3 British citizens arrested for overstaying on Phuket

webfact

For the older guys at least, this move seems to be the "end of the world" desperation play. They know they will overstay the moment they land, think they will stay in Thailand for years, on the run, making life a little more exciting. I'm sure they wanted to save the money to live a little longer, instead of used for visa runs. I knew some guys in their 50's, and even in their 20's, who talked liked they would hide in Thailand and live off the land. I get it....we all have crazy thoughts. Too bad they didn't just do it legit, save 30k baht, get a Ed Visa, learn Thai, and use free time to explore Thailand. that takes slightly more effort, with much less headache..

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, it serves them right. They knew the risks they were taking and also knew it to be illegal to overstay. They have been caught and now most likely have to pay more than it would have cost to do their visa runs + the cost of the airfare back home.

I overstayed by one single day years ago. Since that time I have always done my 90 days border runs to Cambodia. It was a nuisance at times but something that had to be done. Better than wondering if you have let slip about your overstay and wondering if you might be grassed up or simply caught.

To be honest, it serves them right. They knew the risks they were taking and also knew it to be illegal to overstay. They have been caught and now most likely have to pay more than it would have cost to do their visa runs + the cost of the airfare back home.

I overstayed by one single day years ago. Since that time I have always done my 90 days border runs to Cambodia. It was a nuisance at times but something that had to be done. Better than wondering if you have let slip about your overstay and wondering if you might be grassed up or simply caught.

Well by your own logic you deserve to have been locked up until deported, fined and blacklisted from Thailand for the crime of overstaying by one day. You are no better than these strangers you are judging. If not then please tell me how your crime is any different from the rest of the overstayers?

If you get deported for overstay are you ever allowed back in the country?

Yes you are allowed back in.maximum fine 20,000 Baht I believe.

Don't think there is anything extra to be paid to get back in. The 20,000 baht is the maximum overstay fine that must be paid to leave Thailand. Else you get banged up in jail.

So, the longer you overstay, the more financially ahead you are. Then, if caught, pay the 20,000 baht fine - buy an AirAsia ticket to KL, and come back again.

Probably cheaper than doing several visa runs.

Why wont Thailand give some concessions to clear cut cases. For example. If you have been married to a Thai and resided in Thailand for 5 years minimum on a marriage visa, and, or support a Thai child from this marriage, why cant you jointly/solely own your family home without prejudiced legislation. There are many cases in this country where there is no excuse for the Thai government to discriminate against foreigners.

Totally irrelevant post on a thread about immigration violation by tourists and where do you get the 5 year requirement from? I have been employed here for almost 20 years paying taxes in full and own my own condo. I do not feel discriminated against either under the law or in my day to day dealings with people and if I did feel that way I would probably have left years ago. If your biggest complaint about Thailand is that you can't legally own land either jointly with your wife or solely then why not take the family back to your country of origin where you can buy a house in your own name then give it to your wife when you cheat on her or otherwise end up in a divorce.

Pretty harsh post coming from a guys who's condo sits on at least 51% Thai owned land when at least 51% of the condos in the block, at Thai law, must be Thai owned. Your condo sits on Thai owned land and you can be out voted by the Thai's at anytime.

Anyway, in Vietnam, if you are married to a Vietnamese National - you can get a 5 year mulit-enty visa. I would have thought something lke this would have made things more user friendly for Thailand expats as well.

In Malaysia, under the "Malaysia My Second Home" scheme for expats, they are offering 10 year multi-entry visas and some of the most liberal foreign ownership of land laws in the region.

In Cambodia, you can get a 1 year multi-entry business visa, renewable without leaving the country. (that business visa allows you to work - that includes serving beer in your own bar)

Burma is offering 50 year land use leases, as opposed to Thailand''s 30 years.

I am currently unsure what Laos is offering.

Some view the visa laws here racist, I view them as outdated and uncompetitive.

As mentioned prviously, they are designed just to be a constant and never ending money spinning industry.

so leave!

Well by your own logic you deserve to have been locked up until deported, fined and blacklisted from Thailand for the crime of overstaying by one day. You are no better than these strangers you are judging. If not then please tell me how your crime is any different from the rest of the overstayers?

because he intended to leave. these guys didnt

Oh right, so there's a grey area of this law that allows some leniency based on good intentions then, is there?

Oh right, so there's a grey area of this law that allows some leniency based on good intentions then, is there?

who said the one day over guy would get leniency if he police picked him up?

Thailand is now exagerating the application of law for foreigners. One day overstay = 500 ThB fine. This applies also to tourists which bring money in the country. How many Thais are living in European and other Western countries without a legal permit to stay and without work permit? At least several thousands. I know personally of many cases whereThais travel to Europe with a tourist visa (no work permitted) and then work illegally, in restaurants, brothels, etc.

