True Vision Questions - Check here first

astral

Looks like Lazada has the cheapest solution a 500 GB HDD, 5400 RPM for 1190baht:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/segate-hdd-nb-7mm-500gb5400rpm-st500lt012-i289410608-s479508751.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.6182346cBB9TQK&search=1

And a SATA to eSATA and USB adapter cable for 114 baht for a grand total of 1304 baht + shipping.  You can use the HDD on both the True  Vissions and you computer since it has a USB connector.  Unfortunately all of the cables listed come from overseas, the HDD is locally available.  Just put "SATA to ESATA adapter" in the search field and you will get many cables and 500 GB, 5400 RPM HDD and you will also get many.

1304 baht is the cheapest solution that I have found.  I'm going to ask True if I can use an SSD.  I hav a "spare" 500GB SSD so I'll buy the cable for 114 baht.

This is another example of Truevisions poor service. It does not need to be this confusing and difficult as they offer a PVR service and they should support it with the proper equipment. I am glad I gave up on them 10 years ago and do my own "recording". The friend I asked info for is stuck on True as he enjoys the easy clicking from channel to channel.

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

This is another example of Truevisions poor service. It does not need to be this confusing and difficult as they offer a PVR service and they should support it with the proper equipment. I am glad I gave up on them 10 years ago and do my own "recording". The friend I asked info for is stuck on True as he enjoys the easy clicking from channel to channel.

Actually they do support the PVR and will gladly sell you one of their own recorders for 3999.00 baht.  You can use your own and get off much cheaper but the unit must have an EeSATA ptput port.

https://www.true-shopping.com/product/PRD201704000409

Tha solution that I chose was 1304 baht.

20 hours ago, wayned said:

Actually they do support the PVR and will gladly sell you one of their own recorders for 3999.00 baht.  You can use your own and get off much cheaper but the unit must have an EeSATA ptput port.

https://www.true-shopping.com/product/PRD201704000409

Tha solution that I chose was 1304 baht.

When was this? And where did you buy the eSATA drive that works. 

My friend says that True no longer sells the drives they advertise. Invade IT says they do not stock anything like that anymore as they are all obsolete

35 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

When was this? And where did you buy the eSATA drive that works. 

My friend says that True no longer sells the drives they advertise. Invade IT says they do not stock anything like that anymore as they are all obsolete

I  never said that I bought one.  True store has them available if you follow the link in the previus post #213 for 3999 baht.  Ebay also has them https://www.ebay.com/c/1074684063?iid=392289686258  

but they are expensive.  You can also but  docking stations with eSATA outputs or a simple STAT to ESATA adapter cale and a 5400 RPM 500GB laptop HDD like I recommended in post # 211.

The HDD and cable costs 1304 baht from Lazada.

25 minutes ago, wayned said:

I  never said that I bought one.  True store has them available if you follow the link in the previus post #213 for 3999 baht.  Ebay also has them https://www.ebay.com/c/1074684063?iid=392289686258  

but they are expensive.  You can also but  docking stations with eSATA outputs or a simple STAT to ESATA adapter cale and a 5400 RPM 500GB laptop HDD like I recommended in post # 211.

The HDD and cable costs 1304 baht from Lazada.

As I said True is saying they no longer sell or stock the one showing on the web site. Their answer is buy a PVR locally.

So buy the disk here for 1136 baht it's locally available:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/segate-hdd-nb-7mm-500gb5400rpm-st500lt012-i289410608-s479508751.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.6182346cBB9TQK&search=1  And buy a SATA to eSATA  adapter cable like this for 150 baht, only available from overseas:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/cablecc-25-inch-hard-disk-drive-sata-22pin-to-esata-data-usb-powered-cable-50cm-i235667888-s361492218.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.20.747f1d08ES3NbS&search=1

and you have a PVR recorder for 1286 baht.  The cable that I chose has both eSATA and USB ports so you can also use it as an external drive for your computer.  Just put in SATA to eSATA adapter in the search box on Lazada an you will get many cables and even some "pretty" docking stations.

22 hours ago, wayned said:

So buy the disk here for 1136 baht it's locally available:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/segate-hdd-nb-7mm-500gb5400rpm-st500lt012-i289410608-s479508751.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.6182346cBB9TQK&search=1  And buy a SATA to eSATA  adapter cable like this for 150 baht, only available from overseas:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/cablecc-25-inch-hard-disk-drive-sata-22pin-to-esata-data-usb-powered-cable-50cm-i235667888-s361492218.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.20.747f1d08ES3NbS&search=1

and you have a PVR recorder for 1286 baht.  The cable that I chose has both eSATA and USB ports so you can also use it as an external drive for your computer.  Just put in SATA to eSATA adapter in the search box on Lazada an you will get many cables and even some "pretty" docking stations.

