New Visa Rules From July Confirmed By Immigration

Tired of visa runs.

I suggest that everyone go illegal like wetbacks in the USA.

Over five million illegals a year.

Don't go to Cambodia

Never leave the country

Get an operation to change your face.

40,000 baht

Stay at home

Or don't leave the house.

Build a secret cubby hole in which to hide with 1000 baht attached to the outer door.

You'll either get the police or a go-go girl looking for more.

50/50

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the latter stages of the process for a Non O one year visa extension based on marriage to a Thai woman. I initially got a 90 day Non O marriage visa in Hong Kong. I applied for a one year extension to that Non O marriage visa at the Mai Sai Immigration office on February 6th. Here is my experience at Mai Sai.

1. I brought my bank book with a letter dated that same day from Bangkok Bank certifying the funds are in the bank (200,000 Baht).***Necessary document (Bangkok Bank Chiang Rai charged me 200 Baht for this document)

2. To show the funds came from outside Thailand, I brought ATM slips showing the many withdrawels from my bank in the USA and the corresponding deposits into my Bangkok Bank account. The officer made photocopies of some of the ATM slips and said it would not be a problem that I did not have a bank wire tranfer slip. My bank account is over 4 years old and has had over 200,000 in it since I opened it, so maybe that was the reason they did not get picky about taking the ATM slips.***Rules for this may vary office to office

3. I brought Original marriage certificate, my wife, her ID card, her residence papers.***All Necessary

4. The process for the extension takes 4-6 weeks, so he stamped my passport with a visa under review stamp, stating I must report to the Mai Sai Immigration office on March 15th, hopefully to pick up my new one year visa.

5. """A Mai Sai Immigration officer visited our home in Chiang Rai around 12 noon without warning on February 24th, to check that our information was true. He also took a photo of us standing in front of our home for proof. I was kind of surprised about that but it was quick, informal and he was polite."""

6. Lastly I attempted to slip the Immigration officer that initially processed my application a few hundred, as he did me a favor and gave me a re-entry permit after the office had officially closed. He politely refused and said he was happy to be of service.

Hope this answers a few questions about the Mai Sai Immigration.

P.S. I strongly recommend that anytime you have dealings with any Thai officials, you should always dress appropriately. Smart Casual will usually get you further than shorts and a t-shirt.

I am in the latter stages of the process for a Non O one year visa extension based on marriage to a Thai woman. I initially got a 90 day Non O marriage visa in Hong Kong. I applied for a one year extension to that Non O marriage visa at the Mai Sai Immigration office on February 6th. Here is my experience at Mai Sai.

1. I brought my bank book with a letter dated that same day from Bangkok Bank certifying the funds are in the bank (200,000 Baht).***Necessary document (Bangkok Bank Chiang Rai charged me 200 Baht for this document)

2. To show the funds came from outside Thailand, I brought ATM slips showing the many withdrawels from my bank in the USA and the corresponding deposits into my Bangkok Bank account. The officer made photocopies of some of the ATM slips and said it would not be a problem that I did not have a bank wire tranfer slip. My bank account is over 4 years old and has had over 200,000 in it since I opened it, so maybe that was the reason they did not get picky about taking the ATM slips.***Rules for this may vary office to office

3. I brought Original marriage certificate, my wife, her ID card, her residence papers.***All Necessary

4. The process for the extension takes 4-6 weeks, so he stamped my passport with a visa under review stamp, stating I must report to the Mai Sai Immigration office on March 15th, hopefully to pick up my new one year visa.

5. """A Mai Sai Immigration officer visited our home in Chiang Rai around 12 noon without warning on February 24th, to check that our information was true. He also took a photo of us standing in front of our home for proof. I was kind of surprised about that but it was quick, informal and he was polite."""

6. Lastly I attempted to slip the Immigration officer that initially processed my application a few hundred, as he did me a favor and gave me a re-entry permit after the office had officially closed. He politely refused and said he was happy to be of service.

Hope this answers a few questions about the Mai Sai Immigration.

P.S. I strongly recommend that anytime you have dealings with any Thai officials, you should always dress appropriately. Smart Casual will usually get you further than shorts and a t-shirt.

A nice experience. Good for you, and it is handy to have a friend there. When the extension is in hand, why not invite the guy and his wife for a meal. They all like a nice red wine with dinner :o

Doc

That's a great idea about inviting this guy to dinner. It never hurts to have a friend in immigration. He seemed to take a liking to my wife and I, telling us all about his wife and daughter.

