of their equipment is a good deal. Not sure if the promotion is still on, but you might want to check it out.

Hey all... I will be back in CM for a month this summer and will definitely be hitting the gym hard. I used to go to the municipal gym for free weights (very bare bones but just what I needed).

Wondering where the muni gym is located? Since I am always riding my bicycle around CM, if I was near one, I might pop up for a few reps.

Are there other free facilities with free weights, CMU or others perhaps. I currently use a multiplastic bag with 6 1 1/2 liter bottles.

Wondering where the muni gym is located? Since I am always riding my bicycle around CM, if I was near one, I might pop up for a few reps.

Are there other free facilities with free weights, CMU or others perhaps. I currently use a multiplastic bag with 6 1 1/2 liter bottles.

The municipal gym has free weights but it's not a free facility. Still, it's cheap and basic. The weight room is located under the municipal stadium seats. From Chang Phuek gate go north & take a right by the white elephants/bus station. The stadium is a short ways down on the left.

• 4 weeks later...
California Wow at Airport Plaza has all those things and more. A couple of months ago they were running a special one month trial membership for 399 Baht. The music can get annoying and there are no miniskirts, but 399 for a month's use of their equipment is a good deal. Not sure if the promotion is still on, but you might want to check it out.

The promotion is still on, though it took a moderate amount of work to get to it.

Went yesterday and got hit with the hard sell--something like 4000 baht "joining fee", and several thousand baht per month after that, with a minimum two year contract. Price kept coming down and they finally quoted 399 for a month, and I promised to reconsider at the end of the month if I wanted a year long membership.

Hours are from eight in morning til 10 at night. Went early this morning and had to use a service entrance to get in--the mall wasn't open yet. Plenty of treadmills and cycling machines, got in on the weights though it was a bit crowded for a few moments. Nice locker and shower facilities. Not much eye candy, unfortunately, but a great workout.

Archived