Schools fees at an International School?

Enjoyed your "insiders" view of International schools, very interesting! What about GIS in Ban Chang? My daughter has been going there for about 4 years and I really have no complaints about her progress or the quality of teachers. As for Thai teaching methods , you hit the nail on the head. My daughter hated it and the teachers after her early schooling in Aussie schools. She was desperate to get out of the Thai system after about 3 Months there.

Oh, I forgot about Garden, they are in the inner sanctum as far as the other International Schools in Pattaya. From what I understand their salaries are a bit lower than the other international schools in the region. I have only driven past it and met a new staff member there (Western).

I think the real key is not necessarily the school, sure it is a factor, but the staff is the major element. An experienced well trained teacher who is invested into their job is the winning ticket. Regardless of how much you pay to go to the school if the teacher is half arsed and the school keep retaining them then that is not going to be the best for your kids. Most of the mid range international schools find it hard to retain the superstars at the end of their contracts, because they can seek better paying opportunities elsewhere. Some teachers, who don't necesssary dig deep just coast along and stay rooted in the same rut for x years. How are you going to find out if the teacher is a dud or not? the office certainly won't tell you. Ask to see results. If the school's are getting the students over achieving compared to the UK standards you are doing ok, as well as the historical records. Other than that speak to a teacher that you trust from the school who can give you an insight on who is up to it, who isn't - no sugar coating, no ramifications for them.

As a teacher that's what I do when I go to parent meetings about my son, I ask the teacher to tell me the truth, no positive spins, if my kid isn't performing well and it is due to their inattention, misbehaviour, basically if he is 'being a turd' tell me. Let the teacher shoot from the hip!

The sad thing about all this is that every Thai school could be teaching in the classrooms at exactly the same levels as an International school, I am not talking about resources (air con gyms, swimming pools, huge theatres), I am talking about the ability of a Teacher to empower students and teach them to open their eyes about the world around them. But, the education system here is stuck in the dark ages. A shame.

I remember going to a lecture with a whole theatre full of western teachers. We all had to go watch him as a guest speaker. Some Doctor from the Education Department. His whole mantra was for us to impart in our learning on the kids to teach Thai kids not to want. Don't envy others. Seriously. Frightening. He actually had on the powerpoint an animation of a Thai kid on the farm not being jealous of others. There he was with his chaffeur driven Merc, Doctorate, probably cashed to the hilt - his message = make sure you don't teach the kids to want! Perhaps, don't want a real education - just take what we give you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed your "insiders" view of International schools, very interesting! What about GIS in Ban Chang? My daughter has been going there for about 4 years and I really have no complaints about her progress or the quality of teachers. As for Thai teaching methods , you hit the nail on the head. My daughter hated it and the teachers after her early schooling in Aussie schools. She was desperate to get out of the Thai system after about 3 Months there. 

Oh, I forgot about Garden, they are in the inner sanctum as far as the other International Schools in Pattaya. From what I understand their salaries are a bit lower than the other international schools in the region. I have only driven past it and met a new staff member there (Western).

I think the real key is not necessarily the school, sure it is a factor, but the staff is the major element. An experienced well trained teacher who is invested into their job is the winning ticket. Regardless of how much you pay to go to the school if the teacher is half arsed and the school keep retaining them then that is not going to be the best for your kids. Most of the mid range international schools find it hard to retain the superstars at the end of their contracts, because they can seek better paying opportunities elsewhere. Some teachers, who don't necesssary dig deep just coast along and stay rooted in the same rut for x years. How are you going to find out if the teacher is a dud or not? the office certainly won't tell you. Ask to see results. If the school's are getting the students over achieving compared to the UK standards you are doing ok, as well as the historical records. Other than that speak to a teacher that you trust from the school who can give you an insight on who is up to it, who isn't - no sugar coating, no ramifications for them.

As a teacher that's what I do when I go to parent meetings about my son, I ask the teacher to tell me the truth, no positive spins, if my kid isn't performing well and it is due to their inattention, misbehaviour, basically if he is 'being a turd' tell me. Let the teacher shoot from the hip!

The sad thing about all this is that every Thai school could be teaching in the classrooms at exactly the same levels as an International school, I am not talking about resources (air con gyms, swimming pools, huge theatres), I am talking about the ability of a Teacher to empower students and teach them to open their eyes about the world around them. But, the education system here is stuck in the dark ages. A shame.

