Strange Phuket incident as Nigerian is thumped and robbed

webfact

Maybe this guy is the innocent victim but giving the high incidences of theft

and fraudulent crimes involving Nigerians in Thailand you can't blame folk for jumping to conclusions.

Thailand is the one place where a lot of different nationalities really do live up to their national stereotypes.

I

Yes, he is the victim, but I don't believe he is an innocent victim.

These things don't happen to the innocent.

So by your logic every Caucasian robbed or attacked in Thailand was somehow a guilty party in something? Interesting...

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and fraudulent crimes involving Nigerians in Thailand you can't blame folk for jumping to conclusions.

Thailand is the one place where a lot of different nationalities really do live up to their national stereotypes.

I

Yes, he is the victim, but I don't believe he is an innocent victim.

These things don't happen to the innocent.

So by your logic every Caucasian robbed or attacked in Thailand was somehow a guilty party in something? Interesting...

Strange reasoning you have.

<snip>

Got to go.. have to go to bank and report my skimmed visa card.. but good news is that just got a lovely letter from a dear lady in Nigeria who has a terrible problem expatriating USD 10M and wants me to help her with this.. how lovely of her

Your skimmed card can probably be traced back to eastern Europe, but your old lady to Nigeria.

• Like 1

Imagine you're the businessman who has to report this to the insurance company:

"Yes, I need to make a claim on a stolen motorbike. We rented it yesterday to a Nigerian fellow and he came back a couple of hours later with a police report indicating the bike was stolen from him."

cheesy.gif

"What? You're raising my insurance premiums?"

Actually, if I was the insurance agent of this particular business I would CANCEL their coverage. This is one of the oldest scams in the book.

• Like 1

Imagine you're the businessman who has to report this to the insurance company:

"Yes, I need to make a claim on a stolen motorbike. We rented it yesterday to a Nigerian fellow and he came back a couple of hours later with a police report indicating the bike was stolen from him."

cheesy.gif

"What? You're raising my insurance premiums?"

Actually, if I was the insurance agent of this particular business I would CANCEL their coverage. This is one of the oldest scams in the book.

But where did it originate, and what is it's number. It certainly isn't 419, so which one is it?

I

Yes, you can blame people for jumping to conclusions. That's exactly what you can do. People who blame the victim because he's black African are racist. That's what 'racist' means.

When American tourists are attacked in Muslim countries, is it their fault for being American? After all, they were probably spies and missionaries anyway right?

I blame the business. They have a right to refuse service and they failed to invoke that right. Big mistake.

Just wondering if any of these comments contradict the following forum rule?

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Just a couple perhaps? I guess Nigerians are an exception

Edited by adrock212

spending the rest of his time in Bangkok running his own business?

Long over due for a clean out of these undesirables and the individuals that assist there business endeavors in Bangkok.

A new broom sweeps clean even from Dubai.

Amazing how a little time in Thailand turns everybody racist. I know there are a lot of Nigerian scammers around but its a bit harsh just to assume if he's black them he must be one of them...if you go to the markets in BKK there are many Nigerians buying shoes and other garments for export..

• Like 1

Classic racist tv posters. Not surprised. Very common here.

that s why only write in bikes in thailand section but sometime cannot hold myself.

So for example same as assuming all australians working as shepherds here?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.[/size]

Just a couple perhaps? I guess Nigerians are an exception[/size]

Incredible that it's filled with the sort of atavistic savages that ThaiVisa posters normally aren't too keen on.

If 499 out of 500 Nigerians are some sort of scammers then assuming this one is (especially with this kind of a story) is not racist. It's just a statistics.

I don't have anything against African people at all. In my country we don't even have any kind of black people and I seriously don't care, but sometimes when I read a story like this... I would assume he's up to no good. If you insist on calling that racist go ahead but it's not about skin color.

I personally know one guy from Africa that is not dealing drugs in Thailand. However, he was up to (before, don't know now) "no good", and now he's retired (or it just seems that way).

• Like 2

my thoughts: he had promised to supply somebody with narcs, got money and cheated them. so they took his bike

how many white boys do you know are going to start a fight in broad daylight with a strapping young black man? Unless of course they were highly motivated, angry and tooled up gangsters who could afford a 4 door vigo (to get the stiff bodies in and out faster - lol)

• Like 2

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Just a couple perhaps? I guess Nigerians are an exception

Its not degrading its just the facts. Nigerians ranked number seven on a list of the top ten foreign nationalities incarcerated in Thailand. This doesn't include any allowance for those who had died while incarcerated or who had been extradited back for crimes committed. Nigerians on the other hand do not even make the top 30 list for tourist numbers in Thailand...

If you then look at the data then Nigeria presents itself as being the top country on ratio of incarceration to visitor numbers .. ergo the conclusion based on data is ?????

Sources are

1) ThaiLawReform website J Patin July 2012

2) Wikipedia Thailand Tourist data

3) Vanguardngr 2011-0

Edited by cdnvic
Fixed formatting issues
  • Like 1

Long over due for a clean out of these undesirables and the individuals that assist there business endeavors in Bangkok.

Because of his skincolour of because you presume he is doing illegal or immoral business?

Sorry Steve....not because of his colour but because he is Nigerian my radar goes up.

Isn't doing immoral also therefore illegal business?

Edited by harleyclarkey

Because of his skincolour of because you presume he is doing illegal or immoral business?

Sorry Steve....not because of his colour but because he is Nigerian my radar goes up.

Isn't doing immoral also therefore illegal business?

I don't know if the 'nigerian scams' are illegal in Thailand, hence the mention of 'immoral'.

But no, immoral is unfortunately not always illegal.

"Mr Ugwoeluchukwu told police he usually comes to Phuket for about two or three months a year, spending the rest of his time in Bangkok running his own business."

Now I know why I only get those letters for 9 months of the year.clap2.gif

Den

Amazing how a little time in Thailand turns everybody racist. I know there are a lot of Nigerian scammers around but its a bit harsh just to assume if he's black them he must be one of them...if you go to the markets in BKK there are many Nigerians buying shoes and other garments for export..

I have followed this forum for a few years now and plan on moving there next year. I initially followed this site as a way of getting some inside news and info presented in an English format to help me with the move. Seeing the continual, overtly racist comments has made wonder what has happened to these people? Did they become jaded, cynical and racist after arriving here or is it that they moved here because their views were not acceptable in their countries of origin?

It seems the mods are fairly lax in enforcing the rules with the older "untouchable" members which seems to have had the result of creating a group living in their little farang bubble, oblivious to the fact that their views are completely out of touch with what is acceptable in the real world. Not a great way of attracting new members when much of what can be seen is negativity and racism.

I hope someone puts me out of my misery if I become sad and judgemental like them after living in Thailand for a while.

I think you may want to spend some time wearing the shoes first before commenting on the outlook from them.