Doc Maybe you can help me with this one.

On the evening of February 24th my wife gave birth to our first child, a son. If I have it correct I need to go to Chiang Mai US Embassy with the baby's birth certificate, marriage document, wife's passport and or ID, house registration, and my passport for my son to get a US passport. Is this correct and do all the documents need to be translated or do the Thai workers at the US Embassy certify their correctness.

Thanks

A very happy, proud, and almost legal (non visa runnner finally) non immigrant visa holder. DAD

Doc

That's a great idea about inviting this guy to dinner. It never hurts to have a friend in immigration. He seemed to take a liking to my wife and I, telling us all about his wife and daughter.

Doc Maybe you can help me with this one.

On the evening of February 24th my wife gave birth to our first child, a son. If I have it correct I need to go to Chiang Mai US Embassy with the baby's birth certificate, marriage document, wife's passport and or ID, house registration, and my passport for my son to get a US passport. Is this correct and do all the documents need to be translated or do the Thai workers at the US Embassy certify their correctness.

Thanks

A very happy, proud, and almost legal (non visa runnner finally) non immigrant visa holder.  DAD

You will need certified translations....not too hard....and C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S. Register the birth with the Thai Authorities, and BINGO dual citizenship is possible :o

when you register your baby's birth you will also receive an application for a social security number card. this application you send to the US department of veterans affairs in the philippines . if you are in the US you could send or drop off at an office in the US of course.

"complete only if applicant has never applied for or received a social security number card and is under age 5"

i'm not sure when this application HAS to be sent as my baby's app is still in a folder in a drawer. look like before the little squirt is 5 years old.

:o Man, am I confused!! I am coming to Thailand in May and plan to marry in June(maybe May). What do I need to do to get a marriage visa at that time? Is it $200,000 in the bank or what? If I have the money in the bank do I need to show a monthly income also? I planned to get a toursit visa, come over, get married, get a marriage visa and be happy! Now it seems the rules have changed. How do I know what to do? Is it better to just renew my tourist visa every 60 days? Bummer!!! I am over 55 but I do not have the 800,000 required for a retirement visa. PLEASDE, will some knoeledgeable person tell me the way out of this dilemma? thanks.

:o Man, am I confused!! I am coming to Thailand in May and plan to marry in June(maybe May). What do I need to do to get a marriage visa at that time? Is it $200,000 in the bank or what? If I have the money in the bank do I need to show a monthly income also? I planned to get a toursit visa, come over, get married, get a marriage visa and be happy! Now it seems the rules have changed. How do I know what to do? Is it better to just renew my tourist visa every 60 days? Bummer!!! I am over 55 but I do not have the 800,000 required for a retirement visa. PLEASDE, will some knoeledgeable person tell me the way out of this dilemma? thanks.

If you get married before July 04 the amont required in a bank in a bank in Thailand is 200,000 baht, or an annual income of that amount, or a combination of banking and income you are fine. A tourist visa ( not the freebie 30 day on arrival permit )can be converted to a Non-Immigrant O visa at Immigration in Thailand after you marry. You can then extend that visa for one year at the end of each year. Be aware that the income/ banking increases to 400,000 baht nexy year.

:o Man, am I confused!!  I am coming to Thailand in May and plan to marry in June(maybe May).  What do I need to do to get a marriage visa at that time?  Is it $200,000 in the bank or what?  If I have the money in the bank do I need to show a monthly income also?  I planned to get a toursit visa, come over, get married, get a marriage visa and be happy!  Now it seems the rules have changed.  How do I know what to do?  Is it better to just renew my tourist visa every 60 days?  Bummer!!!  I am over 55 but I do not have the 800,000 required for a retirement visa.  PLEASDE, will some knoeledgeable person tell me the way out of this dilemma?  thanks.