I remember going to a lecture with a whole theatre full of western teachers. We all had to go watch him as a guest speaker. Some Doctor from the Education Department. His whole mantra was for us to impart in our learning on the kids to teach Thai kids not to want. Don't envy others. Seriously. Frightening. He actually had on the powerpoint an animation of a Thai kid on the farm not being jealous of others. There he was with his chaffeur driven Merc, Doctorate, probably cashed to the hilt - his message = make sure you don't teach the kids to want! Perhaps, don't want a real education - just take what we give you.

Couldn't agree more on the dedication of the teachers. The headmaster/mistress also has a major impact. Like any business, if the boss is not setting a good example the staff will follow. I have a similar story with regards the Thai system. When we first moved here we started our daughter, then 10, at a school with all Thai teachers. At the first parent teacher interview, her teacher told us she was very disruptive in class as she asked too many questions, something that was positively encouraged at her previous school in Oz. We moved her to an international school soon after.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the child will likely grow up and live in Thailand then a good Thai school is important for them to make the right connections and friends. This is hugely important step as it will influence who they associate with and what jobs they can get etc.

I used to work at Montfort College in Chiang Mai and the kids who went there were all fairly wealthy and their networks were vastly more important to their futures than any crap we tried to teach in a room full of 55 kids.

This was 20 years ago. I dont know what Montfort is like now.

I think your first paragragh makes a very good point. They makes friends there (children of expats) then they leave Thailand when their parents leave and are left with no friends.

I have a 4 year old daughter so I am fishing around at the moment.

If I was you I would get her in school asap.

My son will soon turn 4 and he is in pre kindergarten and they already have exams, he started a year ago.

After much searching we decided on Maryvitt, app. 10-15% of the kids are of Thai/expat heritage.

They don't have a dedicated bilingual program but they have Pilipino and Chinese and Thai teachers, so they learn Thai, English & Chinese, not bad.

Only concern I have is the size of the school. about 4000 students I think and they are building another block, can be a bit of a nightmare getting your kid to/from school in the truck.

Good thing is they can stay until university, some schools here only go to 6th grade or thereabout and then you have to find a new school, not good for the kid.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. She has been in school since pre-kindergarden, first of all at Phoenix in Jomtien and now in Hastings soi country club, but will need a primary school by may 2015....to be honest I find the whole thing very overwhelming, Many things to consider and many choices. I will defo check Maryvitt out.

My daughter goes to Tara Pattana, she is only in nursery and the fees are 62.500 baht a term at the moment. Check out there website for fees for the daughter.

My son goes to Tara Pattana and in the same grade as your daughter would be. Initial fee for first term with deposit is about Bht 150k, then Bht 88k per term. It goes up as they get older.

But nice school and teachers seem to be good with the kids. Not too sure about where they get the homework assignments though. Some of the content makes no sense.

• 1 month later...

You could try Tara Pattana International School. They are in East Pattaya not far from Soi Nernplabwan.

The school is around two years old and use the British National Curriculum. I believe the fees are less than many of the larger International schools in the area.

They seem to get excellent reports from those that know the school.

If the child will likely grow up and live in Thailand then a good Thai school is important for them to make the right connections and friends. This is hugely important step as it will influence who they associate with and what jobs they can get etc.

I used to work at Montfort College in Chiang Mai and the kids who went there were all fairly wealthy and their networks were vastly more important to their futures than any crap we tried to teach in a room full of 55 kids.

This was 20 years ago. I dont know what Montfort is like now.

I think your first paragragh makes a very good point. They makes friends there (children of expats) then they leave Thailand when their parents leave and are left with no friends.

I have a 4 year old daughter so I am fishing around at the moment.

If I was you I would get her in school asap.

My son will soon turn 4 and he is in pre kindergarten and they already have exams, he started a year ago.

After much searching we decided on Maryvitt, app. 10-15% of the kids are of Thai/expat heritage.

They don't have a dedicated bilingual program but they have Pilipino and Chinese and Thai teachers, so they learn Thai, English & Chinese, not bad.

Only concern I have is the size of the school. about 4000 students I think and they are building another block, can be a bit of a nightmare getting your kid to/from school in the truck.

Good thing is they can stay until university, some schools here only go to 6th grade or thereabout and then you have to find a new school, not good for the kid.

And doing exams at the age of 4 is a good thing? Sorry, but that is way too young to start testing abilities.

Edited by Puyai

Sure the have expensive overheads, so do private schools in the UK, probably a lot more.

Just looked at the schools web page, first reaction, good, their enrollment fee is approx 50% of other inter schools,Tuition fees are also lower. Then I looked for information on the staff, this they do supply, unlike some inter schools. However their teacher seem to be mostly Philippine nationals,

Are they competent and well trained teachers, I don't know, thou I suspect they have been employed because they are cheaper then those from the UK/Australia/NZ.

