Schools fees at an International School?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at St Andrews (Green Valley) next to Green Valley Golf Course, about 40min out of central Pattaya. I was happy with what I saw although I have yet to look at any other options just yet. A very quick calculation on yearly costs for my two kids (5 years and 8 years) would work out to be about 400k each, give or take additional costs (transport etc). My daughter has taken to the fact that they offer horse riding as an activity. I know what she will be asking for Xmas this year ><

Anyone have any experience with this school? I spoke to a mother (English) who has her children enrolled and she was happy with the school.

If the child will likely grow up and live in Thailand then a good Thai school is important for them to make the right connections and friends. This is hugely important step as it will influence who they associate with and what jobs they can get etc. 

I used to work at Montfort College in Chiang Mai and the kids who went there were all fairly wealthy and their networks were vastly more important to their futures than any crap we tried to teach in a room full of 55 kids. 

This was 20 years ago. I dont know what Montfort is like now. 

I know kids from international schools who can't write Thai and have difficulties with the language. Their knowledge of Thai history is poor. They end up being culturally awkward...

My Kids go to a good Thai School, bilingual. They even learn mandarin, read, write and speak. The school has a large pool, sports facilities, special classes etc.

It is not cheap, but by far less than international option.

Many parents drive Camry's, Pajeros etc. Versus BMW's or Mercs at international schools.

Only thing that bothers me out of principle is that the governments one child one tablet program does not seem to apply, not that we need it...

So my verdict is good bilingual Thai school is for kids who will live their adult life in Thailand perhaps better than going international.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If the child will likely grow up and live in Thailand then a good Thai school is important for them to make the right connections and friends. This is hugely important step as it will influence who they associate with and what jobs they can get etc.

I used to work at Montfort College in Chiang Mai and the kids who went there were all fairly wealthy and their networks were vastly more important to their futures than any crap we tried to teach in a room full of 55 kids.

This was 20 years ago. I dont know what Montfort is like now.

I know kids from international schools who can't write Thai and have difficulties with the language. Their knowledge of Thai history is poor. They end up being culturally awkward...

My Kids go to a good Thai School, bilingual. They even learn mandarin, read, write and speak. The school has a large pool, sports facilities, special classes etc.

It is not cheap, but by far less than international option.

Many parents drive Camry's, Pajeros etc. Versus BMW's or Mercs at international schools.

Only thing that bothers me out of principle is that the governments one child one tablet program does not seem to apply, not that we need it...

So my verdict is good bilingual Thai school is for kids who will live their adult life in Thailand perhaps better than going international.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree with that, my son's school are trying hard to prepare the kids for a future as an responsible adult in Thailand.

I don't understand why many here on ThaiVisa with Thai/Expat kids are so focused so hard on international schools.

I am app. 16 years senior to my wife and she is not interested in living in Denmark at all, so we will be staying in Thailand and I will likely die before her

so if my son have a good education here that will be the best.

All the Thai people I talked to all recommended Maryvitt, 2 doctors at the expensive Bangkok/Pattaya hospital recommended this school and their kids attend there.

That is good enough for me and they also told me that the international schools are a waste of money and will (in most cases) limit the kids access to universities in Thailand.

• Like 1

Have experienced the Thai and international school system the latter is better by a mile, not just in terms of academics but overall " rounding" of the child. The really qualified foreigner teachers are way better...

This is Thailand , I bought into the Thai system earlier because everything was polite, organized but was horrified at the class sizes, the submissiveness of the students, the rote learning, the extra lessons at the weekends !!!..I started going into the school to observe.

Having said that if you are an active parent and do some homeschooling the difference maybe not so pronounced, unfortunately I was not in the position to do so.

If you have the money use it..I cannot recommend a top international school enough.

The students all speak and write Thai well enough, not socially awkward at all as they have their own groups and frankly I think the opposite they come out with a certain confidence, a real fluency in English and a tendency to be very entrepreneurial ( as most of the parents owned businesses)..

Many now stay in Thailand to study at the international programs on offer..friends going abroad..tend to come back so again over worrying..

It is really expensive though..too much..but there are waiting lists!! Japanese, Chinese, Korean..

They also have pick of universities in Thailand...chula mahidol etc..they are accepted on o level results let alone a level results. can go at 16..

I have met done Thais who can afford to send their kids to international schools don't because they are afraid of them loosing their thai ness and acting more like a foreign student..of course this just a perception and not based in reality..