If you get married before July 04 the amont required in a bank in a bank in Thailand is 200,000 baht, or an annual income of that amount, or a combination of banking and income you are fine. A tourist visa ( not the freebie 30 day on arrival permit )can be converted to a Non-Immigrant O visa at Immigration in Thailand after you marry. You can then extend that visa for one year at the end of each year. Be aware that the income/ banking increases to 400,000 baht nexy year.

doctor, which bank will allow someone to open a thai bank account on a tourist visa now?

he could get married when arriving in may, head over to immigration right away to convert over to a non immigrant "o" visa, and apply for a one year extension, all before july...cutting it close

:o Man, am I confused!!  I am coming to Thailand in May and plan to marry in June(maybe May).  What do I need to do to get a marriage visa at that time?  Is it $200,000 in the bank or what?  If I have the money in the bank do I need to show a monthly income also?  I planned to get a toursit visa, come over, get married, get a marriage visa and be happy!  Now it seems the rules have changed.  How do I know what to do?  Is it better to just renew my tourist visa every 60 days?  Bummer!!!  I am over 55 but I do not have the 800,000 required for a retirement visa.  PLEASDE, will some knoeledgeable person tell me the way out of this dilemma?  thanks.

doctor, which bank will allow someone to open a thai bank account on a tourist visa now?

he could get married when arriving in may, head over to immigration right away to convert over to a non immigrant "o" visa, and apply for a one year extension, all before july...cutting it close

As far as I know Huski, the minimum bank requirement is a Non-Imm visa. He should get an O at home and enter on it, otherwise Catch 22 takes full effect, no banking, no extension. It is a cruel world. The early ask of recent times was a work permit as well, then no married person or retiree could qualify for an extension.

As far as I know Huski, the minimum bank requirement is a Non-Imm visa. He should get an O at home and enter on it, otherwise Catch 22 takes full effect, no banking, no extension. It is a cruel world. The early ask of recent times was a work permit as well, then no married person or retiree could qualify for an extension.

i was thinking the same thing, come to thailand with a non immigrant "o" visa if at all possible . then a thai bank account and apply for a one year extension.

what country are you from tex? could it be the USA and you are from texas, if so saddle up that horsey and head out to the houston thai embassy.

At the moment I bring EURO currency to thailand by cash.

You can also withdraw your money from an ATM in Thailand with your foreign card. Your bankstatement (have a copy sent or faxed to Thailand) proves that you 'imported' the money in Thailand.

The prove of income is unclear. You can show your annual income, but who says you spend it here? You might have three ex-wives abroad who each get their part and/or twelve children you are responsible for.

And another person has half the amount, but can spend it all for himself alone. In a way Thailand is very genereous and trustfull towards foreigners.

If you are not old enough for a retirement visum, why don't you go to the immigration office and ask if there are other possibilities?

Hello,

This is by far the most helpful forum in Thailand ! Ok, I'm new to this as well and my first trip to Thailand was December last year and am completely blown by it's culture and people ! My japanese girlfriend started working in Bangkok in a 5 star hotel and hence that was the purpose of my visit last year. I've always avoided visiting in the past as I wasn't interested in the 'sex tourist' type of labelling but boy was I wrong as there's just so much more out there !

Ok, here's my predicament. I've recently been employed by a Malaysian 'high-end' dive travel company based in KL and my function is to research and to look into the feasibility of starting up a branch in Bangkok. I'll be visiting local businesses in Bangkok to setup a cross selling platform when I'm there on my upcoming second visit to Bangkok this coming Monday. Reason for my post is, I was told that I shouldn't do this on a tourist visa and I should apply a non-immigrant B visa here in KL before I do this. Is this true ? Will I get in trouble if I'm just 'feeling' the enviroment ? Do I need a work permit to do this if I'm starting out with a base in KL ? As all business transactions will be done via TT, would me setting up the network among businesses in Bangkok requires me to have a work permit and the non-B visa ? I'm Malaysian and would this make a difference being 'neighbours' and all ?

Your advice is much appreciated :o

Will I get in trouble if I'm just 'feeling' the enviroment ? Do I need a work permit to do this if I'm starting out with a base in KL ? As all business transactions will be done via TT, would me setting up the network among businesses in Bangkok requires me to have a work permit and the non-B visa ?
you need to get some paperwork showing the job offer from the dive company and then you will need a non immigrant B visa and a work permit.
I'm Malaysian and would this make a difference being 'neighbours' and all ?

no, you will still need the correct visa and a work permit...the only difference is your flight back to bangkok will be quick.

Thanks Huski,

However, will I need the employment letter of my current employer in KL or a dive company in Bangkok ? :o A bit perplexed on this bit as they're constant changing versions of this guide for the visa and work permit.

Would it be considered as me working if I was to just make a sales call ?