By way of reference pricing, my nephew has just begun at a public school in the UK as a dayboy.Fees are Pnds 7200 per term (say Bt 360,000).By that standard Bangkok schools seem reasonably priced.

Sure the have expensive overheads, so do private schools in the UK, probably a lot more.

Just looked at the schools web page, first reaction, good, their enrollment fee is approx 50% of other inter schools,Tuition fees are also lower. Then I looked for information on the staff, this they do supply, unlike some inter schools. However their teacher seem to be mostly Philippine nationals,

Are they competent and well trained teachers, I don't know, thou I suspect they have been employed because they are cheaper then those from the UK/Australia/NZ.

By way of reference pricing, my nephew has just begun at a public school in the UK as a dayboy.Fees are Pnds 7200 per term (say Bt 360,000).By that standard Bangkok schools seem reasonably priced.

Just looked up Queen Ethelburga's in York, I think they came 15th overall in the UK educational league table.( How do the international schools compere).For a day pupil at grade 3 the fee is £2,440 per term, approx 125,000 baht, so not much different from the fees at a good international school here in Thailand,in fact lower than at some. One thing that stands out is that they do not impose an admission fee, as do all Thai international schools.

Just looked up Queen Ethelburga's in York, I think they came 15th overall in the UK educational league table.( How do the international schools compere).For a day pupil at grade 3 the fee is £2,440 per term, approx 125,000 baht, so not much different from the fees at a good international school here in Thailand,in fact lower than at some. One thing that stands out is that they do not impose an admission fee, as do all Thai international schools.

It's a reasonable school (though not one of the hiso variety) but not typical of decent UK independent schools in terms of day fees ( though its boarding fees are).In brief UK day fees are over twice the cost of elite Bangkok schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I hope you realize that international schools hardly have any Thai lessons which means your GF's daughter will have to go overseas for university.

I my view the international schools are more aimed for expats that are send here by their international company that send them to another place (not Thailand) 2-4 years later on and their kids will then attend an international school wherever that might be.

Some well off Thais send their kids there too and then they typically go to USA-Australia-UK or Singapore for university.

A good private school is fine, my almost 4 year old son attend Maryvitt school, a very demanding school, over 90% of the students ends up on university.

Discipline is strict, no students ride motorbikes to/from school, no students bugger off early, they teach them to be polite and respect everybody.

Nonsense. Plenty of English programs at universities in Thailand. Mahidol University International College is excellent...among others.

• 3 weeks later...

We have just taken my daughter out of Phoenix in Jomtien and we have decided to start our daughter at Mooltripke Intenational School (MIS) in Nong Plalai, we found Phoenix to be more interested in money than education coupled with a complete disregard for the Parents demonstrated by changing the Teacher and assistant at mid term without even telling the parents. We have decided to try MIS as it is British Curriculum and only very slightly more expensive per year (10k baht) also there is no enforced sleeping time during the day which was always one of my bugbears, we are also looking at Maryvit in a few years when she turns 7 but at the moment we have found Thai schooling very frustrating and certainly not worth the money

I keep seeing Tara Pattana mentioned and the reason we did not consider there is because it is a sister school to Phoenix sharing some of the Teachers and management I believe, it is a very nice building and appears well set up and when we visited it seemed like a good option at that time

ROBBINPATTAYA I also had a lot of the same thoughts as you especially with the fact that my daughter will be staying in Thailand and not Europe hence why I first tried the English program Thai school option, for us this was not a success hence why we are going to MIS. I believe that the first few years are important and if she can learn properly from the outset then that can only be an advantage when she goes to Maryvit in a few years time, just a thought as a parent who has been going through the same issues....

Assumption in SriRatcha has been mentioned here a few times. I have friends with Pattaya kids who go there everyday. It's very good.

Other schools my friends have used are: Aksorn school, and Satit Udomsueksa. Neither are international schools.

Regent's charge fees not intended to be paid by individuals. Their business model is to sell to large corporations who then bundle the school tuition into their expat management benefit packages.

I know one wealthy American who pulled his kids from Regent's and sent them to Aksorn.

Good luck.

This has been a very informative thread.

• 3 weeks later...

First we all have to remember this is despite the beautiful country still the 3 world

And there are no international schools here it's all big money machines with no tax to pay

Second is this jungle is different from all we now it's corrupt same like everything

No enrollment fee is worth paying

And there are no qualified teachers and I know because business men like me is who hire high educated boys and girls.

