Strange Phuket incident as Nigerian is thumped and robbed

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if any of these comments contradict the following forum rule?

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Just a couple perhaps? I guess Nigerians are an exception

Its not degrading its just the facts. Nigerians ranked number seven on a list of the top ten foreign nationalities incarcerated in Thailand. This doesn't include any allowance for those who had died while incarcerated or who had been extradited back for crimes committed. Nigerians on the other hand do not even make the top 30 list for tourist numbers in Thailand...

If you then look at the data then Nigeria presents itself as being the top country on ratio of incarceration to visitor numbers .. ergo the conclusion based on data is ?????

Sources are

1) ThaiLawReform website J Patin July 2012

2) Wikipedia Thailand Tourist data

3) Vanguardngr 2011-0

Slur - to speak disparagingly of or cast aspersions on

What a shame? Bc they guy is nigerian, he is automatically branded as a criminal although he has been attacked and his bike is stolen by white caucasian farang!

Hope they find the caucasian robbers. I wonder where they are from though?

And as someone living here for 6 years, when i see a shirtless drunk mate from uk, my radar alarms a lot more to be frank!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If 499 out of 500 Nigerians are some sort of scammers then assuming this one is (especially with this kind of a story) is not racist. It's just a statistics.

I don't have anything against African people at all. In my country we don't even have any kind of black people and I seriously don't care, but sometimes when I read a story like this... I would assume he's up to no good. If you insist on calling that racist go ahead but it's not about skin color.

I personally know one guy from Africa that is not dealing drugs in Thailand. However, he was up to (before, don't know now) "no good", and now he's retired (or it just seems that way).

Are 499/500 Nigerians scammers? I've worked with four Nigerians and none of them were scammers. Have I been lucky?

• Like 1

spending the rest of his time in Bangkok running his own business?

Long over due for a clean out of these undesirables and the individuals that assist there business endeavors in Bangkok.

A new broom sweeps clean even from Dubai.  

Amazing how a little time in Thailand turns everybody racist.  I know there are a lot of Nigerian scammers around but its a bit harsh just to assume if he's black them he must be one of them...if you go to the markets in BKK there are many Nigerians buying shoes and other garments for export..

Have you ever tried sending money out of Thailand?

If 499 out of 500 Nigerians are some sort of scammers then assuming this one is (especially with this kind of a story) is not racist. It's just a statistics.

I don't have anything against African people at all. In my country we don't even have any kind of black people and I seriously don't care, but sometimes when I read a story like this... I would assume he's up to no good. If you insist on calling that racist go ahead but it's not about skin color.

I personally know one guy from Africa that is not dealing drugs in Thailand. However, he was up to (before, don't know now) "no good", and now he's retired (or it just seems that way).

Are 499/500 Nigerians scammers? I've worked with four Nigerians and none of them were scammers. Have I been lucky?

4 out of 170 million... no, not really.

Long over due for a clean out of these undesirables and the individuals that assist there business endeavors in Bangkok.

A new broom sweeps clean even from Dubai.

Amazing how a little time in Thailand turns everybody racist. I know there are a lot of Nigerian scammers around but its a bit harsh just to assume if he's black them he must be one of them...if you go to the markets in BKK there are many Nigerians buying shoes and other garments for export..
I have followed this forum for a few years now and plan on moving there next year. I initially followed this site as a way of getting some inside news and info presented in an English format to help me with the move. Seeing the continual, overtly racist comments has made wonder what has happened to these people? Did they become jaded, cynical and racist after arriving here or is it that they moved here because their views were not acceptable in their countries of origin?

It seems the mods are fairly lax in enforcing the rules with the older "untouchable" members which seems to have had the result of creating a group living in their little farang bubble, oblivious to the fact that their views are completely out of touch with what is acceptable in the real world. Not a great way of attracting new members when much of what can be seen is negativity and racism.

I hope someone puts me out of my misery if I become sad and judgemental like them after living in Thailand for a while.

Farang immigrants often become disillusioned with the country they've chosen to live in. Chief among their complaints is what they see as the superstitous, insular nature of the (largely rural-origin bargirl) Thais that they meet. Instead of just finding somewhere else more to their liking, many of them respond by becoming equally insular, bigoted and atavistic, for which many posts in this thread are evidence.

I recommend that you read The Black Gentlemen of Trong Suan. It's a vivid and compelling document of this process.

• Like 2

You don't really get this 'statistics' business do you?

• Like 1

The story sounds far fetched and his account of the story doesn't make sense.

From the witnesses perspective it would back up his account but come on, this doesn't happen randomly in Phuket without provocation.

Bike jacking would be very low on Phukets crime list. I agree there is something more to this story

From the witnesses perspective it would back up his account but come on, this doesn't happen randomly in Phuket without provocation.

Bike jacking would be very low on Phukets crime list. I agree there is something more to this story

How you know?

Other nationals are also subject to crime here especially white tourist and more than nigerians i am sure.

