One dead, 25 hurt in Phuket-Nongkai bus crash

webfact

One dead, 25 hurt in Phuket-Nongkai bus crash
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1379654017_1.jpg

The wrecked bus lies on its side after the crash.

PHUKET: -- A woman from Nongkai, Khamdee On-kiew, was killed and 25 other passengers were injured when a bus from Phuket to Nongkai slid off a slippery road at 3 pm yesterday (September 19) in the Phanom District of Surat Thani.

After the driver lost control the bus crashed off the road and fell onto its side. Two children were among the injured, all of whom were taken to Baan Takhun Hospital for treatment.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-dead-25-hurt-in-phuket-nongkai-bus-crash-42005.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-20

Serious question...is there ever an accountability for the driver who had someone die under his/her responsibility? Does the driver show up for their next shift tomorrow and "try" again? Somehow, I miss the aftermath of these events, so then I wonder...are there are any consequences after an incident like this?

• Like 2

I have seen this bus in Khon Kaen once or twice just lately and my initial thought was it was an old bus to be doing such a long trip,apparently they change drivers at three separate points in the journey.A tragic accident.

Phuket bus overturns in Surat Thani – one dead, 29 injured
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- One person is dead and 29 others injured after a bus from Phuket heading for the Northeastern province of Nong Khai overturned in Surat Thani province yesterday afternoon.

“We took 12 passengers to Baan Takhun Hospital and 17 to Phanom Hospital,” said Sophol Rakthao of the Phanom Police.

“The driver, Anuchit Thongnuapaed, 32, was pinned behind the wheel. Rescue workers managed to free him and he was promptly taken Surat Thani Hospital,” he said.

Passenger Khamdee Onkhiao, 54, from Udon Thani, died at the scene.

The bus, which departed Phuket at 11am yesterday, was carrying 28 passengers and two bus crew from Phuket.

“The bus overturned at a known accident black spot – a sharp curve on the Phanom-Thappud Road in Khlong Cha-un Sub-district.

“The road was slippery, causing the bus driver to lose control of the vehicle,” Capt Sophol said.

“We are waiting for the driver to recover so we can question him about the accident,” he added.

“Most of the injured passengers have already been discharged from hospital. Only three remain in hospital care,” a Phanom Hospital staff confirmed to the Phuket Gazette.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-bus-overturns-in-Surat-Thani-one-dead-29-injured-22295.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-20

When is the Thai government of the day ever going to address Thai citizens total and utter inabiility to drive in a manner which is regarded by most westerners to be sensible.There's not a day goes by when i don't watch the news and have to witness utter carnage on the roads of Thailand, and such unnecessary waste of precious life.They say life is cheap here,I say most drivers or riders have a death wish,looking at the way they drive and the state of repair their vehicles are kept in.

• Like 2

Horrendous. Again.

Its been averaging least one a day . When will they learn to enforce road rules and speed. How sad innocent paying people die, simply trusting their lives in the hands of the unlicenced ,untrained , underskilled , incompentant, impatient or just plain stupid drivers. These so called buses need to be speed limited and if it was me in power ,all those whom were to drive public transport would undergo a very strict test before allowing them to take to the roads. Its countless the accidents that occur and more often than not speed is the cause. How disgusting this leadership is to allow so much road carnage and yet tomorrow and again we will read more of the same because they don't know how to fix it or couldn't be bothered .Emus put there head in the sand and pull it out to see if the problem goes away .typical attitude!! My sincere condolences to the family of the deceased. Another thing that bothers me here is aren't the drivers taught to give way to the right? So many times as if its the nature of driving here cars just pull out of side streets then stop in your path to look whats coming and give you a look of utter stupidity when your forced to stop even though your on the main rd. In Australia you most likely not stop and just smash into a person if they did that and you would be in the right! I often wonder who would be here cause I'm bloody tempted!

• Like 2

When is the Thai government of the day ever going to address Thai citizens total and utter inabiility to drive in a manner which is regarded by most westerners to be sensible.There's not a day goes by when i don't watch the news and have to witness utter carnage on the roads of Thailand, and such unnecessary waste of precious life.They say life is cheap here,I say most drivers or riders have a death wish,looking at the way they drive and the state of repair their vehicles are kept in.

here here with you 100%

Horrendous. Again.

