Phuket Immigration cracks down on yachting, marine industry

webfact

I have only read half of the posts but as someone who is a chief offender (working on my yacht in Phuket) I can add something.

During the Phuket King's Cup Regatta in 2011 the question was raised about whether or not it was legal for foreign yachtsmen and their crews to work on yachts.

The Phuket Gazette carried a report that the governor of Phuket had said that they could work legally and that they did not require a work permit to work on and to sail their yachts.

Must go as I have to do some concreting on a pathway by My WORKSHOP in the basement of MY HOUSE that I OWN (legally) and I BUILT.

Any idea how ASEAN will change this? Will it be as in EU today, that any EU company can work in any of the EU countries? So basically Thais could not demand that 4 workers per one foreign owner/worker and Thais owning the majority of shares anymore? 

That would be fantastic!

I have only read half of the posts but as someone who is a chief offender (working on my yacht in Phuket) I can add something.
During the Phuket King's Cup Regatta in 2011 the question was raised about whether or not it was legal for foreign yachtsmen and their crews to work on yachts.
The Phuket Gazette carried a report that the governor of Phuket had said that they could work legally and that they did not require a work permit to work on and to sail their yachts.
Must go as I have to do some concreting on a pathway by My WORKSHOP in the basement of MY HOUSE that I OWN (legally) and I BUILT.

Actually they would be working on a landing visa. This is a temporary stay and in most cases its less than 7 days and it normally doesnt require a stamp in the workers passport. For example can you imagine a air hostess that regularly travels from Perth to Bali? The passport would be filled up in a month. So all goverents around the world treat air crew with a different kind of visa. The same applies for people temporarily working on internationally flagged ships entering the kingdom whether that be for a special event like yachting, cargo, passengers or dry docking. Unfortunately it doesnt cover seamen working long term in a garage

Actually they would be working on a landing visa. This is a temporary stay and in most cases its less than 7 days and it normally doesnt require a stamp in the workers passport. For example can you imagine a air hostess that regularly travels from Perth to Bali? The passport would be filled up in a month. So all goverents around the world treat air crew with a different kind of visa. The same applies for people temporarily working on internationally flagged ships entering the kingdom whether that be for a special event like yachting, cargo, passengers or dry docking. Unfortunately it doesnt cover seamen working long term in a garage

Of the two thousand plus yachtsmen that take part in the King's Cup every year, the vast majority, including most of my crew arrive by air on a visitor's pass. The yachts and their owners stay here in Thailand.

The governor of Phuket was saying that he doesn't want to kill the "Goose that lays the Golden Egg".

If Thailand does not want to loose even more of the yachting business to Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam, then it had better wake up. 

Most of it has gone already including many of my customers.

These sort of exemptions usually only apply to crew on commercial vessels with signed agreements (called Articles)with the master.  (Similar, but different, with air crew)

Usually there are different rules for private yachts. The master may be exempt, but crew not.

(disclaimer:  I'm talking about most Western countries, not sure about Thailand) 

In Oztralia the definition of "work" is anything you do that requires effort! Industrial Safety Inspectorscan legally enter any building or site where they believe work is being done and, if you deny them access they can and do get the police to force entrance!

This includes washing up the dishes in the kitchen sink!!!  thumbsup.gifsad.png

Not sure if you are talking about immigration visa breaches or Industrial health and safety rules. You post seems to be mixed.blink.png

That's not the legal definition of work if you're talking about Immigration.

• 4 months later...
So in short after all this debate can I build myself a boat in the garden or not?
If I did, it'd take a couple of years to complete in my spare time off work.
How would I go about doing it legally as a hobby for private use only?
I am in full time employment here with work permit & all related paper work is in order.

How does one comply with the rules to have a job with WP 'and' build a boat in their spare time as above?

• 5 months later...

Let's say there is an accident. You have now two choices: getting arrested for doing CPR without a work permit, or getting arrested for not giving assistance.

Read up on good samaratin laws in Thailand. You are not allowed to give any first aid

If a thai accidentally fell off a chaypyra boat and a foreigner jumped in and saved their life do you believe he/she would be arrested for volunteering as a lifeguard without a wp?

No but if you are on a chaprya boat and its registered in Thailand your not allowed to have an AED on board. Similar to airports. Why dont you see AEDs in Thai airports but you see them at every other airport/office building/school in the world? My point is that only medical professionals from Thailand are allowed to administer first aid. So you could get pinched twice...no WP and breaching good samaratin laws

Sorry,but what's an AED ?

I don't get you lot... I luv my herbal remedies and really, really wish it was legal. But it ain't. I love workin'

on my bikes, cars, house, boat... wish it was legal but I know it ain't! Doesn't stop me, never had an issue. But at least I know the laws of the country I'm living in. There seems to be a whack of y'all out there that have absolutely no concept of the laws of this sovereign nation and absolutely no concept of your lot as an expat/immigrant. Thailand ain't Kansas kids and no-freakin-body here could give a <deleted> what you think. Kinda like life for Chinese, Irish, Italian, eastern european immigrants to the good ol' USA around 1900...

+1clap2.gif

Does anyone on this forum know personally of somebody being arrested and charged for gardening, doing maintenance on their house, fixing their bike, washing their car, playing music and singing karaoke etc. etc. etc.?

Chill folks it's not that serious thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

• 5 years later...