Having experienced both, I'd say the Thai schools(the middle class ones, not cheap government ones like Pattaya School 1-5) are good for making connections with real people, your kids will get to be friends with the Thai Middle class, with parents that have their own business or are in high-paying job, but the curriculum will suck the life out of the kid, but your kids will have friends and connections that will set her up for life in Thailand, and being a foreigner in Thai school is still quite rare, so she'll be quite popular, but might be stereotyped as the token Farang.

International school are a bit lax in content academically compared to Thai schools, but Thai schools only focus on rote learning, if your kids goes to international school, she will be behind the Thais in Maths and Science, but only in textbook stuff. Thai schools don't teach how to think, creativity and how to solve problems. Thai school will discipline the life out of any child.

best bet would be both, start your child on Thai school, there are many with bi-tri lingual program which costs almost the same as international school now, but you will be friends with thai middle class families, if it works out stays but send your child to university overseas, of if it doesn't sends her to international high-school after she finishes primary school

• Like 2

My daughter goes to Tara Pattana, she is only in nursery and the fees are 62.500 baht a term at the moment. Check out there website for fees for the daughter.

Is that the brand new (2 years?) place out on Thungklom Thanman 9? It was on my short list last year but looked liked it hadn't opened yet. What uptake have they now? Interesting to see what class sizes are like. Nice, semi-rural location there, just like MIS.

My daughter goes to Tara Pattana, she is only in nursery and the fees are 62.500 baht a term at the moment. Check out there website for fees for the daughter.

Is that the brand new (2 years?) place out on Thungklom Thanman 9? It was on my short list last year but looked liked it hadn't opened yet. What uptake have they now? Interesting to see what class sizes are like. Nice, semi-rural location there, just like MIS.

Yes its the same school, the classes are a maximun of 15 i was told. My daughter is only in Nursery but i am very happy with the school so far. They are going to be building another section soon. I also pay an extra 5000 baht for extra English lessons for my daughter and her English is coming on great.

Edited by geordie

Can anybody explain to me the reason ( apart from making money) why international schools here in Thailand, all charge a large non returnable enrollment fee, sometimes as much as 250,000 bht, while the private schools in England do not.

Simple: St. Andrews, Garden, Regents, and ISE all are profit making schools. They use the enrollment to supposedly put it into a building fund. Have you ever seen the interior, furniture, or "up to date" equipment at these schools? Insulting when you pay this much money. All of these schools (of course) have a scam where you pay high prices for the student's uniforms, lunches, and even school activiites. Maybe they have pay toilets...I cannot confirm that.

Both my girls go to Regency. I love the school and the program. It's a great school with

great teachers, etc ...

BUT, this must be the greediest bunch of them all. They have been raising their fees

every year by more than 5%. I now pay 150K for primary per quarter, and over 200K

for secondary per quarter. And they way they do it, is to divide the educational year

in to FOUR quarters.

I am seriously considering withdrawing the kids from Regents and finding something else.

For this kind of money I could probably get them boarded abroad ... outrageous !

luudee

*Prices quoted are in Thai Baht

I have just returned from looking at Regents today as I have two children moving here in December. They have 3 terms, not four. Prices are as you mention, ranging from 137,00 to 143,000 per term for primary and 185,300 for secondary. Meals are 8,400 per term. But again, only 3 terms, so Year 1 (137,700/term) is 392,445 per year (includes a 5% discount if payment made up front). This info is taken directly from their admissions booklet and talking to admissions staff. Transportation fees are 17,700 per term (Naklua, North Pattaya) 19,100 (South/Central Pattaya Nern Plab Wan) 25,200 (Jomtien etc). 980+ students in total, about 100 boarders, class size maximum is 22 however every primary class we looked at had between 12-16 students (I counted school bags in the corridors lockers if I couldn't see into the rooms).

Expensive, however I was impressed with the school, teachers and even the students' behaviour.

In comparison, I looked at St Andrews on Wednesday. The school is well laid out, with plenty of open space. Total student numbers are about 420 students from memory. The school only has 2 classes in every primary level. My daughter would be looking at year 4 and these classes are already full at 20+ students per class. Class sizes are 20 with an extra 2 spots available for siblings. Total yearly costs for Year 4 was 397k and year 1 380k. Lunch fees are 17k/year. The library is a possible weakness. Very small selection, especially for secondary years.

Also keep in mind enrolment and application fees. These are a one off payment. Regents is about 95k and St Andrews works out to be about 83k.

Hope this information is helpful.

