New Visa Rules From July Confirmed By Immigration

ATM:

I suggest you the following:

1) Go to the chancellery in your place to legalize your wedding certificate

2) Call the nearest Thai consulate in your place, and ask them about leglizing a Thai translation of your wedding certificate. They will let you know about the person who should translate it (they don't accept translations from anyone for legalization purposes). Get your certificate translated and bring it to the consulate.

3) Ask the consulate to legalize the translation. Make sure that the translation is stapled on the top of the original certificate (not a copy) and that a stamp is put on the stapled corner as well (mine was first refused in Foreign office because it was not done like this)

4) At the consulate ask for a non-immigration type "O" multiple entry valid for one year.

5) When you go to Thailand you can stay 90 days and need to go out and come in again after 90 days untill you convert your "O" Visa with a one year extension. This can only be done in Thailand and your wife must be with you at the application time. They want her to confirm in person that she is still your wife at present time. When applying you need to show a Thai wedding certificate. Only your wife can get it. She will need to legalize the Thai translation of your wedding certificate at the foreign ministry office (they don't legalize it if it was not properly legalized by a thai consulate first). Once it's done she will need to go to her district office (ampur) with 2 witnesses and she will get her name changed, a new id card and a thai wedding certificate.

6) Open a joint account with your wife in Bangkok-Bank Silom branch (better there as you can get the confirmation letter on the same day). Wire 200,000 Baht (400,000 if after July) from Australia to your thai bank account with your e-banking. Update your passbook and get a confirmation letter and a credit advice showing that the funds came from abroad from the bank. It's important that you don't bring the cash with you as immigration want to see that the funds came from abroad.

7) Go to any clinic or hospital to get a health certificate for immigration.

6) Go with your wife in the immigration office and bring:

-her id card and a copy

-your thai wedding certificate and a copy

-your wife's house registration and a copy

-your passport and a copy

-the health certificate

-the passbook, the confirmation letter and the credit advice from the bank and copies

-Two 2" photos

-B 1900 for the application and some extra cash just in case.

They will extend your visa for one year so that you won't need to leave each 90 days.

Once you get the extension get a multiple reentry permit so that you won't loose your extension when you travel out of Thailand. Costs B 3800. Requires one additional photo.

The rest of the info you can find in this forum in earlier posts.

Good luck. :o

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I promise this will be my last attempt at this.

Huski: Thank you for the response on the Non-Immigrant "O" visa. It would appear I can obtain one at an Embassy abroad with no wife and a dependent Thai child.

I have previously read the retirement visa thread you pointed out. I fully understand the 800,000/65,000 baht requirement at present. What I (and wpbr) are requesting is information available for requirements after 1 July 2004.

Do you know if the requirements will change from the current 800,000 to something like 1.2 to 1.5 million when the other requirements change in July 2004?

I just don't know any other way to ask the question. Please see wpbr's previous post on 2-26 at 09:09 for another way to ask it.

Cheers

Sorry to confuse you Golf, but I have been getting the one year extension for something like 12 years and we have always had to show copies of our bankbook. A non-O visa allows a 90 day stay, after which she must go to the border, which is why a one year extension is better. With the non-O visa she (or rather both of you) apply for an extension of stay, allowing her to stay in the country for one year at a time, at the end of the one year she still does not have to leave the country but must go to immigration and apply for another extension. In order to leave the country she must then get a re-entry permit which keeps her non-O one year extension valid. Without it, she loses both the visa and the extension and must start over again.

Correct me if I am wrong and it is just our local immigration officers Dr PP, but I believe that in order to qualify for the extension the income qualification must be met, for both Thai husbands and farang husbands. We have always had to show it for mine.

Hi SBK,

No, you're not confuse me at all, but I do that to myself! I just called the immigration officer again today and know what I have to do. You're right about it. I need to do what you already mentioned earlier. I need to transfer some money and other documents such as a letter from employer and tax receipt. It's the last two that I concern.

1. I just got back here in Thailand in Oct, 2003. I have no full time job; I am working as a freelance so I don't have an employer.

2. 100% of my works come from the States and I deposit my payments in my U.S. back.

My question is:

If I transfer the money to my Thai bank (I still have my Thai bank), does it has to be in the bank long enough before we got married?

I am sorry if I ask the question that already has an answer somewhere in this thread.

Guys, I promise this will be my last attempt at this.

Huski: Thank you for the response on the Non-Immigrant "O" visa. It would appear I can obtain one at an Embassy abroad with no wife and a dependent Thai child.

I have previously read the retirement visa thread you pointed out. I fully understand the 800,000/65,000 baht requirement at present. What I (and wpbr) are requesting is information available for requirements after 1 July 2004.

Do you know if the requirements will change from the current 800,000 to something like 1.2 to 1.5 million when the other requirements change in July 2004?