Bazz :D

"The new rules for foreginers married to Thai citizens was passed as law in July 2003, to be effected from July 10'th 2004"

Oh!!!!! How we change the rules in the middle of the game. This is a warning to anyone trying to get the extention before the above "Official" date (Yeah right!) I was in Bangkok today to get the extention and was told that the policy is already in effect. So what happend to July 10th 's "OFFICICAL" start of this new family breaking up rules? I have been in Thailand since november, first came in on the 30 day visa, married with my wife who is Thai, we could have married in the states and said to heck with things here, but no I want my wife to finish her last semester of school and for the marriage to be done with her parents there. I went to Penang to get my 90 visa, which I might say was a great trip. So great in fact since this little BS at immigration office today, I will be making another trip to Penang. Anyway just a warning. Watch who you speak with. Dont get me wrong, I may seem a little on the edge right now, but anyway I love Thailand and love the people. Take care and have fun.

"The new rules for foreginers married to Thai citizens was passed as law in July 2003, to be effected from July 10'th 2004"

Oh!!!!! How we change the rules in the middle of the  game. This is a warning to anyone trying to get the extention before the above "Official" date (Yeah right!) I was in Bangkok today to get the extention and was told that the policy is already in effect. So what happend to July 10th 's "OFFICICAL" start of this new family breaking up rules? I have been in Thailand since november, first came in on the 30 day visa, married with my wife who is Thai, we could have married in the states and said to heck with things here, but no I want my wife to finish her last semester of school and for the marriage to be done with her parents there. I went to Penang to get my 90 visa, which I might say was a great trip. So great in fact since this little BS at immigration office today, I will be making another trip to Penang. Anyway just a warning. Watch who you speak with. Dont get me wrong, I may seem a little on the edge right now, but anyway I love Thailand and love the people. Take care and have fun.

as in they NOW require 400k in a thai bank?

Oh!!!!! How we change the rules in the middle of the  game. This is a warning to anyone trying to get the extention before the above "Official" date (Yeah right!) I was in Bangkok today to get the extention and was told that the policy is already in effect. So what happend to July 10th 's "OFFICICAL" start of this new family breaking up rules? I have been in Thailand since november, first came in on the 30 day visa, married with my wife who is Thai, we could have married in the states and said to heck with things here, but no I want my wife to finish her last semester of school and for the marriage to be done with her parents there. I went to Penang to get my 90 visa, which I might say was a great trip. So great in fact since this little BS at immigration office today, I will be making another trip to Penang. Anyway just a warning. Watch who you speak with. Dont get me wrong, I may seem a little on the edge right now, but anyway I love Thailand and love the people. Take care and have fun.

as in they NOW require 400k in a thai bank?

Only a guess Huski....somehow this poor guy antagonized the officer or the officer was having a bad hair day. Why not set up a poll and see who else gets shafted in the lead up to July.

I dont know what it was that was wrong with the Immigration officer. Maybe it was a bad day for her or something, the funny thing was that I was there and did not say anything to her, my wife spoke with her first because I know that often they do not talk with Farungs about anything. Well,. not all of them do this, but most of them do. Anyway Im Penang bound in a few days. Oh well Stuff happends and then you make a border run! As the old Taco bell commercials said in the states " Make a run for the boarder!" I am sure that the date is still for July, but not sure what happend yesterday.

doctor, which bank<s> will allow someone to open a thai bank account on a tourist visa now?

I had no trouble , to open a bank-account at Siam Commercial Bank in Chiang-Mai , last December - and only had a 30-day visa-on arrival in my (UK) passport.

But I did have quite a lot of Sterling bank-notes in my hand - ready to pay into the new account , earning them a juicy exchange-commission.

Hope it helps.

I had no trouble , to open a bank-account at Siam Commercial Bank in Chiang-Mai , last December - and only had a 30-day visa-on arrival in my (UK) passport.

But I did have quite a lot of Sterling bank-notes in my hand - ready to pay into the new account , earning them a juicy exchange-commission.

Hope it helps.

Head office of SCB still wants a Non-Immigrant visa to open an account. No work permit is required for a savings account.

When I die I'm gonna have the words "here lies Slim - he never did understand about visas" carved on my tombstone.

I have a 12 month non-immigrant "O" visa that looking at the rules & regs. and reading through the posts it seems I shouldn't have.