This idea seems to have merit I just don't know anything about those ports on the True box and how they are configured

24 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

This idea seems to have merit I just don't know anything about those ports on the True box and how they are configured

I have asked True if this will work and also if you can use an SSD instead of a mechanical HDD, technically I can't see why not..  They say 500GB but suspect that it could be larger and the size only controls the amount of video that you can store. There is also a docking station that is made by the company that made the True PVR recorder that has power, eSATA and USB ports and an on/off switch that might be better since I can't get the True set top box specs to see if they output power on the eSATA port.  It might be a better choice but costs 742 baht.https://www.lazada.co.th/products/orico-tool-free-usb-30-hdd-case-esata-to-25-35-inch-sata-external-hard-disk-drive-docking-station-hdd-ssd-enclosure-box-i265801839-s413820129.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.1f676108os1XVb  

• Thanks 1

TRue answered and said that the setop box won't support an SSD and gave me a link to a marketing blurb that promoted their PVR recorder which isn't avaiable.  So I got no technical information at all and can see no reason that the SSD won't work other than they don't output powerfrom the eSATA port.

To me, it looks like the best option is an ORICO docking station:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/orico-tool-free-usb-30-hdd-case-esata-to-25-35-inch-sata-external-hard-disk-drive-docking-station-hdd-ssd-enclosure-box-i265801839-s413820129.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.1f676108os1XVb  

and a 500GB, 5400 RPM HDD:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hdd-wd-500gb-wd5000lpcx-by-synnex-i394478510-s765284456.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.3ffd923898TggP&search=1

The total cost including shipping 1684.47 baht A lot to soend if you really don't know if it wiil work.  Orico also made the discontinued True PVR recorder.  I will try to find an email address for them and ask the question since the people that man th phones at True call center have zero technical knowledge.  I'll post here if I find anything out.

Unfortunately True are really the only provider of the media that I want.

7 hours ago, wayned said:

TRue answered and said that the setop box won't support an SSD and gave me a link to a marketing blurb that promoted their PVR recorder which isn't avaiable.  So I got no technical information at all and can see no reason that the SSD won't work other than they don't output powerfrom the eSATA port.

To me, it looks like the best option is an ORICO docking station:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/orico-tool-free-usb-30-hdd-case-esata-to-25-35-inch-sata-external-hard-disk-drive-docking-station-hdd-ssd-enclosure-box-i265801839-s413820129.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.1f676108os1XVb  

and a 500GB, 5400 RPM HDD:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hdd-wd-500gb-wd5000lpcx-by-synnex-i394478510-s765284456.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.3ffd923898TggP&search=1

The total cost including shipping 1684.47 baht A lot to spend if you really don't know if it will work.  Orico also made the discontinued True PVR recorder.  I will try to find an email address for them and ask the question since the people that man th phones at True call center have zero technical knowledge.  I'll post here if I find anything out.

Unfortunately True are really the only provider of the media that I want.

Many thanks for the research on this as my friend will need this going forward.

1 minute ago, longball53098 said:

Many thanks for the research on this as my friend will need this going forward.

I found the email for ORICO Thailand and they have the docking station, however it is 1490 baht, the one through Lazada shipped from China is only 778 baht including shipping  It has all of the bells and whistles including the ORICO name but who knows.  I sent them an email explaining what I wanted and asked them if what I proposed would do the same job as the unit that they used to build for True.  Hopefully I will hear something today or tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

ORICO has agreed with my solution, The 6518SUS docking station and an HDD up to 1TB will work.  They have also said, as I thought, that using a SSD instead of the 5400RPM HDD should work as they have had no reported problems with this solution.  The decision now is whether to buy it locally and be sure that you are getting the right equipment or buying it from Lazada, shipped from China at half price.  The pictures on the Lazada website look authentic and it is made in China.  Here's the email from ORICO Thailand:

" Sorry for late reply. Yes 6518SUS3 can be used with True PVR old solution ( with eSATA interface). If you have that model, YES you can use this docking. About SSD, we have never got any report on SSD problem with this solution but it is possible since it really depends on the operating system on that TrueDVR which is a bit dated. Since you plan to use with WD 500GB so it should work fine with this solution. We have some report said that the limitation of the disk size is 1TB ( it is the True PVR limitation ) - customer try to put 2TB and found a problem."

What's curious is what they said about the "True PVR old solution".  If there is a new solution requiring a new box, True has not said anything about it.  I will ask them.

• Thanks 1

I asked the ORICo rep about the price diference between them and the one on Lazada and he said:

"SSD should works as well but there is no confirmed on this
- True PVR I heard that the start to ship the model without eSATA interface, guess there is no record function. Only watch live and playback. 
- The model shipping from china has no service support. Also see the first reply said there is no eSATA which is different model (us3). If so the price is about that cheap. 
- I think it is real but I am not sure it was right item u want. Perhaps you may need to talk to the online seller make sure it is 6518sus3 model"

So he thinks that True is discontinuing their PVR and only going with the USB which allows you to "pause" a program for up to 90 minutes.  The price of the unit from Lazada is more in line with the ORICO part 6518US3 (990 baht) which only has a USB port, no eSATA.  I think that I would order the right unit from ORICO rather than get the wrong unit from China unless you order it COD and inspect the unit to see if it's the right one when it arrives before you pay.

I sent a chat message to the distributor in China 2 days ago asking whether it had an eSATA port and haven't heard back.  I suspect that he doesn't know the difference between  eSATA from a Hersey bar.