-Brett

Edited by Lostpack3t
  • Like 1

In regards to learning Thai, at Regents (I didn't ask about this at St Andrews) if your children have dual nationalities, you have the option of enrolling them as Thai or farang. What this means is if you register them as farang, the students learn two languages. Thai is taught (but written Thai is not covered very well due to lack of time). The second language is a choice of French, Mandarin and maybe one other (I forget).

If you register them as Thai, they will not learn the second language, but will learn Thai in a similar method as Thai students in Thai schools. This is by far more of a disciplined class and is taught in typical Thai fashion (ie by rote).

You do have the option of changing your option at any time.

Both my girls go to Regency. I love the school and the program. It's a great school with

great teachers, etc ...

BUT, this must be the greediest bunch of them all. They have been raising their fees

every year by more than 5%. I now pay 150K for primary per quarter, and over 200K

for secondary per quarter. And they way they do it, is to divide the educational year

in to FOUR quarters.

I am seriously considering withdrawing the kids from Regents and finding something else.

For this kind of money I could probably get them boarded abroad ... outrageous !

luudee

*Prices quoted are in Thai Baht

I have just returned from looking at Regents today as I have two children moving here in December. They have 3 terms, not four. Prices are as you mention, ranging from 137,00 to 143,000 per term for primary and 185,300 for secondary. Meals are 8,400 per term. But again, only 3 terms, so Year 1 (137,700/term) is 392,445 per year (includes a 5% discount if payment made up front). This info is taken directly from their admissions booklet and talking to admissions staff. Transportation fees are 17,700 per term (Naklua, North Pattaya) 19,100 (South/Central Pattaya Nern Plab Wan) 25,200 (Jomtien etc). 980+ students in total, about 100 boarders, class size maximum is 22 however every primary class we looked at had between 12-16 students (I counted school bags in the corridors lockers if I couldn't see into the rooms).

Expensive, however I was impressed with the school, teachers and even the students' behaviour.

In comparison, I looked at St Andrews on Wednesday. The school is well laid out, with plenty of open space. Total student numbers are about 420 students from memory. The school only has 2 classes in every primary level. My daughter would be looking at year 4 and these classes are already full at 20+ students per class. Class sizes are 20 with an extra 2 spots available for siblings. Total yearly costs for Year 4 was 397k and year 1 380k. Lunch fees are 17k/year. The library is a possible weakness. Very small selection, especially for secondary years.

Also keep in mind enrolment and application fees. These are a one off payment. Regents is about 95k and St Andrews works out to be about 83k.

Hope this information is helpful.

-Brett

These prices are comparable to those of private schools in the UK, yet the UK schools have far higher overheads and as mentioned previously, UK schools do not charge enrollment fees. So why do people pay these exorbitant prices, obviously because the Thai schools are so very bad, but I am left wondering why there is not more completion, from even more schools to bring the price down.

guzzi85m2 I am with you one this one...I have worked in oil and gas all my puff and I never knew that a private education in a 3rd world country was so expensive.

I have based myself in Thailand for the last 8 years and wracked my brains for a business that might make real money rather than chump change from the run of the mill "everybody does it" businesses here.

Now I know ...start a private school, no non refundable deposits, 1/2 the price of the Regents and St Andrews. I am onto a sure fire winner.

School for me was a 5 day week, start at 0830 finish at 1600, an hour and a half for lunch.

I never heard of private tutors ? How thick is a kid that needs to do weekends as well. If the parents turned off the telly and threw the kids i-Phone in the jungle and told them to bloody well concentrate and get on with it. The parents would save a fortune.

As for picking a school based on the "kind of contacts they make for later in life" &lt;deleted&gt; is that about ?

• Like 1

guzzi85m2 I am with you one this one...I have worked in oil and gas all my puff and I never knew that a private education in a 3rd world country was so expensive.

I have based myself in Thailand for the last 8 years and wracked my brains for a business that might make real money rather than chump change from the run of the mill "everybody does it" businesses here.

Now I know ...start a private school, no non refundable deposits, 1/2 the price of the Regents and St Andrews. I am onto a sure fire winner.

School for me was a 5 day week, start at 0830 finish at 1600, an hour and a half for lunch.

I never heard of private tutors ? How thick is a kid that needs to do weekends as well. If the parents turned off the telly and threw the kids i-Phone in the jungle and told them to bloody well concentrate and get on with it. The parents would save a fortune.

As for picking a school based on the "kind of contacts they make for later in life" &lt;deleted&gt; is that about ?

