Loosing control while being bored.

Dancealot

I have never seen more "enablers" in my life as I do living in Thailand.

Remind me what they have invented then! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

The sick buffalo?

Naw, back to Dancelot's OP and DILLIGAD's wise comment about not being too sure of yourself after you've "bought the farm," I can assure you of just two things.

1. I will never marry a Thai.

2. I will never have a Thai girlfriend who has kids.

I wouldn't ever have had step-kids in the US. They'll do the same in telling you that you can't boss them around. BUT at least I actually own the property so I could have a prenup, but even then I wouldn't.

As someone else on this forum once said, "Why choose your last piece of candy for life when you live in a candy store?"

And no, I couldn't change that lazy boy once he's about 4 - 5 years of age. His life experience is already set.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experiences in Thailand have lead me to believe that the Thais just don't value life in the way westerners do. Everything can be fixed with a nice little handout of money or paying homage at the monkery. Then there are those who believe they can just kill themselves because they will always be reincarnated and can start fresh again.

Dancealot, the story you've described is spot and and typical. I see kinds in their teens hanging out on the benches outside the local minimarts drinking beer Chang at 10 o'clock in the morning. The owners of the shops to give a damn selling booze and fags to the kids because they turn a profit. Then there are the local scooter boy gangs and the school rivalries. I thought Thai rak Thai? Doesn't appear so. Let's kill a student because they are from anonther school / university. /rolls eyes.

Thai Boys get spoiled by their Parents while Thai Girls have to do all the work & support their Parents when their older, I know this is a generalisation but Iv'e watched this happen in my own family & most of the ones around me.

So you end up with a load of mollycoddled Poo Chai's who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate, & when it isn't they either turn to crime,or the more motivated leave for the city & a deadend job, blame it on their families & then have little more to do with them.

Will this change? probably not given the general lack of education of everyone.. No wonder it's so hard to find any Thais willing to work hard for you despite giving them good wages, When I built my house the best workers were invariably Women...

I knew a Chinese female citizen in U.S.A. she was educated and could speak fluent English. We discussed many things. One of our discussions led to her stating: In China if you don't work you DON'T EAT. Beautiful.......

• Like 2

Couple of years military service should sort them out.

Sort out what?

Teach them better aiming next time they decide to settle things with shooting?

I dont see how idling around in military would be solution for the villagers.

Getting a job would be, but there isnt that many jobs, especially in the countryside, period.

Thai stat is a big fat lie about unemployment beeing 1% in the country.

I think what Bpuumike was trying to point out is that in general terms, military service teaches individuals a lot of life skills. The military is not just about teaching people to point and shoot a gun/rifle.

A lot of kids in Thailand (And other countries) do not have a great deal of self esteem nor personal discipline. This in turn can lead to a lack of focus or goals in life, The military also offers education to varying levels dependant on the individuals requirements or desires. This in turn increases their employability after military service.

Sure there will be those few individuals that drop out or are kicked out of the service due to being 'untrainable' or having undesireable qualities that cannot be 'corrected'. However the majority of those that do join the military, do go on to become an upstanding citizen who contributes to society in general.

Yes I did my time in the military....not in this country, some things I may not have agreed with but over all the systems in place worked. And those systems or Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) were constantly being reviewed. Draconian measures were not used or accepted as a form of discipline, education was paramount. Recruits were taught about integrity, loyalty and dedication. The majority of recruits gained so much more out of 3 months training, than what they had in their 17+ years previously. I still believe in what the military 'system' has to offer. It works.

Life skills is a great idea.

I was thinking more in terms of imposed discipline and work up from there.

Guess we thinking on the same track.

.......... and not to forget: A few decades ago "work" had to be performed 2x a year. The rest of the year, everybody was idle.

Today, everybody wanting i-phones,motorbikes and all the other junk, this would mean to work more and regularly. A frightening thought for a great number of Thais. For sure, "work" was not invented by Thais, it was invented by Germans:D

An alternative is always the lottery. And if that doesn't work, go for "big game" = marry a Farang ! Unlike a Thai-Husband that can pack his possessions into a 7/11 plastic bag and leave, the Farang has usually already spilled a good part of his financial assets on location in form of "immovable-assets". He is therefore much less likely to move out in order to escape unpleasant life-surroundings, as opposed to the Thai-Hubby with his plastic bag. Thais know about this, believe it or not.

The current economic boom is fueled by loans that were taken by the government by way of international capital-markets. Would have been nice if the current boom had it's roots in increased productivity, increased work-ethics and stuff like that.

I think Thailand was a happier Thailand, when work was limited to 2x a year (with no i-phones). Seems to me, the average Thai does not really fit into this oncoming globalization rat-race picture.

Cheers.

The Farang arrived on an airplane and can equally easily leave on one.

Part of the problem is the loss of authority within the village and the family. Before the advent of relatively cheap transport, the village was a self-contained unit. The pu-yai-baan was boss, but within the family, the father's word was law. If he told his sons to go off to Bangkok and find work, they dam_n well went.

