Phuket Immigration cracks down on yachting, marine industry

webfact

Has no one actually bothered to read and understand the labour laws here. As LiK has alluded - yes most of our hobbies are considered work. Gardening, car repair/modify, yacht building... Not that I agree with it but these guys got popped for an antiquated but valid law. We all suppose that no one is gonna bother with our little bits of 'work', BUT there is always the chance!

I know of many farrang who build their own boats/ultralights/hoovercraft etc... in their own yards (or buy and sell cars/bikes) and surprisingly about a week or two after their 'project' is done they sell it. Don't bitch if you are trying to avoid the work permit and legal Thai company...

Can I wipe  my own backside or should I get the staff to do it?, hand relief or should I get the staff to do it? perhaps we should get a statement of what we CAN do rather than what we cant?

The Police come to my land regularly often whilst im building the house, they always get a drink and a chat bit of fruit and off they go after they have had their 1k baht for my RED box.

• Like 2

I would not be surprised at all if in the end it becomes known that both have done this before and have sold their yachts after completion.

This does seem the logical conclusion in THIS case , but who really knows???

• Like 1

You can improve your house/property and sell for a profit or pimp a car and sell for a profit. A lot of hobby related stuff could potentially make money.

Your not allowed to own a house as a falang

Yes you are. No problem there as long as it is listed as a separate legal entity as the land it is on. This is easier if you are building it rather than buying it already built. :)

• Like 1

What a bunch of idiots. I lived in Thailand for "20 Years" and it was the Thais acting just like this that eventually drove me out! What with the Visa/work-permit requirements or the need money in the bank every year, ghastly traffic - being called "Farung" at every given opportunity, and now one cannot even do what one want's on one's own property! Thailand you need a sharp wake up call to who actually brings money via tourism/foreigners unto your shores...I'm so glad I left the so-called land of smiles just over a year ago, and live with the grown-ups....Namaste...:-)

Yes, you sound like a picture of happiness. :)

This is absolutely a joke. Needing a work permit to have a hobby now. Im gonna cook the missus dinner tonight - will i be arrested for doing this????? because this is the ridiculousness of what they have done and are suggesting. Small minded people 

Unfortunately, they'd have nothing else to do if it weren't for silly things like this. They need to justify their existence and give themselves something to do. Same with most law enforcement/groups/committees.

• Like 1

You can improve your house/property and sell for a profit or pimp a car and sell for a profit. A lot of hobby related stuff could potentially make money.

yes u can but not the land it sits on.

Yes you are. No problem there as long as it is listed as a separate legal entity as the land it is on. This is easier if you are building it rather than buying it already built. :)

Try explaining that one to immigration:lol:

The comment regarding previous build and dispose of is a possibility, I would be interested to know the answer.

I have to say that law enforcement could be better deployed looking at corruption, but where will you find someone clean enough to accept the role??

This has got to be the greatest display of childish madness I have seen ever since I arrived here years ago.....

About time our home countries started to apply these rules to Thais when they arrive there....Tit for Tat.

My god...don't they realize the potential, of utilizing the expertise and experience they have here, that FALANGS can provide....if treated equally.

This country will die a horrible death economically if they don't wake up soon, and stop this crap.....

Rant over...thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I would not be surprised at all if in the end it becomes known that both have done this before and have sold their yachts after completion.

Boat building is not a cheap hobby as gardening so when you finish a boat you better sell it before you  start a new one. When I see the picture, the boat looks really like a back yard project which you will sell with (a big) loss. Thrust me if you want to be a millionair in boat building you better start as a multi-millionair there is no money to be made with such a one-off project you do it for the fun only. 

• Like 1

This country will die a horrible death economically if they don't wake up soon, and stop this crap.....

No it won't.

There'll always be queues of Westernmen trying to live here no matter what.

When one sour guava rots away to the bitter core, another two fresh ones fall from the tree. ;)

• Like 2

facepalm.gif Pull your necks in, idiots. 

Don't know or like the laws here? GO HOME. Simple.

We all love to criticise but seriously, if you want to live somewhere, know the laws. Stop blaming people for finally upholding their own laws - even if to foreigners the laws seem bonkers.

Like you're not raving about your own government and the laws you have to live under at home. And fail to get things going to change sth. about them.

What's wrong with an innocent little hobby?

Not sure this one, or the one where BiB arrested a guy in a KAREOKE bar for "singing without a work permit" is the most stupid.

Many guys jamming in blues bar in Chiang Mai were arrested and thrown in jail about a year or two ago. There was no payment involved and all for the love of music.

It was very well documented as (iirc) there were a couple of instances of it happening over a week or two period.

Edited by pilm
  • Like 2

surely building a boat for yourself on your own property is a hobby not work......if i do my own gardening am i working?

You will not be doing your own gardening as you cannot own a garden, as that is land.

Gardening is a restricted profession. As such, working on a Thai's gardens (be it legally your wife's land, or whoever) is taking the job away from the Thai and is therefore illegal.

Driving your wife's car while she is in it must be illegal, as that is the job of a Thai driver.

Please Aliens, read up and understand how little you are here.

You can lease land that you control. So working on it yourself is not illegal.

And there are ways to own land legally. I did it

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

No it won't.

There'll always be queues of Westernmen trying to live here no matter what.

When one sour guava rots away to the bitter core, another two fresh ones fall from the tree. wink.png

You quite possibly haven't noticed that Western Men are a bit thin on the ground lately, so hurrah for the Russians (who bring their own), and the Chinese, who are bussed about in pre paid tour groups. Do keep up.

• Like 1

This has got to be the greatest display of childish madness I have seen ever since I arrived here years ago.....

About time our home countries started to apply these rules to Thais when they arrive there....Tit for Tat.
My god...don't they realize the potential, of utilizing the expertise and experience they have here, that FALANGS can provide....if treated equally.

Rant over...Posted Image

More falang here than thais THERE...LOL

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not sure this one, or the one where BiB arrested a guy in a KAREOKE bar for "singing without a work permit" is the most stupid.

Many guys jamming in blues bar in Chiang Mai were arrested and thrown in jail about a year or two ago. There was no payment involved and all for the love of music.

It was very well documented as (iirc) there were a couple of instances of it happening over a week or two period.

This particular piece of flash in a pan stupidity made the news for a nano second over some bunch of Grateful Already Dead neverwases here on Phuket some years ago. Big splurge in local farang press and sod all since. Don't be so dramatic.

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

This is absolutely a joke. Needing a work permit to have a hobby now. Im gonna cook the missus dinner tonight - will i be arrested for doing this????? because this is the ridiculousness of what they have done and are suggesting. Small minded people 

damn, I cooked dinner for my family tonight. will the immigration plonkers come knocking on my door. Also, I repaired a rudder for my boat last weekend.

what can I do?

petrified in pattaya