3 British citizens arrested for overstaying on Phuket

webfact

Funny how a good chunk of the responses from TV viewers frothing at the mouth at the audacity of the police catching people over-staying are probably also the first ones to bemoan the over-running of their native homes by 'foreigners'. What makes you more superior in Thailand?

• Like 1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of this sorry ..if indeed there is one...if one is on an overstay then never discuss your visa details with anyone..... Visa runs are a popular subject among ex pats, keeps mouth shut and agree to doing boring visa runs and moan about them like everybody else..

I know a friend who had over a year overstay, when he was departing country, at airport immigration he told them he had overstay immediately , had 20k baht in his hand and passed it across, immigration official was very polite and said mai be lai ..mai be l ai..,.. passed the passport complete with Boarding pass/ticket , 20k bht to a collegue sitting at overstay desk, who filled in 2 forms which my friend had to sign, made an overstay stamp in his passport,... said naughty man to him... assured my friend that it would have no affect on future visa applications and waved him onto departure lounge.. ..

money talks in thailand. I wonder why the loser described here didnt just do the visa runs instead?

Thats incredibly funny how thai police like to be on pictures,giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif for everything they get, they catch or whatever they do, they are always sticking on all the bloody photos LIKE a HUNTERbeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu showing his dead PREY.....what an ego they have ......!

PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY WAY FOR THEM TO BECOME FAMOUS.bah.gif

And what a shame for this big kind of news...3 smilling fellows who where overstaying and spending their own money to live and enjoy their lifexpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS. , the minister of tourism should welcomeani.gif them because they did contribute on their overstay to the economy of thailand anyway.burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gifviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gifdrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

the reality is that the thai government whant only one kind of tourism:

Come ...spend your money to our lovely thailand ...in 1 or 2 weeks time...4 maximum, BUT PLEASE dont forget after to piss of back to where you belong ...!otherwise we will deport you like a criminal.and you will be also black listed .

They are so proud that one day the thais will cry when everybody goes away from thailand, but then as usual it will be too late.coffee1.gif

I give them a round zero 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif to their politic of immigration.

Gentlemen, and others, we can bitch and moan about the way things are done in Thailand.

It does not, nor will it ever matter. It will always be done the Thai Way. All that we can do, is

Smile, say Thank You. and hand over the money.

Three Options: #1. Is as stated . #2..Over stay and face the consequences

#3. Do not come to Thailand

• Like 1

As far as I know you should ALWAYS carry you passport with you in Thailand, so it is a 'normal' question.

I have a copy of EVERY page of my passport in my Dropbox so I can show them my visa if requested.

The first sentence is not strictly true. Proof of identity usually satisfies BIB. If the police are not satisfied with photo copies you have two hours to produce your passport. When a road block cop tried to scam me I told him that I could take him to my home and show him my passport in under two hours. The law said nothing about bringing him back. I was immediately sent on my way.

Apart from carrying my driving licence secreted in my truck, I keep copies of the main page and the page showing my latest visa extension in the glove box.

My passport is kept under lock and key except when visiting Jomtien Immigration office for any reason.

All very nice and we can all play the card of innocense meanwhile sometimes the laws are not as clear as they can be. Besides, which foreigner in the UK or the rest

of Europe needs to show either 800.000B or has to get married to stay longer than a little while. I still feel a lot for the eye for an eye policy: If you can't own a house here. Thais should not be able to own one in your country until they change the law. If you can't stay here for a prolonged holiday unless you pay through your nose for it, do the same to the Thais abroad. If you can't own a car on a tourist visa, do the same abroad to the Thais. If you need to report every three months to police....etc etc. See how that feels. We all know that lots of Thais own numerous houses (read: Villas) and cars in our countries of origin. But that all seems to be ok and fine.

Totally off topic and totally irrelevant. Like it or not the rules are the rules, break them at your own discretion. Where is self honesty and regard for discipline in this world these days. If it were me to decide on results such as this, then I would suggest the minimum of a 3 month confinement. Then we will see how these "arrogants would possibly change their attitudes.

Try these tricks in China and see then how important you think you are

I

• Like 2

British, Irish expats in Phuket arrested by Immigration

Phuket Gazette

brit2.jpg

Paul Wild (left) and Aaron Quinn pictured at Phuket Immigration after their arrest at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Three Phuket expats from Ireland and England will be deported from Thailand after being caught in Cherng Talay for overstaying.

Officers moved in and arrested Alex Good, 27, from Ireland, at a restaurant near Cherng Talay Police Station at 3:30pm yesterday, said Lt Col Chidchanok Sakornyen of Phuket Immigration.