No country in the West has such dramatical laws to fine the people from the first day of overstay like Thailand. Western countries should protest against this narrow-minded view or apply the same rules, which means that several Airbus A380 will be filled with deported Thai people staying illegally in Western countries. In addition, even husbands of a Thai wife have to fulfill all this bureaucratic visa requirements, which is simply a shame.

Previously I wanted to get residence in Thailand, but I have changed my mind, I will get it in Malaysia, much better conditions for foreigners and more welcome. In Malaysia you stay 3 months visa-free, and getting residence is easy.

So crime of the century, i would happier if they cleaned up some more important issues

I'm all for getting rid of all the visa scofflaws, which will go a long ways toward resolving some of those "more important issues". Those that would flout their privilege to be in the country wouldn't necessarily care about breaking other laws as well.

Deport the whole lot of 'em.

• Like 1

All very nice and we can all play the card of innocense meanwhile sometimes the laws are not as clear as they can be. Besides, which foreigner in the UK or the rest

of Europe needs to show either 800.000B or has to get married to stay longer than a little while. I still feel a lot for the eye for an eye policy: If you can't own a house here. Thais should not be able to own one in your country until they change the law. If you can't stay here for a prolonged holiday unless you pay through your nose for it, do the same to the Thais abroad. If you can't own a car on a tourist visa, do the same abroad to the Thais. If you need to report every three months to police....etc etc. See how that feels. We all know that lots of Thais own numerous houses (read: Villas) and cars in our countries of origin. But that all seems to be ok and fine.

So that is how you think things should be? How easy was it for you to come here? Not so easy for a Thai to go to the USA, UK etc. So maybe Thailand should make it that everyone needs a visa and make it difficult to get the visa. You need to prove to them you will return and not stay in Thailand, same as the West does to Thai's.

You guys want your cake and eat it too. So easy to enter Thailand. I have been living and working on Thailand almost 20 years. Never had an issue with getting the right visa to stay. I don't see where you say the laws are not clear, they are clear. Also you can own a car on a tourist visa. I know several guys that have done it. Want to own the place you stay in buy a condo. Why do you want to own, just rent it's cheap.

These guys are overstaying they threw the dice and lost. Not hard to stay here legally.

If you don't work, go get a tourist visa. The problem is with these guys overstaying either they are lazy and don't want to do a visa run or they don't have the money. In any case it's their own fault don't blame immigration for doing their job. Or you think it should be ok for Thai's to over stay their visa in your country and immigration should just let that happen.

Edited by ericthai
  • Like 2

Thailand is now exagerating the application of law for foreigners. One day overstay = 500 ThB fine. This applies also to tourists which bring money in the country. How many Thais are living in European and other Western countries without a legal permit to stay and without work permit? At least several thousands. I know personally of many cases whereThais travel to Europe with a tourist visa (no work permitted) and then work illegally, in restaurants, brothels, etc.

No country in the West has such dramatical laws to fine the people from the first day of overstay like Thailand. Western countries should protest against this narrow-minded view or apply the same rules, which means that several Airbus A380 will be filled with deported Thai people staying illegally in Western countries. In addition, even husbands of a Thai wife have to fulfill all this bureaucratic visa requirements, which is simply a shame.

Previously I wanted to get residence in Thailand, but I have changed my mind, I will get it in Malaysia, much better conditions for foreigners and more welcome. In Malaysia you stay 3 months visa-free, and getting residence is easy.

byeeeeeeeee

This is good. Keep if up. The more spot checks the better

I have to travel across town for a stamp every ninety days and apply for an annual visa. Arresting the people who don't makes me feel a lot better for actually making the effect to remain legally.

I'm very rarely rude to people but that has to be one of the most idiotic comments I have ever read.

Why would any one sane want more spot checks, don't you have a life?

Or do you enjoy being told what to do by authority figures and having your time wasted ? You only have one life.

As a student of history I have often wondered how the Nazi's got and stayed in power and then I realized there are many people like you out there that are easily brainwashed.

You belong in the old east Germany

why people overstay? a quick visa run to ranong - victoria point isn't that hard to do from phuket. can be fun actually, a one- day outing...it seems to me these people overstay on purpose, perhaps to show they don't give a shit about thai laws, assuming (wrongly) that you can always give a couple of thousands and a bottle of Saeng Som to Somchai the friendly cop. only we're not in the 70's anymore. and why the smiles? first time I see people smiling while being arrested. morons!

British, Irish expats in Phuket arrested by Immigration

Phuket Gazette

brit2.jpg

Paul Wild (left) and Aaron Quinn pictured at Phuket Immigration after their arrest at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Three Phuket expats from Ireland and England will be deported from Thailand after being caught in Cherng Talay for overstaying.

