Phuket Immigration cracks down on yachting, marine industry

webfact

Phuket Immigration cracks down on yachting, marine industry
Phuket Gazette

boat.jpg
One of the boats being constructed. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: -- Phuket Immigration chief Sunchai Chokkajaykij today confirmed that his office has launched a crackdown on foreigners working illegally in Phuket’s yachting and marine industry.

The news follows the arrests of a German man and a Swiss man who were caught building their own boats on their own properties in Chalong late yesterday afternoon.

“We have been targeting foreigners working illegally for some time, and right now we are focusing on the yachting and marine industry,” Col Sunchai said.

“I cannot reveal where we will raid next, as we don’t want to give any warning to those who are breaking the law,” he added.

However, Col Sunchai gave a general warning to all foreigners involved in any form of marine transport: “We will check everywhere there are boats – the ports, the piers – everywhere,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Immigration-cracks-down-on-yachting-marine-industry-22294.html

[pg]2013-09-20[/pg]

Wow biggest joke ever!

I like spending time to fix and upgrade my motorbike. Should i also worry about that? I better ask a work permit.

This is ridiculous. How can someone building his own boat can threaten the job market in Thailand?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thats really ridiculous. 

If something you do for yourself on your own ground is declared illegal then really everything can be interpreted as working illegal, even going shopping. 

"even going shopping" - well; let me enlighten you: YES; even going shopping ! ! !

About 2 years ago, when I was on a project in Hua Hin, it so happened that a chap (with a W/P !) went to the local Hafele store to purchase some hardware for the building he was working on; the Immigration Police walked in and asked him what he was doing . . . . He calmly answered that he was purchasing hardware for the job-site, for which he had a W/P. He was instantly arrested, because they "reasoned" that his work-permit only allowed him to 'work' on the address of the building site and nowhere else ! ! ! ! 

With regards to these 2 constructing boats in their respective back-yards: it is entirely possible that they are building these yachts, under contract to some customer, in which case they ARE working illegally.

I am certain that if you were building a boat for yourself in your back-yard that nobody would touch you.

TIT

coffee1.gif

• Like 1