“We had been following him for a while as we had been informed he was staying illegally in the country,” Col Chidchanok explained.

“We asked him for his passport. He said he didn’t have it with him. We took him to the immigration office in Phuket Town and checked his details on our database.

“We found he entered Thailand on May 4 through Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 18,” he said.

The arrest of Mr Good follows the arrests of two English expats – Aaron Liam Quinn, 37, and Paul Wild, 49 – at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday.

“Mr Quinn entered Thailand at Phuket Airport August 12, 2012 and was allowed to stay until January 9, 2013,” explained Col Chidchanok.

“Mr Wild entered the country at Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 27, 2011,” he added.

All three men confessed to overstaying their visas.

“The three of them have been charged with illegally staying in the country and will be sent to Bangkok to be deported,” Col Chidchanok said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/British-Irish-expats-in-Phuket-arrested-by-Immigration-22304.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-21

Smiling like it's a joke. Put the Brit behind bars! God, they are smug, pompous, arrogant individuals.

All very nice and we can all play the card of innocense meanwhile sometimes the laws are not as clear as they can be. Besides, which foreigner in the UK or the rest

of Europe needs to show either 800.000B or has to get married to stay longer than a little while. I still feel a lot for the eye for an eye policy: If you can't own a house here. Thais should not be able to own one in your country until they change the law. If you can't stay here for a prolonged holiday unless you pay through your nose for it, do the same to the Thais abroad. If you can't own a car on a tourist visa, do the same abroad to the Thais. If you need to report every three months to police....etc etc. See how that feels. We all know that lots of Thais own numerous houses (read: Villas) and cars in our countries of origin. But that all seems to be ok and fine.

This may be a little off topic but it ain´t as easy to enter the UK for anyone whose original country is not one of the "Approved" ones.

For a foreigner entering Thailand it´s easy as a tourist, just arrive and get a tourist visa!

You want to stay longer, just do border runs, so why overstay?

If you are a Brit, how would you be expected to know what a foreigner - not from Europe has to do to even make a short tourist visit?

You will never need to apply for a visa, but your Thai wife will have to.

There is no on arrival 30 day tourist visa that I am aware of.

Being married to a Brit means nothing.

There is a family member visa or a General Visit visa and that´s it.

You have to give the names and addresses/phone numbers of the people that you will visit.

You have to state how much money you have for your visit and I can tell you that 5,000 GBP is not enough for a visit of two or three weeks.

and much much more, about 120 questions on the online form.

Go ahead and go through the process of applying for a visa online, then you will be much better informed.

The Border Control website is a minefield.

Don´t let the cost of about 100GBP put you off as you will not need to make the mandatory trip to the only Brit Embassy who is able to take the applicant´s fingerprints and photo. This location may be hundreds of miles away, you may need an overnight stay and still be refused with weazel words like;

On the balance of probability, we do not think that you are sufficiently tied to your country of residence, that we feel you may overstay and or relay on the welfare state etc. etc.

Mods, if this is too far off topic, would it be worth starting a new topic on the difficulties for Thais to enter the UK or is there one already online?

• Like 2

I can't help to think about when it wasn't really a big deal to overstay. Now we have fools like this; who laugh at their own stupidity and fail to see that because of people like them that press the envelope making problems for the rest of us. I have been here many years and never overstayed once. I not saying it doesn't happen, what I am saying is for those who mistakenly over looked their stay will eventually become a victim to stricter rules regarding overstays because of idiot like this.

I would wager that these two clowns don't give a monkey's cuss about causing we compliant farangs problems.

Since it appears that these two have no qualms about breaking the laws of the country wouldn't a real cop (i.e. not BIB) also wonder what else they have been up to?

• Like 1

Geez it is nearly impossible for a Thai to travel to the US unless of course they have big bucks and family connections, Plan old Somchai isn't coming to America or Great Brittan. Do a bit of research on the drivel you posted before posting

There are plenty of Thais all over the world but granted mostly the richer ones. Most of those who choose to live abroad can buy their own properties, obtain citizenship fairly easily and work without being illegal. There are huge reasons why reciprocation would be a great idea for it would change the mind sets of the elite in this place whichis sorely needed.

Looking at the smirks on their faces I don't think they're particularly bothered.. got away with it for as long as possible, they will go back to a nice welfare handout no doubt, paid for by those who stay home and work for a living as apposed to being on an overstay/permanent holiday!!

Good riddance to bad rubbish!!

