3 British citizens arrested for overstaying on Phuket

webfact

@ stevenl

My point is, times have changed, and Thailand would do well to review, and overhaul, their outdated visa system.

Why should I be "glad" I'm living here on tourist visas? Like I said, they have purposely created a whole money spinning industry around these old visa laws. Many benefit from it, financially.

My question is, after 60 days, why can't I go to the immigration office in Phuket Town and pay a fee and extend for another 60 days, instead of 30 days? The same policy is in place, why not just extend the time frame and fee involved?

The Government gets their money, directly, and I do not have to leave the country, just to come back the next day.

What does the current system achieve, other than to provide employment for taxis, exit tax for flights, and employment for dangerous buses/minivans, and overwork the staff in neighbouring country Thai Embassies, which are now taking as long as 2 to 3 days to process. That's also a loss of consumption for Thailand in this time.

I've never overstayed, and continute to do my visa runs, but it's a ridiculous system.

Just look at all the dodgy "Thai language schools" set up as Education Visa factories.

I dont see where you are abusing the system if you are staying in Thailand and not working. If you are working then yes you are abusing the system.

The idea of the short term tourist visa is not for the reason of making money nor to create business. The idea of the short term Tourist visa is for the reason they are trying to stop people staying here and working illegally.

I agree with you there should be a change to create a visa or change the terms on the retirement visa to a lower age. So as long as you can prove you have money to live in Thailand without working then you should be able to be issued a visa. I've been living and working here for almost 20 years, during that time I have seen many changes. Some have come and gone others remain. The Thai govt as we know is not a fast moving machine and it's slow to adapt. Like I said there main issue is people staying here on a tourist visa or visa exempt and working. They dont realize that some younger guys (under 50) can actually have enough money to retire or has some residual income coming in that they dont need to work.

I do believe the crack down on over stayers is a good one. If someone is over staying chances are they either dont have the money to do a visa run and therefore dont really have the money to live here and need to go back home and get a job or they may be trying to hide from threats back home and each time they exit and return is a chance that things back home has caught up to them and immigration will stop them. Last they are just lazy and dont want to do a visa run. I know allot of people complain about the visa run. I have done my fair share and I dont think they are that bad. Especially if you are staying here not working what is the big issue to do a visa run. What would it interfere with? their day of drinking? Granted there are some valid reasons for someone to overstay a few days, maybe 1 week. I know in the past I have overstayed a few days due to delays on projects I was working on before I moved to Thailand. Sometimes people get lost on days etc. But to overstay by months, years that is intentional and those guys should be tracked down.

So, why can't the "visa run" be to the nearest Immigration Office to simply pay a fee and extend?

Why does one have to go to the airport and fly to a neighbouring country, or jump on a dangerous minibus and be on the road for hours, to go to a neighbouring country?

The system is already in place to extend the 60 day tourist visa by 1 month, for 1900 baht. Why not just make the extention by another 60 days for 3000 baht? The Thai Government still make their money.

As mentioned, visa runs create employment and turn over big money. A whole industry thrives around visa runs, all over Thailand.

Visa runs achieve nothing by keeping out those that CAN afford to live here, and for those who CAN'T afford to live here, these people just overstay anyway.

It's just another money spinner.

• Like 1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ stevenl

My point is, times have changed, and Thailand would do well to review, and overhaul, their outdated visa system.

Why should I be "glad" I'm living here on tourist visas? Like I said, they have purposely created a whole money spinning industry around these old visa laws. Many benefit from it, financially.

My question is, after 60 days, why can't I go to the immigration office in Phuket Town and pay a fee and extend for another 60 days, instead of 30 days? The same policy is in place, why not just extend the time frame and fee involved?

The Government gets their money, directly, and I do not have to leave the country, just to come back the next day.

What does the current system achieve, other than to provide employment for taxis, exit tax for flights, and employment for dangerous buses/minivans, and overwork the staff in neighbouring country Thai Embassies, which are now taking as long as 2 to 3 days to process. That's also a loss of consumption for Thailand in this time.

