Schools fees at an International School?

Hi all,

I have my long term girl friend & her 7 year old daughter coming to live permanently in East Pattaya from Issan.

I currently send the daughter to a private Christian School in Issan & would like to continue her reasonable level of education in Pattaya.

Can anyone recommend an International type school without over the top fees for her.

If you can include the fees you pay or know about that would be a great help.

Thanks.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're pretty lucky in Chiang Mai.

Our daughter goes to my wife's old school, Wattanothaipayap which is excellent!

The students all wear uniforms (and there seems to be a different one for each day of the week) they are POLITE, they get Homework, they have special Language Camps, they take part in Merit Making in their free time and.... we get regular home-visits from the teachers.

Hope you find somewhere as good where you live.

If the child will likely grow up and live in Thailand then a good Thai school is important for them to make the right connections and friends. This is hugely important step as it will influence who they associate with and what jobs they can get etc.

I used to work at Montfort College in Chiang Mai and the kids who went there were all fairly wealthy and their networks were vastly more important to their futures than any crap we tried to teach in a room full of 55 kids.

This was 20 years ago. I dont know what Montfort is like now.

• Like 1

"I hope you realize that international schools hardly have any Thai lessons which means your GF's daughter will have to go overseas for university."

They don't have to. There are universities offering international programs that are taught in English.

• Like 2

I teach at an international school in Bangkok and all international schools must offer the Thai language. It is mandatory. From what I have heard the two best schools around Pattaya are the Regents and The Inernational school Eastern Seaboard. There wesites should have the fees.

If the child will likely grow up and live in Thailand then a good Thai school is important for them to make the right connections and friends. This is hugely important step as it will influence who they associate with and what jobs they can get etc.

I used to work at Montfort College in Chiang Mai and the kids who went there were all fairly wealthy and their networks were vastly more important to their futures than any crap we tried to teach in a room full of 55 kids.

I think your first paragragh makes a very good point. They makes friends there (children of expats) then they leave Thailand when their parents leave and are left with no friends.

I have a 4 year old daughter so I am fishing around at the moment.

I think your first paragragh makes a very good point. They makes friends there (children of expats) then they leave Thailand when their parents leave and are left with no friends.

I think you got it. but... it is really not clear. allow me to clarify.....

If a Thai will wind probably up here, they are much better served by studying here. Particularly during highscool and college... because they develop a group of friends and contacts. That will serve a person as much or more than any education.

As outrageous as this may sound, it is based on my experience here +20 years.

• Like 2

I think you got it. but... it is really not clear. allow me to clarify.....

If a Thai will wind probably up here, they are much better served by studying here. Particularly during highscool and college... because they develop a group of friends and contacts. That will serve a person as much or more than any education.

As outrageous as this may sound, it is based on my experience here +20 years.

On the other hand... if someone is of means and / or can study abroad... they should, generally speaking. Even if.. all they can do is study at a REAL school and do real degrees. Having said that look at Taksin and his sister who did NOT study at IVY league schools. they studied at 2nd tier or 3rd tier schools. as evidenced by BOTH of their abysmal English. One is a Phd and the other is current Prime Minister although she cannot communicate in English well. who cares.

If I was you I would get her in school asap.

My son will soon turn 4 and he is in pre kindergarten and they already have exams, he started a year ago.

After much searching we decided on Maryvitt, app. 10-15% of the kids are of Thai/expat heritage.

They don't have a dedicated bilingual program but they have Pilipino and Chinese and Thai teachers, so they learn Thai, English & Chinese, not bad.

Only concern I have is the size of the school. about 4000 students I think and they are building another block, can be a bit of a nightmare getting your kid to/from school in the truck.

Good thing is they can stay until university, some schools here only go to 6th grade or thereabout and then you have to find a new school, not good for the kid.

Can anybody explain to me the reason ( apart from making money) why international schools here in Thailand, all charge a large non returnable enrollment fee, sometimes as much as 250,000 bht, while the private schools in England do not.

To keep you from changing schools as you'd need to pay this nonrefundable amount all over again and also to line to owners pockets, the successful international schools here are cash cows.

• Like 2

I hope you realize that international schools hardly have any Thai lessons which means your GF's daughter will have to go overseas for university.

I my view the international schools are more aimed for expats that are send here by their international company that send them to another place (not Thailand) 2-4 years later on and their kids will then attend an international school wherever that might be.