Its been averaging least one a day . When will they learn to enforce road rules and speed. How sad innocent paying people die, simply trusting their lives in the hands of the unlicenced ,untrained , underskilled , incompentant, impatient or just plain stupid drivers. These so called buses need to be speed limited and if it was me in power ,all those whom were to drive public transport would undergo a very strict test before allowing them to take to the roads. Its countless the accidents that occur and more often than not speed is the cause. How disgusting this leadership is to allow so much road carnage and yet tomorrow and again we will read more of the same because they don't know how to fix it or couldn't be bothered .Emus put there head in the sand and pull it out to see if the problem goes away .typical attitude!! My sincere condolences to the family of the deceased. Another thing that bothers me here is aren't the drivers taught to give way to the right? So many times as if its the nature of driving here cars just pull out of side streets then stop in your path to look whats coming and give you a look of utter stupidity when your forced to stop even though your on the main rd. In Australia you most likely not stop and just smash into a person if they did that and you would be in the right! I often wonder who would be here cause I'm bloody tempted!

And you my friend are also 100% correct.

Hard to see clearly in the photo, but inside drive tire on left side of bus doesn't look to have much tread, who knows what the others looked like aside from the damaged right outside tire which could have happened (or not) during the accident. In the US, I certainly would not take a bus with what I considered (according to regulations) bad or worn tires but I doubt that drivers here could or would, refuse for fear of losing their jobs.

In any case, needs thorough investigation but doubtful that will be done.

Why is the name of the bus company always missing from these "news" stories? Seems like that is pretty important info, especially when choosing which bus company to travel with.

The answer my friend is you avoid all of them. I like many on here are sick of seeing a reading this everyday.

I sold my car some time back now so when it comes to the 90 day visa trip I hire a car.

I rent a car which always is very nice car for a 24hr period for 1500 baht. I even put my motorbike on the ferry and ride to Suratthani to avoid ever being on a bus. I can also arrange car to be delivered to the port if I wish at extra 1000 baht.

I have not traveled on a bus in over 10 years and this will remain the case for as long as I am in Thailand. (Which at present I am not)

I tried to do a campaign to alert travelers of the dangers of buses to put them in the picture of how many were killed on the roads in Thailand. Of course nobody who I try to enlighten has a clue that the figures are what they are,and also if you have done your homework the figures of 27,000 Is alarming,but unfortunately those figures are only the half of it.

I did several in depth searches and found that the number published is only the dead at scene. In this tragic case above it states 1 dead,if any of those 25 injured die it will not show in the stats.

You also then have to take into account that approximately 50% of the drivers do not have any licence or insurance,so if the deceased at scene has no insurance it also does not count. The more realistic figure is 87,000 killed on the roads in Thailand.

Of course this means that in general Thai roads are a disgrace and should be avoided at all costs,but this is simply unavoidable not to ever use the roads whilst either living in Thailand or here just for vacation but I prefer to know that I am in control of my vehicle myself,and will take my own risk and not put into the hands of a Yaba Drug crazed Thai driver who don't give a monkeys to his passengers lives.

I gave up my campaign because the people I was trying to educate and maybe save their lives looked at me as being depressive when I would mention that another bus has crashed and X amount of people have been killed. The only news they wanted to hear was "Whats the weather going to be like"

I gave up.... Simple as that,getting told I am depressive from so many people got to me and I thought you know what <deleted> it!! You try to be helpful and the only thanks you get is people talking behind your back saying here he goes again.

But I am sure you have all (you tubed) what goes on in Russia!!! Now that's a place I don't even fancy walking as a pedestrian never mind driving... If you have not viewed what goes on then you should they simply have not got a clue and makes Thailand look pretty normal.

Edited by kohphangan
  • Like 2

Hard to see clearly in the photo, but inside drive tire on left side of bus doesn't look to have much tread, who knows what the others looked like aside from the damaged right outside tire which could have happened (or not) during the accident. In the US, I certainly would not take a bus with what I considered (according to regulations) bad or worn tires but I doubt that drivers here could or would, refuse for fear of losing their jobs.

In any case, needs thorough investigation but doubtful that will be done.

I had made the same observation, nothing in the police statement about it?

Difficult to see all of them but it would be considered unroadworthy in Australia and charges would be laid

Many Thai Bus Drivers thinks that they are Freakin PILOTS and they thought they are flying an airplane....for God Sake! please teach these drivers how to drive safely! they're always in a hurry! "Hurry to Die!" its ok if they die alone but the fact is they are dragging every passenger to the grave!

Why is the name of the bus company always missing from these "news" stories? Seems like that is pretty important info, especially when choosing which bus company to travel with.

