Where do you go when you need a break?

villagefarang

Amidst complaints and boasts, I got an idea. Most of us enjoy the trip reports of those who visit Chiang Rai but as it is not yet the holiday season, there isn’t much action on that thread.

As residents of Chiang Rai, I thought it might be interesting to discuss where we go and what we do when we need a break from paradise. What are we looking for? Is it beaches, mountains, snow, cities, or perhaps our less developed neighbors? Do we travel within Thailand, go to other Asian countries or do we seek out Western or European destinations?

How does living in Chiang Rai affect where you choose to travel or is travel no longer of interest?

Next year I plan to be a long way from the province from the start of March until the end of April. The smoke has been so bad these last two years and the hills all around me are on fire every night. No one obeys the law or has any regard for it al all. The huge picture of pretty Yingluck, by the entrance to the airport road, saying " Do not burn" in English didn't do much good.

Going to try visiting Mandalay and Bagan before they get so overrun with tourist. Also looking forward to the new bridge in Chiang Khong opening so I can take a weekend drive down south in Laos.

Have to admit that March and April are really bad months for me and I rather be somewhere else. However, every where around us is the same.

• Like 1

The heat of April in Thailand can be too much for me. And I hate to become a prisoner of air con. Never been, but have contemplated escapes to Aussie or NZ to take advantage of the equatorial difference in seasons.

But can it be done economically? Any tips from natives on reasonable getaways?

• Like 1

The heat of April in Thailand can be too much for me. And I hate to become a prisoner of air con. Never been, but have contemplated escapes to Aussie or NZ to take advantage of the equatorial difference in seasons.

But can it be done economically? Any tips from natives on reasonable getaways?

Unless you have free acomodation forget Australia. Food at home can be affordable there but other costs are sky high.

My personal favorite for a short break is the place everyone loves to hate....Singapore.

It is possible from time to time to get return tickets for 8000baht from ChiangMai. Accomodation is expensive but if you go across the border to Johore it becomes much cheaper and it is an easy trip across.

In Singapore things just work..or when they do not they fix them. I got stuck on a wheelchair stair lift in and arcade, within a minute someone was there who stayed with me to see I was allright and called the service people to come and fix me. Within half an hour the chair was on the move again. the half hour was well spent admiring the singapore beauties who walked past on the stairs.

The metro works and is accessible to wheelchairs. The footpaths permit easy wheelchair travel The people are quite nice though during the day very busy. Food is good and cheap and clean.

I love here but a few days is a nice break.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I like heading to the beach. Vietnam, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, etc. It makes for a good getaway and I love watching the waves roll in and salt air. The other getaway I like is to visit the different Resorts in Thailand since I am a nature buff. Being retired, i do stop and smell the roses now. Got to enjoy it while it lasts boys.

• Like 1

Travel around thailand and closed country

is the best think to do when need a break

stop for long time at any place in thai or also in the world

will be boring.

Last month we do 5200 km in 20 days

cha am first place where we stop i found hotel expensive 2000 baht a day

and soo we continue drive until praciuap kirikan where we found accomantion in front of the beach for 800 baht.

2 3 day in praciuap and after stay in one hotel in one beach 80 km more in south

then 5 night in koh phangan

one german friend make us stay in him beautiful house with swimming pool and private beach looking koh samui in front of us.

Then go to ratchaburi for one night where my girl friend separate one cinaot of land she got in eredity

from her grand mother.

After we go shopping a little in bangkok for buy what is impossible to found in chiang rai.

Try same very good italian restaurant in bkk of friends in winter come in nord thai with motorcicle.

After 2 night i was boring in bkk.i call another friend famous in bkk

and i say may be at night i will go to eat him restaurant

but him was in na jomtien near pty

for open one beautiful restaurant with 300 mt of private beach

and so we decided to go visit him.

Him work very well because

do him business with thai patner

if not do like this

thai will not allow him to make a lot of money.

Thai people until we make a business like a mot they don't care

but if we do a lot of money

they will be gelous.

We stay 4 days at him house in jomtien him rent for 80.000 thai baht a month

the house was beautifil but too hot inside,village with private swimming pool and 2 him dog swim with me

one girl take care of him from north myanmar but look like indian.

This friend have 4 motobike 2 ducati and 2 triumph

i try tiger 1200 cc and ducati diavel also if the street around pty are nothing for enjoi.

Then we go 2 night in koh chang quired and raining.

Come back pty 2 night

friend still want we sleep with him but i prefer say i must to go away and sleep in hotel for 2 days for look also others friends.

Then go bkk same hours and we go nakon phatom because

one shower spa in chiang rai that cost 64.000 baht

in a factory in nakon phatom we got for 24.000.the more simple shower in c rai price was 30.000 baht

I come back in north thai for travel with motocicle but too much rain

tomorrow i must to come back in my coutry

next month my mother will make happy birthday and will be 90 years old and me 50.

Are already same years i spend 2 month in thai and 2 in italy

she is ok but i try to keep her alive

and soo may be i will be back in chiang rai in dicember and january

for enjoi travel with motobike

most of the time alone and sametimes with friends.

Before yesterday last trip with family

go to see one friend in chiang seng cannot found and soo i continue chiang khong phucifa chiang rai

one trip of 320 km in 7 hours with stop include for eating and relax.