Some well off Thais send their kids there too and then they typically go to USA-Australia-UK or Singapore for university.

A good private school is fine, my almost 4 year old son attend Maryvitt school, a very demanding school, over 90% of the students ends up on university.

Discipline is strict, no students ride motorbikes to/from school, no students bugger off early, they teach them to be polite and respect everybody.

There are some Thai University's that teach in the English language so there are options. One of them being UTCC. University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce in Bkk. You can google online and there are several sites that rate university's worldwide. Its a bit surprising but quite a few of these Thai University's are in the top 25% of University's of the world's top 10,000. Not exactly Yale or Harvard but I reckon anywhere in the top 25% is not that bad. UTCC cost about $4000 a year. Not cheap but much cheaper than going overseas. Cheaper than many of these so called International schools. I had some dealings with one of these in Khon Kaen years ago and it lacked much to be desired in many ways.

Both my girls go to Regency. I love the school and the program. It's a great school with

great teachers, etc ...

BUT, this must be the greediest bunch of them all. They have been raising their fees

every year by more than 5%. I now pay 150K for primary per quarter, and over 200K

for secondary per quarter. And they way they do it, is to divide the educational year

in to FOUR quarters.

I am seriously considering withdrawing the kids from Regents and finding something else.

For this kind of money I could probably get them boarded abroad ... outrageous !

luudee

*Prices quoted are in Thai Baht

Edited by luudee
  • Like 1

If I was you I would get her in school asap.

My son will soon turn 4 and he is in pre kindergarten and they already have exams, he started a year ago.

After much searching we decided on Maryvitt, app. 10-15% of the kids are of Thai/expat heritage.

They don't have a dedicated bilingual program but they have Pilipino and Chinese and Thai teachers, so they learn Thai, English & Chinese, not bad.

Only concern I have is the size of the school. about 4000 students I think and they are building another block, can be a bit of a nightmare getting your kid to/from school in the truck.

Good thing is they can stay until university, some schools here only go to 6th grade or thereabout and then you have to find a new school, not good for the kid.

Thanks, can you give an indication of the fees you are paying at that school. I am astounded at the fees being charges by some of the "good" school here. It appears that 600,000 a year is the norm for the top half dozen schools.

My son attended one of the top 10 private schools in Melbourne, Australia & that was what we paid in the last year before university. I am positive his education was far superior to what is on offer in Thailand, not just a scholastic education but the complete personal development of the student.

My original post did say "international type schools". The daughter gets a great education in Udon at the private Christian School for about 30,000 a year all in. There are farangs teaching English & the extra English classes after school pay off as well.

OK, all food for thought & make a decision over the holidays. Maybe leave her where she is until after the school year finishes in March.

Edited by ROBINPATTAYA

My 5 year-old has just started his first year at Mooltripakdi International School (MIS) on the 'dark side'.

The website is here

This is after his first couple of years pre-schooling in a local Udon city school. He also attended summer school at MIS and is catching up fast with his English speaking with the help of regular homework. He is enjoying it but only 3 weeks into his first term so very early days.

The OP's stepdaughter could be enrolled in Lower Elementary which has a 40,000 baht non-ref enrollment fee and 60,000 baht/term (3 terms per year). There's some small add-ons for meals, swimming and books. Also for transportation (if needed). Nice location, out in the country just off the Highway 7 spur (half as far as Regents) and miles from the nearest 7-eleven!

There's the first of their parents/teachers days next week which is good now that my wife and I are sharing our parental contributions and responsibilities in our sons schooling a bit more. It was all rather one-sided (and mono-lingual) in Isaan!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Take a look at MIS post #23), they have Kindergarten which could take your 4 year-old.

Can anybody explain to me the reason ( apart from making money) why international schools here in Thailand, all charge a large non returnable enrollment fee, sometimes as much as 250,000 bht, while the private schools in England do not.

To keep you from changing schools as you'd need to pay this nonrefundable amount all over again and also to line to owners pockets, the successful international schools here are cash cows.

Yes I think that is the reason, however it does show they they are not confident in their own school, unlike the private schools in England that do not charge an enrollment fee, instead relying on the quality of the teaching to ensure pupils do not leave.

Assumption school in Sri Racha is very good ,our son went there , its a catholic school but 98% of the pupils are Bhuddist ,its equally as good if not better thab Regents which i feel is vastly overpriced ,

That's a boys school is it not? or has it become co-educational now

I've heard it's coed now, but could be wrong.