Best Gym In Chiang Mai

ricklev

i know a very good GYM in chiang mai, only for serious bodybuilders but if i told you all it wouldn't be good anymore, too many people no good.

dam_n you....! :)

It's only for a week (and you can pm it me, won't tell anyone)

By the way I work out eraly in the morning 06 - 07 am, especially to avoid waiting in line (so I understand your frustration)

I might actually need a spotter (are you in....) :D

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what do you try to achieve by going to the gym? no i dont want to hear weight loss...

bigger biceps, wider trapezoid? want to look bulk and look like a gorilla? like the feeling when hanging around in town/malls showing your figure?

will that be a problem when you get old? like clint eastwood looks really saggy now... muscle shrunk or something? also how about joint problems? i read somewhere, oldy rugby players get like joint, cartridge problems.

my place got that one machine that does 4-5 stuff. instead of doing painful situps, lifting,pulling 100kgs will also train ur core right?

also how do you burn fat on ur bum? i heard bum (gluteus maximus) got the strongest muscles in human body... yummmooooooooo....

so if u train ur bum, u will have big ass? not fat but all muscle???? lol, jean calude van damme got a big ass! WOW looks like a horses one... :D:D:D:D:D:):D:D

also... arnie swazneggar didnt do cardio training right? like running?

what do you try to achieve by going to the gym? no i dont want to hear weight loss...

bigger biceps, wider trapezoid? want to look bulk and look like a gorilla? like the feeling when hanging around in town/malls showing your figure?

will that be a problem when you get old? like clint eastwood looks really saggy now... muscle shrunk or something? also how about joint problems? i read somewhere, oldy rugby players get like joint, cartridge problems.

my place got that one machine that does 4-5 stuff. instead of doing painful situps, lifting,pulling 100kgs will also train ur core right?

also how do you burn fat on ur bum? i heard bum (gluteus maximus) got the strongest muscles in human body... yummmooooooooo....

so if u train ur bum, u will have big ass? not fat but all muscle???? lol, jean calude van damme got a big ass! WOW looks like a horses one... :D:D:D:D:D:):D:D

What are you trying to achieve by posting here?

LOL :cheesy:

Hi guys.

I'll be heading to Chiang Mai in June, but would like to know the name of the gym I'll be using for that 1 week.

I'm into heavy weights, so heavy dumbbells and plenty of barbells + plates are the biggest priority.

Do Chiang Mai have a hardcore Bodybuilding gym?

Cheers

Dan

Try Hillside 4 condo.... I bench press 180KG and they have sufficient weights for me.... unfortunately the dumbells are only 40KG....

Cheers :)

Hi guys.

I'll be heading to Chiang Mai in June, but would like to know the name of the gym I'll be using for that 1 week.

I'm into heavy weights, so heavy dumbbells and plenty of barbells + plates are the biggest priority.

Do Chiang Mai have a hardcore Bodybuilding gym?

Cheers

Dan

Try Hillside 4 condo.... I bench press 180KG and they have sufficient weights for me.... unfortunately the dumbells are only 40KG....

Cheers :)

Thanks mate!

I think Powerhouse is the best gym in town. They have quality equipment, not overcrowded, open early in the morning (6am) for the early birds, nice locker rooms and sauna, free wifi, very clean, and best overall feel to the club. Everyone has their opinion. That's mine.

• 1 month later...
Do you guys konw of any place that sells good food supplements in Chaing Mai. Is it possible to buy good protein shakes, creatine, vitamins (eas, twinlab etc.) anywhere??

Also a good natural testesterone booster called Long Jack-Tongkat Ali grows naturaly in Thailand.. so I wonder where I could buy that?

hi keyser

if you want brandname bodybuilding supplements (optimum, controlled labs, usplabs, sns, nutrabio, LG science, meridian) in chiangmai with reasonal prices

contact customer service:

add me for sups advise .

for supplement information and training routine you can look at www.bodybuilding.com is a good one.

have a nice day. :)

700 YEAR stadium has 2 gyms, the better one is open from 3-8pm.

Only place with pneumatic equipment which allows you to adjust the load on each machine with your finger tips.

Membership 500 THB per year which includes usage of the Olympic sized pool,

plus 50 THB when the gym is actually used, 30 THB if 60 years.

Lots of sporty young Thais there. Good trainers, sports students.