I've never overstayed, and continute to do my visa runs, but it's a ridiculous system.

Just look at all the dodgy "Thai language schools" set up as Education Visa factories.

I dont see where you are abusing the system if you are staying in Thailand and not working. If you are working then yes you are abusing the system.

The idea of the short term tourist visa is not for the reason of making money nor to create business. The idea of the short term Tourist visa is for the reason they are trying to stop people staying here and working illegally.

I agree with you there should be a change to create a visa or change the terms on the retirement visa to a lower age. So as long as you can prove you have money to live in Thailand without working then you should be able to be issued a visa. I've been living and working here for almost 20 years, during that time I have seen many changes. Some have come and gone others remain. The Thai govt as we know is not a fast moving machine and it's slow to adapt. Like I said there main issue is people staying here on a tourist visa or visa exempt and working. They dont realize that some younger guys (under 50) can actually have enough money to retire or has some residual income coming in that they dont need to work.

I do believe the crack down on over stayers is a good one. If someone is over staying chances are they either dont have the money to do a visa run and therefore dont really have the money to live here and need to go back home and get a job or they may be trying to hide from threats back home and each time they exit and return is a chance that things back home has caught up to them and immigration will stop them. Last they are just lazy and dont want to do a visa run. I know allot of people complain about the visa run. I have done my fair share and I dont think they are that bad. Especially if you are staying here not working what is the big issue to do a visa run. What would it interfere with? their day of drinking? Granted there are some valid reasons for someone to overstay a few days, maybe 1 week. I know in the past I have overstayed a few days due to delays on projects I was working on before I moved to Thailand. Sometimes people get lost on days etc. But to overstay by months, years that is intentional and those guys should be tracked down.

So, why can't the "visa run" be to the nearest Immigration Office to simply pay a fee and extend?

Why does one have to go to the airport and fly to a neighbouring country, or jump on a dangerous minibus and be on the road for hours, to go to a neighbouring country?

The system is already in place to extend the 60 day tourist visa by 1 month, for 1900 baht. Why not just make the extention by another 60 days for 3000 baht? The Thai Government still make their money.

As mentioned, visa runs create employment and turn over big money. A whole industry thrives around visa runs, all over Thailand.

Visa runs achieve nothing by keeping out those that CAN afford to live here, and for those who CAN'T afford to live here, these people just overstay anyway.

Because again really they dont want you doing visa runs. They expect someone on a tourist visa to only stay a few months not live here. Again it does not have to do with the money making it has to do with people living here when Thailand feels you should not be living here. Thailand feels someone living here should be either working therefore have a Non-immigrant B visa, or here on retirement Visa or support of a family Non-immigrant O. The problem the Thai Govt don't realize that someone under the age of 50 could be retired or should I say not have a daily working job. They dont want you staying in full time on tourist visa. I have had this conversation with immigration offices in that past and they always say you should stay in Thailand on the correct visa. So until they realize people younger than 50 can be financially independent things wont change. Dont be surprised if they try to make things harder for people getting tourists visas back to back to back. They tried before, but it just got to hard for them to check. I do hope they make some changes for the good for you and others in your position.

Sure they should be sent back to their home country, but why does this sort of stuff make headline news when there is so much going on here of much greater importance and concern??

BTW, Ireland is NOT part of either Britain of the United Kingdom...!! From the names reported, it looks to me like two Irishmen and one Englishman ... sounds like the start of a joke doesn't it...?!

@ stevenl

Because again really they dont want you doing visa runs. They expect someone on a tourist visa to only stay a few months not live here. Again it does not have to do with the money making it has to do with people living here when Thailand feels you should not be living here. Thailand feels someone living here should be either working therefore have a Non-immigrant B visa, or here on retirement Visa or support of a family Non-immigrant O. The problem the Thai Govt don't realize that someone under the age of 50 could be retired or should I say not have a daily working job. They dont want you staying in full time on tourist visa. I have had this conversation with immigration offices in that past and they always say you should stay in Thailand on the correct visa. So until they realize people younger than 50 can be financially independent things wont change. Dont be surprised if they try to make things harder for people getting tourists visas back to back to back. They tried before, but it just got to hard for them to check. I do hope they make some changes for the good for you and others in your position.