So that's it The ORICO 6518SUS3 and a 500GB, 5400 RPM HDD.  If it a new installation I'd make sure that the set top box was PVR capable with eSATA ports.

The ORICO Rep emailed me back and pointed to the reviews of the product on the Lazada website.  The first one says มีแต่ช่อง usb 3 ไม่มีช่อง eSATA  which translates to 3 USB ports no eSATA.  So the unit is the 6518US3 not the 6518SUS3 and compares to the ORICO price of 990 baht.  Don't order it it won't work order the one from ORICO.

2 hours ago, wayned said:

The ORICO Rep emailed me back and pointed to the reviews of the product on the Lazada website.  The first one says มีแต่ช่อง usb 3 ไม่มีช่อง eSATA  which translates to 3 USB ports no eSATA.  So the unit is the 6518US3 not the 6518SUS3 and compares to the ORICO price of 990 baht.  Don't order it it won't work order the one from ORICO.

correction:  should say 3.0 USB port, not 3 USB ports.

I just received another email from True admitting that they np longer offer PVR and that there are continuing problems but they will "attempt" to sypport the units already installed.  After seeing this I woyls reccommend that you not spend the money to buy something that id obsolete and may or may not be supported in the future.  I have removed "PVR' from my grocery list.  Here's the email that I received:

With reference to your email, as we informed in the previous email that we stop developing the PVR software so we are unable to assure that the service will be working properly or not. However, we would like to inform you that for the Platinum subscriber can still get a Free service charge for PVR service and/or if you have a problem with your set-top box we still have the set-top box that supported for PVR function for replacement.

Besides, if you are activate the PVR service and have the issue about blank or freezes screen, kindly be informed that there are 2nd option to solve the problem as below;
1. In case the screen freezed, please press pause and play on the remote as the picture below;

image.png.f69ec8f804bbd9ba0393ba2803d074e6.png
2. If you found a blank or black screen, you can press rewind to watch the programs that you recorded.
image.png.b8d2994ea92a3dc53eea601cfecbc438.png

And we would like to suggest our TrueID website at link: https://tv.trueid.net/
We have one of the very fast and efficient channels to contact us, please be invited to use LiveChat via Link: https://chat.truecorp.co.th/v1/web_chat from 9:00-23.00 every day.

Sincerely yours,
Kant W.
Correspondence Support
Email:[email protected]

True Visions Public Company Limited
118/1 Tipco Tower, Rama VI Road,
Samsen Nai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400

the picture of the remote in their blurb doesn't look anything like the one that I have and there are not even buttons with the same logo.  The last parts for my new computer will arrive tomorrow, so on the the next project with more money to spend since I've trashed the PVR idea.

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 12:52 AM, wayned said:

I sent an email to True on Saturday and they actually answered yesterday.  An update is requied.  Here's a copy of what they sent me:

" In reply to your email, we would like to inform you that as Thaicom has announced its plan to replace the satellite, for TrueVisions service. So, we have made an appointment to change the LNB on your satellite dish and tune the set-top box no an additional cost on June 6 of 2019 in the morning before noon in order to receive our service continuously. "

Is this the same update for the message that scrolls acros the screen now. Saying it has to be done by the end of this year ?

6 hours ago, NE1 said:

Is this the same update for the message that scrolls acros the screen now. Saying it has to be done by the end of this year ?

Yes, It was supposed to happen back in March but they have delayed replacing the satellite and probably will continue to delay it, TIT.  If they do switch over, the old software and LNB will not work with the new satellite as they are changing to Local Oscillator frequency.  I had mine done last year, it takes about 30 minutes as long as they have access to the antenna.  The new software/LNB works with the old satellite.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I had two techs come last August , new box , card , remote and moved the disc for a "better line of sight" or something like that.....

When mine was updated, all three boxes, they downloaded the software to the existing boxes.  It took about 15 minutes and replaced the LNB.  They did not adjust the antenna angle as the Thaicom 8 satellite is in the same orbit as the Thaicom 5.  The only new equipment was the LNB.

• Like 1

I think I saw a scrolling message across my screen which said that the DIVA HD channel (Channel 234 on my Gold cable package) will cease to be broadcast from 1/1/20.

Nothing about any replacement.

Anyone have further info?  Thanks & HNY

• 1 month later...

Yeah the bloke who put it in last Dec took ages doing it and said they have a lot of complaints about it. Main problem is films stalling or video stopping and the audio carrying on, also have to restart it a lot if not used it for a few hours. Quality is better than the card tv box it replaced. Mrs likes the iflix channel as it's free films.

You have to buy a package to watch the football though you can pay to see single games I think.

I rarely watch it as most of the free stuff is poor and the pay for view can download anyway, Thai subs are good though for the foreigners!

Edited by Orton Rd

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

Yeah the bloke who put it in last Dec took ages doing it and said they have a lot of complaints about it. Main problem is films stalling or video stopping and the audio carrying on, also have to restart it a lot if not used it for a few hours. Quality is better than the card tv box it replaced. Mrs like the iflix channel as it's free films.

When you say films and video stalling or stopping, does that refer to stuff you're watching on Android TV or the regular True channels?