Because the teaches make all their money by teaching at weekends..therefore avoid doing enough 8.30-1600...not the kids fault for the most part.

Because the teaches make all their money by teaching at weekends..therefore avoid doing enough 8.30-1600...not the kids fault for the most part.

My two children go to evening school to brush up on their Thai. While waiting for them I have noticed many of the Thai children are brought to the school by a parents who are Teachers. Now I ask myself what quality of teacher, needs other people to give extra lessons.

My two children go to evening school to brush up on their Thai. While waiting for them I have noticed many of the Thai children are brought to the school by a parents who are Teachers. Now I ask myself what quality of teacher, needs other people to give extra lessons to their own children.

I can reccomend: Mooltripakdee International School. They follow the Montessori method and my son loved every minute he was there. It's located close to the crocodile farm so if you are living that side of Suk could be very convenient. It was 3 years ago and pricing then was around 40K per term.

Having experienced both, I'd say the Thai schools(the middle class ones, not cheap government ones like Pattaya School 1-5) are good for making connections with real people, your kids will get to be friends with the Thai Middle class, with parents that have their own business or are in high-paying job, but the curriculum will suck the life out of the kid, but your kids will have friends and connections that will set her up for life in Thailand, and being a foreigner in Thai school is still quite rare, so she'll be quite popular, but might be stereotyped as the token Farang.

International school are a bit lax in content academically compared to Thai schools, but Thai schools only focus on rote learning, if your kids goes to international school, she will be behind the Thais in Maths and Science, but only in textbook stuff. Thai schools don't teach how to think, creativity and how to solve problems. Thai school will discipline the life out of any child.

best bet would be both, start your child on Thai school, there are many with bi-tri lingual program which costs almost the same as international school now, but you will be friends with thai middle class families, if it works out stays but send your child to university overseas, of if it doesn't sends her to international high-school after she finishes primary school

I am still on the case looking around. The Maryvitt School is impressive from the outside, yet to make an appointment to talk to them.

Where is the Pattaya 1-5 School you mentioned, I Googled but no success.

Thank

I can reccomend: Mooltripakdee International School. They follow the Montessori method and my son loved every minute he was there. It's located close to the crocodile farm so if you are living that side of Suk could be very convenient. It was 3 years ago and pricing then was around 40K per term.

That School would be so good as it is a couple of klms away from where I live. The problem is it is a bit expensive for what I think we need. The girl is Thai & I think a better class Thai style school may be the answer.

The problem now is to find one.....

My two children go to evening school to brush up on their Thai. While waiting for them I have noticed many of the Thai children are brought to the school by a parents who are Teachers. Now I ask myself what quality of teacher, needs other people to give extra lessons to their own children.

I have just spent a few years working at international schools in BKK and Pattaya

To start your own international school you need mega bucks and a Thai director/backer. Many many palms to be greased to get your licence, all international schools have to be teaching Thai, that is a legal requirement, and that is another hoop to jump through to get certified for that.

For rich thai families who are cashed up, bigger is better.

Fees wise, A lot of the foreign kids are staff kids or are the kids of expat families that are working in the car industry or other industries in Chonburi. Their employers pay the fees, so they don't care about how much it costs, they are all paid for. There are exceptions to this, but they are in the minority. As far as the Thai families that go there they are generally loaded. Thai families like to see the progression of their students education all the way from kindegarten through to High School graduation.

Next off, to open your own school you need to attract the teachers, at Regents the teachers salaries range from 80000 to about 120000pm, then you need to get a quality insurance package, flights each year for the teacher and their families and also free/discounted schooling for their kids. St Andrews pay their teachers more, so do ISEA (the one at Burapha).

So crunch the numbers and you will see that your outlay is massive and then it is a very competitive environment to attract enough students to start making some money. 1 teacher per class, then hoping that they are not duds, are going to cost upwards of 80k a month. Then you need to cover admin, the director's fees, nurse, cleaners/maids, thai teacher, build a gym, playing fields, play ground, swimming pool. Resources, library, throw in insurance expenses, electricity. Economy of scale for sure.

And I agree, the international schools are Cash Cows for the owners. Pattana in BKK leaves Regents in the shade as far as how much money they make. About as close as a licence to print cash as you are ever going to get.