If they really don't want me, and thousands like me, doing visa runs and living here on tourist visas, why don't they stop it?

MONEY is the reason why it's not stopped. The visa run itself generates money, and well as letting me live here on the tourist visa, generates money for the local economy.

They could stop this, overnight, by saying you are not allowed anymore than two 60 day tourist visas per year, just the way they changed th overland border corossings from 30 days to 15 days, but they don't.

It's all about the money.

Edited by NamKangMan

If they really don't want me, and thousands like me, doing visa runs and living here on tourist visas, why don't they stop it?

MONEY is the reason why it's not stopped. The visa run itself generates money, and well as letting me live here on the tourist visa, generates money for the local economy.

They could stop this, overnight, by saying you are not allowed anymore than two 60 day tourist visas per year, just the way they changed th overland border corossings from 30 days to 15 days, but they don't.

No worries, one of these days they will do something like that.

If tourists could extend forever by popping into Immigration and paying a fee, then they wouldn't be tourists, they would be residents of some sort. Just like those of us on retirement visas.

They should then have to prove they are financial capable of living here, without working illegally, just like the retirement visa holders.

No doubt some younger "tourists" are independently rich, but I'm sure most are not, and get their income from somewhere, possibly illegally.

As someone else stated, there should be a limit to how long a "tourist" can stay per year unless they can prove they have sufficient funds to live here. That would require a different type of visa and new legislation. Unlikely to happen.

They do that several years ago, or i should say close to that it was like you could only stay here max 6 months or something like that. I dont recall the exact amount time as I have been in a B visa but I know all the guys complaining about it I think it was about 6-7 years ago. However it got to be too much to immigration agents to check passports and the lines just got longer and taking forever to get through immigration so they stopped that. I think that is when they changed the land crossing down to 15 days. If you remember overstay used to only be 100B a day and a max 10,000B. You guys are right if they wanted to they could. The object is not to make money or they would just do as you say they are trying to stop the people that are staying here in tourist visas and working. Just the guys that are not working and just want to stay here are the ones that have to suffer. Maybe one of these days they will figure out a way to stop the illegal workers.

They do that several years ago, or i should say close to that it was like you could only stay here max 6 months or something like that. I dont recall the exact amount time as I have been in a B visa but I know all the guys complaining about it I think it was about 6-7 years ago. However it got to be too much to immigration agents to check passports and the lines just got longer and taking forever to get through immigration so they stopped that. I think that is when they changed the land crossing down to 15 days. If you remember overstay used to only be 100B a day and a max 10,000B. You guys are right if they wanted to they could. The object is not to make money or they would just do as you say they are trying to stop the people that are staying here in tourist visas and working. Just the guys that are not working and just want to stay here are the ones that have to suffer. Maybe one of these days they will figure out a way to stop the illegal workers.

Changed 1 January 2009, before that time visa exempt entries could only be done up to maximum 90 days in a 180 day period. And yes, since same date only 15 days visa exempt if arrival over land or water.

If, or when, they do make that restriction, they would also have to create another visa class for those under 50 years of age, who are self funded, or, lower the age to qualify for the retirement visa.

If they were to change this law, without some adjustments to the current system, could you imagine the billions of baht Thailand would lose, and the thousands of overstayers it would create, overnight.

I can't see it happening.

Visa runs are a big industry, and those living here on tourist visas, contribute to the Thai economy.

Once again, it's about the money, not immigration and border protection.

Edited by NamKangMan

If tourists could extend forever by popping into Immigration and paying a fee, then they wouldn't be tourists, they would be residents of some sort. Just like those of us on retirement visas.