Officers moved in and arrested Alex Good, 27, from Ireland, at a restaurant near Cherng Talay Police Station at 3:30pm yesterday, said Lt Col Chidchanok Sakornyen of Phuket Immigration.

“We had been following him for a while as we had been informed he was staying illegally in the country,” Col Chidchanok explained.

“We asked him for his passport. He said he didn’t have it with him. We took him to the immigration office in Phuket Town and checked his details on our database.

“We found he entered Thailand on May 4 through Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 18,” he said.

The arrest of Mr Good follows the arrests of two English expats – Aaron Liam Quinn, 37, and Paul Wild, 49 – at a house in Soi Pasak, Cherng Talay, on Thursday.

“Mr Quinn entered Thailand at Phuket Airport August 12, 2012 and was allowed to stay until January 9, 2013,” explained Col Chidchanok.

“Mr Wild entered the country at Ranong Immigration and was allowed to stay until May 27, 2011,” he added.

All three men confessed to overstaying their visas.

“The three of them have been charged with illegally staying in the country and will be sent to Bangkok to be deported,” Col Chidchanok said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/British-Irish-expats-in-Phuket-arrested-by-Immigration-22304.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-21

Smiling like it's a joke. Put the Brit behind bars! God, they are smug, pompous, arrogant individuals.

and you are in any way smug, pompous or arrogant then? Nor self-righteous...

I had a heart in mouth moment last week. I took the bus from Phuket bus station to Satun and it made a stop at the checkpoint, like they all do but this time a policeman came on ( something I've personally, rarely seen )

He checked a few bags and saw me ( only foreigner on bus ) came straight to me and asked for my passport. I was shitting myself because I had overstayed. It was only two days but still I thought it was going to end bad. Luckily for me he opened it, looked at the main page and then the dates on the departure slip which said July 15th 2013 funny enough and gave it back to me. If he had a mind to check it closer he would have noticed my overstay but thank God he never.

A lucky escape indeed and will I overstay again in these risky times? No bloody way that's for sure!

I had a similar occurrence two years ago. Was driving through through the south with my girlfriend, en route to Hat Yai for a flight to KL, while on two weeks overstay (please no lectures; it was the only time I've ever done it). We were stopped at a police check point in Khuraburi... The lovely officer gave me quite a hard time, more than I've ever received from Thai police. He looked straight at the most recent visa and said, "Tourist huh? You working too?" But either he didn't look at the expiration date or thought the "use by" date was the expiration date. I thought for sure I was about to see the inside of Khuraburi jail. But no, my LOS angel must have been watching over.

If you get deported for overstay are you ever allowed back in the country?

I think the penalties for overstays should definitely be toughened up. I know a guy who had three years overstay on his passport. He worked here the whole time as a teacher. He went to Suvarnamhumi airport to fly out to Malaysia. The immigration officer was a little shocked. But after he paid the 20,000baht fine and they exchanged a little giggle, he was on his way. He flew back to Thailand one day later, got a one month visa on arrival and strolled in like nothing had happened.

How difficult is it to do a visa run? The lazy bastards

Actually it's a pain in the arse, let's face it.

No it's not. Either you're on a non-immigrant visa, which after 1 year can be extended without leaving the country. And that can be done indefinately.

Or you're on a tourist visa living here, in which case you're not a tourist but are breaking the rules.

No it's not. Either you're on a non-immigrant visa, which after 1 year can be extended without leaving the country. And that can be done indefinately.

Or you're on a tourist visa living here, in which case you're not a tourist but are breaking the rules.

If you are under 50 years of age, and self funded, what visa is there for you, other than a tourist visa? In this case, which is also my case, it's a pain in the ass.

• Like 2

If you are under 50 years of age, and self funded, what visa is there for you, other than a tourist visa? In this case, which is also my case, it's a pain in the ass.

Thailand has made a choice: under 50 years of age you can work here, but you can not retire here. So either marry, or stay illegal on tourist visa. But don't complain about those visa, you should be glad you're getting one since you're abusing the system.

I can't believe we went 5 pages without someone spotting the real story here:

Three foreign men, all from the United Kingdom, were arrested late last week for overstaying on the island.

The first arrests came on Thursday afternoon (September 19), when Police visited a house in Cherng Talay and arrested two Englishmen -- Paul Wild, aged 49, and Liam Arron Quinn, aged 37.

Mr Quinn's permit to stay expired on January 9, 2013, and Mr Wild's expired on May 2011. Both were taken to the Cherng Talay Police Station for processing.

The next arrest was Alex Good, aged 27 and from Ireland.