I don't understand people like you. So quick to comdemn and to make and pass judgements. You know nothing about these people yet you are here telling the World they will be going back to welfare handouts etc. You label them as 'rubbish' on the grounds of an overstay? Weird to say the least.

I don't think that many would think that they are fine upstanding, responsible members of their community. Do you not think that the smirk on their faces speaks volumes? Do not appearances count for anything?

• Like 1

Smiling like it's a joke. Put the Brit behind bars! God, they are smug, pompous, arrogant individuals.

Again, tell me about your life here and I guarantee that we will soon find out about laws you frequently break in Thailand that are far worse than just "being here for too long".

"Put them behind bars!" - a lot of expats, probably yourself included, come here because of the looser laws compared to your home country. Do these overstayers really deserve to be locked up abroad for the crime of just not walking outside the country and then walking back in??

• Like 1

This may be a little off topic but it ain´t as easy to enter the UK for anyone whose original country is not one of the "Approved" ones.

For a foreigner entering Thailand it´s easy as a tourist, just arrive and get a tourist visa!

You want to stay longer, just do border runs, so why overstay?

If you are a Brit, how would you be expected to know what a foreigner - not from Europe has to do to even make a short tourist visit?

You will never need to apply for a visa, but your Thai wife will have to.

There is no on arrival 30 day tourist visa that I am aware of.

Being married to a Brit means nothing.

There is a family member visa or a General Visit visa and that´s it.

You have to give the names and addresses/phone numbers of the people that you will visit.

You have to state how much money you have for your visit and I can tell you that 5,000 GBP is not enough for a visit of two or three weeks.

and much much more, about 120 questions on the online form.

Go ahead and go through the process of applying for a visa online, then you will be much better informed.

The Border Control website is a minefield.

Don´t let the cost of about 100GBP put you off as you will not need to make the mandatory trip to the only Brit Embassy who is able to take the applicant´s fingerprints and photo. This location may be hundreds of miles away, you may need an overnight stay and still be refused with weazel words like;

On the balance of probability, we do not think that you are sufficiently tied to your country of residence, that we feel you may overstay and or relay on the welfare state etc. etc.

Mods, if this is too far off topic, would it be worth starting a new topic on the difficulties for Thais to enter the UK or is there one already online?

I don't think the Thai elite have much problem getting a visa - yet foreigners here are all tarred with the same brush whether a sexpat or a responsible guy trying to bring up a family and been here for 10 or 20 years. Something's need redress. Add to which there is a comprehensive beef is system in most western countries ad particularly Britain, very attractive to your average Thai were as the reverse is true in Thailand where there is bugger all in support. Two completely different scenarios.

Why wont Thailand give some concessions to clear cut cases. For example. If you have been married to a Thai and resided in Thailand for 5 years minimum on a marriage visa, and, or support a Thai child from this marriage, why cant you jointly/solely own your family home without prejudiced legislation. There are many cases in this country where there is no excuse for the Thai government to discriminate against foreigners.

Greed, double standards and hypocracy come to mind. The Thai Immegration laws are specificaly designed to make life as difficult as possible , but nevertheless possible as long as you are prepared to pay and pay and pay.

Again, tell me about your life here and I guarantee that we will soon find out about laws you frequently break in Thailand that are far worse than just "being here for too long".

"Put them behind bars!" - a lot of expats, probably yourself included, come here because of the looser laws compared to your home country. Do these overstayers really deserve to be locked up abroad for the crime of just not walking outside the country and then walking back in??

Laws are made for the greater good of the majority and intelligent members of society demand that they be adhered to. Choosing which ones to obey and which ones not, is not an option in any country that I have visited. Most sentient people would stand on the sidelines and cheer if BIB actually enforced the laws of the country - all of them.

õ

British, Irish expats in Phuket arrested by Immigration

Phuket Gazette

brit2.jpg

Paul Wild (left) and Aaron Quinn pictured at Phuket Immigration after their arrest at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Three Phuket expats from Ireland and England will be deported from Thailand after being caught in Cherng Talay for overstaying.

Officers moved in and arrested Alex Good, 27, from Ireland, at a restaurant near Cherng Talay Police Station at 3:30pm yesterday, said Lt Col Chidchanok Sakornyen of Phuket Immigration.

We had been following him for a while as we had been informed he was staying illegally in the country, Col Chidchanok explained.

We asked him for his passport. He said he didnt have it with him. We took him to the immigration office in Phuket Town and checked his details on our database.

We found he entered Thailand on May 4 through Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 18, he said.

The arrest of Mr Good follows the arrests of two English expats Aaron Liam Quinn, 37, and Paul Wild, 49 at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday.