They should then have to prove they are financial capable of living here, without working illegally, just like the retirement visa holders.

No doubt some younger "tourists" are independently rich, but I'm sure most are not, and get their income from somewhere, possibly illegally.

As someone else stated, there should be a limit to how long a "tourist" can stay per year unless they can prove they have sufficient funds to live here. That would require a different type of visa and new legislation. Unlikely to happen.

Totally agre OC. I would have no problem producing documents, silimar to those required for the retirement visa.

As mentioned, the current visa classes are outdated and needs a review. There are thousands of self funded, under 50's, like myself, living here on tourist visas, because there is no other visa for them.

I think what you are talking about was you were only allowed to have 2 or 3 back to back 30 day visa exemption stamps and then you were not allowed into Thailand for 3 months, or something similar to this. It all just went away. Maybe for the reason you describe. So, they simply reduced the overland border crossings from 30 days to 15 days.

WHY - because visa expemption stamps are FREE.

So, this forced these people to go to a Thai Embassy and pay their 1000 baht, or $40US. They were still allowed into Thailand, and still allowed to live in Thailand on their 60 day tourist visas, but now they had to pay to do so, where as, before, they were doing so for free. :)

They also picked up i nice earner of 1900 baht for a one month visa extension on these 60 day tourist visas.

It really is just about the money.

Changed 1 January 2009, before that time visa exempt entries could only be done up to maximum 90 days in a 180 day period. And yes, since same date only 15 days visa exempt if arrival over land or water.

So, why not do the same with the 60 day tourist visa???? :) :)

If, or when, they do make that restriction, they would also have to create another visa class for those under 50 years of age, who are self funded, or, lower the age to qualify for the retirement visa.

If they were to change this law, without some adjustments to the current system, could you imagine the billions of baht Thailand would lose, and the thousands of overstayers it would create, overnight.

Visa runs are a big industry, and those living here on tourist visas, contribute to the Thai economy.

They really will not have to make another visa class. They don't care about you, don't meet the requirements, don't come.

I think what you are talking about was you were only allowed to have 2 or 3 back to back 30 day visa exemption stamps and then you were not allowed into Thailand for 3 months, or something similar to this. It all just went away. Maybe for the reason you describe. So, they simply reduced the overland border crossings from 30 days to 15 days.

So, this forced these people to go to a Thai Embassy and pay their 1000 baht, or $40US. They were still allowed into Thailand, and still allowed to live in Thailand on their 60 day tourist visas, but now they had to pay to do so, where as, before, they were doing so for free. smile.png

They also picked up i nice earner of 1900 baht for a one month visa extension on these 60 day tourist visas.

That was changed to make illegal work more difficult. The rule was as I described earlier. Nothing to do with visa or visarun money.

Looking at the smirks on their faces I don't think they're particularly bothered.. got away with it for as long as possible, they will go back to a nice welfare handout no doubt, paid for by those who stay home and work for a living as apposed to being on an overstay/permanent holiday!!

Good riddance to bad rubbish!!

I find it funny how some people are so quick to condemn overstayers in Thailand!

I wonder how many of these people participate in other criminal activities themselves...

For example prostitution!!!

Some people really have their morals twisted!

ALso funny how people think people overstaying makes it harder for everyone else

Do you really think the Thai immigration cares????

It's just a way to make money. That's why you pay the 20000 fine and can come straight back

Stories of prison terms and blacklisting for overstaying are all false according to people I know who have done it, lawyers, embassy officials and immigration staff who I have all spoken to about the matter.

Edited by William28

So, why not do the same with the 60 day tourist visa???? smile.pngsmile.png

I think because it did not work with visa exempt, so the presumption is (IMO rightfully so) it will also not work with visas. But again no worries, they will find something to close the loophole you're using.