I look into every corner in the persons cv and where it's achieved before speaking to the person the truth is that Thailand is not a place where i would hire anyone from straight from university

On the other hand a person with the right education there have shown himself in order to success would be very interesting in connexion to a possible expansion of a companies interest in the chosen country

So in my best judgment I would try to find something with foundation in the Thai society

That's no matter if you or me for that wish to stay a lifetime or not

International schools are conclusively in this summary a very unhealthy decision for the child and her or he's future

It's an easy mistake to make I did it to and i should know much better but not

It's all beautiful and nice and when money don't matter it where to go until thinking

It's like many things done with good taste but inside no substance

Wherever the say the get there things from Cambridge or others it's just another scam

It's just information i hope some will pass international schools by and that's all

For the sake of all our kids and them to come

First we all have to remember this is despite the beautiful country still the 3 world

And there are no international schools here it's all big money machines with no tax to pay

Second is this jungle is different from all we now it's corrupt same like everything

No enrollment fee is worth paying

And there are no qualified teachers and I know because business men like me is who hire high educated boys and girls.

I look into every corner in the persons cv and where it's achieved before speaking to the person the truth is that Thailand is not a place where i would hire anyone from straight from university

On the other hand a person with the right education there have shown himself in order to success would be very interesting in connexion to a possible expansion of a companies interest in the chosen country

So in my best judgment I would try to find something with foundation in the Thai society

That's no matter if you or me for that wish to stay a lifetime or not

International schools are conclusively in this summary a very unhealthy decision for the child and her or he's future

It's an easy mistake to make I did it to and i should know much better but not

It's all beautiful and nice and when money don't matter it where to go until thinking

It's like many things done with good taste but inside no substance

Wherever the say the get there things from Cambridge or others it's just another scam

It's just information i hope some will pass international schools by and that's all

For the sake of all our kids and them to come

I totally disagree with you.

My kids have been going to Regents for over 8 years now (starting at pre-school)

and it has been worth every single cent. I am not rich and have to pay myself - thanks

to god I make enough to afford it.

Not once did I regret that I am sending them there and so far have felt the teachers

are very well educated. I always attend parent teacher conferences and have a

prepared set of questions/subjects I want to discuss. The teachers have always been

very professional, have presented them self accordingly, and have been able to address

any issues or concerns I might have had. I want to even say that they would often

go the extra mile to address my concerns and work with me to help my kids in their

week areas.

I don't want to say that everything is perfect, but I am certain my kids get the best

education possible in Thailand.

Your rumbling is based on your personal reviews of who knows who's CVs and is

totally unjustified when it comes to Regents (I have no personal experience with

other international schools, but would assume they are equaly good.)

luudee

I'm glad if one international school here is worth some money but surely it's overpriced

I to use to bring my girl to international schools kajonkiet/headstart 2 1/2 year

At headstart they claim to be Cambridge never the less more than halv is Philippines

Philippines or the English + teachers I think despite there probably good education don't get a job at Cambridge

Logic that's lead to another goal for a company when it start taking the wrong path by deceiving it's customers

That's why the charge to much according to in the end is accomplished

But no worry if you are happy that's very good and do hope for the best for you and your children or child

But a last thing is it's your child there must go the extra mile not the teachers in the end

Thanks for your reply

ACtually in my experience the kids with learning disabilities were the ones that went the extra mile. It just didn't always help without a skilled teacher who knew how to teach those specific kind of learners.

As for the other martinhp points, utter hogwash. There is almost nothing in your entire reply that isn't just blind ignorance. I have met with dozens of students who have graduated from many different international and private schools in Thailand that have excelled in western universities. Some are perfectly bi or trilingual. The one thing that they all had similar was that there parents were very active in their life and education.

I will agree though that the cost of private and international education in Thailand is quite high and that the more you pay doesn't always equate to the better education. However, the price of international schools is about the same as the schools I have worked at in Korea and China. The only difference is that the Thai Middle class cannot seem to make enough to pay for those top schools and it is usually the economic elite only, whereas many other countries there is a balance of middle and wealthy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ACtually in my experience the kids with learning disabilities were the ones that went the extra mile. It just didn't always help without a skilled teacher who knew how to teach those specific kind of learners.

As for the other martinhp points, utter hogwash. There is almost nothing in your entire reply that isn't just blind ignorance. I have met with dozens of students who have graduated from many different international and private schools in Thailand that have excelled in western universities. Some are perfectly bi or trilingual. The one thing that they all had similar was that there parents were very active in their life and education.