I just don't know any other way to ask the question. Please see wpbr's previous post on 2-26 at 09:09 for another way to ask it.

Cheers

There won't be any change post July. The amount remains at 800,000 banking or earning or a combination of both

My question being, is this for officially married people only as in the past like 18 years ago I settled down here with girlfriend, we have kids and as I am officially the registered father used that for getting non O for a while.

Law or regulation said having Thai dependants at that time, not just Thai wife....

Is that still the case???

My question being, is this for officially married people only as in the past like 18 years ago I settled down here with girlfriend, we have kids and as I am officially the registered father used that for getting non O for a while.

Law or regulation said having Thai dependants at that time, not just Thai wife....

Is that still the case???

If you are on a Thai childs birth certificate as father you are still entitled to O visa's

Hi folks!

I'm a newbie. This is definitely my favourite website - informative, interesting and sometimes quite funny. After surfing on it for months I decided to join the forum.

Now, to my question: Remember, about 1/2 a year ago there was this article/interwiev with our "friend", the immigration officer of Chiang Mai. There it was said, that for an extension of marriage Non-O visa you'll need a work permit if you're under 50. Will that be the case from 10th July? I've done 3 extensions sofar on the "overseas money transaction rule". Will that still be enough?

Thanks for your help.

Hi folks!

I'm a newbie. This is definitely my favourite website - informative, interesting and sometimes quite funny. After surfing on it for months I decided to join the forum.

Now, to my question: Remember, about 1/2 a year ago there was this article/interwiev with our "friend", the immigration officer of Chiang Mai. There it was said, that for an extension of marriage Non-O visa you'll need a work permit if you're under 50. Will that be the case from 10th July? I've done 3 extensions sofar on the "overseas money transaction rule". Will that still be enough?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome aboard ! Some of us on here are very funny, and without even meaning to be funny :o As far as I am aware there won't be a work permit requirement for an under 50 year old to get an extesion of the O visa, provided you can comply with the banking / income requirements. The good Colonel from Chiang Mai Immigration gave a lot of inaccurate advice, and some speculation as to changes coming...he was a wild ( and probably anti foreigner ) guesser, and was plain wrong.

Cheers doc, sounds like great news :o . That's what they told me at the small immigration office where I do my extensions. But living in the LO"no plomplem" I wasn't sure about it. The guys there are pretty helpful but my concern was that I thought they have to send the application to BKK. Is that so or can they approve it themselves after the farang has stayed here for some years?

I know from my own and a lot of other expats experiences, that it can really make a difference where you go and which officer you talk to. Shouldn't be so but I guess it's just another case of TIT... If it can be done locally, I' m sure I will be ok.

Dr Pat Pong:

Thank you for the information concerning no changes on the retirement visa requirements and the information on dependent children.

My name is on the my daughter's birth certificate and she has my last name as well.

Precisely the information I was look for.

At: Retirement visa (O-A) Thailand

It says:

"Pensioners arriving before Oct 1998 with unbroken records while living here only need 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank when they apply for an extension."

I was here just before Oct 98 but the Regulations then were

Bht 200,000 if you were 60 years old or older.

Bht 500,000 if you were 55-59

I was 59, so I had to show 500,000 then - and

have done so without question eversince.

Does anybody KNOW if the CURRENT regulations are such that

I NOW only need to show Bht 200,000

or am I stuck with Bht 500,000 ...

I can qualify on the Income requirements.

Roger

Cheers doc, sounds like great news  :o . That's what they told me at the small immigration office where I do my extensions. But living in the LO"no plomplem" I wasn't sure about it. The guys there are pretty helpful but my concern was that I thought they have to send the application to BKK. Is that so or can they approve it themselves after the farang has stayed here for some years?

I know from my own and a lot of other expats experiences, that it can really make a difference where you go and which officer you talk to. Shouldn't be so but I guess it's just another case of TIT... If it can be done locally, I' m sure I will be ok.

You are home then Iggy...if it is a full service Immigration office there, the extension is a local matter. :D