I love it

there is a california wow here. Good gym. But so trendy is kind of ruins it. U can get various membership packages but they will completely try to "sell" the gym to you.

Once u get over the fact that they are sales people its ok, but u have to get past that first, and it is so ####### annoying.

A lot of people like California Wow with lots of good equipment and private TVs on many of the machines. In some of the other gyms that have one TV, if you want to watch something entertaining while working out, you often have to watch Thai TV or whatever was on before you got there.

• 4 weeks later...

I went and checked out California Wow and thought I would post my experience.

I met with a membership "counselor" who explained all the fees and such and tried to close me on a one-year membership. The best price I could get her to quote was B12K (CNX only) for one year and she told me I should sign up on the day because the price was increasing to B15K the following day :) I got her to give me a 7-day trial; I recommend anyone joining a gym to get a trial so you can check out the whole experience of the place.

The experience overall was negative for the following reasons:

1. Parking at Central is a PIA even on the best of days, so getting a parking place and then negotiating your way through the mall to the top floor takes some time, both coming and going.

2. General attitude of the staff is crap and I had a hard time getting my questions answered. I suppose once you get the place figured out, you wouldn't have many questions at a gym so this is a small issue.

3. The lockers are too small for a helmet to fit inside unless you use one of those useless pudding bowl style skull caps. This is a deal-breaker as I always ride a bike.

4. The locker room is big and clean but really uncomfortable and crowded. There are groups of dapper young chaps hanging around chatting and checking themselves and others out - if you know what I mean. I'm not a homophobe by any means, but in a gym, get changed, showered and get the fug out.

5. I asked for a towel and was told that if you want to use the gym's towel service you have to pay an additional B3K per year or supply your own towel(s) :D I've had many gym memberships and never been asked to supply my own towel.

On the plus side, they have lots of quality free weights and machines and cardio equipment. They also have rooms for aerobics, spinning and yoga if that's what you're into. Also, if you like hanging around the mall, I suppose that could be a plus.

I definitely will NOT be joining this particular gym.

I went and checked out California Wow and thought I would post my experience.

I met with a membership "counselor" who explained all the fees and such and tried to close me on a one-year membership. The best price I could get her to quote was B12K (CNX only) for one year and she told me I should sign up on the day because the price was increasing to B15K the following day :) I got her to give me a 7-day trial; I recommend anyone joining a gym to get a trial so you can check out the whole experience of the place.

The experience overall was negative for the following reasons:

1. Parking at Central is a PIA even on the best of days, so getting a parking place and then negotiating your way through the mall to the top floor takes some time, both coming and going.

2. General attitude of the staff is crap and I had a hard time getting my questions answered. I suppose once you get the place figured out, you wouldn't have many questions at a gym so this is a small issue.

3. The lockers are too small for a helmet to fit inside unless you use one of those useless pudding bowl style skull caps. This is a deal-breaker as I always ride a bike.

4. The locker room is big and clean but really uncomfortable and crowded. There are groups of dapper young chaps hanging around chatting and checking themselves and others out - if you know what I mean. I'm not a homophobe by any means, but in a gym, get changed, showered and get the fug out.

5. I asked for a towel and was told that if you want to use the gym's towel service you have to pay an additional B3K per year or supply your own towel(s) :D I've had many gym memberships and never been asked to supply my own towel.

On the plus side, they have lots of quality free weights and machines and cardio equipment. They also have rooms for aerobics, spinning and yoga if that's what you're into. Also, if you like hanging around the mall, I suppose that could be a plus.

I definitely will NOT be joining this particular gym.

Lucky you did not sign the contract with them then,went there just to check it out and turned the 7 days free trial offer down. Still receive irritating special offer from them by phone now and again. I was told by their present members that they were stupid to signed up life contract with FOS gym.

• 1 month later...

Two questions: 1) Could someone please say where is California Wow? 2) Where exactly is the gym on Nimenhaemin and what's it called?

Today I checked out 3 gyms in the Kad Suan Kaew area.

First was Fitness First, located on the 7th floor of a white high-rise just behind and north of Computer Plaza and Icon Plaza, from Kad Suan Keow diagonally north and east past the big intersection. They quoted as follows:

1 month 1200 B

3 month 3500 B

6 month 5500 B

1 year 7500 B

I was non-committal, and by the time I left, the 1-year price was dropped to 6500. I suspect it could go lower. It's a huge space, with a large room for classes, and some big windows with good views. I was there mid-day, and it wasn't crowded at all. I think I was told that if you pay for 1 month, your fee can be applied toward a longer membership later on. There was no pool.