I will agree though that the cost of private and international education in Thailand is quite high and that the more you pay doesn't always equate to the better education. However, the price of international schools is about the same as the schools I have worked at in Korea and China. The only difference is that the Thai Middle class cannot seem to make enough to pay for those top schools and it is usually the economic elite only, whereas many other countries there is a balance of middle and wealthy.

Could the reason these children don't struggle in life be because of the family's wealth , and vast networks? and maybe not the high teaching standard? Honestly I have seen regents school first hand, the standard is about the same as an American suburban public school .Not worth the money .

I've worked in Thai and international schools in the Pattaya area, Robin, so perhaps I can add something here.

To run through your options, you have two main choices: private Thai schools or internationals.

For Thai schools, Assumption Sriracha's English Programme is ok (students study English, Maths and Science with native speakers) and other subjects in Thai. Only consider the English Programme; the other classes are huge and not that great. It's about 25,000B a term (3 terms).

Burapha Uni in Bangsaen also has an international section for primary and secondary students that's ok, but it may be a bit far from where you're based.

For the internationals, there are four in the area: ISE, Regents, Garden and St Andrews. I know some others have mentioned Tara International, but I really don't consider that a genuine international school. From what I understand, its teachers are not Western qualified (ie, they don't have PGCE or equivalent; most teachers are Filipino) and it currently isn't a member of any of the international school associations. Their fees, on the other hand, are similar to other full international schools.

As for the others, ISE follows the US curriculum; the rest broadly follow the English and Welsh one (there isn't a 'UK' curriculum any longer). Of these, I'm biased but I would have a look at Garden International School. It's the only one with full accreditation from the Council of International Schools (CIS) and its IGCSE and IB results are way above the global average. It also offers better value for money than the others and has relatively small class sizes.

Putting aside the financial side of it, I would opt for an international school any day as the quality in terms of teaching ability, the student body and the learning that takes place is significant. Message me if you'd like more info.

Hope that helps.

Try Burapha English Programme School (BEST). Schoolfees etc you can find on their website www.burapha.ac.th The school is on Soi 81 off Sukhumvit road . email at [email protected] tel: 038420848 and ask for the head master

That school has a very dubious history. It used to be a bi-lingual school, I would be very surprised if it passes itself off for an international school now.

Assumption school in Sri Racha is very good ,our son went there , its a catholic school but 98% of the pupils are Bhuddist ,its equally as good if not better thab Regents which i feel is vastly overpriced ,

We sent our 2 there ,both done O.K. and they dont push any religeon on the Kids. As for cost i cant remember, so it cant be out the way.thumbsup.gif

Thanks, can you give an indication of the fees you are paying at that school. I am astounded at the fees being charges by some of the "good" school here. It appears that 600,000 a year is the norm for the top half dozen schools.

My son attended one of the top 10 private schools in Melbourne, Australia & that was what we paid in the last year before university. I am positive his education was far superior to what is on offer in Thailand, not just a scholastic education but the complete personal development of the student.

My original post did say "international type schools". The daughter gets a great education in Udon at the private Christian School for about 30,000 a year all in. There are farangs teaching English & the extra English classes after school pay off as well.

OK, all food for thought & make a decision over the holidays. Maybe leave her where she is until after the school year finishes in March.

I assume your daughter is mixed Thai/farang. I have a son in my english program in Bangkok. I pay about 40% of the fee, so about 50K a year. I find the international schools here outrageously expensive and are mainly aimed at rich locals and expats on international packages with free education thrown in for their kids. There will be no problem sending your child to an EP or bilingual program. These programs are generally not suitable for western kids as many of the Thai subjects still need to be studied. My feeling, after nearly 15 years in the system, is that the education they will get (in a good Thai school) is adequate until about 9th grade. I teach maths in grade 9 and 10, and a number of my students spend a year in the US on exchange. They commented that the maths/science was quite easy for them. One of those students finished grade 12 in my school then has gone on to do a combined Thai/UK medical program. Others went on to study in Thai universities and also international programs here. At this time, MUIC is looking to be one of the better international programs here. In the past, other students have also gone overseas and studied in the UK/US and other countries.

Then a child can still study in a Thai program all the way to grade 12. A son of our friends did that, then got 800 SAT maths / 755 SAT english, then went on to study engineering at the University of Minnesota, then did a masters at Oxford, now works for an international company in BKK. Alternatively, go to a local school like my wife, do a masters in Thailand, then go and do a PhD in Australia. There are plenty of alternatives for tertiary study, so i wouldn't worry about it at this time.