BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
chris2004

Where has all the beer gone ?

7-11's only have San Miguel, Family Mart still has everything, at the old price. 9/18/13

About time too. Those dang Thais thinking they can sell their beer just anywhere. After all, this isn't their coun...t...er...nevermind. whistling.gif

I bought 6 cans of beer at a 7/11 on the main road in Jomtien a couple of hours ago. Regular price, many brands available (but not all). Luckily my brand was one of the ones they did have.

Well Forrest, go back through the thread where I describe the Bud as the Czech version.

In which case my apology.....and we will gloss over the Corona ;-)

Well Forrest, go back through the thread where I describe the Bud as the Czech version.

In which case my apology.....and we will gloss over the Corona ;-)

Come on over and we'll drink to it

When I first visited Thailand with my wife back in 86, I thought Thai beer was pretty good. Now all these years later, even the premium brands in Thailand, when compared with what's available now on the world stage, are just mediocre at best.

If I have any big gripe, it's with the Thai liquor laws, where I can buy a bottle of beer at only certain hours of the day to bring back to our hotel room. It wasn't always this way.

Loadsa beer ere @ 55 a big leo innit

Sent from my GT-S5570B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quit drinking, don't care!

Still checking the drinking issues tho !!!!!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Best supermarket has put up their prices already. LEO before was 46 baht a big bottle, now 54 baht. That is an 18% increase in prices!facepalm.gif

LEO at the wholesale outlet was sold in HDY for 495 THB the box or 41,25 THB/bottle. The new price is 552 for a box or 46 THB/bottle. Thus the tax increase is 4.75 THB per bottle (630ml)

The single big bottle price at Best Supermarket was 46 Baht, now it is 54 baht, that indeed is an 18% increase.

Today I bought a box of 12 big bottles of LEO from the Wholesaler in soi Yume near Big C Extra. The price was 610 baht. Previously it was 495 baht for a box of 12. Buying that box bulk has gone up a staggering 23%.

I couldn't get any beer in Pattaya, had to come to Udon Thani for family reasons, a box of Leo was 575 baht last night, previously 480 baht.

That is roughly a 22% increase, scandalous stuff

Foodmart in Jomtien fully stocked, all at the new price, a small can of SML is now B44

you mean Harrods?

It's probably due to the government's beer pledging scheme, introduced after the huge success of the rice pledging scheme. Posted Image

correct!

Heard yesterday from someone in the know that Boon rawd (the producers of Singh and Leo) stopped production since the tax hike.

There are talks today with the excise department. We are holding our breath...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I really dont understand why people are having so much trouble. The 7/11 I went to the other day in Jomtien still has stock and Tops in Central had all brands about an hour ago, all at the old price.

Makes sense about the brewers halting production. From a BKK Post article:

Sudhabodi Sattabusya, a senior vice-president of Boonrawd Brewery, the producer of Singha products, said the new calculation is unfair because even though the producers pay the excise tax, the wholesalers set the prices used in the calculation. "We have no idea how well a wholesaler manages his costs. If he's not very good at it, we'll have to pay more based on whatever he quotes. That way, how can our products be more competitive in the market?" said Mr Sudhabodi.

So if the Wholesalers get creative with their calculations, the brewers would pay higher excise taxes and possibly see a decline in their margins.

However there is still hope- the brewere could sell below cost, then make it up on volume. Yeah, thats the ticket whistling.gif

Is there a shortage

Just paid 53 for a big leo i am close to khong khaen

Sent from my GT-S5570B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by neilf