Visa Runs From Krabi?

Naut.Sirius

Hi all,

I'm going to be living in the Ao Nang/ Krabi Area for a year or so and was wondering what the best options are for visa runs from there are?

couple of options

1) taxi to satun border cost about 2500-3000 baht

2) get a local minivan share with other people for 700-800 baht, arranged through bernies bar leaves 8 in the morning

best option IMHO is the taxi with a total of 3 people, so cost is about the same but get a car to yourself and your friends, then you can leave at whatever time you like, best time i think is 3:30 am so can sleep all the way down there, get to the border about 8, out and in again, then can be back in Krabi area by 12/1 ish, so the whole day isnt lost.

you can also go to sidao border, but a lot busier and the satun one is a nicer ride.

Hey very cool and thank you for the quick response!

I'd never of thought of the taxi option - that sounds the best as there's much more flexibility both in terms of time frame and where/what you do along the way.

I guess the next step will be to get to know people once I'm there and see who I get along with.

Couple of options

1) taxi to satun border cost about 2500-3000 baht

2) get a local minivan share with other people for 700-800 baht, arranged through bernies bar leaves 8 in the morning

best option IMHO is the taxi with a total of 3 people, so cost is about the same but get a car to yourself and your friends, then you can leave at whatever time you like, best time i think is 3:30 am so can sleep all the way down there, get to the border about 8, out and in again, then can be back in Krabi area by 12/1 ish, so the whole day isnt lost.

you can also go to sidao border, but a lot busier and the satun one is a nicer ride.

quite a few falangs around, got the diving community, quite close knit, can eb a good and a bad thing!

when are you heading down to krabi and what you got planned for your stay?

Edited by Lobin

quite a few falangs around, got the diving community, quite close knit, can eb a good and a bad thing!

If everything goes as planned (knocks on wood) I should be moving there around the end of August. The only real plan is to enjoy life on a simple level, exploring the area, swimming, eating etc - just to unwind after years of city life :o

How long have you lived there? I can only assume that it's been a good experience if you're still there.

If everything goes as planned (knocks on wood) I should be moving there around the end of August. The only real plan is to enjoy life on a simple level, exploring the area, swimming, eating etc - just to unwind after years of city life :o

How long have you lived there? I can only assume that it's been a good experience if you're still there.

just shy of 2 and a half years.

have enjoyed it a lot, am a diver, so have been immersed (forgive the pun), in that mostly...

as with everywhere in thailand, its very easy to get very comfortable where you are. you will meet people all over thailand that just come for a few weeks and end up staying a LOT longer.. everyone swears by the place that they stay in. yes ao nang/krabi has its bad sides, but then so does everywhere else.

Very cool, I agree that everywhere has it's up and downs, I just noticed how much more I enjoyed life on a simple/basic level when I was there so figured I'd try living there for a while.

I'd actually like to learn how to dive etc during my time there, as a child i wanted to be an astronaut so it seems like a natural progression.

Cheers to you for following your dreams and interests instead of just being chained to an office cubicle somewhere.

have enjoyed it a lot, am a diver, so have been immersed (forgive the pun), in that mostly...

as with everywhere in thailand, its very easy to get very comfortable where you are. you will meet people all over thailand that just come for a few weeks and end up staying a LOT longer.. everyone swears by the place that they stay in. yes ao nang/krabi has its bad sides, but then so does everywhere else.

yes it has been good, and still have thoughts of maybe going back to real world, but then get a really think about it and the thought just sends shivers!

krabi is good as a base, and can go onto different locations quite easily for trips to make a change, phuket is only a couple of hours away, lanta is in good reach as well, both have different interests and activities.

as for diving, there is a heap of dive schools around, all about the same price, maybe take the opportunity to go to a few places and learn with different instructors is one way of doing it, then you get a nice broad range of opinions and techniques. sounds cheesy and very 'PADI', but the more you put into diving the more you get out of it, if you get bored with it, then its your own fault. as with everything got to keep it interesting.

drop us a pm when you are down, if i am still around can go for a beverage or two.

Very cool, I agree that everywhere has it's up and downs, I just noticed how much more I enjoyed life on a simple/basic level when I was there so figured I'd try living there for a while.

I'd actually like to learn how to dive etc during my time there, as a child i wanted to be an astronaut so it seems like a natural progression.

Cheers to you for following your dreams and interests instead of just being chained to an office cubicle somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...