What a lot of people don't realize is that if you are overstayed for one day or 20 years AND the police stops you, it is a CRIMIMAL OFFENCE and you will go to jail = Police

If you go to the airport and you overstayed for one day or 20 years you just have to pay a fine TB 500 per day with a maximum TB 20.000 (maximum even if you are 40 years overstayed) = Immigration

That is why everybody will tell you, do a visa run even if it is only for one day.

Edited by Cloggie

What a lot of people don't realize is that if you are overstayed for one day or 20 years AND the police stops you, it is a CRIMIMAL OFFENCE and you will go to jail - ever been there in Thailand?

If you go to the airport and you overstayed for one day or 20 years you just have to pay a fine TB 500 per day with a maximum TB 20.000 (maximum even if you are 40 years overstayed)

That is why everybody will tell you, do a visa run even if it is only for one day.

Every time I have been to immigration and told them I need a few days overstay, EVERY TIME the immigration officer has told me to just overstay and pay the fine at the airport on departure.

Again, for the record I have still never overstayed even one day.

Every time I have been to immigration and told them I need a few days overstay, EVERY TIME the immigration officer has told me to just overstay and pay the fine at the airport on departure.

Very bad advice from Immigration that anyone should overstay. I guess it's just the Thai mai pen rai way. However overstaying has serious implication in the event of any interaction with police or authorities. The fact of the matter is that you would be illegally in Thailand and could potentially face criminal charges leading to fine and jail time.

Very bad advice from Immigration that anyone should overstay. I guess it's just the Thai mai pen rai way. However overstaying has serious implication in the event of any interaction with police or authorities. The fact of the matter is that you would be illegally in Thailand and could potentially face criminal charges leading to fine and jail time.

I don't disagree at all which is why I have always stayed legal at extra cost and personal hardship, but I'm just telling you the attitude of the people in charge. I'm sure more expats here have had the same advice I got from immigration.

They really will not have to make another visa class. They don't care about you, don't meet the requirements, don't come.

So, this forced these people to go to a Thai Embassy and pay their 1000 baht, or $40US. They were still allowed into Thailand, and still allowed to live in Thailand on their 60 day tourist visas, but now they had to pay to do so, where as, before, they were doing so for free. smile.png

That was changed to make illegal work more difficult. The rule was as I described earlier. Nothing to do with visa or visarun money.

"They really will not have to make another visa class. They don't care about you, don't meet the requirements, don't come." - but I do meet the requirements and I'm continually allowed to enter on the 60 day tourist visa. WHY?

There must be some benefit for the Thai's to allow this to happen for me, and thousnds like me, what else could it be but supporting the visa run industry and making money?

Edited by NamKangMan

"They really will not have to make another visa class. They don't care about you, don't meet the requirements, don't come." - but I do meet the requirements and I'm continually allowed to enter on the 60 day tourist visa. WHY? Ther must be some benefit for the Thai's to allow this top happen forme, and thousnds like me, what else could it be but supporting the visa run industry and making money.

Look, in case you haven't realised by now, stevenl does not want you to be here which is why he has the viewpoint he has and will defend any unfair visa rule that has been decided for this year. He seems to like the fact that it is hard for you and others to jump through hoops so you can live a decent life here with your partner and children. If it was in fact a logical reason for the visa laws then they would be identical for expat women and men, but they are not which proves that expat men are discriminated against.

Look at the address bar of which site you are viewing at the top of your browser and don't worry about it too much. Every one here are crabs in a bucket just wishing for the downfall of each other and laughing when it happens. Don't take it personally, chances are one day the rules will change one year and stevenl will be affected and he will be here asking for advice.

<snip>

Look, in case you haven't realised by now, stevenl does not want you to be here which is why he has the viewpoint he has and will defend any unfair visa rule that has been decided for this year. He seems to like the fact that it is hard for you and others to jump through hoops so you can live a decent life here with your partner and children. If it was in fact a logical reason for the visa laws then they would be identical for expat women and men, but they are not which proves that expat men are discriminated against.