I initially applied last September to the Thai Embassy in Hull for the visa that seemed to suit my requirements best. I said I wanted to travel Thailand and study the culture, sent off my £80 and 3 days later I've a passport with a 12 month visa - I thought - well that was easy.

The question is, can I perpetually renew this visa for 12 months at a time at an Immigration Office in Thailand (as stated below) and in theory only ever exit Thailand every 90 days in accordance with the regulations?

An alien must apply for a non-immigrant visa "code O" at a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad before entering the Kingdom. Duration of first permit: As warranted by this visa, permission is given for a period of 90 days. Duration of extension: The Immigration Office will grant him a maximum extension of one year at a time.

If so, what documentation am I likely to be required to show? and what's the position with money in the bank.

By the time I come to renew this visa I would have married my Thai girl so I can comply with the main visa requirement (supporting a Thai national).

Also if I can renew this visa ad infinitum is this a better option than a Marriage Visa? :o

Also if I can renew this visa ad infinitum is this a better option than a Marriage Visa?

If you extend your stay on the basic of support of your Thai wife it will be marriage based. Same visa covers many things; that's why it is called "other".

So if you marry and have money in the bank you should be set without further ado.

When I die I'm gonna have the words "here lies Slim - he never did understand about visas" carved on my tombstone.

I have a 12 month non-immigrant "O" visa that looking at the rules & regs. and reading through the posts it seems I shouldn't have.

I initially applied last September to the Thai Embassy in Hull for the visa that seemed to suit my requirements best. I said I wanted to travel Thailand and study the culture, sent off my £80 and 3 days later I've a passport with a 12 month visa - I thought - well that was easy.

The question is, can I perpetually renew this visa for 12 months at a time at an Immigration Office in Thailand (as stated below) and in theory only ever exit Thailand every 90 days in accordance with the regulations?

An alien must apply for a non-immigrant visa "code O" at a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad before entering the Kingdom. Duration of first permit: As warranted by this visa, permission is given for a period of 90 days. Duration of extension: The Immigration Office will grant him a maximum extension of one year at a time.

If so, what documentation am I likely to be required to show? and what's the position with money in the bank.

By the time I come to renew this visa I would have married my Thai girl so I can comply with the main visa requirement (supporting a Thai national).

Also if I can renew this visa ad infinitum is this a better option than a Marriage Visa? :o

Once you are married Slim, you can extend that Hull visa for one year at a time. Right now you need 200,000 baht in a bank in Thailand or a combination of income and savings amounting to 200 k. The amount increases to 400,000 baht in July 04

Thanks for that doc. I guess by implication, I can't extend it in Thailand if I'm not married.

So how does a 12 month non-immigrant O visa differ to a Marriage Visa - is it just that you don't have to border hop every 3 months with a Marriage Visa but the monetary conditions are the same?

As Hull granted me the visa in the first place - could I go to Hull near to when the visa expires and see if they'd give me another visa - thereby circumventing the financial requirements?

(I'll be in the UK shortly anyway so I'll find out if you don't know)

By the time I come to renew this visa I would have married my Thai girl

Are you now trying to find a way to obtain a new multi entry O visa for a year without getting married?

1. They are not about to extend your visa in country without marriage or other valid reason (which you do not appear to have).

2. Hall may or may not grant another visa if you are not married. If you are married most consulates can give you a visa.

3. There are no financial requirements for a multi entry O visa based on marriage.

4. If you elect to extend your stay on the basis of support there are financial requirements.

lopburi3 is right, you will need to be married for a one year extension based on support or have a thai child.

As Hull granted me the visa in the first place - could I go to Hull near to when the visa expires and see if they'd give me another visa

up to the immigration office in hull or another thai consulate, you did receive your first one based on "wanted to travel Thailand and study the culture".

A Japanese friend of mine is being told that he can change his tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa at the Bangkok Immigration Offices and that Visa runs are not required. He was told this by an Immigration Official in Mae Sot. Could this be fact? If so what are we talking about with visa runs? Have they lost their need to exist? :o

A Japanese friend of mine is being told that he can change his tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa at the Bangkok Immigration Offices and that Visa runs are not required.  He was told this by an Immigration Official in Mae Sot.  Could this be fact?  If so what are we talking about with visa runs? Have they lost their need to exist? :o

you are still required to get a new visa outside thailand from a thai consulate...sorry this isn't one of the new visa rules in july

however, immigration officers can change a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa if they want to. they can do anything.