The cash cow is going to get bigger too. Currently no chinese nationals are allowed to be taught at International schools as per their governments regulations. Lots of international school franchises are positioning themselves for when that policy changes. At that point 10000's + of chinese kids will be heading to international schools. Those schools with boarding facilities will have the red carpet on standbye for cashed up chinese kids... there will be void in time with international school being built in China, in the mean time they will be all sent overseas. At least that is what the international company that owned my school told all the staff last year. So the schools will be greasing their palms to the extreme.

another point - Thai lessons are mostly ROTE learning, the difference between a Thai style lesson and a properly constructed Western Style lesson is completely chalk and cheese. Most Thai students aren't taught to 'think outside the box' , hence a lower ability to problem solve, adapt to change....etc..they are just taught to follow and do as they are told. Some thai classes I have been into have been absolute car wrecks.

Education is the key to getting Thailand to get to the next level, have a look at stats based on education over the last 50 years. Comparing Thai Education to it's neighbours like Singapore, Malaysia and other asia countries like Korea, China and Japan shows that Thailand is being left in the shade. Thailand's government needs to wake up, but hey, flogging a dead horse there. They train their teachers and teach the same way as what the western world did 100 years ago. And the powers that be have no incentive to empower students... why would they want to upset the applecart so that they might put their corruption lined pockets at risk. It will actually take some of those higher education Thai Students to go through the system to realise that their country needs them to do the right thing to drag it's Education system into this Millenium, the knock on effect would be massive and would move the country forward in the right direction.

Personally in Pattaya, I am impressed by the setup of Tara Pattana, it is new, clean and has a nice layout. Not sure about the teachers, they haven't yet been brought into the 'inner sanctum' of international schools of Pattaya, the 3 big ones are Regent's, St Andrews and ISEA - the one at Burapha, but that is a US curriculum based school, the other two are British. Oh and i didn't work at Tara Pattana.

Sorry rambling!

Edited by Dorkers
  • Like 1

Sure the have expensive overheads, so do private schools in the UK, probably a lot more.

Just looked at the schools web page, first reaction, good, their enrollment fee is approx 50% of other inter schools,Tuition fees are also lower. Then I looked for information on the staff, this they do supply, unlike some inter schools. However their teacher seem to be mostly Philippine nationals,
Are they competent and well trained teachers, I don't know, thou I suspect they have been employed because they are cheaper then those from the UK/Australia/NZ.

Sure the have expensive overheads, so do private schools in the UK, probably a lot more.

Just looked at the schools web page, first reaction, good, their enrollment fee is approx 50% of other inter schools,Tuition fees are also lower. Then I looked for information on the staff, this they do supply, unlike some inter schools. However their teacher seem to be mostly Philippine nationals,

Are they competent and well trained teachers, I don't know, thou I suspect they have been employed because they are cheaper then those from the UK/Australia/NZ.

The phillipino teachers are cheaper and that is the bottom line, most are hardworking and leave some of the Thai workers in the shade as far as output.

I believe they aren't as highly trained as a competent Western Trained Teacher, however they can be very effective PE teachers, Swimming, Music, art, ICT and teaching assistants. I think you will find that it most Thai Families would prefer a western/white faced classroom teacher and then have no issues about the Filipinos teaching the other aspects of the curriculum

Smaller internationals normally outsource music teachers/dance/swimming. So they aren't on the regular payroll just get a daily rate when they are there. The timetabling is done so that each class does music on the same day, or whatever other subject they are outsourcing.

Going to the school - I would check that each teacher has a Bachelor of Education (Primary). You can't get the best for your kids if they are being taught year 1 by a Geologist or an accountant, for example. A bit like a dentist doing open heart surgery. Sure they have a clue, but they don't have all the clues.

Don't mean to scuttle your plans, but you need a golden goose to kick start a school. You also need the kids, and it is a very competitive market once you get to where the money is at.

Edited by Dorkers

I am still on the case looking around. The Maryvitt School is impressive from the outside, yet to make an appointment to talk to them.

Thank

Sorry if I worded it a bit confusingly, Pattaya City-run school just number the various schools from 1-8? I think 1or2? is the one on corner of South and Second road, attached to and administered by the temple I think. School 5 is on Sukhumvit just after Central road, next to the old Petronas Petrol station, School 8 is opposite Makro on Sukhumvit road.

I'm not sure where the various numbered ones are, but these are the basic education run by Thai government/Pattaya City Hall. If you can afford it, don't send your kids to these school, on that same level of government run school the Photisamphan...longname school in Naklua on the sois to Wongamat beach http://www.pho.ac.th/index.php has better results academically

I have just spent a few years working at international schools in BKK and Pattaya

To start your own international school you need mega bucks and a Thai director/backer. Many many palms to be greased to get your licence, all international schools have to be teaching Thai, that is a legal requirement, and that is another hoop to jump through to get certified for that.