That is very unfair. There is no reason to believe the stevenl believes that. And NKM declares that he does not have a partner and children here. Therefore NKM is considered a tourist here in Thailand as he does meet the retirement age of marital status rule. Might not be fair but those are the rules.

• Like 1

<snip>

That is very unfair. There is no reason to believe the stevenl believes that. And NKM declares that he does not have a partner and children here.

Maybe so, but wouldn't it be interesting if the occupation of dive instructor was to be declared an occupation reserved for Thai's only. After all, they are getting trained up on it. They'll take it over one day. smile.png

Basically, none of us are as secure here as we would like to think. I'll be the first to admit that. In my case, it's visas, for others, it's business, and for some, it's financial reasons etc etc.

Edited by NamKangMan

When I arrived here the retirment age was 60, then it was reduced to 55, and then 50. You never know, maybe there might be another change NKM.

I never knew that. Well, wonders never cease.

Maybe they are due for another review and a further reduction, but that's all I have said on this thread. The current visa rules are outdated and need reviewing, and the fact that they haven't been, leads me to think that it's all about fuelling the visa run industry and making money off selling 4 visas a year, and their 1900 baht extensions, to me, and the thousands of others like me. It's big money and employs many.

You have given me hope LIK - but hope is a dangerous thing to hold onto in Thailand. :) :)

<snip>

That is very unfair. There is no reason to believe the stevenl believes that. And NKM declares that he does not have a partner and children here.

Maybe so, but wouldn't it be interesting if the occupation of dive instructor was to be declared an occupation reserved for Thai's only. After all, they are getting trained up on it. They'll take it over one day. smile.png

Basically, none of us are as secure here as we would like to think. I'll be the first to admit that. In my case, it's visas, for others, it's business, and for some, it's financial reasons etc etc.

Everything can change, and I would think that sometime in the future also e.g. diving instructors will all be Thai.

But here in this thread I am just pointing out the rules, fair or not, and they are quite often unfair, those are the rules we have to abide by. This being Thailand it is possible to get away with not abiding by certain rules. NKM is quite often complaining about that, but is here using it to his advantage. And that is really up to him.

@ KunMatt, if you really think I have a certain viewpoint because I don't want NKM to be here you're sadly mistaken. I often disagree with him, and do agree with him on things as well. Don't know him personally, but could easily imagine having a beer and a chat with him, why not. But he is in no way involved in my opinions on the Thai visa rules.

A local news blog is reporting on another arrested overstayer.

An Italian, picked up on the streets of Phuket City.

They also report that expats are not being allowed to go home to retrieve their proof of residence (passport), but are arrested.

<snip>

Everything can change, and I would think that sometime in the future also e.g. diving instructors will all be Thai.

But here in this thread I am just pointing out the rules, fair or not, and they are quite often unfair, those are the rules we have to abide by. This being Thailand it is possible to get away with not abiding by certain rules. NKM is quite often complaining about that, but is here using it to his advantage. And that is really up to him.

@ KunMatt, if you really think I have a certain viewpoint because I don't want NKM to be here you're sadly mistaken. I often disagree with him, and do agree with him on things as well. Don't know him personally, but could easily imagine having a beer and a chat with him, why not. But he is in no way involved in my opinions on the Thai visa rules.

I agree. Everything can change here, and not for the benefit of expats and/or tourists, and the laws are the laws.

On that basis, will you be selling your samlor (motobike with sidecar) as they are illegal, or will you continue to ride an illegal vehicle here? :) :)

We are seeing a "crackdown" on overstayers here at the moment.

Have you notoiced most are under 50 years of age? Have you also noticed they have been arrested for overstaying, not working without a work permIt?

Is it possible, that a change in the visa laws, would simply see these guys ride to the Immigration Office every 90 days, pay a fee, and be allowed to continue to reside here, rather than Thailand lose their money, and actually spend money chasing them, only for them to come straight back into Thailand.

Could a change in the visa laws decrease the amount of overstaying, make extra revenue for the Thai Government from this demographic and save money on overstay enforcement?