Then I went to the C.M. Orchid Hotel, just west of Kad Suan Kaew Shoping Center on Huay Kaew. They have a small gym on the 4th floor, not the latest and greatest . The monthly fee is 1200 B. I think the annual fee might be 8000 but I'm not sure.

Finally I found the Kamee Powerhouse gym on the 3rd floor of Kad Suan Kaew. They had lots of good equipment packed into a small space. Even at 2 pm there were a fair amount of people. They have some classes.

The rate is 50 B for one day, 800 B for a month, 1300 for 2 months, 1700 for 3 months, 3000 for 6 months, and 5000 for one year. That's in print; I don't know if there's room to negotiate. There was no pool.

Hope this helps someone.

T

Finally I found the Kamee Powerhouse gym on the 3rd floor of Kad Suan Kaew. They had lots of good equipment packed into a small space. Even at 2 pm there were a fair amount of people. They have some classes.

The rate is 50 B for one day, 800 B for a month, 1300 for 2 months, 1700 for 3 months, 3000 for 6 months, and 5000 for one year. That's in print; I don't know if there's room to negotiate. There was no pool.

Hope this helps someone.

the price is good there but the gym kind sucks. First it costs to park there every day. Second out of 6 treadmills only 2 ever work. third they don't have enough weights, if you don't go at around lunch, it's too busy someone is always using the plates or dumbbells you need. There's always someone on the smith machine benching 20 kilos.....so don't think your every going to be able to do squats, cause they don't have a squat rack either.

Two questions: 1) Could someone please say where is California Wow? 2) Where exactly is the gym on Nimenhaemin and what's it called?

1) It's in Central Airport Plaza on the same floor as Major Cineplex (the top floor?)

2) If you mean Powerhouse Gym, it's on Nimmanhaemin Soi 6 about 200 meters up on the left hand side in Punna Plaza.

Kawee Gym at Kad Suan Kaew:

Can use the large swimming pool on rooftop for 50 Baht extra per visit...... I used (and may use again until I find the gym I like) their 10 visit coupon within 20 days for 350 Baht.

----------------------------------------

Which summing pool is being referred to at KSK? Is it the super-nice one on the 7th floor of PSK Lotus Hotel, attached to Kad Suan Kaew? That would be a pretty good deal for an occasional swim.

And, is there still a 350 Baht coupon?

Neither of these possibilities was mentioned to me on my recent visit. to Kawee Powerhouse. By the way, does membership at KSK Kamee Powerhouse entitle one to use the Nimanheiman Powerhouse, and vice-versa? Anyone know?

• 1 year later...

I am just bumping this to ask if anyone knows of a gym near where I live with some specific equipment. I live by the Holiday Inn (over the bridge from the south side of Chang Klan road). I need:

At least 100 pound dumbbells

A Power/Squat rack

A pull up bar

I don't care too much about anything else although these would also be nice:

Seated Calf Raise machine

Leg Curl Machine

Leg Extension machine

Cross pullys

A sauna

I don't care about AC, how old the equipment is, how cute the girls are and so on.

Right now I go to the gym in the Centara hotel but it doesn't really have the stuff that is most important to me. The gym that actually fits the bill is California Wow... and I'll end up signing up there if I have to... but I really don't want to have to go to the mall just to lift some weights. I'd even be willing to drive a bit further than this to avoid going to the mall every day.

Thanks a ton for any input.

I am just bumping this to ask if anyone knows of a gym near where I live with some specific equipment. I live by the Holiday Inn (over the bridge from the south side of Chang Klan road). I need:

A Power/Squat rack

A pull up bar

Leg Curl Machine

Leg Extension machine

Cross pullys

A sauna

I don't care about AC, how old the equipment is, how cute the girls are and so on.

Right now I go to the gym in the Centara hotel but it doesn't really have the stuff that is most important to me. The gym that actually fits the bill is California Wow... and I'll end up signing up there if I have to... but I really don't want to have to go to the mall just to lift some weights. I'd even be willing to drive a bit further than this to avoid going to the mall every day.