And sure you never think like there is something more about it when it is a white farang.

How you know?

Other nationals are also subject to crime here especially white tourist and more than nigerians i am sure.

And sure you never think like there is something more about it when it is a white farang.

Hey pal where did you see anyones nationality or colour get mentioned by me or Hans?? Your just looking for an excuse to pull out the race card

Long over due for a clean out of these undesirables and the individuals that assist there business endeavors in Bangkok.

Because of his skincolour of because you presume he is doing illegal or immoral business?

Although one could suspect black Africans that hang out in Nana district all night sitting around to be involved in some underworldl business, and although Nigerians have infamy from scams, there are also quite a few Nigerians that are well accomplished. A former nigeria classmate of mine and good friend was a professor of pharmacology at baylor medical college. I could barely pronounce his last name though.

Edited by atyclb

How you know?

Not saying he is a criminal.

I'm saying that its highly unlikely that he doesn't know his perpetrators.

This kind of crime doesn't happen randomly and there is more to this story.

• Like 1

How you know?

Hey pal where did you see anyones nationality or colour get mentioned by me or Hans?? Your just looking for an excuse to pull out the race card

If you think he's just, I can't see why you complain.

Long over due for a clean out of these undesirables and the individuals that assist there business endeavors in Bangkok.

Because of his skincolour of because you presume he is doing illegal or immoral business?

Although one could suspect black Africans that hang out in Nana district all night sitting around to be involved in some underworldl business, and although Nigerians have infamy from scams, there are also quite a few Nigerians that are well accomplished. A former nigeria classmate of mine and good friend was a professor of pharmacology at baylor medical college. I could barely pronounce his last name though.

The old "some of my best friends are Nigerian" angle. Obviously you dont have many Nigerians round for dinner or hang out with them in social situations. But you state that the Nigerians in Bangkok are up to no good.

Since your post has absolutely nothing to do with what went on in Phuket I will ask you this: whats your opinion on this incident?

You don't really get this 'statistics' business do you?

Considering you 'worked' with them, unless your scammer it's quite unlikey they were either?

If you have first hand experiences with another 1996 Nigerians, we can start talking statistics. ;)

499 of 500 nigerians scammers! Amazing statistic that you surely will post the web link to. If that is true I imagine the fear of competition from domestic and caucasian criminals such as boiler room, real estate cons and drug dealers is significant.

• Like 1

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.[/size]

Just a couple perhaps? I guess Nigerians are an exception[/size]

Incredible that it's filled with the sort of atavistic savages that ThaiVisa posters normally aren't too keen on.

Atavistic is a great word. More sentences should have it in them.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A 26 year old Nigerian lad...living in Bangkok, running his own business, 3 month holiday in Phuket...skin colour doesn't have a lot to do with anything....but his story does....wake up!

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.[/size]

Just a couple perhaps? I guess Nigerians are an exception[/size]

Incredible that it's filled with the sort of atavistic savages that ThaiVisa posters normally aren't too keen on.

Atavistic is a great word. More sentences should have it in them.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Our cats have atavistic tendencies. smile.png

Statistically speaking...YES

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's pretty much how it works.

More like his nationality.

Out of all the countries in Africa they seem to have the biggest rep for scamming people.

I even got e mails from them 10 years ago in Canada.

when was the last time you heard about a Rhodesian selling drugs

Edited by hellodolly

If the story were such that the victim was Caucasian and the perps were Nigerian/Black, this board would be filled with condolences for the victim and (yes) even more racist remarks about Blacks in general. Racist people are disgusting.

That said, it might be that the perps were Russian mafia who stole the bike because he decided not to do business with them. Perhaps there was money or drugs in the bike or perhaps they got the wrong guy and he really was on holiday or a working holiday from Bangkok and his legitimate business. Perhaps it was simply a hate crime directed at an innocent guy minding his own business.

In any case, where's the outrage directed at the CAUCASIAN PERPETRATORS?

Edited by SNGLIFE
  • Like 2

i expect it was a similar deal to the nigerian in pattaya who thought that renting a bike didnt involve paying 'rent' for it, just riding it into the ground and then dissapearing. of course he didnt do anything wrong, hes a fine upstanding gentleman. well, hes standing up now until he scams another bike off someone.

Just like the North European boy that took a motorbike from my guesthouse lady owner in Patong, to go 7-eleven and was not seen again.

Then the lady turned out to be less than honest too, but that's another story :)

Race an nationality do not make honesty, inner values and circumstances do.

• Like 1

and you know this because they told you they wern't scammers? If they were scammers they would hardly come forward and tell you would they?

A 26 year old Nigerian lad...living in Bangkok, running his own business, 3 month holiday in Phuket...skin colour doesn't have a lot to do with anything....but his story does....wake up!

Come on, that's like saying every overweight, elderly, bald or otherwise, tattood or not, white expat in thailand is in thailand because of social grace deficit/misfit, and general inability to attract/charm females from their home countries.

Wake up!