Now the father's authority is negligible. My neighbour is a case in point. The father told his eldest son to go off to work; the son refused (and the mother supported him). Now the boy lies around all day doing nothing.

I don't understand. Thai women will express or admit that many Thai males are ??? well humnnnn worthless might be a bit harsh, but you know what I mean. However these women raising males/ nurture them into being the same type of adult males that many Thai women find fault with. Wouldn't it make sense to bring up a boy to be a very responsible/upstanding adult man? Unfortunately a Mother of a young male is typically undermined by her own Mother i.e. giving her Grandson what the Mother put restrictions on. ????? WOW.?????

I don't understand. Thai women will express or admit that many Thai males are ??? well humnnnn worthless might be a bit harsh, but you know what I mean.

Or........they tell you what you want to hear (maybe)???

The same shit is repeated night after night every night of the year in the same old sad farang watering holes up and down the country.

"Thai man no good"

Funny how at the end of the shift they jump on the m/c with the Thai husband/boyfriend and go home and hand over the money so the same "Thai man no good" can go and buy whisky and drink with his mates.

Brilliant stuff, the knights in shining armour hear what they want to hear.

• Like 1

Thai Boys get spoiled by their Parents while Thai Girls have to do all the work & support their Parents when their older, I know this is a generalisation but Iv'e watched this happen in my own family & most of the ones around me.

So you end up with a load of mollycoddled Poo Chai's who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate, & when it isn't they either turn to crime,or the more motivated leave for the city & a deadend job, blame it on their families & then have little more to do with them.

Will this change? probably not given the general lack of education of everyone.. No wonder it's so hard to find any Thais willing to work hard for you despite giving them good wages, When I built my house the best workers were invariably Women...

I knew a Chinese female citizen in U.S.A. she was educated and could speak fluent English. We discussed many things. One of our discussions led to her stating: In China if you don't work you DON'T EAT. Beautiful.......

There are many Thais out there think the same, the majority of farangs never get to meet them, their teerak steers them away from these hard working industrious people.

Ing from Khon Kaen is one such woman, a brilliant woman I am more than proud to call her a friend, her family have similair values to me and my wife, and believe me these people look down on the low lifers more than we do.

• Like 1

I have never seen more "enablers" in my life as I do living in Thailand.

Remind me what they have invented then! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

The sick buffalo?

Naw, back to Dancelot's OP and DILLIGAD's wise comment about not being too sure of yourself after you've "bought the farm," I can assure you of just two things.

I wouldn't ever have had step-kids in the US. They'll do the same in telling you that you can't boss them around. BUT at least I actually own the property so I could have a prenup, but even then I wouldn't.

As someone else on this forum once said, "Why choose your last piece of candy for life when you live in a candy store?"

And no, I couldn't change that lazy boy once he's about 4 - 5 years of age. His life experience is already set.

I think if you met the right Thai lady, and she had a kid, you would marry her. You never know whats around the corner.
  • Like 1

The sick buffalo?

I think if you met the right Thai lady, and she had a kid, you would marry her. You never know whats around the corner.

With all respect, you don't know me. First, I'm older and I've been there and recovered including financially. Second, I prefer living in the US and spending perhaps 30 - 40% of my time traveling and not always to Thailand. I probably average about 3 months a year in Thailand which will probably increase some now but not to 1/2 my time.

Next, I far prefer to rent than to buy in Thailand and that's anything. I may buy a car on my next trip and rent an apartment, but I don't even know yet if I'm allowed to own a car there. I'll be looking into that. I will rent an apartment.

I like my freedom and will never get married. Period. My life is far too good for my personality just as it is, and there's no room for a wife. Girlfriends work out nicely for me.

NS,

good man, you stick by your principles, too many fools seem to take leave of their senses upon arrival on these shores.

For me personally, I didnt take up with "welfare mothers" in my home country, and I sure as heck didnt move half way round the world to take up with them here.

Living here, I have seen all the train wrecks, funny they always told me their girl was different.

The sick buffalo?

With all respect, you don't know me. First, I'm older and I've been there and recovered including financially. Second, I prefer living in the US and spending perhaps 30 - 40% of my time traveling and not always to Thailand. I probably average about 3 months a year in Thailand which will probably increase some now but not to 1/2 my time.

Next, I far prefer to rent than to buy in Thailand and that's anything. I may buy a car on my next trip and rent an apartment, but I don't even know yet if I'm allowed to own a car there. I'll be looking into that. I will rent an apartment.

I like my freedom and will never get married. Period. My life is far too good for my personality just as it is, and there's no room for a wife. Girlfriends work out nicely for me.

For someone who is 'Never Sure' you seem to have a fighting chance of having a good time here!

Good luck, Buddy!

Edited by DILLIGAD

The truth is that those how remain in the village are either to lazy or to thick to get work other than following a cows arse all day.

I speak reasonably fluent Issan and Thai and whilst living in a village was amazed at the monotany of life.

Anyone with any get up and go was already gone.