Fitness Thailand is a proper gym and would suit your needs, lots of a heavy duty equipment although i'm not too sure about the 100lb dumbells as i only ever get up to the10 pounders :lol::D

• 2 months later...

I went into California wow today with the intention of signing up for 3 months.

They had advertised a 4000 baht/3 month deal on their website but they wouldn't not honor it.

They tried to get me to pay nearly 7000 baht for the 3 months, which doesn't even make sense.

There's clearly Thai pricing and "Falang" pricing here.

It sucks because it's the closest gym to where I'm living.

A Power/Squat rack

A pull up bar

Leg Curl Machine

Leg Extension machine

Cross pullys

A sauna

Have you tried Powerhouse Gym? I believe they would have everything you're looking for, though I'm not sure how heavy their dumbbells go up to. It's a lot nicer than Fitness Thailand.

They had advertised a 4000 baht/3 month deal on their website but they wouldn't not honor it.

They tried to get me to pay nearly 7000 baht for the 3 months, which doesn't even make sense.

Clear from what? Did a Thai inquire before or after you, and got a different price?

It sucks because it's the closest gym to where I'm living.

Not about thai farang, they try to squeeze everybody who walks in for money.

What they told you is way too much for chiang mai, they try as they get a provision if they can charge you more. 4000 b for 3months is also expensive for WOW. People in Bangkok got the lifetime memebership for about 12 000 baht, i only managed to get a year in bangkok for 12000, all i needen then. A year shouldnt be more than 6 000 in Chiang Mai. Dont know if they still do lifetime. Their sales tecnique is nasty though.

Fist one seller talks to you, asks you how much you can budget for the gym, and gives you crazy prices. Then you keep saying no to everything, and the sales rep goes and talks to the manages, gives you a lower price, you say no again, repeat this for a while and you mignht get a decent price. They tend to get less and less friently though the more you say no, some people quite rude. And dont settle for the cheaper prices they offer if you get the deal where you only can train daytime and not evening, You can get as cheap and get everything if you are stubborn.

Once you start training, if they ever offer you a free session of Muay Thai fitness or whatever they have going, decline....After the session you have to sit again with the sales staff, and they try to sell sell sell. And the trainer will afterward try to sell to you every time he sees you at the gym

• 2 months later...

Have checked out both Thai Fitness and Powerhouse (Punna). Both decent. Powerhouse looks newer and nicer. TF is cheaper and doesnt require a contract. TF is also much, much larger.

The dumbells in PH only go up to 75lbs.

The ones in TF go up to 50, but I never lifted them to see if it was kilos or pounds. Need to go back and check unless someone here knows.

Like the guy above, I'd prefer to find somewhere with 100lb dumbells.

Have checked out both Thai Fitness and Powerhouse (Punna). Both decent. Powerhouse looks newer and nicer. TF is cheaper and doesnt require a contract. TF is also much, much larger.

The dumbells in PH only go up to 75lbs.

The ones in TF go up to 50, but I never lifted them to see if it was kilos or pounds. Need to go back and check unless someone here knows.

Like the guy above, I'd prefer to find somewhere with 100lb dumbells.

Fitness Thailand is not too precise about labeling; I've been going there for three years and still haven't figured out if the dumbbell weights are pounds times two (fifty pounds on each side for 100 pounds per dumbbell) or in kilograms. Either way you have something up to or over 100 pounds. The smaller plastic dumbbells are definitely in pounds.

If you look at the numbers posted on the weight machines you'll find that many of them are way off--increasing by 15 from one weight plate to the other, then 5 when going up one more identical weight plate. Sometimes the numbers on weight plates are consistent on one machine but a different machine will have completely different numbers for identical plates. It's been that way since the gym opened. I keep track of what number I'm working out with per machine and don't worry about what the actual weight is.

Maintenance in Fitness Thailand is definitely not up to western standards; machines and adjustable benches can be out of service for a week or more for lack of a pin or strap. However it's big enough so I can usually find something that will let me do the workout I want. It's not ideal but I haven't found anything better for my needs.

• 1 month later...

Powerhouse is very good and also for heavy duty trainers. A bit poor on all the kind of machines but it's just enough and good quality. FT has much more like inner thigs machine and dip and pull up machine with knee support to ad and lower the weight you dip/pull up... This all you don't find in PH

After a year in PH i will go to FT maybe now, just bored maybe or looking for this extra stuff (if not broken).

Archived