BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
villagefarang

Where do you go when you need a break?

The smoke problem occurs in many countries around the world, north and south
of the equator and according to the seasons. It is a problem that will stay,
it is beyond control and it will get worse as the world population increases.

Life is highly unpleasant in Chiang Rai province during the smoke season and
I intend to relocate annually, from February to the end of May.

Where? Southern Africa and parts of Indonesia.

• Like 1

I believe the problem is solvable and only a few years away.

Other means of disposing of organic waste are already used in other countries.

When I was a kid in Australia farmers burnt off excess vegetation every year, now you can't even have a backyard incinerator.

The topic is turning into an 'annual smoke' topic.

If OP and moderators permit, I would like to ask scea which other disposal means
of organic waste exist and how these disposal means can be implemented on terrain
which is not accessible for wheeled vehicles?

Please also elaborate on how labour intensive and costly these methods are.
If chemicals are used, what are the long term effects? (Do some reading
on the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam.)

The smoke is caused by 'Slash and Burn Agriculture'. The link below gives
an objective explanation.

http://geography.about.com/od/urbaneconomicgeography/a/slashburn.htm

The problem is beyond control because no international organisation,
e.g. the United Nations, is willing or daring to tackle the problems created
by slash and burn agriculture.

Ecologist Mike Hands has been searching for solutions since the mid 1980's
but has failed to get the backing from the U.N.

http://www.ingafoundation.org/

Our 'annual smoke' is showing us how unpleasant the future can be if we do not
put the environment before profit.

Each year topics are started that discuss the problem of burning. They tend to be highly emotive and controversial. Perhaps that discussion is better taken up in another thread, not this one hmj.

I admire Scea’s optimism and hope he is right. I think he is on the right track but I have a less optimistic timeline in mind. Things will change, the question is how and when.

Back on topic, we don’t travel to get away from the smoke. We travel to see friends, do interesting things or visit interesting places. I prefer to do that during good weather and not during the burning season.

Maybe I can help steer this somewhat back to the original topic. I love the beach, but don't really want to live there full-time. Besides, the seasons favor the Andaman sometimes and the Gulf other times. I've been to many Thai beaches, but don't really have a favorite yet.

Koh Samui was good in the old days but way overdeveloped now. Bang Tao on Phuket is one I've returned to several times. But there are hundreds to choose from.

So my question is, what is your favorite FAMILY beach for a getaway? That is, one away from the bar/girl scene. (I'm too old and too married for that anyway). Just a nice beach for swimming with decent hotels and restaurants?

• Like 1

Maybe I can help steer this somewhat back to the original topic. I love the beach, but don't really want to live there full-time. Besides, the seasons favor the Andaman sometimes and the Gulf other times. I've been to many Thai beaches, but don't really have a favorite yet.

Koh Samui was good in the old days but way overdeveloped now. Bang Tao on Phuket is one I've returned to several times. But there are hundreds to choose from.

So my question is, what is your favorite FAMILY beach for a getaway? That is, one away from the bar/girl scene. (I'm too old and too married for that anyway). Just a nice beach for swimming with decent hotels and restaurants?

Thanks for trying to get us back on topic. Just in case Kevvy is not reading this topic, send him a PM and ask if he could offer up some suggestions in this thread
There are members who visit the beach part of the year but they seem to be reluctant to post in this topic for some reason.
I can’t help as we don’t go to the beach in Thailand. For us visiting family means Hawaii, so we get our fill of beaches and islands while there.

When my new house is built chiang rai members are welcome to visit or i can show them around or take them deep sea fishing

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I needed a break so we're up at Doi Angkhang tonight. Absolutely beautiful.

The wife and I are going to Trang next week to do some work and have some rest as well. Looking forward to that. 2 weeks later, we are going to Krabi for 5 days as a friend of mine is coming over from Vienna and My wife and I will show him and his wife around the islands. Looking forward to that as well. Then in December we are off to chiang rai and then onto the border to have a look around .I will find that interesting .

• Like 1

I needed a break so we're up at Doi Angkhang tonight. Absolutely beautiful.

After two beautiful and chilly nights the clouds and rain settled in today, so we're off to Pai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just had 4 days in Chiang Mai. Took the family as the school children are on holidays. Did the tourist attractions eg Zoo ect. Found having Thai driving licence very handy. At Night Safari advertised price was 800 Baht for adult. Showed DL and charged 300 Baht. First time driving in Chiang Mai. Got lost a few times but part of the fun. Great weather until drive home today. Rain most of the way with dense fog while coming down the mountain.

• Like 1

Plenty clouds and rain up this way too.

I felt sorry for those showing up at the resort today, it was raining and you couldn't see a thing, the clouds were so thick. We were well down the mountain before we could see more than 50 meters in front of us.

It was a lovely drive to Pai, as usual, even though it was raining off and on. There are enough people here to make it interesting but it's not crowded yet. It's much warmer here and we sure didn't need our jackets to walk around on the walking street tonight.

There's much more action here but I do miss the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app