The answer my friend is you avoid all of them. I like many on here are sick of seeing a reading this everyday.

I sold my car some time back now so when it comes to the 90 day visa trip I hire a car.

I rent a car which always is very nice car for a 24hr period for 1500 baht. I even put my motorbike on the ferry and ride to Suratthani to avoid ever being on a bus. I can also arrange car to be delivered to the port if I wish at extra 1000 baht.

I have not traveled on a bus in over 10 years and this will remain the case for as long as I am in Thailand. (Which at present I am not)

I tried to do a campaign to alert travelers of the dangers of buses to put them in the picture of how many were killed on the roads in Thailand. Of course nobody who I try to enlighten has a clue that the figures are what they are,and also if you have done your homework the figures of 27,000 Is alarming,but unfortunately those figures are only the half of it.

I did several in depth searches and found that the number published is only the dead at scene. In this tragic case above it states 1 dead,if any of those 25 injured die it will not show in the stats.

You also then have to take into account that approximately 50% of the drivers do not have any licence or insurance,so if the deceased at scene has no insurance it also does not count. The more realistic figure is 87,000 killed on the roads in Thailand.

Of course this means that in general Thai roads are a disgrace and should be avoided at all costs,but this is simply unavoidable not to ever use the roads whilst either living in Thailand or here just for vacation but I prefer to know that I am in control of my vehicle myself,and will take my own risk and not put into the hands of a Yaba Drug crazed Thai driver who don't give a monkeys to his passengers lives.

I gave up my campaign because the people I was trying to educate and maybe save their lives looked at me as being depressive when I would mention that another bus has crashed and X amount of people have been killed. The only news they wanted to hear was "Whats the weather going to be like"

I gave up.... Simple as that,getting told I am depressive from so many people got to me and I thought you know what <deleted> it!! You try to be helpful and the only thanks you get is people talking behind your back saying here he goes again.

But I am sure you have all (you tubed) what goes on in Russia!!! Now that's a place I don't even fancy walking as a pedestrian never mind driving... If you have not viewed what goes on then you should they simply have not got a clue and makes Thailand look pretty normal.

Long post but I did actually read it all.

If you feel passionately about something, keep on posting.

You`ve put your viewpoint across well enough and I agree with most of what you say, no idea on Russia.

Doubt you`ll get any thanks but you might make some people think about how they travel.

Nothing wrong with that.

IMO.

Long post but I did actually read it all.

If you feel passionately about something, keep on posting.

You`ve put your viewpoint across well enough and I agree with most of what you say, no idea on Russia.

Doubt you`ll get any thanks but you might make some people think about how they travel.

Nothing wrong with that.

IMO.

Thank you for listening seasia,

Unfortunately my words have fell upon ignorant deaf ears,my campaign has been of a verbal approach and I have always kept quiet when the posts roll in on these sad events.

My final button was pushed about five months ago when a Canadian traveler found out that I had been living on Koh phangan 10yrs and have traveled pretty much all of it apart from the places I have no desire to visit (Pattaya) will give you an example.

We got talking about this and that and a long pleasant chat went on for 45mins. He then tells me he is heading to Bangkok from Phangan and what is the best way in my opinion to go. I will try and keep this short but short the advice was not giving him every possible approach with all the times all the boat companies etc better in my opinion that a travel agent.

I then told him of my research results and knowing what I know after 10 years of reading and seeing such stories as this one,I would avoid every way you can not to take the bus.

Seriously from the moment he sat down we talked for a wasted 1hr 15mins !! Why I say wasted is that after hearing stone cold facts from somebody who knows what he is talking about he says " Ummm I think i'll take the bus" !!!

I looked at him and said you F***king idiot!! I am telling you now how ever long your here for don't ask me anything!! Not one single thing,infact Don't even bother talking to me you ignorant P***k.

I had already noticed people that I know pretty well who come here for 2-3 months during our conversation giving that here we go again look I mentioned in my last post. When in my raised voice I told Mr who knows better Canadian guy what I thought about him,again people were shaking their head for <deleted>'s sake.

My morals in life have always been to never give up.... But I have on this one... My actual last thing I said to Mr Canadian was I hope your bus does crash and the last thing you get to think of is ME telling you not to take the bus (It was said with a smile) .

I won't be offended if you don't read all of it.... Just nice to get something of my chest that has been brewing for some time... Sorry it's directed your way... Take care seasia