For rich thai families who are cashed up, bigger is better.

Fees wise, A lot of the foreign kids are staff kids or are the kids of expat families that are working in the car industry or other industries in Chonburi. Their employers pay the fees, so they don't care about how much it costs, they are all paid for. There are exceptions to this, but they are in the minority. As far as the Thai families that go there they are generally loaded. Thai families like to see the progression of their students education all the way from kindegarten through to High School graduation.

Next off, to open your own school you need to attract the teachers, at Regents the teachers salaries range from 80000 to about 120000pm, then you need to get a quality insurance package, flights each year for the teacher and their families and also free/discounted schooling for their kids. St Andrews pay their teachers more, so do ISEA (the one at Burapha).

So crunch the numbers and you will see that your outlay is massive and then it is a very competitive environment to attract enough students to start making some money. 1 teacher per class, then hoping that they are not duds, are going to cost upwards of 80k a month. Then you need to cover admin, the director's fees, nurse, cleaners/maids, thai teacher, build a gym, playing fields, play ground, swimming pool. Resources, library, throw in insurance expenses, electricity. Economy of scale for sure.

And I agree, the international schools are Cash Cows for the owners. Pattana in BKK leaves Regents in the shade as far as how much money they make. About as close as a licence to print cash as you are ever going to get.

The cash cow is going to get bigger too. Currently no chinese nationals are allowed to be taught at International schools as per their governments regulations. Lots of international school franchises are positioning themselves for when that policy changes. At that point 10000's + of chinese kids will be heading to international schools. Those schools with boarding facilities will have the red carpet on standbye for cashed up chinese kids... there will be void in time with international school being built in China, in the mean time they will be all sent overseas. At least that is what the international company that owned my school told all the staff last year. So the schools will be greasing their palms to the extreme.

another point - Thai lessons are mostly ROTE learning, the difference between a Thai style lesson and a properly constructed Western Style lesson is completely chalk and cheese. Most Thai students aren't taught to 'think outside the box' , hence a lower ability to problem solve, adapt to change....etc..they are just taught to follow and do as they are told. Some thai classes I have been into have been absolute car wrecks.

Education is the key to getting Thailand to get to the next level, have a look at stats based on education over the last 50 years. Comparing Thai Education to it's neighbours like Singapore, Malaysia and other asia countries like Korea, China and Japan shows that Thailand is being left in the shade. Thailand's government needs to wake up, but hey, flogging a dead horse there. They train their teachers and teach the same way as what the western world did 100 years ago. And the powers that be have no incentive to empower students... why would they want to upset the applecart so that they might put their corruption lined pockets at risk. It will actually take some of those higher education Thai Students to go through the system to realise that their country needs them to do the right thing to drag it's Education system into this Millenium, the knock on effect would be massive and would move the country forward in the right direction.

Personally in Pattaya, I am impressed by the setup of Tara Pattana, it is new, clean and has a nice layout. Not sure about the teachers, they haven't yet been brought into the 'inner sanctum' of international schools of Pattaya, the 3 big ones are Regent's, St Andrews and ISEA - the one at Burapha, but that is a US curriculum based school, the other two are British. Oh and i didn't work at Tara Pattana.

Sorry rambling!

Enjoyed your "insiders" view of International schools, very interesting! What about GIS in Ban Chang? My daughter has been going there for about 4 years and I really have no complaints about her progress or the quality of teachers. As for Thai teaching methods , you hit the nail on the head. My daughter hated it and the teachers after her early schooling in Aussie schools. She was desperate to get out of the Thai system after about 3 Months there.

Thank

Sorry if I worded it a bit confusingly, Pattaya City-run school just number the various schools from 1-8? I think 1or2? is the one on corner of South and Second road, attached to and administered by the temple I think. School 5 is on Sukhumvit just after Central road, next to the old Petronas Petrol station, School 8 is opposite Makro on Sukhumvit road.

I'm not sure where the various numbered ones are, but these are the basic education run by Thai government/Pattaya City Hall. If you can afford it, don't send your kids to these school, on that same level of government run school the Photisamphan...longname school in Naklua on the sois to Wongamat beach http://www.pho.ac.th/index.php has better results academically

Thanks for that info, that looks like an option without exploring the school.

I don't want to send her to an "International" school because she will likely live & work in Thailand & a Thai education may be better long term.

Will call them when they come down this weekend.

Cheers.//