Phuket Immigration cracks down on yachting, marine industry

webfact

The Mrs. is gonna be pissed when I tell her she has to mow the lawn from now on, and fetch my beer.

I just told my missus that I cant open my own beer now. She is really angry. I told her its Thai law and there is nothing I can do about it... life just keeps getting better biggrin.png

i'm not sure it legal to wipe your own bum after a no 2 anymore, better check with immigration

wait a min, is going to check something with immigration considered work?

• Like 2

I made myself beans on toast this morning, should I turn myself in?

No, don't do it! Turning yourself in without proper documentation is illegal and can land you in a world of hurt. Maybe you should play it safe and hire an attorney to turn you in.
  • Like 1

What about the beach clean up this weekend?

Nothing to do with this, but: volunteer work, and workpermit required.

Really?? You have to get a work permit to pick up rubbish??? That is insane

It is insane but it is true, volunteer work requires WP. As some may recall 2004 tsunami that hit Phi-Phi islands and Phuket, a lot of tourists that rushed in to help the victims were arrested and kicked out of the kingdom.
Thai law system is so retarded and outdated on so many ways but I don't see anything being done about this.
The officers in these cases must be getting bonuses and promotions so they go for the number. It doesn't matter if Thailand as a whole benefits from volunteer's work, if they can benefit from it, they would go for it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

As if that is not funny enough, having him say that they will not tell where they will strike next so they do not give away the surprise??? He must really be taking the piss. They give away almost ever raid they have ever done for every serious crime that is committed in this country. Yet this hobby law is the one they don't want to give anyone the heads up on??? WOW....just.... Wow!!!!  that's all I can say.

• Like 2

facepalm.gif Pull your necks in, idiots. 

Don't know or like the laws here? GO HOME. Simple.

We all love to criticise but seriously, if you want to live somewhere, know the laws. Stop blaming people for finally upholding their own laws - even if to foreigners the laws seem bonkers.

Edited by Johnnie99
  • Like 1

Madness, I arrive on my own yacht, which in the past i have done, according to this if I am washing down my decks am I liable to prosecution for working, or I am repairing the radar same again

I know the Philippines would welcome foreigners there who want to build or repair their own yachts.  No questions asked.  What's wrong with Thailand?  We are not welcome anymore?  For the first time in 5 years, my retirement visa was not approved due to new requirements that are not in writing.  Just the immigration officer's discretion as to what they need for documentation.  It's time to reconsider my desire to live in Thailand.

• Like 2

Let's say there is an accident. You have now two choices: getting arrested for doing CPR without a work permit, or getting arrested for not giving assistance.

Read up on good samaratin laws in Thailand. You are not allowed to give any first aid

gotta love it dont ya, greed and ignorance getting in the way of decent  people who wouldnt think twice about assisting those in need

• Like 1

Let's say there is an accident. You have now two choices: getting arrested for doing CPR without a work permit, or getting arrested for not giving assistance.

Read up on good samaratin laws in Thailand. You are not allowed to give any first aid

If a thai accidentally fell off a chaypyra boat and a foreigner jumped in and saved their life do you believe he/she would be arrested for volunteering as a lifeguard without a wp?

If a thai accidentally fell off a chaypyra boat and a foreigner jumped in and saved their life do you believe he/she would be arrested for volunteering as a lifeguard without a wp?

No but if you are on a chaprya boat and its registered in Thailand your not allowed to have an AED on board. Similar to airports. Why dont you see AEDs in Thai airports but you see them at every other airport/office building/school in the world? My point is that only medical professionals from Thailand are allowed to administer first aid. So you could get pinched twice...no WP and breaching good samaratin laws

Has no one actually bothered to read and understand the labour laws here. As LiK has alluded - yes most of our hobbies are considered work. Gardening, car repair/modify, yacht building... Not that I agree with it but these guys got popped for an antiquated but valid law. We all suppose that no one is gonna bother with our little bits of 'work', BUT there is always the chance!

I know of many farrang who build their own boats/ultralights/hoovercraft etc... in their own yards (or buy and sell cars/bikes) and surprisingly about a week or two after their 'project' is done they sell it. Don't bitch if you are trying to avoid the work permit and legal Thai company...

I tell the wife that as much as I would love to help out in the garden I'm just not allowed to.   sad.png

But I can laze in the pool with a cold beer instead.   smile.png

In all fairness, if those two guys have sold boats before or was going to sell the boats they where making - yes then they are breaking, not only immigration laws, but they are also guilty of tax evasion. With the value of a medium sized sailboat, you would go to jail back home in the west, and get a fine according to the evasion.

But

If it's a hobby project, its simply insane. And despite what people keep repeating, i simply refuse to believe that if you are given entry permit, according to Immigration Act, B.E. 2522, you are breaching said immigration law, by building a boat in your garden.

What Phuket BIB choose to do with those faring, we all know, might not be to the letter of the law.... 

• Like 2

What a bunch of idiots. I lived in Thailand for "20 Years" and it was the Thais acting just like this that eventually drove me out! What with the Visa/work-permit requirements or the need money in the bank every year, ghastly traffic - being called "Farung" at every given opportunity, and now one cannot even do what one want's on one's own property! Thailand you need a sharp wake up call to who actually brings money via tourism/foreigners unto your shores...I'm so glad I left the so-called land of smiles just over a year ago, and live with the grown-ups....Namaste...:-)

Edited by Wheelbase21
  • Like 2

Ridiculous and racist. Thai Authorities seem to only clamp down on Foreigners while allowing their own to get scot free of almost any criminal activity.

If these Foreigners were only building their own boats then this cannot be construed as work. Work is engaging in employment and according to the reports this was not the case.

• Like 1