I have a retirement and a work visa! Figure that one out! i work for a company that has a Thai company take care of accounts,taxes,visas,work permits..etc. I am married to a Thai and thought i would get a marrage visa but was told I schoud get a retirement visa. i did not have 800,000b in the bank. I was told by the Thai co. that they had a person that would let me deposit his 800 grand get the paper work from the bank and then withdraw the money. For this he would be paid 10,000b. the company that i worked for said they would cover that cost. i met the guy from the Thai co. the next day at imm. soi 8. i asked him where the guy w/ the money was and he replyed that he was late. A min. later he said" he's here!" I asked where ,he told me they were counting the money in the back.Behind the counter at imm. A Thai man not well dressed came out w/an envolope and we went out and got into an old dirty truck.the windows would not open and it had no a/c. On the way to the bank the man got a call on a vary old style cell phone. i mention all this for those who know that any Thai w/ 800 grand would have the latest phone or a new truck or at lest dressed well! We did what we had to at the bank ,went back to soi8 and the envlope w/the $$ went behind the counter to the back room again. While there I ran into a imm.officer who I used to go to when i did my own visas. i told her why I was there and she said I couldn't get a work permit w/ a retir.visa. I told her that the Thai co. and other imm.offecers said I could. She went over and talked to them and came back saying everything was alright and I could get a work pmt. Everyone I talk to and everything I read says I can't but Chomburi labor dept' gave me a yr. wk permit to match my yr.retirment visa! You figure it out! The $$ came from imm. and someone there made the 10grand ,the guy w/the truck was just there to watch the $$. The officer who I knew said I should have come to her! I shure she felt bad missing out on the 10grand. So anything is possable and nothing is carved in stone! Amazing Thailand!

Question about Transfer 400.000 bath.

I have a question about the money you need to show (400.000 bath), to take one year visa.

Usualy you have to transfer the money from outside Thailand (that is correct), but I want to know if is possible to bring it with me?

I mean: If I can brig the money with me and declear it in the airport like I bring this money inside Thailand from another country.

I will apreciate answer, thank you.

Question about Transfer 400.000 bath.

I have a question about the money you need to show (400.000 bath), to take one year visa.

Usualy you have to transfer the money from outside Thailand (that is correct), but I want to know if is possible to bring it with me?

I mean: If I can brig the money with me and declear it in the airport like I bring this money inside Thailand from another country.

I will apreciate answer, thank you.

As far as I know they wanna see the bank form proving the transfer from outside Thailand

It says:

"Pensioners arriving before Oct 1998 with unbroken records while living here only need 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank when they apply for an extension."

Roger

Dr Pat, George anybody ...

Can you help me with the above?

Roger

It says:

Roger

Roger

You are grandfathered Roger....no change for you :o

Comrades,

Khun Thaksin's regime has ok'ed a scheme to consolidate the banks of thailand. He tried to raise $ thorugh the 'millionaire golden card' plan without realizing that it is illegal to assist any foreigner to become a defacto citizen. This present visa dilemma is calculated to finance TRT to victory in the next election by paying for the various economic endeavors set forward by the government.

There are no guarantees.

There is no small print.

Just do the math.

200,000 foreigners times $20,000 US.

A $4 billion loan.

And what about the 'sinbon' ie tea money?

Comrades,

Khun Thaksin's regime has ok'ed a scheme to consolidate the banks of thailand. He tried to raise $ thorugh the 'millionaire golden card' plan without realizing that it is illegal to assist any foreigner to become a defacto citizen. This present visa dilemma is calculated to finance TRT to victory in the next election by paying for the various economic endeavors set forward by the government.

There are no guarantees.

There is no small print.

Just do the math.

200,000 foreigners times $20,000 US.

A $4 billion loan.

And what about the 'sinbon' ie tea money?

At least he never stops thinking :o

Both times i went to get my 1 year extension they didnt ask to see that i had transfered the money from farangland. Just looked at the balance in my book and the letter from the bank. I just take money from my bank in Canada with my bank card and put in in the account. My wife is a teacher and we always go on Mondays when she has to wear the uniform :o The only problem i had was when the balance on the letter from the bank was LESS then the balance in the book,the first women we talked to said we would have to come back the next day and show the balances as being the same! I said but there is more money in there not less! Sorry has to be the same! Thankfully the higher ranking women we talked to next said mai pen rai . I think as someone said before the rules can change depending on who you talk too.

Both times i went to get my 1 year extension they didnt ask to see that i had transfered the money from farangland. Just looked at the balance in my book and the letter from the bank. I just take money from my bank in Canada with my bank card and put in in the account. My wife is a teacher and we always go on Mondays when she has to wear the uniform :D The only problem i had was when the balance on the letter from the bank was LESS then the balance in the book,the first women we talked to said we would have to come back the next day and show the balances as being the same! I said but there is more money in there not less! Sorry has to be the same! Thankfully the higher ranking women we talked to next said mai pen rai . I think as someone said before the rules can change depending on who you talk too.

Unfortunately ( or fortunately for some ) the rules change depending on the mood or whim of the officers. T i T :o

It says:

Roger

Roger

Doc,

In my case then the GrandFathering is a DISadvantage?

I am Stuck on Bht 500,000 ... ?

I had hoped that I might now qualify for Bht 200,000 ...

Roger

It says:

Roger

Roger

Doc,

In my casr then the GrandFathering is a DISadvantage?

I am Stuck on Bht 500,000 ... ?

I had hoped that I might now qualify for Bht 200,000 ...

Roger

It is certainly worth pleading a case. Go on in and talk to 'em it might just get a nod, nothing is ever for absolute certain here Rog.