Mr Quinn entered Thailand at Phuket Airport August 12, 2012 and was allowed to stay until January 9, 2013, explained Col Chidchanok.

Mr Wild entered the country at Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 27, 2011, he added.

All three men confessed to overstaying their visas.

The three of them have been charged with illegally staying in the country and will be sent to Bangkok to be deported, Col Chidchanok said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/British-Irish-expats-in-Phuket-arrested-by-Immigration-22304.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-21

Can u be a bit more judgemental? By your comment it seems you are the one that shows these characteristics.

Xenophobic much? Are you a Aussie by any chance?

• Like 1

Laws are made for the greater good of the majority and intelligent members of society demand that they be adhered to. Choosing which ones to obey and which ones not, is not an option in any country that I have visited. Most sentient people would stand on the sidelines and cheer if BIB actually enforced the laws of the country - all of them.

I disagree. SOME laws are made for the greater good and some laws are made simply to generate money and cause as much inconvenience to others as possible. Which category does having to jump through hoops every 15 days to be allowed to stay in one country fall in to compared to getting a 90 day VISA on entry for entering it's neighbouring country?? I jump through these hoops every time so I can be here to support my children, so I know the answer but I don't patronise anyone who decides to take the risk.

Where I live there is a 6 lane highway with a speed limit of 60 Km/h. I break this limit every day because I feel and I know that if I drive 60 Km/h on it I am more dangerous to others than if I drive the speed that I feel appropriate. Just for an example, one time I had a truck load and felt it appropriate that I should drive 60Km/h for the weight I was travelling with, and during this one single 70km journey 2 cars almost smashed into the back of me while I was driving 60 Km/h in the middle lane avoiding suicidal moped drivers, one of them almost fishtailed off of the road as he tried to avoid rear ending me. Should I now always drive at 60 Km/h on this road or am I right thinking that a higher speed is safer for everyone thus making your point moot?

So no, I do not agree that people who choose not to abide by the rule of wanting to stay here should have their lives destroyed just because they felt it unnecessary that they should walk outside of one border and back into the same point they just were because someone somewhere unrealistically decided that THIS YEAR that is the way it should be done.

Why wont Thailand give some concessions to clear cut cases. For example. If you have been married to a Thai and resided in Thailand for 5 years minimum on a marriage visa, and, or support a Thai child from this marriage, why cant you jointly/solely own your family home without prejudiced legislation. There are many cases in this country where there is no excuse for the Thai government to discriminate against foreigners.

Greed, double standards and hypocracy come to mind. The Thai Immegration laws are specificaly designed to make life as difficult as possible , but nevertheless possible as long as you are prepared to pay and pay and pay.

And the Immigration laws of the US and the UK are lax? Each country makes its own decisions as they see fit. Thai Governments do want to pick up the bill for we farangs being granted the privilege of living in their country. Next time you attend an Immigration office calculate how much the salaries of those manning the place is, multiply that by at last three to get the true cost of employing somebody and providing the accommodation and the tools of their trade. A tidy sum methinks. Why should Thailand carry the burden of that? Paying a mere 1,900 baht every year, a sum I would spend in taking my wife out to dinner, should be surely be considered acceptable for what you get in return. There are many things that I would like to see changes to but most Immigration procedures and the attendant costs are not high on my agenda.

• Like 2

Totally irrelevant post on a thread about immigration violation by tourists and where do you get the 5 year requirement from? I have been employed here for almost 20 years paying taxes in full and own my own condo. I do not feel discriminated against either under the law or in my day to day dealings with people and if I did feel that way I would probably have left years ago. If your biggest complaint about Thailand is that you can't legally own land either jointly with your wife or solely then why not take the family back to your country of origin where you can buy a house in your own name then give it to your wife when you cheat on her or otherwise end up in a divorce.

• Like 1

If you get deported for overstay are you ever allowed back in the country?

Yes you are allowed back in.maximum fine 20,000 Baht I believe.

Don't think there is anything extra to be paid to get back in. The 20,000 baht is the maximum overstay fine that must be paid to leave Thailand. Else you get banged up in jail.

They dont need an excuse. Its their country. Dont like their rules? Go somewhere else.

theyre not being locked up. theyre being deported and so they should be

• Like 1

Thai Law is Thai Law? Why should it be indentical to that in all other countries? Or, do we think all other countries should adopt Thai Laws ?

Where is the lack of clarity in Visa requirements for visitors to Thailand ? I would be very surprised if all the guys caught in this incident were not fully aware of their overstay situation. How many countries never follow up on illegal activity by foreigners in their countries ?

• Like 1