The big news for next year will be that

we will be allow to enter in mynmar with our own veicle of trasportation

and we are waiting for have a new destination for travel.

The bridge in chiang seng is finish but they still working for building customs

and i don't know if will ready like they talk for next month.

I go to look also the curcuit for run near mae lao

is samething for children not for human

in my country also for go kart will be too small

i try also if was raining

all sharp small rettilineum max speed 100 kmh because very short.

Normally i alwayes drive from chiang rai to phuket

last year we do in 23 hours and 50 minutes without stop

for do 1700 km of distance,but i need to try to stop to run like this.

Edited by siriweith

The smoke problem occurs in many countries around the world, north and south
of the equator and according to the seasons. It is a problem that will stay,
it is beyond control and it will get worse as the world population increases.

Life is highly unpleasant in Chiang Rai province during the smoke season and
I intend to relocate annually, from February to the end of May.

Where? Southern Africa and parts of Indonesia.

• Like 1

I believe the problem is solvable and only a few years away.

Other means of disposing of organic waste are already used in other countries.

When I was a kid in Australia farmers burnt off excess vegetation every year, now you can't even have a backyard incinerator.

The topic is turning into an 'annual smoke' topic.

If OP and moderators permit, I would like to ask scea which other disposal means
of organic waste exist and how these disposal means can be implemented on terrain
which is not accessible for wheeled vehicles?

Please also elaborate on how labour intensive and costly these methods are.
If chemicals are used, what are the long term effects? (Do some reading
on the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam.)

The smoke is caused by 'Slash and Burn Agriculture'. The link below gives
an objective explanation.

http://geography.about.com/od/urbaneconomicgeography/a/slashburn.htm

The problem is beyond control because no international organisation,
e.g. the United Nations, is willing or daring to tackle the problems created
by slash and burn agriculture.

Ecologist Mike Hands has been searching for solutions since the mid 1980's
but has failed to get the backing from the U.N.

http://www.ingafoundation.org/

Our 'annual smoke' is showing us how unpleasant the future can be if we do not
put the environment before profit.

Each year topics are started that discuss the problem of burning. They tend to be highly emotive and controversial. Perhaps that discussion is better taken up in another thread, not this one hmj.

I admire Scea’s optimism and hope he is right. I think he is on the right track but I have a less optimistic timeline in mind. Things will change, the question is how and when.

Back on topic, we don’t travel to get away from the smoke. We travel to see friends, do interesting things or visit interesting places. I prefer to do that during good weather and not during the burning season.

Maybe I can help steer this somewhat back to the original topic. I love the beach, but don't really want to live there full-time. Besides, the seasons favor the Andaman sometimes and the Gulf other times. I've been to many Thai beaches, but don't really have a favorite yet.

Koh Samui was good in the old days but way overdeveloped now. Bang Tao on Phuket is one I've returned to several times. But there are hundreds to choose from.

So my question is, what is your favorite FAMILY beach for a getaway? That is, one away from the bar/girl scene. (I'm too old and too married for that anyway). Just a nice beach for swimming with decent hotels and restaurants?

• Like 1

Maybe I can help steer this somewhat back to the original topic. I love the beach, but don't really want to live there full-time. Besides, the seasons favor the Andaman sometimes and the Gulf other times. I've been to many Thai beaches, but don't really have a favorite yet.

Koh Samui was good in the old days but way overdeveloped now. Bang Tao on Phuket is one I've returned to several times. But there are hundreds to choose from.

So my question is, what is your favorite FAMILY beach for a getaway? That is, one away from the bar/girl scene. (I'm too old and too married for that anyway). Just a nice beach for swimming with decent hotels and restaurants?

Thanks for trying to get us back on topic. Just in case Kevvy is not reading this topic, send him a PM and ask if he could offer up some suggestions in this thread
There are members who visit the beach part of the year but they seem to be reluctant to post in this topic for some reason.
I can’t help as we don’t go to the beach in Thailand. For us visiting family means Hawaii, so we get our fill of beaches and islands while there.

When my new house is built chiang rai members are welcome to visit or i can show them around or take them deep sea fishing

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I are going to Trang next week to do some work and have some rest as well. Looking forward to that. 2 weeks later, we are going to Krabi for 5 days as a friend of mine is coming over from Vienna and My wife and I will show him and his wife around the islands. Looking forward to that as well. Then in December we are off to chiang rai and then onto the border to have a look around .I will find that interesting .

• Like 1

Just had 4 days in Chiang Mai. Took the family as the school children are on holidays. Did the tourist attractions eg Zoo ect. Found having Thai driving licence very handy. At Night Safari advertised price was 800 Baht for adult. Showed DL and charged 300 Baht. First time driving in Chiang Mai. Got lost a few times but part of the fun. Great weather until drive home today. Rain most of the way with dense fog while coming down the mountain.

• Like 1

Plenty clouds and rain up this way too.

I felt sorry for those showing up at the resort today, it was raining and you couldn't see a thing, the clouds were so thick. We were well down the mountain before we could see more than 50 meters in front of us.

It was a lovely drive to Pai, as usual, even though it was raining off and on. There are enough people here to make it interesting but it's not crowded yet. It's much warmer here and we sure didn't need our jackets to walk around on the walking street tonight.

There's much more action here but I do miss the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app