What do school grades mean. ie 3.1 = ?

harrry

My neice has a grade of 3.1 for her M6. I am pleased for her that she got that and know she has worked reasonably hard throughout her school. THis is not a post on the could have done better lines.

I am wondering if someone could shed some light on how this relates to uni entrance or a bell curve or whatever as for a foreigner outside the system here I have little idea how it works.

I must say that I have been impressed with the care she has received at her Government School and the obvious hard work and dedication her teachers have shown despite almost impossible class sizes. Within a system which is not my one of choice they seem to at least work hard.

GPA = grade point average. Most use 4 as 100%. Some would call it a 'B' (3.0).

How it relates to university entrance or quota depends on some other stuff.

When she applies for a specific university they will give her some points for GPA, for uni test scores and ...(?)

The total score will be used to compare her with other applicants for whichever uni/faculty she is trying to get into.

GPA = grade point average. Most use 4 as 100%. Some would call it a 'B' (3.0).

How it relates to university entrance or quota depends on some other stuff.

When she applies for a specific university they will give her some points for GPA, for uni test scores and ...(?)

The total score will be used to compare her with other applicants for whichever uni/faculty she is trying to get into.

Thanks...

You mentioned the school she attends in the CR forum before, something about a Christmas show, and it is a private school with class sizes of around 30 which is very different to a government school with 40-50 in a class! But she should be happy with a 3.1 clap2.gif

That is my other niece.

I have two....the one that finishes at the private school this year and starts at the same high school the other one goes to currently.

Yes there is a difference but the care and parental involvement seems similar in both.

To clarify one is the daughter of the son of my wifes brother who is in no position to help her currently. Her grandfather pays her private school fees and she is cared for by her great grandmother but as her mother has no contact since just after birth was cared for largely by my wife and considers her her mum. My wife does all the contact with the school and meetings etc. I help with paying a small amount of outside school tutoring.

The older one is the daughter of the deceased brother of my wife. She attends government school. My wife similarly has cared for her most of her life. I will be taking some responsibility for her although her living expenses are currently covered by the families small rice income. I have helped her with paying some school fees and some english classes. I will be helping her more to go to uni but only in an assisting capacity.

Both have done OK at school. I think the one at the Government school has posibly been nurtured the most by the school. I know this is not the opinion most have of thai teachers. Yes the sylabus is not great.

The 3.1 is from the government school. I do not know what it is possible for her to have achieved but I am happy with what she has done. I just needed to know how it fits in.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

You mentioned the school she attends in the CR forum before, something about a Christmas show, and it is a private school with class sizes of around 30 which is very different to a government school with 40-50 in a class! But she should be happy with a 3.1 clap2.gif

That is my other niece.

I have two....the one that finishes at the private school this year and starts at the same high school the other one goes to currently.

Yes there is a difference but the care and parental involvement seems similar in both.

To clarify one is the daughter of the son of my wifes brother who is in no position to help her currently. Her grandfather pays her private school fees and she is cared for by her grandmother but as her mother has no contact since just after birth was cared for largely by my wife and considers her her mum. My wife does all the contact with the school and meetings etc. I help with paying a small amount of outside school tutoring.

The older one is the daughter of the deceased brother of my wife. She attends government school. My wife similarly has cared for her most of her life. I will be taking some responsibility for her although her living expenses are currently covered by the families small rice income. I have helped her with paying some school fees and some english classes. I will be helping her more to go to uni but only in an assisting capacity.

Both have done OK at school. I think the one at the Government school has posibly been nurtured the most by the school. I know this is not the opinion most have of thai teachers. Yes the sylabus is not great.

The 3.1 is from the government school. I do not know what it is possible for her to have achieved but I am happy with what she has done. I just needed to know how it fits in.

Sorry, I didn't see the M6 bit in your original post wai2.gif

• Like 1

A GPA of 4 equates to 80%, 3.5 is 75-79, and 3 is 70-74. It's difficult to compare across schools as vary very much in the rigor of their assessment. Some schools give easy 4's while some schools are much tougher. A 3.1 in my private school would be average, but it could be above average in a government school. Very rarely will a student get an overall 4 in my school. GPA is a part of university entrance; there will be a multitude of university entrace exams to be done as well. Then there is the GAT and PAT, which are used for many courses.

Ok from this I get that she is within the range that may be able to handle academic study in Thailand. I just did not want her biting off more than she could chew. I get the impression from these comments that while not the highest it is a grade which would be shared by others at university.

The final grades for each subject (Maths, English, Music, Sport etc) are averaged to give the final GPA at the end of each academic year.

For each individual subject the grades are awarded after completion of course work, interim exams, final exams etc.

The overall score for each subject is expressed as a percentage.

Whist the maximum score potentially achievable is 100%, a (top) grade 4 is awarded for a score of 80% or higher.

The grades then decrease as follows:

75-79%=3.5

70-74%=3.0

65-69%=2.5

60-64%=2.0

55-59%=1.5

50-54%=1.0

There is no grade 0.5

Any final score below 50% should be a failure (grade 0) but most (all?) schools will 'raise' the actual score to a 50% pass mark.

That means your niece averaged slightly higher than 70% across all of her subjects.

Hope this is clear.